• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 18th Birthday Dreamcast!

ReBirFh

Loved it and SEGA as whole. My entire infancy was as a SEGA guy but fortunately at the time or at least between my friends and family there was never any rivalry with other consoles we would just go to each other houses to play the latest games available on the many rental stores.

My introduction into "modern" gaming was the Master System of a cousin, then I was gifted a Mega Drive that lasted untill I bought the Dreamcast in 2000. After it's death I basically stopped gaming for quite a while, only returning after around 2010 when I bought a PS2.

Shenmue, Code Veronica, Blue Stinger, Speed Devils, Sonic Adventure, Dead or Alive 2, Soul Calibur and many others still have a special place in my heart.

Raide

Damn, 18 years. Fond memories of the DC. Soul Caliber, Crazy Taxi, PowerStone etc. Some amazing games. Still hoping more get ported.

Celine

Segata Sanshiro died so that the Dreamcast could live.

DecentSimilarGenet.gif

UnlawfulNauticalCatbird.gif

GratefulUncommonBurro.gif

DeterminedCavernousFairyfly.gif

What a senseless waste of human life.

T4MPLcv.gif
Goodnight sweet prince.

Scotia

Banned
I bought a dreamcast in April with some leftover birthday money just so I could play Street Fighter 3: Double Impact. Never had a dreamcast growing up but it's a neat console. Happy birthday, dreamcast!

Such a good system. I didn't have one back in the day, a friend did, and we played the shit out of it back when we were kids. I ended up buying one at a retro game store back when the Dreamcast turned 10 and my X360 was extremely neglected. Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Grandia 2, Jet Grind Radio, even Seaman kept me occupied for a while. I even played a port of Ms. Pacman that I originally played on PSOne.

Loved my Dreamcast. I remember buying a racing wheel and pedals for MSR. Played way too much Crazy Taxi and Ready 2 Rumble as well.

As others have said, the Dreamcast really did bring the arcade into the living room.

Piers

Still can't believe how many games I bought for the console in the short space of time it was out. Really speaks for how much good shit was releasing on it.
Pen Pen Tricelon, mmmm

NFL 2k, Ready 2 Rumble, Soul Calibur, Project Seaman, Crazy Taxi Dead or Alive 2, Sonic Adventure. This system blew my mind graphically with it's leap over the N64 I felt like I was in the future. Such amazing memories.

Drewfonse

Yeah, I will say that the visual impact of the generational leap from PS1 to Dreamcast has not been duplicated since. For me, at least.

poodaddy

Gonna have to buy my DC a pint.

I'll buy all three of mine a growler. Still my favorite console of all time right next to the Wii U.
Tangentially related but it seems like all my favorite consoles get the kiss of death. I adored the original Xbox and yes I much prefer XboxOne over PS4 now. I think that when I like something I curse it. Just so you Switch owners have a heads up, I do plan on getting one eventually as I'm getting pretty interested in it, so if it suddenly fails you can blame me if you'd like.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just a heads up mods don't really approve of these random anniversary threads.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

I miss Peter Moore, I wish he would come back in the games industry.

Got my Dreamcast on 9/9/99, I remember the day very well actually. Picked up Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure at launch. I got NBA 2K and NFL 2K shortly after. It was actually the first, and only, Sega console I've owned. Before that I was on SNES/N64 and PS1. Sega's first party output from 1999-2002 was GOAT tier. Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure etc. was unbelievable. Sega revolutionized console gaming forever with the Dreamcast.

*Salutes*

RAIDEN1

End of the day it was dead on arrival, because due to the f'k ups by Sega between 1992-1998 put paid to the chances of Dreamcast being able to fight the fight....the minute Sega knew that the PS2 was going to hammer them yet again, they quickly shut up shop and come 2001 left the way open for Sony to duke it out with Microsoft and Nintendo.....had they not had been so dysfunctional throughout most of the 90's then who knows they may still have been in the hardware game....... and we may have seen the TRUE successor to the Dreamcast.

Speely

Banned
My favorite console ever. For its time, it was at once revolutionary and a perfect distillation of all that was "Sega," and by that I mean that it was a Sega-as-fuck console.

I miss you, old friend :/

ss_lemonade

Seeing games with that kind of image quality/resolution was still mind blowing coming off the back of N64 and Playstation. Just felt like more than a generational leap at the time. Soul Calibur and NFL 2K were jaw droppers.
Also having a VGA box blew me away. I was lttp when owning a PC but playing dreamcast FPS games on a vga monitor with a keyboard and mouse felt just like having a gaming pc

Laws00

FFVIII launched the same day in North America also. Big day for gaming.

poster3.jpg

And I got FF8 instead....

how do i remember this? It was down pouring like a mother fucker and i rode my bike to my friends house to show him FF8. In the fucking rain......

Ya, fucking a.......

For those who haven't... If you still have A Dreamcast and you can find it, you MUST play Sturmwind. What an example of what this machine can do.

Now you became a man, but you always were from day one.

Happy launch day to one of the videogame systems that proves that is NOT "all about the games" like many in the community proudly likes to shout. Dreamcast lead the start of the generation with quality games left and right and good early implementation of online gaming.

As a reward of such thriumps people waited for the PS2. XD

Just missed the chance to be 20 in 2020

I always wanted a dreamcast and almost bought one but decided to save my money for gamecube
Turns out the system went RIP a few months after

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yet there's so many of them....

I've seen some threads get locked because they don't want too many of these threads. From what I know they're OK with major anniversaries (10th anniversary, 20th anniversary, etc).

I'm not backseat modding or anything, if this threads still up then the mods are cool with it.

openrob

There are very few games that I truly enjoyed on the console, but I experienced those gems through such a transitional phase of my life that the Dreamcast is my favourite console.

I owned the Dreamcast during my true last year's of my childhood and for that it holds a special place.

KageMaru

Still one of my favorite consoles. I remember taking the day off of school to get it on launch day. Every game just felt amazing back then

Is it really a birthday when you've been dead for 16 years?

Dreamcast....Dead on arrival..

End of the day it was dead on arrival, because due to the f'k ups by Sega between 1992-1998 put paid to the chances of Dreamcast being able to fight the fight....the minute Sega knew that the PS2 was going to hammer them yet again, they quickly shut up shop and come 2001 left the way open for Sony to duke it out with Microsoft and Nintendo.....had they not had been so dysfunctional throughout most of the 90's then who knows they may still have been in the hardware game....... and we may have seen the TRUE successor to the Dreamcast.

1H92HU6.jpg

Best console of all time.

miyTEfh.jpg

SpotAnime

I came home on launch day with Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur and Tokyo Xtreme Racing. I stayed up all night playing and had to go to work the next day with zero sleep. Magical.

Indelible

I have fond memories getting a Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure in Christmas 1999, the system still holds up nicely today when played through VGA.

starmud

my dreamcast finally died this summer... i've kept my previous borked systems for parts to fix them as i can but this time i caved and ordered a refurbed system from gamestop... hopefully the system is in as good of condition as advertised lol

im dying to play typing for the dead, alien front online and maybe ooga booga :)

probably the fondest gaming memories i'll ever have with a console and playing with friends or online. also the last console i've owned where every genre felt represent by one or two really great games. also being segas swan song and showing the best the company will probably ever offer...

i try to tell friends who never got the system you can still pick it up with a healthy library for around $100... it still feels like a steal for the value.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Still my favorite console to this day. My brother sold his PS1 to buy a Dreamcast, which might seem insane for some, but the Dreamcast got so much more playtime than his PS1 ever did so he never regretted it. He actually gave me the console after I moved out since we lived together as roommates for a while and it still runs to this day.

The amount of nights we spent playing Rush 2049 with all of his buddies filling up our living room (and the marijuana smoke cloud filling up the room as well!), some of my most cherished gaming memories! I was so sad when Sega announced it would stop producing the console.

It is one of those systems that had so much energy behind it and the originality Sega's studios had back then was incredible, bringing out so many great titles that defined that generation of consoles IMO even though the Dreamcast dies quite early on. It was also a fighting game's paradise.

Anyone else stayed up late the last night before they shut down their online services? I remember being one out of 4 online on Outtrigger and stayed up until they shut down the servers. It was such a sad day...

Top Bottom