• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
How the fuck does this happen with 8 gigs of ram? If OP released this at $400 then this would've be as huge of an issue but the 8 gig variant costs $539.

I'm in the market for a prepaid backup Android device. I could barely one hand the G4 Play and could barely use the G3. What's the best midrange prepaid android device right today?

The Samsung A3 and A5 look nice but both of them don't come with a notification light or my girl IR B but they're barely in the prepaid category.

Does one handed use matter?

Quixzlizx

My s8+ shipped today. Just need to hope there's no bullshit regarding my phone trade-in.

I'm coming from a 2016 Blu Life One X and not a OP, so I'm guessing the performance will seem fine.

Jeffrey

You know. We still basically know nothing about essential on the software side. The prototypes just had stock aosp I think?

Ty4on

Don't really notice it until I start wiggling it. Not really a big deal unless your other device is the new iPad pro.
#neversettle

-----------

I hope we see more testing of touch latency in Android phones. It feels off in phones where is bad and makes rhythm games almost impossible to play.

vdlow

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marekv1.fingertouch

I paid for the Pro version though for finger print sign and because I was impressed with the free version.
Bought it a few weeks ago, it works really well, I was impressed too. But I stopped using since actions that require a long press in the home button (like taking a screenshot or triggering Google Assistant) became impossible unless I paused the service. Do you know any workaround for this?

Besides that, it's a truly awesome app, totally worth the Pro price.

Vanillalite

Yes, one hand use matters. I could somewhat one hand the G4 Play, easily one hand the GJ3E, and barely hold the LG G3. I've narrowed it down to devices that will at the very least receive OS updates for a year or two.

Alcatel idol 5S is $199 with lock screen ads.

Moto G5 Plus is $230 with lock screen ads.

Those are the best. They both have virtually the same specs and they are 5.2" screens. Not sure if that's too big though.

reKon

Banned
Bought it a few weeks ago, it works really well, I was impressed too. But I stopped using since actions that require a long press in the home button (like taking a screenshot or triggering Google Assistant) became impossible unless I paused the service. Do you know any workaround for this?

I just turn on 'palm swipe to capture' feature. Samsung coming through with this one. This would be one of those features that people would bitch about how useless it is, but in this case it actually is.

DrAg0nBoY

One question guys. I could get a Oneplus 3T (128 GB), with two tempered glass screen protectors and two cases (of which one is the original) for $515. It is also 5 months used.

Is this a good deal or not?

CronoShot

One question guys. I could get a Oneplus 3T (128 GB), with two tempered glass screen protectors and two cases (of which one is the original) for $515. It is also 5 months used.

Is this a good deal or not?

Seems a bit high when you could get a brand new 128 gig OP5 for $20 more. Even when including the accessories.

Saiyan-Rox

This has been a hell of a week for me full of bad luck

Managed to get a Chromebook pixel for dirt cheap got it and it was working great until I noticed that the screen had some awful retention issues so I message the seller and after a lengthy conversation on what exactly it was going he agreed to refund me and i send it back

Now though while I was waiting I decided to give it another go and now a screen pops up saying the Chromebook is part of an organisation enrollment by Google.com and won't allow any sort off account login anymore at all nothing! Told the guy and he still said just return it to him but I can see this going really badly :(

Just say Ok Google for assistant

reKon

Banned
All those budget Amazon phones are seriously damn impressive for the price. It's hard to even chose which is the best bang for buck. The Moto E4 has a fingerprint sensor. The A50 has USB C.

Amazon is trying to kill everything with exclusives lol.

Agent

*watches video*

Man, I think I'd be so awful at playing this. Looks really complex.

It's actually not to bad. It's easy to play, but there is a lot of strategy involved to try and make your metro efficient. The one thing I actually just discovered is you can pause the game and reroute your train lines when things start to get chaotic and not well planned out. That certainly helps. Also, the benchmarks to unlock other cities are actually pretty easy to hit except for some of the later ones.

It's actually not to bad. It's easy to play, but there is a lot of strategy involved to try and make your metro efficient. The one thing I actually just discovered is you can pause the game and reroute your train lines when things start to get chaotic and not well planned out. That certainly helps. Also, the benchmarks to unlock other cities are actually pretty easy to hit except for some of the later ones.
Well, I'll give it a go anyway since it's only a buck. Can always get a refund if I don't like it.

Mindwipe

Come on dudes. I'm smart enough to know that.

Hence why I asked Jeff cause he's got the AT&T variant too :p

It's almost certainly that it just requires the device to be running a specific software build and the AT&T variant hasn't been updated to it yet, so the play store shows it as incompatible.

NeOak

Vanillalite

Also Moto E4 ships with 2 gigs of RAM meaning we are to the point where basically every phone model now has 2 gigs starting which is fucking huge. 1 gig model are basically done in the West.

NeOak

Also Moto E4 ships with 2 gigs of RAM meaning we are to the point where basically every phone model now has 2 gigs starting which is fucking huge. 1 gig model are basically done in the West.
So according to what some say here, that means it only has one quarter of the jelly smoothness the 8GB OP5 has, right?

Ty4on

One GB is unusable tho. Even my dad complains at how slow it is and he regularly uses a laptop from like 2006.

c8e.gif

reKon

Banned

Wish I still had my Xperia Z3C so I see how Nougat ran on that. I can safely say that last time I used it, that phone was a speed demon. And I'm pretty sure it held more in memory than my S7 Edge does, lol. 2 GB + SD 801 was beast.

Suerte

Can't speak for everyone of course, but I haven't noticed the effect on my OP5 - not to the extent shown in the video posted anyway.

5T with a regularly mounted display will be definitely incoming now though.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
They really believed this wouldn't be a big deal

Do they know how batshit crazy XDA can be sometimes

Dobsie

Got my old G2 out and updated it to latest lineage build for fun. This thing still holds its own. Missing the smaller form factor coming from a 6p too.

Top Bottom