• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

I'm hype to get the OnePlus 5 in hand to play around with and try the new dcip3 color mode. Hopefully that can fix the issues where their screens give me headaches. I need that extra web browsing and YouTube watching battery life. This phone is going to be the smoothest Android experience you can get. Already posted their sources to GitHub too so open development. Probably will end up selling the 6gb and keep the 8 gb model.

Kaiken

Banned
T-Mobile now selling the LG G6 for $500 and it comes with a free LG G Pad, then LG is having a promotion that gives away an additional LG MiniBeam Projector and a B&O Beoplay H3 headset. This is a deal I cannot pass up.

T-Mobile now selling the LG G6 for $500 and it comes with a free LG G Pad, then LG is having a promotion that gives away an additional LG MiniBeam Projector and a B&O Beoplay H3 headset. This is a deal I cannot pass up.

Aren't they still doing BOGO free too?

Jeffrey

I like how only in today's op5 reviews do reviewers acknowledge s8 kinda runs like ass in comparison lol.

It's not like mine ran any better or worse today vs at launch.

Soodanim

So who's the unsung hero of the Android world? The high end is Samsung bloat and OnePlus flaws, and I keep hearing about Moto G problems every generation for the mid range, I just can't find a solid phone. The U11 looks ugly to me, that back is just tacky. Chinese phones are cheap shitty build quality and steal your data and have mock iPhone interfaces and icons. Who else is there?

I miss my Nexus 4.

Might just track down an original 3310 and say fuck modern tech companies.

So who's the unsung hero of the Android world? The high end is Samsung bloat and OnePlus flaws, and I keep hearing about Moto G problems every generation for the mid range, I just can't find a solid phone. The U11 looks ugly to me, that back is just tacky. Chinese phones are cheap shitty build quality and steal your data and have mock iPhone interfaces and icons. Who else is there?

I miss my Nexus 4.

Apple

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

I miss my Nexus 4.

Seems like a Pixel is your hero. You miss your Nexus 4 (which was designed by Google and built by LG). You're either an ASOP man or LG man, it seems.

I miss my Nexus 4.

Be your own hero. Found a startup. Get out there and be somebody! There's a future in it.

Jeffrey

estimate delivery of op5 on friday. Like the quick turnaround. announce the phone, release it.

Looks aside, the OP5 does seems pretty good.

yep. the problem really is that op3 and 3t are still pretty good phones, and we are reaching a performance thresh hold in which I bet its quite hard to tell the difference in performance between a sd 820 vs sd835 on stockish android.

Feels like people would be more excited about op5 if it actually 'beat' the flagships in the camera... which could happen down the line. Seems like the problems people have is due to the software processing vs the hardware.

Can't wait to see what rom makers like sultan can do with it too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I like how only in today's op5 reviews do reviewers acknowledge s8 kinda runs like ass in comparison lol.

It's not like mine ran any better or worse today vs at launch.

I guess I just don't see it? Maybe cause I'm not using a pixel side by side, but the performance in general is fine for me?

Jeffrey

I guess I just don't see it? Maybe cause I'm not using a pixel side by side, but the performance in general is fine for me?

its generally fine in 1080p mode.

but once you try to do stuff 'aggressively' it struggles a little. splitscreen slows things down a bit. quick switch apps could hang (double tap recent app button).

And lets not talk about screen rotation... which is a issue with android in general, but more pronounce on samsung imo.

Try opening up the app switcher and rotating there will be a delay.

And this is all in the 'best scenario'. if google play store apps are updating, then expect more performance issues.

In the end its all minor things that don't really affect your day to day.

But is it selfish to want a 'lightning fast' flagship phone with all the extra features samsung offers? Feel like one should have the right to feel that for $850 phone haha.

Saiyan-Rox

I knew you'd do this.

So did I, my GF and my best mate (who bought one too when he thought he wasn't.)

1080P is such a waste of time. And there isn't waterproofing? L.O.L. Where's the freaking OIS???

What was so impressive for an impluse buy? The ram?

Honestly I just get sucked into new things far too easily and get bored with devices very quickly. I seriously need help. I do really like OP devices as a whole though especially for their custom ROM support.

Vanillalite

its generally fine in 1080p mode.

but once you try to do stuff 'aggressively' it struggles a little. splitscreen slows things down a bit. quick switch apps could hang (double tap recent app button).

And lets not talk about screen rotation... which is a issue with android in general, but more pronounce on samsung imo.

Try opening up the app switcher and rotating there will be a delay.

And this is all in the 'best scenario'. if google play store apps are updating, then expect more performance issues.

In the end its all minor things that don't really affect your day to day.

But is it selfish to want a 'lightning fast' flagship phone with all the extra features samsung offers? Feel like one should have the right to feel that for $850 phone haha.

Idk Hearthstone runs fine even when updating a ton of shit + playing separate music and that's my current barometer for performance?

Honestly I just get sucked into new things far too easily and get bored with devices very quickly. I seriously need help. I do really like OP devices as a whole though especially for their custom ROM support.
I understand. I got bored of the 3T and switched OS. I won't fault you.

Jeffrey

Idk Hearthstone runs fine even when updating a ton of shit + playing separate music and that's my current barometer for performance?

yeah no real issue with individual app performance for me either. wish it kept apps in memory better though. 4gb ram more like 2gb of ram compared to more aosp like devices haha.

Guess its for improving battery life?

estimate delivery of op5 on friday. Like the quick turnaround. announce the phone, release it.

yep. the problem really is that op3 and 3t are still pretty good phones, and we are reaching a performance thresh hold in which I bet its quite hard to tell the difference in performance between a sd 820 vs sd835 on stockish android.

Feels like people would be more excited about op5 if it actually 'beat' the flagships in the camera... which could happen down the line. Seems like the problems people have is due to the software processing vs the hardware.

Can't wait to see what rom makers like sultan can do with it too.

Mine are supposed to be here Friday too. 3 and 3T got better with camera updates. I'd guess the same will happen with the OP5. This reading mode feature seems pretty cool for websites if you don't mind looking at websites in black and white. Saw a OP5 boot up from an unboxing video and seems to be very quick. Much quicker than previous phones. No lag anywhere in the videos I've seen. I haven't seen anyone really comment on the dcip3 color mode yet.

I just saw the OnePlus 5 Jerry rig video. Built like a tank.

-edit-

The camera seems actually better than an iPhone 7 plus https://youtu.be/mXRh6zoDVX4

The only thing that hurts is no stabilization on 4k video, which has to be a bug in their software. 1080p video looks much better on OnePlus 5

kaiyo

I miss my Nexus 4.

Sony

Jzero

So yea the G6 is fucking trash for video/photo taking at concerts (I just got back from one). It looks like it has a watercolor filter on everything. Looks like I'm carrying my 6P around as a standalone camera.

The reviews I've seen for the OP5 are all pretty positive. The Verge was probably the most negative one.

Yeah camera actually seems to be pretty good. Someone needs to contact OnePlus about 4k video recording because no eis in 4k recording has to be a bug or feature they just didn't have ready in time. The phone is also blazing fast. 1080p pentile amoled in 2017 is unacceptable though.

reKon

Banned
Uhhh, so this is kind of ridiculous. If I was to trade in my pretty much barely used G4 Play, Samsung would give me $200 credit towards a new S8, which would be cost me $425. On Swappa my S7 Edge would net me at least $350.

So overall I could "upgrade" for around $75 to $100.

Should I do this?

Ugh, I'd rather try to get the Exynos version down the road if I wanted to make a move.

Vanillalite

Uhhh, so this is kind of ridiculous. If I was to trade in my pretty much barely used G4 Play, Samsung would give me $200 credit towards a new S8, which would be cost me $425. On Swappa my S7 Edge would net me at least $350.

Should I do this?

Ugh, I'd rather try to get the Exynos version down the road if I wanted to make a move.

Your S7 should be perfectly fine. I see no reason for you to have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to get an S8.

Jeffrey

Think their argument is like Google. Something to do with consistent performance and security?

I do remember S7 had performance hits with certain SD cards.

Vanillalite

I miss my Nexus 4.

I haven't heard anything, but love for the latest Moto G5 Plus.

It's not a flagship, but it's great for the price. The newer chip definitely helps smooth out performance over the G4.

Should I do this?

You are doing it wrong. You buy a cheap $7 prepaid from Walmart to send as a trade in and sell your edge and g4 on swappa or Craigslist.

Top Bottom