• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Soodanim

Gold Member
The wait for the G5S Plus is getting to me. I'm checking sites daily hoping for some word, but nothing. Sod's law tells me if I get a G5 Plus then they'll announce the S 2 minutes later. So I can't give in.

Salsa

The wait for the G5S Plus is getting to me. I'm checking sites daily hoping for some word, but nothing. Sod's law tells me if I get a G5 Plus then they'll announce the S 2 minutes later. So I can't give in.

yeah bummer that im gonna buy the G5 right before it probably gets announced

my timing is this: bud in the states till July 3rd, comes back July 7th. The S isnt gonna get announced AND launched before that.

rumors ive read say the changes are pretty minimal tho? mostly a camera improvement. Nicer thing for me would be a probable drop in price for the regular G5

if the S is basically 5.5inches + better camera for say 350 then bleh

my biggest thing with Moto since Lenovo is Android updates and if they do release O timely and all its gonna be for all G5 models

edit: also the leaks point to a 3080mah battery which is marginally better than the G5+. That with a bigger display? lame

kharma45

Honor 9 looks very nice. Very nice. Only really missing OIS and Qi charging.

I got the G6 (H870DS) this week, paid £357 for it from eGlobal. Price has dropped to £320 since I ordered it. :/

Nice phone, early days so still unsure on battery life. Quad dac definitely makes a difference, problem is I tend to use wireless headphones so it's a bit wasted on me.

EU buyers got screwed with the peasant version we got (32gb,no quad dac, no wireless charging)

I was tempted by that but wary after getting burnt by the G4.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honor 9 looks very nice. Very nice. Only really missing OIS and Qi charging.

Honor doing the same stupid move of OnePlus in that they are increasing the price.

All of the $400 phones want to be $500 now, and even then I'm sure a ton of stock actually moved when they were on sale sub $400.

Wrong move. Eventually it's like why am I just not getting an actual flagship?

Stories starting to get out how OnePlus accidentally(purposely?) mounted the displays upside down on some phones causing a jello effect when scrolling. Apparently turning your phone upside down fixes this.

I don't really get the OnePlus 5 price complaints. Even at $540 it is still $330 cheaper than an iPhone 7 Plus with the same amount of storage. The phone is a top of the line product that goes toe to toe with other high-end smartphones and I feel like there is very little you could fault it for. The lack of waterproofing stinks, the camera will not be the very best, and there seem to be some quality controls issues, but I can't think of much else. The customer service obviously stinks, but we have to be real here in admitting that everybody except Apple has shit tier customer service and I never hear people hold it against Samsung, or HTC (LG's gotten some shit given their issues though).

The only issue I see with the price is that a lot of competing flagship phones like the LG G6 and Galaxy S8 are going on sale for even cheaper than the OP5 which puts it in a bad spot.

I don't really get the OnePlus 5 price complaints. Even at $540 it is still $330 cheaper than an iPhone 7 Plus with the same amount of storage. The phone is a top of the line product that goes toe to toe with other high-end smartphones and I feel like there is very little you could fault it for. The lack of waterproofing stinks, the camera will not be the very best, and there seem to be some quality controls issues, but I can't think of much else. The customer service obviously stinks, but we have to be real here in admitting that everybody except Apple has shit tier customer service and I never hear people hold it against Samsung, or HTC (LG's gotten some shit given their issues though).

The only issue I see with the price is that a lot of competing flagship phones like the LG G6 and Galaxy S8 are going on sale for even cheaper than the OP5 which puts it in a bad spot.

Soooooo it's a high end phone without 80% of the features that make it high end? Just cause it has a SD 835 and 200000GB of RAM it's high end?

Jeffrey

as someone that currently has a s8+ and nexus 6. op5 is tiny as fuck. it's like a iphone se.

apps still occasionally reload which is a bummer, but I think some of it is still cached somehow otherwise they wouldn't load up so fast? Must be that 'smart memory management' tech.

OnePlus 5 vs iPhone 7 Plus PhoneBuff Speed Test

The king is dead. Long live the king.

rip. can't imagine iphone winning again in this style of speed test until they speed up the animations... maybe ios 12? Or some low end stuff that drastically improves app load times.

Vanillalite

Soooooo it's a high end phone without 80% of the features that make it high end? Just cause it has a SD 835 and 200000GB of RAM it's high end?

That and you can easily get a flagship cheaper cause there have been deals all over the place on the iPhone 7, S8, and G6.

as someone that currently has a s8+ and nexus 6. op5 is tiny as fuck. it's like a iphone se.

apps still occasionally reload which is a bummer, but I think some of it is still cached somehow otherwise they wouldn't load up so fast? Must be that 'smart memory management' tech.

rip. can't imagine iphone winning again in this style of speed test until they speed up the animations... maybe ios 12? Or some low end stuff that drastically improves app load times.

OnePlus 5 is really a beautiful phone. Nice improvement with the curved sides. I took mine out of the box to play with some before I return it

the last RGB one from Samsung was the 720p Galaxy Note II iirc and that was S Stripe, not RGB Stripe

If you do pentile amoled it needs to be 1440p. That's why you don't see companies other than OnePlus using shitty 1080p amoled panels. You are getting sub 1080p on a 1080p pentile amoled. There has to be very little cost difference between a 1080p and 1440p amoled at this point. Probably a few cents per panel if that. Their dumb ram increase to 8gb should have been a 1440p panel instead. Then it would have been a great phone.

kharma45

Honor doing the same stupid move of OnePlus in that they are increasing the price.

All of the $400 phones want to be $500 now, and even then I'm sure a ton of stock actually moved when they were on sale sub $400.

Wrong move. Eventually it's like why am I just not getting an actual flagship?

The price in the US was just abnormally low. RRP is only up £10 for us.

Vanillalite

So Qualcomm announced the Snapdragon 450

Except when you read the specs you're like why does this feel too familiar. That's cause it is the same fucking specs as the 625. They just rebranded it.

reKon

Banned
So Qualcomm announced the Snapdragon 450

Except when you read the specs you're like why does this feel too familiar. That's cause it is the same fucking specs as the 625. They just rebranded it.

Any that's fine because this is going into entry level phones which is great. Super cheap budget phones are about to be even better.

Vanillalite

Any that's fine because this is going into entry level phones which is great. Super cheap budget phones are about to be even better.

But why not just call it the 625?

Better chips for lowend is great, but their naming convention is all sorts of fucked.

I had been waiting for the G5S Plus for weeks since the G5 Plus was released, which I had almost bought until I read that it doesn't have a simple compass sensor which even my first generation Moto G from 2013 has, hoping the G5S Plus might have it.

However there was a sale on the Honor 8 here for approx. $300 so I bought that instead, waiting for it to be shipped now. Lenovo is messing up the Motorola brand and I say that as someone who owns a Lenovo Y50 laptop which is pretty great.

Why is the Android hardware ecosystem so utter garbage this year? All I want is the following:

Nexus OS (no bloat)
Minimum bezel top and bottom
Latest Snapdragon
4GB
Fingerprint Sensor
Great camera, one that rivals the 6P
Basically a high-end phone with minimum bezel, no bloat and a great camera. I don't care for waterproofing or headphone jack.

I wasn't before but now I'm anxiously waiting on the Essential phone reviews. I love the S8 look but my word I can't trust Samsung with software. 1+5 has bezels from 2015. LG lol. HTC is alive? Motorola haha.

Jeffrey

Why is the Android hardware ecosystem so utter garbage this year? All I want is the following:

Nexus OS (no bloat)
Latest Snapdragon
4GB
Fingerprint Sensor
Basically a high-end phone with minimum bezel, no bloat and a great camera. I don't care for waterproofing or headphone jack.

I wasn't before but now I'm anxiously waiting on the Essential phone reviews. I love the S8 look but my word I can't trust Samsung with software. 1+5 has bezels from 2015. LG lol. HTC is alive? Motorola haha.

I mean LG is almost what you want as well.

If the rumors of LG making the big pixel that could be your thing.

Vanillalite

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
How does this even work?

Jeff help me out. I don't think I even have an app installed on either Google Play or Samsung App Store on my AT&T version.

The launcher is jusy backed into the OS?
I found the update on in Google play. Called [Official] Samsung TouchWiz Home

Sony. Oculus and Vive are both 1440p pentile iirc.

They wanna make silly decisions, that's for sure -_-
Oh, cool. Thought LG or some other company made it.

How does this even work?

Jeff help me out. I don't think I even have an app installed on either Google Play or Samsung App Store on my AT&T version.

The launcher is jusy backed into the OS?
Samsung's launcher is a system app. Just like I assume every OEM launcher is. They made it updateable via the play store so you should see it in your list of apps.

Edit: beaten by the funk

Vanillalite

I found the update on in Google play. Called [Official] Samsung TouchWiz Home

Oh, cool. Thought LG or some other company made it.

Samsung's launcher is a system app. Just like I assume every OEM launcher is. They made it updateable via the play store so you should see it in your list of apps.

Edit: beaten by the funk

Come on dudes. I'm smart enough to know that.

Hence why I asked Jeff cause he's got the AT&T variant too :p

screenshot_20170628-1nsu4c.png

Nexus OS (no bloat)
Latest Snapdragon
4GB
Fingerprint Sensor

I'd argue that it should surpass the 6P's camera.

Vanillalite

For the poster that recently asked about where the fuck Chrome 59 for Android was here ya go!

https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2017/06/chrome-for-android-update_26.html?m=1

Monday, June 26, 2017

Chrome for Android has been updated to version 59.0.3071.117; the update will be available in Google Play over the next few days. A list of all Chromium changes in this build can be found here. This update fixes a few crash issues, a performance issue, and an issue which prevented some users from downloading images.

If you find a new issue, please let us know by filing a bug. More information about Chrome for Android is available on the Chrome site.

Alex Mineer

Google Chrome

Where are you pulling the 80% from? It isn't like OnePlus is the only company with quality control issues, everybody else has had them in the past even Apple. The camera won't be the very best, but it is still good. Bear in mind when I say "Will not be the very best" I mean the absolute best of the best which only one phone can really be, I don't mean it is crap period. The only flagship features it lacks at this point are waterproofing and wireless charging. Realistically speaking, LG didn't have either of those last year and nobody said their phones weren't flagship's. Same with HTC among others.

Jeffrey

One plus 5 is perfectly in line with a modern Chinese flagship which in itself is pretty novel for the US. Cheaper to import a xiaomi or something but you get a warranty and a fairly stock OS out of the box.

Seems like honor 9 in the US isn't happening any time soon, no word from zte.

As of now oneplus really is alone in this category of affordable 835 phones on stockish android with a US warranty.

One plus 5 is perfectly in line with a modern Chinese flagship which in itself is pretty novel for the US. Cheaper to import a xiaomi or something but you get a warranty and a fairly stock OS out of the box.

Seems like honor 9 in the US isn't happening any time soon, no word from zte.

As of now oneplus really is alone in this category of affordable 835 phones on stockish android with a US warranty.

Yep, Axon is missing in action. I think what's bad is with all the s8+ deals you could actually get one of those cheaper with trade in with a cheap $7 trade in phone. Those deals have ended now so OnePlus is once again the best bang for buck unless you buy a cheap OnePlus 3 or 3t that has 95% of the speed of op5 and also takes better photos and videos.

Jeffrey

Yep, Axon is missing in action. I think what's bad is with all the s8+ deals you could actually get one of those cheaper with trade in with a cheap $7 trade in phone. Those deals have ended now so OnePlus is once again the best bang for buck unless you buy a cheap OnePlus 3 or 3t that has 95% of the speed of op5 and also takes better photos and videos.
Deals are temporary and often have weird catches and fine print although I expect there will be more for s8 soon lol.

But yeah a used op3 is the best deal.

Basically 90% of op5 anyways.

Top Bottom