• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman |OT| The World is Ready for You, Gal Gad [SPOILERS]

Their kiss was amazing. The best in years. Felt earned as fuck. Nothing like "It's all downhill from there first kiss" in the ruins of Metropolis.

BTW, I realized the photo was important because it was the only proof of Diana's existence, given the gas killed all the village who saw her.

And the only picture she had with Steve.

Bizazedo

Decent to good film. Needed about 20 minute cut off, but I enjoyed it. Gadot did better than anticipated and matched Pine very well. I was happy about that.

Film is basically their version of Captain America: The First Avenger and there's nothing wrong with that.

They did a shitty job of explaining her power. She had a bandage and blood from the first fight on the island, but later on is never hit by any bullets. Or shrapnel. Or anything.

Oh, also, she learned to fly when she discovered she was a demigod.

I'm okay with her being OP as hell, but at least build to it.

Spud's character, Charlie, isn't developed well at all. First he's a sniper who can't shoot anyone....then he's happy and can play a piano / is singing again....then he's blowing people away again at the end of the movie.

I can make up stuff to link these pieces, but it's it's just that, my own assumptions.

I didn't mind how Ares looked UNTIL they zoomed in on him. I just can't buy Ares looking like a weak guy with a weak mustache. He was a good actor, sounded great, but by no means looked the part after he transformed.

Also, I find it hilarious that Steve Trevor technically saved more people than Diana.

Their kiss was amazing. The best in years. Felt earned as fuck. Nothing like "It's all downhill from there first kiss" in the ruins of Metropolis.

BTW, I realized the photo was important because it was the only proof of Diana's existence, given the gas killed all the village who saw her.

It's not, all those German soldiers / her own team saw her after Ares died and the sun came out and they all were happy they survived. It's also unlikely that all the soldiers from the trench died in that town.

The photo was important to her because it was a treasured memory for her, not because it kept her secret.

There was a post I saw purporting to be a spoiler which claimed that Thewlis was Ares and that Huston's character was the Duke of Deception, one of Ares' minions from the comics, so while watching the movie I was expecting the reveal to be that there were supernatural forces working together to pit both sides against each other. That would have made more sense, I think.

I knew Thewlis was going to be Ares when they had that tride-and-true "secret bad guy playing a good guy" scene where Thewlis says for no reason whatsoever that they need to stand down from their mission. The only reason for it to be there is for the reveal later. It was still fun as fuck to see Thewlis' head on a cgi God of War body. I'm was almost thinking this was gonna disappoint in the action department until that last fight, which totally redeemed it. His disappearing act was cool as shit too!

Loved the movie by the way. I got surprisingly emotional and that rarely happens to me. If I had two complaints though, the first would be that some of the green screen was shoddy as fuck for a big movie like this. Second would be that it bothered the fuck out of me for some reason that none of the Germans noticed that Danny Huston fight in the watchtower...like what the fuck? Especially after the fight when she's just standing up there. I kept expecting them to attack but nope.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's not, all those German soldiers / her own team saw her after Ares died and the sun came out and they all were happy they survived. It's also unlikely that all the soldiers from the trench died in that town.

The photo was important to her because it was a treasured memory for her, not because it kept her secret.

Or that someone would find that photo and be, like, "business woman from 2017, you look like this soldier from WWI, you're the same person!".

They did a shitty job of explaining her power. She had a bandage and blood from the first fight on the island, but later on is never hit by any bullets. Or shrapnel. Or anything.

I'm okay with her being OP as hell, but at least build to it..

...except that's literally what happened. Weee you paying attention? The movie does a perfect job of demonstrating how her powers grew from start to finish.

vypek

Was that learning to fly? I couldn't tell for sure. It seemed like it but then it didn't seem to continue. Or maybe I was confused as to what was her jumping and moving in slower motion. Like at the end I can't tell if she jumps off the building and the scene slows or if she is flying over the town in that pose.

I didn't like that Ares weapons were disintegrated before touching her. I guess it's a power of hers but I was lost on that.

Sean C

The tiara belonged to Antiope, who saved her and is considered the strongest warrior. She probably wore it to honour her.
Actually, speaking of the tiara, in the comics she can throw the tiara like a razor-sharp boomerang. I'm disappointed we didn't see that.

I didn't like that Ares weapons were disintegrated before touching her. I guess it's a power of hers but I was lost on that.
I believe that's a version of the cross-arm shield power she used to protect the guys from Doomsday's energy blast in BvS.

Also not much explanation for her costume or why she even bothers wearing a tiara with it too.

The tiara was from Antiope.

The costume was shown earlier and you actually see similar design lines repeated in Hippolyta every day outfit. The bird motif in particular appears in the armor form and in chest cutout in the film.

Wonder-Woman-Trailer-2-Queen-Hippolyta-and-Diana.jpg

f3706abc7c2a4911afa91697c3df6d02.jpg

31f1319665be244e9469823ac64cef2c.jpg

They hint at the W motif in the belt in the basic Amazon outfit.

Which is to say it's a shinier version of Amazon armor and Hippolyta's armor in particular.

The scene with her crawling up the tower is supposed to be showing her growing strength and godhood. The first scene with the bullets in London, he coming to terms with her enhanced reflexes and the bracelets.

Penguin

Well there was all the Germans who saw her fight the literal God of War in front of em.

Minor thing: Hippolyta says that if Diana leaves she may not come back, which...why, exactly? Steve and the Germans found it easily enough.

I figured the implication was Ares might kill her. Also, Steve and the Germans just kind of stumbled across the island. Diana may not know the way back.

I took it as more of a hey if you leave this place there's a possibility you won't come back kinda thing, not like she's forbidden from ever returning.

First time I saw it, I read it as her banishing her from the island.

Second time, I read it as a mother concerned that her daughter would die on her adventure.

Also rewatching the movie, I want... need a spin-off with Etta and Sameer and Chief. The side characters are so fun.

Bizazedo

Or that someone would find that photo and be, like, "business woman from 2017, you look like this soldier from WWI, you're the same person!".

Agreed, they handled it poorly in the movie.

...except that's literally what happened. Weee you paying attention? The movie does a perfect job of demonstrating how her powers grew from start to finish.
Yeah. Makes no sense as to why her power grew for no apparent reason.

vypek

I believe that's a version of the cross-arm shield power she used to protect the guys from Doomsday's energy blast in BvS.

Oh okay. I didn't see BvS. Alright so it's something people already know about. Glad to get the explanation. Thanks

MisterHero

How does Wonder Woman get her hero name? And is it used often?

I feel like lots of cape movies have trouble using codenames in dialogue

Poona

The tiara belonged to Antiope, who saved her and is considered the strongest warrior. She probably wore it to honour her.

Ok, guess I'll need to rewatch it. Can't even recall her wearing it (though I'm sure if I see a pic of her she'll have it). Sad she died quick too.

Yeah. Makes no sense as to why her power grew for no apparent reason.

Her mother pretty much says that she'd get stronger the more she was tested.

How does Wonder Woman get her hero name? And is it used often?

I feel like lots of cape movies have trouble using codenames in dialogue

No one ever says "Wonder Woman".

Ok, guess I'll need to rewatch it. Can't even recall her wearing it (though I'm sure if I see a pic of her she'll have it). Sad she died quick too.

Yeah, you can see it here.

Chris pine was great in this and a nice love story between Steven and Diana

I would love wall paper of the scene where she is holding up her shield between the two trenches

All in all a fun movie

Edit: no post credit scene

Einchy

Really enjoyed the movie. Hated that it ended in a prolonged DBZ slugfest yet again. DC needs to get away from that.

Would've been way better if the final fight scene was her fighting normal dudes like in the village scene and it was more about Dr. Poison. I liked it more when Ares was more of an idea or a concept than an actual person.

They dont really grow, I'd say it's more of a "the ONE" situation where once she realizes she's the "god killer" or whatever, she blocks the shrapnel with her mind Matrix-like Neo-style. I though that was cool though and loved how she layed the smackdown.

People might complain about the fact she's never directly hit with a bullet or shrapnel, which is pretty fucking lucky I'll give 'em that, but I'm glad they didn't bother with the "nursing back to health" bullshit we see in movies all the fucking time now.

Man, that final Pine stare into the camera was FUH-KING BUH-ROO-TAL! Then Diana going from raging apeshit to cool as fuck and killing a God literally with the flick of a her wrist. That's just amazing. Man, I'm loving this more and more with every passing minute.

Would've been way better if the final fight scene was her fighting normal dudes like in the village scene and it was more about Dr. Poison. I liked it more when Ares was more of an idea or a concept than an actual person.

When Dapper Ares disappeared behind the glass, I thought, "oh cool he's more of a psychological villain." Then he put on his armor and I was like awww man. You never really wanna see Batman slug it out with the Joker. And Ares could have been a good recurring foil for her. Since you can never really eliminate war, it would have been a cool ongoing struggle for mankind's soul kind of thing like how the Joker wants to corrupt Gotham city.

Really enjoyed the movie! But damn for some reason the fight with Ares just seemed so outta place for me lol in my opinion the cgi was pretty bad at some points but when she was fighting soldiers and the thugs it was great. This has made me more excited for Justice League.

Just got out. I only have one immediate complaint...
Ares having that same mustache in the flashback of getting struck down by Zeus.

Other than that, I was thoroughly entertained.

it was fine.. gadot and pine were really charming

the third act is just such a buzzkill and really drags it down

too long

edit: side note fuck people who bring crying babies to the movie theaters.. either wait for the movie on redbox or get a babysitter

Really enjoyed the movie. Hated that it ended in a prolonged DBZ slugfest yet again. DC needs to get away from that.

I loved it, you people complain about these "slugfests" but that's what a lot of these comics were about, slugging it the fuck out in the end. I actually like that we get these "mano y mano" fights in DC films as opposed to the faceless horde of morons we usually get in a lot of these other superhero movies.

You at least have to not only respect the utter bat-shit craziness of putting Thewles' head on a cgi God of War body, but actually making it work somehow. The choreography was great and the upping of ante was just perfect. That slip'n slide she does knocking out like 30 guys at the same time was EPIC!

I loved it, you people complain about these "slugfests" but that's what a lot of these comics were about, slugging it the fuck out in the end. I actually like that we get these "mano y mano" fights in DC films as opposed to the faceless horde of morons we usually get in a lot of these other superhero movies.

You at least have to not only respect the utter bat-shit craziness of putting Thewles' head on a cgi God of War body, but actually making it work somehow. The choreography was great and the upping of ante was just perfect. That slip'n slide she does knocking out like 30 guys at the same time was EPIC!

I agree with you. You and I are probably some of the few who like over the top action to top off a superhero movie. To me a disappointing "boss fight" can leave abit of a sour taste in my mouth no matter how good the preceding stuff is. Iron Man 1 comes to mind. I hope JL delivers in that respect.

We get one on one fights all the time in superhero movies, even Marvel ones, so I don't understand treating this like it's any different.

Einchy

We get one on one fights all the time in superhero movies, even Marvel ones, so I don't understand treating this like it's any different.

And a lot of movies have started to not do this just because it's so predictable and honestly boring now. Should've gave us a beam in the sky for shits and giggles, too.

The No Man's Land fight is easily Top 3 superhero battles in comic movie history.

That moment of her taking the machine guns on with just her shield—THAT'S what sold me. What a fucking hero!

Einchy

The No Man's Land fight is easily Top 3 superhero battles in comic movie history.

That moment of her taking the machine guns on with just her shield—THAT'S what sold me. What a fucking hero!

My favorite bit was the shot of her running on the roof while Steve ran parallel to her on the ground. Something about that just looked cool as fuck.

This was fucking incredible. That No Man's Land sequence. The Mustard Gas bit. All of this was so fucking great.

This was legitimately Spider-Man 2 tier.

Sean C

I'm so glad we never got a "wow, you must be some kind of... of... wonder woman" kinda scene. Would've been so silly.
The George Perez run of the comics has my favourite explanation for the name, which is that the editor of the Boston Globe comes up with it after mistaking her costume's stylized chestplate for a W.

My favorite bit was the shot of her running on the roof while Steve ran parallel to her on the ground. Something about that just looked cool as fuck.

Yea, there's a lot of little moments like that that I loved. Two that stand out to me are the shot of Pine dropping the bomb from the plane(even though it was cgi as shit) and the shot of Gal ramming the tank. She's so fierce in those moments and just stampedes through the scene, it's great.

Last night I fell apart
Broke from my swollen heart
Born in a simple time
Raised with the simple mind
You may be a natural woman
I may be worthless without you
I'll never decide to replace you
Amen, the worst is behind us now
(Woman, woman) Oh
(Woman, woman)
(Woman)
Last night I fell apart
Choked on my drunken heart
(Woman, woman) Oh
(Woman, woman)
(Woman)
You maybe a natural woman, you! (Ah) You (Ah)
Who's that (Woman, woman)
Is that (Woman, woman)
Be my (Woman, won't you see me in the dark)
Is that (Woman, woman)
(Woman, woman) Oh
(Woman, woman)
(Woman, woman)
You may be

Watching this Friday night. BRING IT!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The No Man's Land scene was fucking amazing.

Just felt good as fuck when she goes like 'fuck this, I'm saving those people on my own'. Her march towards battle is some of the mos heroic shit I've seen in comicbook movies.

the entire sequence was great, Diana showed that she is obviously powerful but didnt go overboard with her powers unlike Supes in MoS. Patty showed the constraint that Snyder lacks when doing these type of scenes.

Patty killed it, I hope it makes some bank because I'd like this creative team back for WW2.

Last night I fell apart
Broke from my swollen heart
Born in a simple time
Raised with the simple mind
(Woman, woman) Oh
(Woman, woman)
(Woman)
Last night I fell apart
Choked on my drunken heart
(Woman, woman) Oh
(Woman, woman)
(Woman)
You maybe a natural woman, you! (Ah) You (Ah)
Is that (Woman, woman)
Is that (Woman, woman)
(Woman, woman) Oh
(Woman, woman)
(Woman, woman)
Holy shit, first we became RefreshGAF brothers and now I find you pimping out AWOLNATION in OT?
giphy.gif

Top Bottom