• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

ironcreed

Banned
Any way to turn off the squad and go truly solo?

I'd like to just turn this into a Splinter Cell game if I'm not playing with friends, haha.

I like to tell them to hold their position and then I infiltrate by myself until I need them. It's fun that way for me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Something to keep in mind with your squadmates in solo:

They are useful idiots... they can soak up damage, take people out and help you spot. They are a lot more durable than real players in co-op. I find it pretty fun to have them around.

And, like the poster above said, you can tell them to go to a certain position and hold, then you can take on the mission solo if you want.

I usually put them a bit back from an approach,have them hold position and I go in, and if the shit hits the fan I call them in to help me out.

I loved the Betas and just got back from Redbox. Returned Horizon and picked this up.

EDIT: I played through the Betas mostly solo with the A.I. squad members and didn't have much trouble. The sync shots are super OP and almost made me not want to play with real people so don't worry if you're flying solo. After I finished all the missions I co-oped with randoms and it was a chaotic, fun-filled mess though so co-op is definitely where it's at for shenaniganry.

Good to know - thanks for the heads up - the shrink wrap may just be coming off for my primary solo-playthrough after all.

SJRB

Gold Member
Me finding the audio log about the dead guy's boner for the third time:

I0yEJBd.gif

Turn it off

TURN IT OFFFFFFFF

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well

I impulse bought this.

First game I've bought day 1 in a long while.

Good friends pushed me over the edge or else I wouldn't have spent the 60 for the PS4 version.

Honestly, this game is fantastic.

I have zero complaints, game is fun. Also the way the bases scale is pretty impressive, I think people who were somewhat disappointed in MGSV's complexity will like this a lot, and I enjoy having to pick my targets in a lot of zones because of civilian presence.

You play this game slow and it really feels like a no frills GR game with some consolations to modern gaming, but it's pretty much GR2 with an open world and customization.

Tecnniqe

Banned
So Task Force status update. The reason invites are bugging out may be due to the number of members already in the group.

I can't confirm it, would think it would hold more members than it currently does but it seems rather stuck.
Regardless, a "culling" will commence tomorrow at some point of everyone who have yet to play it, to both clean up the Task Force and make room for new and active members should that be the issue.

If you're in the Task Force and are buying the game at a later date (preferably soon :p), PM me your uPlay and I'll try avoid you for the time being :)

Thanks for the PM and Interests in the group, makes playing together a whole lot easier, sadly the site is slow and down most of the time so it might take some time to get everything sorted!

I have zero complaints, game is fun. Also the way the bases scale is pretty impressive, I think people who were somewhat disappointed in MGSV's complexity will like this a lot, and I enjoy having to pick my targets in a lot of zones because of civilian presence.

You play this game slow and it really feels like a no frills GR game with some consolations to modern gaming, but it's pretty much GR2 with an open world and customization.
Yeah, I do appreciate the civilian presence and the number of buildings with usable interiors and rooftops. Those two elements make a tremendous difference to both immersion and the kind of planning and tactics you can use to complete the objective.

I had some great times sneaking through a small town with a buddy in co-op. It was night, raining, we're using night vision and picking two buildings to clear near the objective so we could set up overwatch. Some things went wrong (I stumbled upon 5 cartel dudes playing pool on the second floor of one of the target buildings), I ended up having to play hide and seek with an armed patrol hunting me down while my buddy on the roof of target building 1 sniped down some of the hunting party.

All of this while avoiding civilians, sneaking into alleyways and into buildings, and swapping out which one of us advanced on foot with the silenced SMG while the other kept watch on a rooftop with a long rifle.

Reminded us of some of the night time scenes in Black Hawk Down, moving through Mogadishu. And completely sold us both on the game.

SJRB

Gold Member

Exactly right. The game is excellent. I just spent like 30 minutes infiltrating the Unidad base in the first province. Did it multiple times already in the betas but it was still fun. Or infiltrate this surprisingly big town overrun with enemies for some intel.

I feel a big part of the game leans on the player's ability to create challenge. I mean, you can run and gun through everything, but it's obvious the game isn't really built for that type of gameplay. If you take it slow and steady, sneak around, plan ahead, the game is extremely rewarding.

Plus I really, REALLY appreciate how enemies go down with one or two hits in the head or chest instead of having to unload half a magazine into them.

Raptor

Something to keep in mind with your squadmates in solo:

They are useful idiots... they can soak up damage, take people out and help you spot. They are a lot more durable than real players in co-op. I find it pretty fun to have them around.

And, like the poster above said, you can tell them to go to a certain position and hold, then you can take on the mission solo if you want.

I usually put them a bit back from an approach,have them hold position and I go in, and if the shit hits the fan I call them in to help me out.
This sounds nice, things get hectic, grab a cover and call for the reinforcements.

Plus I really, REALLY appreciate how enemies go down with one or two hits in the head or chest instead of having to unload half a magazine into them.
My number 1 favorite thing, and the reason that The Division still disappoints, RPG or not.

Yes I know The Division has RPG elements, but no I don't think its *required* that those RPG elements need to apply to health and damage.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Exactly right. The game is excellent. I just spent like 30 minutes infiltrating the Unidad base in the first province. Did it multiple times already in the betas but it was still fun. Or infiltrate this surprisingly big town overrun with enemies for some intel.

I feel a big part of the game leans on the player's ability to create challenge. I mean, you can run and gun through everything, but it's obvious the game isn't really built for that type of gameplay. If you take it slow and steady, sneak around, plan ahead, the game is extremely rewarding.

Yah, pretty great. Only some heavy armored ones take a few more bullets to the chest but headshot is very consistent.

Don't really feel like the beta at all for me. Much better.

Saws this on Reddit. The game has built in info to help you find exactly the weapon or attachment you are looking for.

-Go into load outs screen and highlight the weapon/attachment you desire.
-From there it'll tell you what area/city to look in.
-Go into that area, get an intel cache. The icon is a white circle with an ! in the middle. The first one will give you the locations of the skill points (every single time).
-Find a second intel cache.
-The second intel cache will let you find all the weapons/attachments in the area.
-Pull up the tacmap and highlight the weapon icons until you find the desired weapon/attachment.

Got to get that 30 round mag and ATPIAL sight asap tonight!

Yeah for sure, honestly there were points where the game feels like BHD or Zero Dark Thirty, especially with NVGs on in the middle of night.

The fact that headshots are always a kill unless they hit armor reminds me of MP3, where most of the grunts won't go down easy if they are wearing armor so you have to prioritize threat and headshots. Great stuff.

Yeah, I do appreciate the civilian presence and the number of buildings with usable interiors and rooftops. Those two elements make a tremendous difference to both immersion and the kind of planning and tactics you can use to complete the objective.

I had some great times sneaking through a small town with a buddy in co-op. It was night, raining, we're using night vision and picking two buildings to clear near the objective so we could set up overwatch. Some things went wrong (I stumbled upon 5 cartel dudes playing pool on the second floor of one of the target buildings), I ended up having to play hide and seek with an armed patrol hunting me down while my buddy on the roof of target building 1 sniped down some of the hunting party.

All of this while avoiding civilians, sneaking into alleyways and into buildings, and swapping out which one of us advanced on foot with the silenced SMG while the other kept watch on a rooftop with a long rifle.

Reminded us of some of the night time scenes in Black Hawk Down, moving through Mogadishu. And completely sold us both on the game.

Totally, it's the video game version of tacticool war movies.

I can even take down Helicopters with an M203 just like Arnold.

Yeah, another way you can do this is getting the Cartel Lieutenants, they always give you the option for looking for weapons cases. Also a lot of these guys aren't hard to find because they seem to be everywhere in my game lol. They show up as a little white circle with an exclamation point like this:

( ! )

more or less. Also if they run shoot near them or point your weapon at them to make them stop, most of the times they will stop even in the middle of heavy firefights.

Also the OST is fantastic, not the radio but the background music is very RDR esque. love it.

this game is giving me mafia 3 flashbacks of

go here, do this, do that, repeat

but the gunplay isn't as good
Yeah. And the best part of Mafia is the driving physics

This game tho........

Hopefully this will be like The Division and when I come back to it in like six months it'll be a much better game

There's too much good stuff right now to waste time forcing myself through this

Robso

At the end of PlayStation Lifestyle's review under the cons they state 'very few (if any) mission checkpoints'. Weirdly there's no mention of checkpoints being an issue in the review itself.

I've yet to see checkpoints mentioned in any other review.

So, do you have to start from the beginning if you die in a mission?

GReeeeN

They give you the option to turn off the dead zone entirely. However, there's still input lag. It's not horrible, but it's still kind of annoying.

so turning off this deadzone will increase the responsiveness of the controls?

I played the beta on PC and it felt very snappy, When I gave the ps4 version a go, it was pretty much borderline unplayable. Vehicles are pretty much near impossible to control with any form of accuracy due to the delay, and moment to moment game play felt very sluggish due to the massive input lag. Turned me off the PS4 version quite a bit..

kuYuri

I already have the game, I'm just considering waiting for the 1080 Ti to release before I jump in for the best experience.

Gaz_RB

At the end of PlayStation Lifestyle's review under the cons they state 'very few (if any) mission checkpoints'. Weirdly there's no mention of checkpoints being an issue in the review itself.

I've yet to see checkpoints mentioned in any other review.

So, do you have to start from the beginning if you die in a mission?

Yup. Most "missions" are just areas you infiltrate and take dudes out. Not a ton of linear stuff so not a lot of room for checkpoints.

Kadin

Do random locations on the map that don't immediately show any markers still potentially have things to find? Can't tell if the blue/green markers I see are automatically there or if it's because of something I've done to highlight them.

There seems to be a ton of areas to search, just trying to figure out if they're all worth looking at.

Is there a PC performance thread?
Here.

Zok310

Banned
Will pick this up after MEA, currently on HZD and I ain't rushing.
Loved the beta, solo with ai I was more fond of, sync shot is soooo satisfying.
Can't wait to finish up ME and HZD and just chill with this for the remainder of the spring.

theultimo

Any new game ready drivers yet?

My 1060 can def handle it, but it wqs having issues with vsync sometimes at higher settings.

Kadin

Any new game ready drivers yet?

My 1060 can def handle it, but it wqs having issues with vsync sometimes at higher settings.
Not sure what your monitor and settings are in-game but I have a 1080p monitor with a 1070 and I play Borderless which syncs to my desktop settings so VSync isn't able to be changed. Have you tried doing something similar? When I ran 1080p fullscreen with Vsync turned on, it was a lot worse.

Belker

Ahhh okay sold. What the hell.

Is there a GAF group on Xbox?

I've just set up WildlandsGAF just so people here had control of the name and while the Club technical issues are solved.

I've set it as as a private club since I know the Titanfall Xbox one, was private. I can make OP or someone else leader or co-leader.

Can someone let me know if I should accept any request or, like Titanfall, create some kind of method where people have to quote the post to see how to apply?

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Does the final release look any better than the beta? I was super disappointed with the graphics and jank.
(PS4 Pro)

Found a cave, picked an ally up from a lake in a chopper, completed ghost missions with aplomb, enraged entire bases.

The game has issues, but i just spent 4 hours straight on it in co op, so it is doing something right.

FiraB

Banned
Ok wow I just got a new SSD this morning, tossed Wildlands on it and I'm seeing some damn good gains, I knew I'd get some stellar loadtime gains but fps gains shocked me, sitting at least 12fps higher now then before, it's voodo man.

Peroroncino

How to start doing story missions in San Mateo? I cleared the whole map and there's nothing. The guy in charge is a buchan not some cartel head so it should be already visible.

Woo-Fu

Banned
12 hours of wildlands co-op today with a short break for lunch, had a lot of fun.

Funniest moment was when we backed off from 3 squads of Unidad reinforcements. When they decided to leave the vehicles ran into each other, flipped over and most of them stood on the burning vehicles until they exploded. It was hilarious to watch that via drone. 12-16 Unidad that would have smoked the two of us on foot but were clowns once they had to mount up.

The map is incredible. It doesn't feel like open world, it feels like world world. Rivers, lakes, mountains, streams, sunsets/sunrises, dams, railroads, snow, salt, rain, desert, tundra, taiga, water, jungle, badlands, etc., it has it all.

Was clearing a Unidad FOB with night vision, didn't notice the sun was rising, got perforated crossing an area where I thought I was under cover of darkness but was actually in morning light.

Lastly, there has been a lot of mission variety. Sure, you're still usually having to kill at least some of the enemy but everything else can and does change. Swam into a cave, stealth swam the to the docked boats, took out the dock lookouts, cleared the rest of the cave, gathered the intel, etc. Mission before that I had to use a drone to record somebody having sex.

Dabanton

No, it actually plays great. Looks a bit sharper than the beta I played on PS4 as well because it's the final build.

That's good to hear.

I flicked between the beta on my Xbox One and PS4 Pro and while the PS4 version looked a bit smoother, I just can't with that controller for these sort of games.

So I was leaning towards the Xbox version, may get it this evening.

Ashtar

The game arrived today from Best buy I planned returning it because I have so many games to play.... but it's calling me, I had a lot of fun with the beta but there's so many games to play: Horizon, Nioh, and Yazuka 0 with Mass Effect coming in a few weeks....

Any GAF PC players want to squad up. Add me on steam, uplay, or discord.

Steam: Koala-t
Uplay: Koala-t

and you guessed it

Discord: Koala-t

Top Bottom