• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

No Love

Banned
I could understand buying the phone if it somehow offered good value, but there's really nothing outstanding about this phone.

Every company missteps somewhere with it's primary lineup. LG did it with the G4, which had an amazing camera but a lameduck processor and the beginning of the bootloop curse. Samsung really cheesed out with the S3/S4 design and TouchWiz being a big piece of shit, Sony went from "how can they top this greatness" with the Z3 to "What the fuck how is this worse than a Z3" with the Z5 and every other alphabet soup XYXZ phone they have now, and HTC shit the bed so long ago I can't even remember where to begin with them.

OnePlus had to take a fall and shut their dick in the door, hopefully it helps alleviate the other issues keeping them from being top-tier.

Every company missteps somewhere with it's primary lineup. LG did it with the G4, which had an amazing camera but a lameduck processor and the beginning of the bootloop curse. Samsung really cheesed out with the S3/S4 design and TouchWiz being a big piece of shit, Sony went from "how can they top this greatness" with the Z3 to "What the fuck how is this worse than a Z3" with the Z5 and every other alphabet soup XYXZ phone they have now, and HTC shit the bed so long ago I can't even remember where to begin with them.

OnePlus had to take a fall and shut their dick in the door, hopefully it helps alleviate the other issues keeping them from being top-tier.
HTC M9

OP just got lucky with the OP3. All their other phones have been trash tier.

That's not true at all. OnePlus One was and is fantastic. Best phone I've ever owned. OnePlus 2 wasn't bad either it was hurt by a shitty processor like all phones that year and some dumb decisions like no nfc. OnePlus 3 and 3T were great. They have a really great track record. Other than the display and higher price the OnePlus 5 is a very nice phone too. They are still my favorite phone company, but they do make dumb decisions. They will come back better for it with the 5th or 6.

jwk94

Whelp, after no Moto X4 or e4 plus news this week (we need to have a tall about insiders), guess I'm picking up a Moto G5+. That should be a holdover until the x4's launch later this year.

kharma45

That's not true at all. OnePlus One was and is fantastic. Best phone I've ever owned. OnePlus 2 wasn't bad either it was hurt by a shitty processor like all phones that year and some dumb decisions like no nfc. OnePlus 3 and 3T were great. They have a really great track record. Other than the display and higher price the OnePlus 5 is a very nice phone too. They are still my favorite phone company, but they do make dumb decisions. They will come back better for it with the 5th or 6.

OnePlus One had a lot of screens that had yellowing, CM was hit and miss, GPS flakey, no band 20 support and touch screen not registering touches properly, or even making them up itself.

OnePlus Two had no NFC, terrible processor, abandoned software, read of lots of people having their finger print sensor stop working.

OnePlus X lol forgotten about almost immediately software wise.

OnePlus One had a lot of screens that had yellowing, CM was hit and miss, GPS flakey, no band 20 support and touch screen not registering touches properly, or even making them up itself.

OnePlus Two had no NFC, terrible processor, abandoned software, read of lots of people having their finger print sensor stop working.

Never Settle bruh.

OnePlus fixed most of those issues and it was top end specs for $300-$350 depending on variant. It was also one of the only phones with a 5.5 inch screen with it's competition being the Note 4 which cost $1000. It was a killer deal.

People knew about the processor issue before the OnePlus 2 came out so that was beyond their control. People made a big deal about NFC, but I still never use it. Android Pay is accepted at 1 out of 10 places. It still came in at a low price of $379. Also the development community is still rocking strong for it on xda.

OnePlus X was a budget phone that was already outdated when it came out software wise. I think it started at $199? How many phones at that price range then got years of software support or any at all?

LeleSocho

Banned
Fate wanted the 1+2 to be terrible and it is a goddang shame because aside that damned Snapdragon 810 processor i liked everything about it, i know it's not a popular opinion but i loved the design of the 2, it was also the last one with a true 1080p, rgb, lcd display.
lack NFC even to this day is negligible for the majority of the users.

That being said OnePlus as a whole is a company that one always had to be wary from and never buy their stuff blindly as there's always something super shady from them be it the product or the company (who can forget the controversial marketing strategy or the outright lies about the size of their phones compared to others?).

Jeffrey

Fate wanted the 1+2 to be terrible and it is a goddang shame because aside that damned Snapdragon 810 processor i liked everything about it, i know it's not a popular opinion but i loved the design of the 2, it was also the last one with a true 1080p, rgb, lcd display.
lack NFC even to this day is negligible for the majority of the users.

That being said OnePlus as a whole is a company that one always had to be wary from and never buy their stuff blindly as there's always something super shady from them be it the product or the company (who can forget the controversial marketing strategy or the outright lies about the size of their phones compared to others?).
It's a Chinese company. Gotta keep your expectations in check.

Anyways even with all these 'features' s8 and op5 are still the must buys for 2017 so far.

The price is higher, but when moto z2 play unlocked is $500...

Hope more info about essential comes out this week so I can return the OP5 in the window lol.

LeleSocho

Banned
It's a Chinese company. Gotta keep your expectations in check.

Anyways even with all these 'features' s8 and op5 are still the must buys for 2017 so far.

The price is higher, but when moto z2 play unlocked is $500...

Hope more info about essential comes out this week so I can return the OP5 in the window lol.
Meh, there are other chinese companies that have better track records than OnePlus

People tend to shit more on OnePlus for stuff, but Samsung has a shitload of lag, overheating, and stuff like red tint on their phones that cost twice as much. Those other Chinese companies don't sell their stuff in the us and don't have all the us bands. You also won't get good software updates.

This oneplus 5 panel thing is an intentional design choice as seen in their software, but a really messed up one they probably thought no one would care about. They will probably have it fixed within a couple of months, but there is no change they can make to software that can fix it. It's a hardware issue. If you bought one, rma it and wait for the new version .

kharma45

OnePlus fixed most of those issues and it was top end specs for $300-$350 depending on variant. It was also one of the only phones with a 5.5 inch screen with it's competition being the Note 4 which cost $1000. It was a killer deal.

People knew about the processor issue before the OnePlus 2 came out so that was beyond their control. People made a big deal about NFC, but I still never use it. Android Pay is accepted at 1 out of 10 places. It still came in at a low price of $379. Also the development community is still rocking strong for it on xda.

OnePlus X was a budget phone that was already outdated when it came out software wise. I think it started at $199? How many phones at that price range then got years of software support or any at all?

Don't get me wrong, the OnePlus One was a good deal for what it was. Lots of storage space, good SoC and RAM and a good price. Still had a lot of shortcomings mind, but you could overlook them at £269.

NFC was a big deal, and still is. I can't think of anywhere near I can't use NFC to pay, I can't imagine life with contactless cards and Apple/Android Pay. Community development isn't a defense. Lots of phones have strong community support. It's no substitute for official support and OnePlus have gone out of their way to avoid the 2.

Saying it has a strong community support is just a better way of saying the company doesn't give a shit about the device anymore but alot of people that bought it still do so they'll have to do it themselves.

Don't get me wrong, the OnePlus One was a good deal for what it was. Lots of storage space, good SoC and RAM and a good price. Still had a lot of shortcomings mind, but you could overlook them at £269.

NFC was a big deal, and still is. I can't think of anywhere near I can't use NFC to pay, I can't imagine life with contactless cards and Apple/Android Pay. Community development isn't a defense. Lots of phones have strong community support. It's no substitute for official support and OnePlus have gone out of their way to avoid the 2.

I see you don't live in the us. NFC payment readers are a mess here due to corporate greed.

Saying it has a strong community support is just a better way of saying the company doesn't give a shit about the device anymore but alot of people that bought it still do so they'll have to do it themselves.

At least it has unlocked bootloader. Most companies don't give you updates or the option to have community support.

IronRaven

I see you don't live in the us. NFC payment readers are a mess here due to corporate greed.

As someone who lives in the US and LOVES NFC payments, it sucks they aren't accepted in more places.

No one ever wants just a slice of the pie; they all want the whole thing.

Jeffrey

Save us, rubin phone.

Pretty much the only 'interesting' android phone for a while.

Until I guess pixel... probably more disappointment though.

Jeffrey

might just be me, but battery life of a phone is pretty irrelevant for my life style.

i got qc3.0 at home, at work, in my car, and on a battery pack. Same for USB-C PD stuff.

There's a hack you can do to the Sony phone to get it to render at 4k at all times. Apparently works well and doesn't drain battery too bad compared to 1080p.

Also with the Oneplus 5 fuckup, it's hard out here for phone fans that want an unlockable phone with root and good dev support. There isn't much else out other than Oneplus and Pixel.

Top Bottom