• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

yagal

akrales_170615_1768_0081.jpg

lol

I have to say, none of the other "bezelless" phones can impress me as much as the S8. The curve on the sides really makes a difference in terms of looks.

RoKKeR

For as good as Gboard is, it's unbelievable that you are unable to store an email address for log-ins. I mean, seriously. I know you can add it to your personal dictionary but that means jack shit when the auto-correct interface is disabled for 99% of log-in screens.

/rant

Jeffrey

For as good as Gboard is, it's unbelievable that you are unable to store an email address for log-ins. I mean, seriously. I know you can add it to your personal dictionary but that means jack shit when the auto-correct interface is disabled for 99% of log-in screens.

/rant
Yep. Main reason I still use swiftkey. Remembers my emails and Twitter homies

longdi

Banned
If Sony is still able to make front facing speakers work with this that'd be dope.
Their new a1 oled tv has the screen acts as speakers. Will be dope if the tech comes to Xperia. Thats the ultimate stereo speaker, imagine audio coming out from the lips of an actor instead of from the sides of the phone

Groof

Their new a1 oled tv has the screen acts as speakers. Will be dope if the tech comes to Xperia. Thats the ultimate stereo speaker, imagine audio coming out from the lips of an actor instead of from the sides of the phone
if there's anything sony is good at it's not sharing between departments.

Laekon

Is there likely to be any phone coming out this year to compete with the S8 if I'm looking for a 5" screen sized phone and the camera is really important to me? The current trade in deal at $425 seems tough to beat. I waited for the S7 prices to drop and then the P10 but both of those fell short. I've been holding off moving on from my 5X even though the battery life drives me crazy some days.

I wanted to stay under $400 to but that really isn't happening with the desire for a great camera.

Jeffrey

Is there likely to be any phone coming out this year to compete with the S8 if I'm looking for a 5" screen sized phone and the camera is really important to me? The current trade in deal at $425 seems tough to beat. I waited for the S7 prices to drop and then the P10 but both of those fell short. I've been holding off moving on from my 5X even though the battery life drives me crazy some days.

I wanted to stay under $400 to but that really isn't happening with the desire for a great camera.

doubt it. s8 at $425 is kinda ridiculous, especially compared to OP5 probably being over $500 lol.

what a twist, galaxy s8 is the budget flagship of the year!

well, besides LG basically giving out G6 for free.

Furyous

*Obligatory Sony device response*

The Xperia X Compact exists now at $300+. I want a new device too but have very specific requirements that no one meets.

---

Let's talk about the prepaid bottom tier Android devices for a sec.

I bought two devices for $80, the S3 Express and the G4 Play Verizon edition.

WTF is this?

The S3 express' screen is terrible, audio is terrible, disgust at the hardware buttons, and no NFC. I returned it in five hours.

Had the G4 Play for a week and it doesn't pass go. 720p is okay at a device cost of $50. Audio is okay, camera is MEH, NO NFC, it's missing a compass or some other sensor that literally every phone has, no IR, or USB -C but it's $50 so I have to live with this. I'm returning this tonight.

If I had to buy a phone tonight then I'd get the Xperia Compact but I'm waiting until September unless Clove has a deal where you can trade it in later for the new one.

That reviewer probably meant none on the preinstalled screen protector. It probably has it on the screen. 1080P screen though is shit. I'm not doing another 1080p pentile display. I might order one just to play around with in hand and then sell though. I got a $175 new Note 5 coming in this week that checks all the boxes I need right now. It still can be rooted, 1440P screen, great camera, build quality, etc.

Jeffrey

the review is pretty shit though, could be fake. I could write that based off leaks.

We all know real android reviews have photos of the phone on dbrand skin, and need to overanalyze benchmarks.

the review is pretty shit though, could be fake. I could write that based off leaks.

We all know real android reviews have photos of the phone on dbrand skin, and need to overanalyze benchmarks.

Yeah it was a pretty worthless review. I'd hope at least the 128gb version would have 1440p screen

Jeffrey

Yeah it was a pretty worthless review. I'd hope at least the 128gb version would have 1440p screen

not feeling any 'new' features besides camera from op3t besides cpu/gpu, bluetooth 5?

They'd have pimped those features by now!

definitely feels like they used all their budget this year for the camera, which is why they had to borrow a oppo phone shell.

OP6 should have all the other 'flagship' stuff, hopefully.

Seriously doubt this comes out at all in the US. Never does.

Any leaks on the Axon 7 successor? I haven't heard a thing.

nope! Maybe sales of 7 wasn't good and they just sticking with their other stuff?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I mentioned earlier that a new Axon isn't happening this year. I think ZTE is in a tough spot considering the trade restrictions they had with the US. Nothing's happening this year

Edit: Jeffery has a point. 1+ would be bragging out the ass about new features. This seems like a camera-only upgrade this year

Jeffrey

ill pick one up to see the novelty of 8gb of ram.

I can't imagine any other phone with a US warranty having 8gb of ram on the latest chipset (asus pls) besides oneplus for... at least 2 years?

Maybe 6 will be standard in 2018? doubt it.

not feeling any 'new' features besides camera from op3t besides cpu/gpu, bluetooth 5?

They'd have pimped those features by now!

definitely feels like they used all their budget this year for the camera, which is why they had to borrow a oppo phone shell.

OP6 should have all the other 'flagship' stuff, hopefully.

nope! Maybe sales of 7 wasn't good and they just sticking with their other stuff?

Well storage is ufs 2.1 at least. Also heard better color reproduction on panel. Maybe the 5T will have 1440p.

Not really feeling the hype this year. Oneplus themselves don't even seem to be hyping the phone as much. I can see this not being a success if they price it too high. I still assume $479 for base model and $529 for 8GB model.

I could not have lasted any longer and have known to hold out for a G6+. I bought the G6 because I needed it and at least it seems there's a software update out of the whole plus thing for regular owners.

Jeffrey

feel like oneplus is making a bigger deal about the camera than their audience lol.

Although at this point... whats left really besides minimum bezel stuff? Expect op to get it whenever other chinese companies have figured out how to copy it affordably.

feel like oneplus is making a bigger deal about the camera than their audience lol.

Although at this point... whats left really besides minimum bezel stuff? Expect op to get it whenever other chinese companies have figured out how to copy it affordably.

No one cares about their dual camera setup. It would have been cool if it was a wide angle camera like LG has, but it's hardly a defining feature when you know other phones like the s8, pixel, and now htc u 11 will still be better.

Just read the rumor from the Korea Herald that Samsung still can't figure out the fingerprint sensor on the display digitizer and might move it to the back for the Note 8. What a disaster.

Samsung Electronics’ upcoming Galaxy Note 8 is not likely to have an on-screen fingerprint sensor, due to technical challenges, according to multiple sources Monday.

“Samsung is having a hard time making an integrated circuit -- a chip which should be placed under a display because of its opaque color -- to read the fingerprint image on the surface of the display,” an industry source told The Korea Herald.

There are also technical challenges, such as low production yield and securing the transparency of the sensor, the source said.

“(Samsung) tried all efforts to apply an on-screen display fingerprint sensor in the Note 8, but we decided not to feature it because of various technical difficulties, including security issues,” a local media outlet reported last week, quoting a Samsung Electronics official.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170619000838

Mindwipe

/rant

This and country level top level domain shortcuts are the two real headscratchers for missing Gboard features. Why they're still missing is so, so weird.

longdi

Banned
So it seems sony fp sensor at the side + full active screen + acoustics surface = god phone.

Embedded onscreen fp sensor is unnecessary.

poor sony not paying up some patent troll in usa though

So it seems sony fp sensor at the side + full active screen + acoustics surface = god phone.

Embedded onscreen fp sensor is unnecessary.

poor sony not paying up some patent troll in usa though

Not poor Sony because if they really cared they would price their device accordingly. I mean for god's sake the XP Premium is more expensive than any flagship released this year.

Jeffrey

I know you have better things to do than to play semantics with me.
Think there might be some sapphire edition HTC u ultra more expensive too lol.

So few hours until oneplus. Still no new notable leaks. Seems unlikely that there is anything interesting left to be released.

Top Bottom