• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

IronRaven

removable battery

I always laugh when people in comments still say they refuse to buy a phone that doesn't have this

I can understand the sentiment, but boy are they in the minority. Most (probably about 95% if I had to guess) average consumers don't care.

Finally a useable update to play music targeting 8.0 API. Install, open, play..still same old soft crashes

Working as intended.

Jeffrey

removable battery

I always laugh when people in comments still say they refuse to buy a phone that doesn't have this

The excuses seem less relevant these days with battery packs that can quick charge and or USB c power delivery.

Did my Japan trip just fine with my phone always on Google maps. Battery pack in the bag with USB cable out when having to charge.

Husker86

Got my S8+...shipping label for trade in was not included.

FAQ says check order page to print shipping label--no where on order page is there a place to print shipping label.

FAQ says email will come with trade in instructions--no email came.

I leave for two weeks on Friday so needed to ship this out immediately. Customer support wait time currently at 45 minutes.

So now I am returning my S8+. That's what I get for giving Samsung a chance. Apple is truly the only mobile phone company able to offer anything resembling good customer service, it's ridiculous. (Google gets an honorable mention).

FAQ says check order page to print shipping label--no where on order page is there a place to print shipping label.

I leave for two weeks on Friday so needed to ship this out immediately. Customer support wait time currently at 45 minutes.

So now I am returning my S8+. That's what I get for giving Samsung a chance. Apple is truly the only mobile phone company able to offer anything resembling good customer service, it's ridiculous. (Google gets an honorable mention).

Email with trade in shipping label comes within 24 hrs of delivery. Mine showed up in spam.

reKon

Banned

Lol Samsung's customer service blows in my experience (they didn't give me any trouble with actually repairing and replacing items), but the process was a bitch.

I think you get better support by bitching on their official forums.

Sony's customer support experience was pretty good for me. They serviced my Int'l phone in the US and got it back to me in three business days.

Jeffrey

amazon set me 2 dash wands. I know your play bezos. can't fool me.

Guess ill give one for a baby shower gift lol.

Lol Samsung's customer service blows in my experience (they didn't give me any trouble with actually repairing and replacing items), but the process was a bitch.

I think you get better support by bitching on their official forums.

Sony's customer support experience was pretty good for me. They serviced my Int'l phone in the US and got it back to me in three business days.

thats neat. makes me interested in picking up a uk premium, think its cheaper to import lol.

Jeffrey

speaking of youtube, my s8 framerate drops to like 10ish fps on videos if I rotate or do splitscreen. Have to scrub the video around to get it back to working.

hate how all google apps are kinda trash on android vs ios lol

speaking of youtube, my s8 framerate drops to like 10ish fps on videos if I rotate or do splitscreen. Have to scrub the video around to get it back to working.

hate how all google apps are kinda trash on android vs ios lol

This happens if I do background play and then bring it back to main screen again. It kind of fast forwards a little to catch up and then plays normally again lol it definitely didn't do this before recent updates though.

Jeffrey has your OP5 shipped yet?

i see a pending charge for $540 to DaShengInternationalTrade, so hopefully i get it soon lol.

You didn't use paypal? I don't order from Oneplus unless through paypal. You get a 6 month refund option. My charges have shown on paypal for 2 phones since yesterday. They are using fedex for the priority shipping so maybe it's overnight shipping.

Jeffrey

You didn't use paypal? I don't order from Oneplus unless through paypal. You get a 6 month refund option. My charges have shown on paypal for 2 phones since yesterday. They are using fedex for the priority shipping so maybe it's overnight shipping.

i generally prefer to deal with my bank then with paypal with issues lol.

didn't know about this 6 month refund option though. hmmm. nice to know.

i generally prefer to deal with my bank then with paypal with issues lol.

didn't know about this 6 month refund option though. hmmm. nice to know.

Yeah it's the best way to deal with OnePlus. Their customer service is really improved now though so I'm sure you are fine anyway.

Jeffrey

meh. might consider if:

- embedded fingerprint sensor in the front, or put it in a better place on the back.
- 6gb ram option in the US. seems like that option for s8 makes the memory management comparable to... any other normal android phone lol.

That's about it?

meh. might consider if:

- embedded fingerprint sensor in the front, or put it in a better place on the back.
- 6gb ram option in the US. seems like that option for s8 makes the memory management comparable to... any other normal android phone lol.

That's about it?

Rumor is 4k screen lol. Also dual camera with fingerprint reader underneath dual camera. Looks like OnePlus missed my shipping deadline. Maybe because I ordered a car charger as well. It's sad to see YouTube reviewers giving OnePlus a pass on the screen. Only way they will change is if people give them shit about it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I haven't heard anything, but love for the latest Moto G5 Plus.

It's not a flagship, but it's great for the price. The newer chip definitely helps smooth out performance over the G4.
That's probably what I'm going to get, it seems like the most solid phone for me right now. Read another review last night and said the camera is around S7 level, which is partly what I wanted from a new phone. But I also read that the G5S Plus should be revealed by the end of the month, so I'm sure I can wait until then.

Sony
I currently have a Z3 Compact that is falling apart in some bits (the port cover's rubber seal is falling off). I also don't like any of the software changes or additions Sony does, so I'm looking to move away from them.

Be your own hero. Found a startup. Get out there and be somebody! There's a future in it.
That'd be great, but I've been been in line with the mainstream. I think I'd make something too niche to be successful with. Or maybe there are more people like me out there than I think and I just don't see them. One thing I know for sure is that I'd never put a bloody glass back on a phone.

Seems like a Pixel is your hero. You miss your Nexus 4 (which was designed by Google and built by LG). You're either an ASOP man or LG man, it seems.
Pixel would be great if there was a model at the Nexus 4 price. I was only ever looking at flagship level because the mid-range didn't quite have what I was looking for, but it's too much for a man of my means who likes to buy a phone separately from the SIM.

Apple
I've considered it before, but I'd be wasting all of the money I've spent on Android apps (not too much, but there has been money spent). There's also the cost thing, I see Apple as you paying for the service, and I neither need nor want that.

Man I screwed up. So I've been eying to get the One Plus for my mom when launched here in India, which is today. A friend of mine who is a distributer for LG, has an exclusive employee discount for the purchase of LG G6 with more than 50% off.

LG G6 is $800 here in India. It is available on Amazon India right now for $620. The discount through my friend would have got me the phone for $360 and somehow I passed and made another friend of mine get it.

Now the One Plus is launched at $590 for the 8GB version. I regret passing on the G6, yes I didn't know what I was thinking. Man...

kaiyo

I currently have a Z3 Compact that is falling apart in some bits (the port cover's rubber seal is falling off). I also don't like any of the software changes or additions Sony does, so I'm looking to move away from them.
Why didn't/aren't you use the magnetic charging port? Since the Z3+/4, they don't have covers for the USB ports anymore.

What software change/additions?

NeOak

Man I screwed up. So I've been eying to get the One Plus for my mom when launched here in India, which is today. A friend of mine who is a distributer for LG, has an exclusive employee discount for the purchase of LG G6 with more than 50% off.

LG G6 is $800 here in India. It is available on Amazon India right now for $620. The discount through my friend would have got me the phone for $360 and somehow I passed and made another friend of mine get it.

Now the One Plus is launched at $590 for the 8GB version. I regret passing on the G6, yes I didn't know what I was thinking. Man...

You saved your mom from the possibility of bootloops in one to two years.

Jeffrey

Well you passed for some reason. Don't second guess decisions in the past!

Rumor is 4k screen lol. Also dual camera with fingerprint reader underneath dual camera. Looks like OnePlus missed my shipping deadline. Maybe because I ordered a car charger as well. It's sad to see YouTube reviewers giving OnePlus a pass on the screen. Only way they will change is if people give them shit about it.
So many people are giving the screen a pass though. "1080p is more than enough" or "I can't tell the difference."

Ty4on

Same exact panel in 3T and OP5. http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-...-same-display-panel-as-the-OnePlus-3T_id95192

These are getting sold when they come in. I'll stick with a rootable Note 5 I have coming in with 1440P screen. Also I turned on my S8+ again last night and watched some youtube. This thing shits all over the OP5 screen.

Does Samsung have a warehouse full of them? ��
So many people are giving the screen a pass though. "1080p is more than enough" or "I can't tell the difference."
When I'm emperor calling pentile 1080p for '1080p' will be illegal.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I still have a pending refund from OnePlus in my PayPal account. They're holding on to that 479 till they squeeze the booger out of Washington's nose.

Do better OnePlus

Jeffrey

Seems like your shit out of luck if you ordered a op5 from the US lol. Hope they ship... Soonish?

Guess I could call their lovely customer service. Maybe if I call them a hero they'd ship mine earlier.

You saved your mom from the possibility of bootloops in one to two years.

Haha, well certainly I'd buy thinking that wouldn't be the case.

Well you passed for some reason. Don't second guess decisions in the past!

I guess. But the only thought is $360 for the G6 is probably too good a price to pass up. Not to mention I'm disappointed with the no upgrade of One Plus 5's screen. G6's screen is beautiful.

I don't see how you can do alot of web browsing on a 1080p pentile screen and be ok with it. The worst is people are saying that Samsung used 1080p out of the box to justify it even though they are ignoring it's still a higher quality panel.
Seems like your shit out of luck if you ordered a op5 from the US lol. Hope they ship... Soonish?

Guess I could call their lovely customer service. Maybe if I call them a hero they'd ship mine earlier.

What's messed up is people got theirs in Canada and they were delivered from the US!

Husker86

OP5 reviewer at Verge says there's a weird jelly effect when scrolling lol.

What the hell does that even mean?

This is something I noticed on iPads (at least up to iPad 3).

If it's what I'm thinking, if you scroll up and down (changing directions quickly makes it more noticeable), the content has a subtle...stretching? It's like a rubber band effect where it kind of stretches but then gets back in place. The left and right sides get slightly out of sync, but not in a tearing way...in a jelly way.

It always confused me how no one ever mentioned this in the past so I just assumed I was insane.

Jeffrey

If it's what I'm thinking, if you scroll up and down (changing directions quickly makes it more noticeable), the content has a subtle...stretching? It's like a rubber band effect where it kind of stretches but then gets back in place. The left and right sides get slightly out of sync, but not in a tearing way...in a jelly way.

It always confused me how no one ever mentioned this in the past so I just assumed I was insane.

It's just how cartoons work right? A bit stretch and pull to get the animation feel better.

It was the first thing I noticed on my iPad 3. It felt weird.

I even found my post from 2012, where I complained about it.

The new iPad is my first iOS 5 device (never bothered to update my OG iPad).

Scrolling seems to be really "wave-y" and while it looks kinda nice when you scroll slow, it's annoying and stutters when scrolling fast, like a game without vsync.

Is that some bug or feature and is there anything I can do about it?

Top Bottom