• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom reveal reactions

thank you.

stepbrothers.gif

edit:

well guys cant complaint here, at least i got something out of this reveal!

oeAO6sK.png

TrueGrime

If there are no video or imagine leaks then this has to be one of the most secure events period. I think they went with armed guards on this one.

PFD

Hard to even be hype about something where they have literally revealed nothing outside of a CG trailer.

Not to mention the slap-in-the-face stream that showed a bunch of adds only to abruptly cut right before the reveal. If you don't wanna show it, why even have a stream?

Minion101

Banned
Would Gaf community get goosebumps?...

Edit: Watched more. This is BS. These people just aren't used to a good sound system.

Muffdraul

Doom is like that project you half-assed once and you couldnt understand why so many people loved it. But you just went with it and incorporated that half-assness into your next 4 or 5 projects.

Can't say I recall anyone being confused about why so many people loved Doom in its day. Ever wonder if maybe its just you?

JNT

Lol yeah dude
What if these people are actually hyped?
Don't get me wrong; I know this was a very popular series back in the day, and even now twenty years later people would kill for a sequel - it's not those people I'm referring to as they are naturally interested in the game. What I am referring to is just how transparently Bethesda is building up hype in this case. It feels like textbook consumer psychology where you can pique the interest of the people that normally would not care by not letting them in on the secret.

What if these people are actually hyped?

They may be, but if this is all we get until next year, it's the definition of manufactured hype: being told how amazing something is, but no you don't get to make your own opinion, just be hyped.

Don't get me wrong; I know this was a very popular series back in the day, and even now twenty years later people would kill for a sequel - it's not those people I'm referring to as they are naturally interested in the game. What I am referring to is just how transparently Bethesda is building up hype in this case. It feels like textbook consumer psychology where you can peak the interest of the people that normally would not care by not letting them in on the secret.

yuuuuuuuuup, this.

Mihalis0013

Neo Member
BELIEVE THE HYPE
-ign

rofl

On a different note, am I the only one extremely skeptical by all this? I mean I get throwing something out to the fans at your convention, but if these reactions are authentic, then iD would know they have gold and I imagine would want that out in public as soon as possible.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they decided to release the video at one of the upcoming shows, again assuming it really is that good.

Then again, I remember thinking Doom 3 was pretty amazing for about the first 2 hours until I quickly realized that every room in the game was exactly the same and then got bored and turned it off.

Mihalis

I think Bethesda probably made the right PR move by making this reveal closed door. What you end up with is the most ardent of fans hyping it with over-the-top enthusiasm. By not showing the footage on the Internet so everyone can form their own opinion, you've shut out the potential for most criticism and are left with reaction videos like the one in this topic that ends with a hyperbolic statement like, "There's nothing else we could say to even comprehend what just happened."

It's a good way to start the early hype train rolling while still leaving the gameplay public debut card in your hand for later.

PFD

I think Bethesda probably made the right PR move by making this reveal closed door. What you end up with is the most ardent of fans hyping it with over-the-top enthusiasm. By not showing the footage on the Internet so everyone can form their own opinion, you've shut out the potential for most criticism and are left with reaction videos like the one in this topic that ends with a hyperbolic statement like, "There's nothing else we could say to even comprehend what just happened."

It's a good way to start the early hype train rolling while still leaving the gameplay public debut card in your hand for later.

I prefer CD Projekt Red's approach where they showed extended gameplay demos behind closed doors, but also released in-game footage in the form of trailers to the public (last year). That way you at least have some material to work with when reading the press previews as opposed to usingimagination.gif

Ecto311

So there is nothing out about the game but this video of people? Not one of those dipshits could record it on their phones or anything? Is it on the deepweb? Sounds great but I'm too old for hype just show it the day before its available or stfu game companies.

1. Their trick worked because now I really want to see the footage.

2. Not to be rude, but what about QuakeCon makes it still so popular? Hasn't id been kind of...for lack of a better term....irrelevant for many years now?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
that man child with the bawls energy drink helmet lmao

what is it with gaming guys and an aversion to coffee.

Coffee is generally an acquired taste, and only for fresh coffee, properly prepared. Inexpensive or stale coffee always tastes awful. Caffeine levels also vary across types. So it's a inconvenient way to maintain a regular caffeine intake and ensure a consistent quality.

Energy drinks are specifically formulated to have a consistent flavor and caffeine level. They are also more consistantly available cold, the generally preferred temperature. And the quality is equally consistant over long periods of time unlike coffee; which depends on the ingredients, person making it and how long since it has been brewed.

It's not hard to figure out why young generations not beholden to meaningless traditions would choose the more efficient, and as an average more consistent quality, choice.

But right, "LoL gamers" because younger generations establishing new behavior patterns that contradict what other generations "did in their day" is embarrassing.

/I drink espressos.

1. Their trick worked because now I really want to see the footage.

2. Not to be rude, but what about QuakeCon makes it still so popular? Hasn't id been kind of...for lack of a better term....irrelevant for many years now?

the community is great, and the conference turned into bethesdacon since a few years ago, so even if id didn't launch much games, they had suprises from bethesda, and the usual john carmack 3 hour keynotes (which won't happen anymore ;_;).

It's so sweet to see id getting a lot of love considering all the bad news regarding them since 2011. I hope they deliver hard with this game.

it's like a bad commercial from the 90's

umm just release a trailer like everyone else TBQH, nobody cares about some geeky fans reactions.

Gestault

I find it off-putting how these guys are artificially building up hype for the game.

Is it artificial because you think they're paid plugs, or because they're excited about something you haven't had a chance to see yet? Mostly serious question. People get excited and look like goobers for lots of things, and it's not artificial.

Top Bottom