• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

No OIS either, even though the previous phones had it.
Not really regretting my late 3T purchase.

Yeah overall a 3T is a much better purchase especially if you buy one used. I bought mine a few weeks ago for $330. You aren't really gaining anything by going to a 5. Arguably worse camera, same screen, performance increase that isn't noticeably faster, worse battery. I feel like Oneplus 5 will flop or they will end up dropping price. Seems like Oneplus gets some success that goes to their head, they try to cut corners on their next phone, and then release a good product after. So either a 5T or 6 should be a good phone again.

http://www.androidauthority.com/pixel-2-specs-leak-782456/

Taimen:

5.99-inch 1440p OLED display
Snapdragon 835
4GB RAM
Smaller Bezels
128GB Storage option
Glass/Metal Back
Headphone jack

Walleye:

4.97-inch 1080p FHD display
Snapdragon 835
4GB RAM
64GB Storage option
Glass/Metal back (Like 2016 Pixel)
Stereo speakers
No headphone jack

https://www.xda-developers.com/source-pixel-2-walleye-and-taimen-specifications-revealed/

Stereo speakers being a trade off hurts. Guess we'll see

Only 4GB of RAM for a phone that's coming out in November? What kind of horseshit is this. At that point, I think the premium phones should be a minimum of 6GB.

Something must have fallen through with the dxo partnership. No mention on dxo's side of partnership and no mention at launch event. Kind of strange.

Laekon

Something must have fallen through with the dxo partnership. No mention on dxo's side of partnership and no mention at launch event. Kind of strange.
Wonder if Dxo had some integrity and gave them the low score it seems to earn. Holding off releasing the scores isn't a big deal.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Only 4GB of RAM for a phone that's coming out in November? What kind of horseshit is this. At that point, I think the premium phones should be a minimum of 6GB.

More RAM is obviously always better, but no reason a mobile OS shouldn't be able to easily multitask with 4 gigs of RAM unless you are a person with like a gazillion tabs or something eating RAM.

NeOak

When a desktop can work fine with 4GB of RAM, you should really reconsider what you're saying.

Condom

LG G6 arrived today, H870DS 64gb model imported from HK bought for £357. Currently updating the software, then waiting for the baby to go to bed so I can spend the evening putting it through its paces.

Replacing a Note 5 that I won't miss. Fuck that Samsung bloatfest.

Any tips/tricks/features that owners can pass on?
The usual, disable bloat (Facebook) and use greenify to force instant doze. Use Block This! for ad blocking if you want that.
G6 is on 7.0 right now and it is believed we will probably not get 7.1 but jump directly to 8.0 once Google is finished with that. LG did announce an update for July though.

With the upcoming youtube update we should get support for cropping 16:9 video to get full 18:9 goodness. For apps I recommend setting it to always optimize for 18:9. Gaming in 18:9 is a very nice experience.

The front cam is disappointing in low light so I recommend making use of the option to snap a picture with one of the back cameras. You can use volume down to do that. Selfies with the wide angel lens are awesome this way. Otherwise there is always the option of using display flash (like the iPhone).

That should cover the most of it, enjoy the phone :)

Edit: oh and you can lower the dpi in display settings to get more screen real estate.

Ty4on

When a desktop can work fine with 4GB of RAM, you should really reconsider what you're saying.
What? Desktops barely operate with 8 nowadays with a few tabs open.

Mobile is very different workout proper multitasking, but on desktop 4 is painful.

Jeffrey

4gb of ram is fine on pc unless you are doing some hefty stuff.

should be fine on android too, in the end its all about the trade off of battery usage I think?

im curious if there are any studies that shows if increasing the max background processes affect battery life much. Like even 6-8gb of ram oneplus phones are modest with that. think htc have higher out of the box lol.

bro idk how your 6p is feeling but at this point a potato would be an upgrade
Knock on wood mine is fine.. except for the dog shit latest update which has plagued WhatsApp with lag when I switch between apps.

Battery could be better.

I just want something new, no bloat, minimum bezel and latest Android. Ohh, finger print on screen would be nice :)

LeleSocho

Banned
What? Desktops barely operate with 8 nowadays with a few tabs open.

Mobile is very different workout proper multitasking, but on desktop 4 is painful.

???
Right now i have 8 programs open included the browser with few tabs open and my 4GB notebook is doing just fine.
If a phone doesn't have a sluggish skin on it 4 GB is more than enough to do anything.

The usual, disable bloat (Facebook) and use greenify to force instant doze. Use Block This! for ad blocking if you want that.
G6 is on 7.0 right now and it is believed we will probably not get 7.1 but jump directly to 8.0 once Google is finished with that. LG did announce an update for July though.

With the upcoming youtube update we should get support for cropping 16:9 video to get full 18:9 goodness. For apps I recommend setting it to always optimize for 18:9. Gaming in 18:9 is a very nice experience.

The front cam is disappointing in low light so I recommend making use of the option to snap a picture with one of the back cameras. You can use volume down to do that. Selfies with the wide angel lens are awesome this way. Otherwise there is always the option of using display flash (like the iPhone).

That should cover the most of it, enjoy the phone :)

Edit: oh and you can lower the dpi in display settings to get more screen real estate.

Thanks, installed Block This, just what I was after. :)

Quite disappointed in the selfie cam, its fine in good light, but so much noise in mid-low light it looks like its applied a bad skin smoothing filter to faces.

Massa

I kind of... don't want a phone without bezels. Will probably stick with my 6p for another couple years. If it craps out earlier I'll give up and get an iPhone.

I kind of... don't want a phone without bezels. Will probably stick with my 6p for another couple years. If it craps out earlier I'll give up and get an iPhone.

I can't wait for a new Nexus/Pixel only because I just can't deal with the bad battery that mine has currently anymore. Also the Bluetooth issues as well that go with it. Love the phone otherwise.

phanphare

Banned
Hmmm, Snapdragon 400 series and only fully compatible with T-Mobile. I still think the Moto G5 Plus is better at that price range.

I'm not a tech savvy phone person, how does the Nokia 6 compare to the Nexus 5?

I just know it has 1GB more RAM and will actually get the latest Android software

How well do the Google apps run in IOS? With the bezel of the new Pixel being rumored to be as big as the previous generation I want to learn in case I make the jump.

Vanillalite

Hmmm, Snapdragon 400 series and only fully compatible with T-Mobile. I still think the Moto G5 Plus is better at that price range.

Yep.

This phone is zzz

Moto G5 Plus is a faster phone with more carrier support.

Idk why anyone would want this.

this_guy

I'm not a tech savvy phone person, how does the Nokia 6 compare to the Nexus 5?

I just know it has 1GB more RAM and will actually get the latest Android software

I'm just speculating but I'd say performance should be about equal in day to day usage but you'll get better battery life and camera from the Nokia. Battery life and camera have improved greatly since the days of the Nexus 5 and mid range phones today are better in those categories than the Nexus 5.

phanphare

Banned
I'm just speculating but I'd say performance should be about equal in day to day usage but you'll get better battery life and camera from the Nokia. Battery life and camera have improved greatly since the days of the Nexus 5 and mid range phones today are better in those categories than the Nexus 5.

cool thanks

Yep.

This phone is zzz

Moto G5 Plus is a faster phone with more carrier support.

Idk why anyone would want this.

if I have T Mobile and prefer a clean android software experience coming from the Nexus 5 would you still say the Moto G5 Plus is a better phone?

Vanillalite

You won't.

Snapdragon 430 is a 28nm chip.

Snapdraon 625 is a 14nm chip.

It's a world of difference in both performance and effiency due to processor node.

I just got a used Nexus 6p. I love the phone but it completely shuts down whenever I hit 15% when my battery saver turns on. I have turned battery saver mode but it still does it. Any ideas on how to fix this?

edit: seems like it's a hardware issue. So buyer beware.

Vanillalite

ok cool

any other solid options in the ~$300 price range? my Nexus 5 is still going strong surprisingly but I'm trying to upgrade before I'm forced to upgrade

Black Honor 8 is only $320 on Amazon. You aren't getting stock like Android, but specs are more comparable to a flagship than a mid-range phone.

I bought a OnePlus 3 for $200. I might just keep this even though the screen gives me headaches. It's getting tough to find flagship specs with an ips panel. I think htc u 11 is my only option.

Why do you have a dozen phones.

I get good deals and resale them :) nothing has really been something I wanna keep. I was holding out for OnePlus 5 being amazing but they stuck with 1080p so I'll probably stick with this OnePlus 3 as performance isn't really a noticeable difference.

Jeffrey

I get good deals and resale them :) nothing has really been something I wanna keep. I was holding out for OnePlus 5 being amazing but they stuck with 1080p so I'll probably stick with this OnePlus 3 as performance isn't really a noticeable difference.

Too much effort for me lol. And hard to make too much profit unless you sell local to avoid shipping and PayPal swappa eBay fees.

https://youtu.be/dHvAU_b71bk

Vivos under screen fingerprint scanner tech. Seems a bit slow but new tech.

Too much effort for me lol. And hard to make too much profit unless you sell local to avoid shipping and PayPal swappa eBay fees.

https://youtu.be/dHvAU_b71bk

Vivos under screen fingerprint scanner tech. Seems a bit slow but new tech.

It's not too hard. Sometimes I'll make $50-$100 for little effort on Craigslist. I still have an S8+ I'm trying to get rid of that no one wants though. Maybe I should just use that and resale the OnePlus 3 for profit.

reKon

Banned
I've made a bit of profit reselling Nintendo Switch's because it's easy (thanks Amazon Prime / slickdeals) and because I can?

I'll usually buy and wait because I decide whether I want to keep this time. I ended up selling them because I'm too busy with work and other things, PS4 / PC back log is bad, and they still haven't announced Smash Bros Switch.

They would hate me on the gaming side for this shit, lol.

I've made a bit of profit reselling Nintendo Switch's because it's easy (thanks Amazon Prime / slickdeals) and because I can?

I'll usually buy and wait because I decide whether I want to keep this time. I ended up selling them because I'm too busy with work and other things, PS4 / PC back log is bad, and they still haven't announced Smash Bros Switch.

They would hate me on the gaming side for this shit, lol.

i'm considering reselling StarFox 2 and friends for profit.

Is the 5X still worth getting? I plan to purchase a phone for my mom and she has an old S4. She will just be using the phone for navigation, facebook, calls, etc. Nothing fancy.

Top Bottom