• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

jokkir

Almost $1000CAD for the 128GB in Canada.

Need to sell my Galaxy S7 before even considering buying that and the screen display quality (since I do all my photography edits on my phone)

gamma

I wonder if the camera is actually gonna deliver.

Wonder no more:

On paper and in OnePlus’ marketing materials, this dual camera is the OnePlus 5’s big differentiator. In reality, it’s a major letdown. Firstly, the main camera lacks optical image stabilization (OIS) and produces soft images as a result. OnePlus will tell you that its extra-wide aperture and electronic stabilization make OIS superfluous, but the only phone I’ve yet used in which that’s true is the Google Pixel. The Pixel has raised my expectations of mobile cameras to a very high standard, and right now I only see the Galaxy S8, HTC U11, and, to a lesser degree, LG G6 coming close to it. Everyone else, the iPhone included, feels like a generation behind.

The more zoomed-in second camera of the OnePlus 5 also lacks OIS, but it doesn’t get the benefit of a wide aperture. So its results are dramatically, sometimes horrifically, worse than the main camera. The amount of graininess and color noise I get from the telephoto shooter in low light reminds me of mobile cameras from half a decade ago. Images appear flat, losing all the subtle detail and color gradations that go into making a photo feel realistic. With this added camera, you might get an extra bit of creative flexibility while shooting castles and lakes on a sunny day, but this advantage is frankly too limited to be commendable, primarily because of the poor image quality.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/20/15820802/oneplus-5-review-one-plus-phone

I ordered a 6gb 64gb version as well. Forgot to use a referral code on first order so I got $20 off an accessory with it. Car dash charger for $7 for the win :)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Like I said performance was already great on the 3(T). Better of getting that for cheap if you need something like that.

If not just get one of the actual flagship devices that have priced dropped either from this year or last.

Jeffrey

Like I said performance was already great on the 3(T). Better of getting that for cheap if you need something like that.

If not just get one of the actual flagship devices that have priced dropped either from this year or last.
Op3 and 3t still holding their value. Not much more to get a op5 for a bit more. I still don't trust OP on software support.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Op3 and 3t still holding their value. Not much more to get a op5 for a bit more. I still don't trust OP on software support.

This is true.

Feels like the better crazy play would have been to somehow just get the 3T out at an even cheaper price.

Maybe components + R&D meant they couldn't really get much lower than $400.

I get if you're paying $430 why not just pay a little more for the OP5.

Imagine a $330 3T @MSRP being announced vs the OP5 at like $480.

Feels like the former would be a bigger deal.

It would kill sales of the 5 lol

Also
Last year's OnePlus flagship lost some point for having a mediocre display, but that was mostly due to the out-of-the-box calibration. The default calibration on the OP5 is still not very good. It really blows out the colors, especially green. There are several calibration options in the settings: default, sRGB, DCI-P3, and custom. Custom has a slider that lets you adjust the temperature, but that's it. On this panel, I prefer the way DCI-P3 looks. The colors aren't neon bright, but still a little richer than sRGB mode. If you want the most accurate, stick with sRGB.

As for clarity, this is a pentile AMOLED panel at 5.5-inches. If you are hyper-aware of that, you can see slight fringing and pixelation around text and icons. For the most part, I don't think this is a problem. The OnePlus 5 won't look fantastic in VR, but there's no support for Daydream right now, so it would only be Cardboard content that disappoints. And that's usually pretty disappointing all on its own.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Thats the thing. Just don't do the 5. Just focus on getting the 3T out as cheap as possible. Just do a new phone on a 2 year cycle, and then focus on updates in between.

I think a 1 year cycle is fine. The 5 would be a very nice improvement if the 3T didn't exist. With the 3T coming out last November, they should have waited until the Fall unless they plan to continue the T updates, which I doubt. I think last time it was due to supply constraints.

Unfortunately this being the same panel as the T means I'm going to have to sell these phones I bought.

reKon

Banned
Not sure if these still go sale new frequently, but I'd like to point out that I predicted that even during 2017, the Exynos S7 Edge would still be the best bang for buck phone you could buy for you're getting so far I'm still exactly right. I would rather pay $500 for that then get the $479 (I bought my S7 Edge 7-8 months ago for $530).

- Smallest 5.5 inch screen phone on the camera
- 1440P color accurate display (need to adjust color mode in settings)
- Waterproofing
- Samsung Pay (yes, even the Int'l versions support now)
- Expandable storage
- Game center features (optimize resolution and FPS for better battery life during gaming, record clips, lock back and recent keys,etc)
- Top 3 cell phone camera
- wireless fast charging

All of these are really advantages over the OnePlus 5 and are not gimmicks.

So when you put all of these into perspective, fuck the OnePlus 5 pricing, lol. LG G6 is probably a better deal as well with those fire sales that we've been seeing.

Two additional things though - One Plus 5 would get longer support and the One Plus 5 will have faster, more consistent performance along with ridiculously better RAM management.

On the performance note, I don't care because the Exynos chip is great performer. Can't say if the Qualcomm version would be the same. But since all people here care about is stock android and trying match iPhone in performance consistency, maybe that's just deal breaker.

Not sure if these still go sale new frequently, but I'd like to point out that I predicted that even during 2017, the Exynos S7 Edge would still be the best bang for buck phone you could buy for you're getting so far I'm still exactly right. I would rather pay $500 for that then get the $479 (I bought my S7 Edge 7-8 months ago for $530).

- Smallest 5.5 inch screen phone on the camera
- 1440P color accurate display (need to adjust color mode in settings)
- Waterproofing
- Samsung Pay (yes, even the Int'l versions support now)
- Expandable storage
- Game center features (optimize resolution and FPS for better battery life during gaming, record clips, lock back and recent keys,etc)
- Top 3 cell phone camera

All of these are really advantages over the OnePlus 5 and are not gimmicks.

So when you put all of these into perspective, fuck the OnePlus 5 pricing, lol. LG G6 is probably a better deal as well with those fire sales that we've been seeing.

Two additional things though - One Plus 5 would get longer support and the One Plus 5 will have faster, more consistent performance along with ridiculously better RAM management.

On the performance note, I don't care because the Exynos chip is great performer. Can't say if the Qualcomm version would be the same. But since all people here care about is stock android and trying match iPhone in performance consistency, maybe that's just deal breaker.

Best bang for buck is the $175 Note 5 I just bought 2 days ago :p Touchwiz is still janky too. Even installing nova launcher there is still jank. When you can get a S8+ for $488+tax it kind of kills this phone though.

Jeffrey

So... OP5 for $480, or unlocked s8+ for $529?

How much Touchwiz jank is left if I plan on using Nova launcher?
All of it still sadly.

Expect the opposite in terms of performance. OP will hold more apps in memory be way quicker and smoother experience.

In the end it's what you prefer. Samsung will have better screen, features and camera. While OP will be way better on software experience.

Top Bottom