• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Laekon

Samsung and OP must be using the same logistics services. Over 3 days now and they still haven't shipped the S8 i bought using the trade in deal.

Kaiken

Banned
Anyone here use Swappa to sell their phone? Thinking about parting from my White Pixel XL 128GB and it seems to sell for a decent price still. Just wanted some impressions.

Mindwipe

The Note 8 having it's fingerprint sensor in the same place is beyond stupid. On the S8 it's fine, but on the S8+ is difficult, a Note will be even worse.

At least with the S8/+ it was because the fingerprint reader in the screen had failed, so it was a last minute decision and they couldn't put it anywhere else without delaying the phone and redesigning the entire motherboard. But they really, really should have had contingency planning for the Note 8.

reKon

Banned
The Note 8 having it's fingerprint sensor in the same place is beyond stupid. On the S8 it's fine, but on the S8+ is difficult, a Note will be even worse.

At least with the S8/+ it was because the fingerprint reader in the screen had failed, so it was a last minute decision and they couldn't put it anywhere else without delaying the phone and redesigning the entire motherboard. But they really, really should have had contingency planning for the Note 8.

The finger print sensor placement isn't ideal at all, but that has to be one of the most overhyped controversies I've ever seen in the smart phone world.

Laekon

The finger print sensor placement isn't ideal at all, but that has to be one of the most overhyped controversies I've ever seen in the smart phone world.
It's the least ergonomic placement of any phone. I'm hoping I'll get use to it quickly on the S8 but just the fact it's different for each hand makes it an issue. On the S8+ it's a ridiculous placement. Someone needs to buy the power button sensor patent and make it open source.

LG G6 arrived today, H870DS 64gb model imported from HK bought for £357. Currently updating the software, then waiting for the baby to go to bed so I can spend the evening putting it through its paces.

Replacing a Note 5 that I won't miss. Fuck that Samsung bloatfest.

Any tips/tricks/features that owners can pass on?

rc213

Samsung and OP must be using the same logistics services. Over 3 days now and they still haven't shipped the S8 i bought using the trade in deal.

Same here ordered the 19th one says confirmed other phone backordered. Order has been in preparing for shipment for 2 days.

Note 8 launches in September for nearly 1000 eurobucks

https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/23/samsung-galaxy-note8-launches-late-september-for-nearly-e1000/

6GB, dual cameras, same fingerprint sensor location

Same processor as the S8/S8+, only 0.1in larger screen than S8+, and a smaller battery than the S8+.

Having a stylus again is about the only thing I'm interested in with this phone, but I'm not sure it's going to be worth so much money for just that feature, especially when the S8/S8+ will inevitably have price drops happening around when it launches (if not before).

Not sure if a slightly better camera and 2GB of extra RAM will be worth the price tag. The S8/S8+ have already gotten pretty cheap with trade-in deals from Samsung's own site.

Husker86

The S8+ is like my 8th phone with a fingerprint sensor. It sucks hard. At least iris is decent.

I have no doubt I'll "get used to it", but it doesn't "just fit" like the Pixel/6p or front home button placements do.

Jeffrey

The position of the fingerprint sensor isn't the issue for me, it's the accuracy. Usually have to try 2 times for it to process, or something it just takes a while because lol Samsung.

Husker86

The position of the fingerprint sensor isn't the issue for me, it's the accuracy. Usually have to try 2 times for it to process, or something it just takes a while because lol Samsung.
And maybe that's the real problem I'm having.

I think it's too small.

edit: please read this reply in context and not on its own.

With a case it becomes a non issue for me but yeah I also believe accuracy is not as good as on other phones. At least my 5x was faster/unlocked mostly on one try.

Jeffrey

Same with Huawei. China tech is on point. Curious how much leeway there is though,if it's easier to cheat.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...le-pixel-2-htc-lg-display-bezel/#2420ee373002

Forbes thinking pixel will share a lot from HTC 11,which isn't the worst thing. Hopefully headphone jack.

Would be weird if only the big LG pixel has min bezel front.

Google wouldn't be adding apt-x and the Sony codec to Android if they were going to keep the headphone jack.

Quasar

So, how's Google Home? It's going to finally release in Canada and there's a promo to get a Chromecast if I preorder.

I like it, even using it in an unsupported region. Once it's released in Australia I'll probably buy a second one.

Well the speaker could be better, though with chromecasts that's less of an issue. Still I have been hoping to see things like Sony update their speakers to include Assistant.

Mindwipe

This isn't an issue for me on my S8, so I think it's genuinely the position making it hard to hit with the same part of your finger on the S8+.

How is the Sony fingerprint sensor? Like I said before the power button seems to the best spot to me.

It's pretty solid on my Z5. I usually have it memorize my thumb 2-3 times as if it's different fingers, though. The sensor is smaller than it is on some other phones because it's built into the power button.

I'd assume the XZ and XZs are the same or better, but I can't really say.

Quixzlizx

OK, I finally caved and ordered a $525 s8+.

How strict is Samsung when it comes to the trade-in phone being in good shape? I have a Nexus 4 that works fine, and the screen is in good shape, but the glued on backing is starting to peel off a bit.

longdi

Banned
How is the Sony fingerprint sensor? Like I said before the power button seems to the best spot to me.

It is fast, almost as fast as Huawei P10+. Not sure how secure these fast/small sensor are in reality.

Been saying, sensor at the sides on the power button is the ideal meet in middle solution, at least until embedded into screen tech becomes cheap with no compromises.

Laekon

Same here ordered the 19th one says confirmed other phone backordered. Order has been in preparing for shipment for 2 days.
I didn't even think about the possibility of it being back ordered because it said in stock at the time. I went and checked the Samsung site and it's listed as backordered with no estimated date given.

Weird using AccuBattery and my screen off mA average speed is way slower than my screen on mA speed by like 300+

NVM didn't take in to account the speed up at low % that turns off after a certain fullness

reKon

Banned
i wish US would support tap to pay for dining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYqz_LjAASE

Moto E4 seems pretty decent phone for $70! Also has a decent fingerprint sensor. Sony really should figure something out in the US...

QfTVYTj.png

ayeeeeeeee

but, jesus at that price difference. Poor Canadians

Top Bottom