• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom reveal reactions

Darknight

iw2Fm1gduvZsa.gif

That woman is like NOPE!

JNT

Is it artificial because you think they're paid plugs, or because they're excited about something you haven't had a chance to see yet? Mostly serious question. People get excited and look like goobers for lots of things, and it's not artificial.

I expanded on my one-liner above. I don't think the people being interviewed are payed to say anything. I believe they are genuinely hyped for the game. Those were not the people I was referring to in my first post which should actually read something like 'I find it off-putting how Bethesda is artificially building up hype for this game' (I'll edit that post as I can see how easily that can be misinterpreted).

The reason I feel this way is because Bethesda is showing off a new Doom to Doom fans (who will love it), and then pique our interest by not showing the game to the rest of us. All we have to go off of is the testimony of people who saw it first hand, and all of them say it's awesome. Regardless of your opinion of Doom prior to the Doom 4 reveal at Quakecon, chances are Bethesda has got your attention now. That's what I was referring to, and that's what I find off-putting.

Lucent

So i hope we get to see some footage soon. Can't hype without something.

Yeah pretty much. That didn't hype me at all.

But I guess there is that Doom beta people can access later so they can't hide it forever. People are gonna be able to judge for themselves before the game is released, so it's not like this hype video is all we're gonna see, and then people are gonna play the full game and Bethesda be like "GOT'CHA!" lol

Gestault

I expanded on my one-liner above. I don't think the people being interviewed are payed to say anything. I believe they are genuinely hyped for the game. Those were not the people I was referring to in my first post which should actually read something like 'I find it off-putting how Bethesda is artificially building up hype for this game' (I'll edit that post as I can see how easily that can be misinterpreted).

The reason I feel this way is because Bethesda is showing off a new Doom to Doom fans (who will love it), and then pique our interest by not showing the game to the rest of us. All we have to go off of is the testimony of people who saw it first hand, and all of them say it's awesome. Regardless of your opinion of Doom prior to the Doom 4 reveal at Quakecon, chances are Bethesda has got your attention now. That's what I was referring to, and that's what I find off-putting.

This may branch off a bit from what you were saying, but more or less, "If the game is so exciting, show it instead of using people's reactions to promote it"? I can totally agree with that. I have that reaction when movies are promoted the same way. That said, the game is early, and this is a video highlighting reactions. Chances are there'll be a lot to see down the road.

glottis8

Banned
I don't even remember how you got into the beta. With preorders of Wolfenstein? i didn't preorder it haha

Is there any other write up at least of what they showed?

JNT

This may branch off a bit from what you were saying, but more or less, "If the game is so exciting, show it instead of using people's reactions to promote it"? I can totally agree with that. I have that reaction when movies are promoted the same way.

Precisely. I realize that marketing has to do its thing, but marketing is really only effective when the target audience isn't really aware that they are being 'manipulated' (for lack of a better word). In this particular case I feel blatantly manipulated. The game might be super duper awesome when it's out, but that's a besides the point.

Z3M0G

This sounds unbelievable... I can't wait to see it!!

A modern Doom in the style of Doom 1 / 2 ?? Holy shit!

Yeah, reciting internet memes in real life doesn't work.

But I had no idea people loved Doom this much. Especially after not hearing anything about it for so long.

Z3M0G

Why are people saying this is a video by Bethesda promoting the game? Isnt this video just from some unaffiliated blog group?

aliensandwich

Neo Member
Reboots of old-school FPS games like Rise of the Triad, Wolfenstein, and Shadow Warrior are popping up pretty frequently nowadays, so I really believe that the new DOOM is going to be made with a lot of love.

hlhbk

The origional Doom changed my life for the positive as a 12 year old kid when it released. It got me into configuring/troubleshooting computers and led me into the IT field. While I really liked Doom 3 it wasn't really Doom to me.

I want to believe the hype here, but until I see the footage I just can't.

Doom is like that project you half-assed once and you couldnt understand why so many people loved it. But you just went with it and incorporated that half-assness into your next 4 or 5 projects.

I'd send you a copy of Masters of Doom, but I'd have to resist the urge to beat you with it.

eot

Banned
I guess it sounds promising, but even so I'd be mightily surprised if a game with a such a troubled development actually turns out well.

InsuRn

Seems like every Doom fan wet dreams: Doom II with next-gen engine = sold !
Also, fast paced multiplayer ? Thank god !

After watching that video, it sounds like the new DOOM is the greatest game that has ever been created. Those dudes were so hyped up. It was fun to see people that excited for a game, but my expectations are very very low and in check.

-MD-

I'm not even a doom fan but those people were glowing walking out of that room, I gotta see it.

Sorcerer

What other kind of reaction would one expect from QuakeCon attendees?

Put them in front of a camera and they go into worship mode, because if they don't they will be edited out.

Doom is like that project you half-assed once and you couldnt understand why so many people loved it. But you just went with it and incorporated that half-assness into your next 4 or 5 projects.
That only applies to Doom II, and only to the level design (well, I'm not counting Doom 3 here). There's nothing half-assed about the OG Doom's production, though the old team threw in everything they produced whether it fit or not. Besides, we're talking about some of the best FPSes ever devised and programmed.

Events have gotten good at preventing leaks. Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Who footage didn't get leaked from last year's Comic Con.

That only applies to Doom II, and only to the level design (well, I'm not counting Doom 3 here). There's nothing half-assed about the OG Doom's production, though the old team threw in everything they produced whether it fit or not. Besides, we're talking about some of the best FPSes ever devised and programmed.

Doom IIs level design is pretty great, just overly large and confusing to its own disadvantage at times.

Everything else about Doom II is perfect though, enemies, SSG, classic moments, secret levels... etc...

Top Bottom