• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

SJRB

Gold Member
Scorpio!!

To be fair Crackdown 3 tho

Lol, the Scorpio Reflex. "BUT SCORPIO"

His point is that X-Box has very little to do right now in terms of new games / blockbusters so plenty of X-Box players have a chance to pick up Ghost Recon.

And I still can't get a response from the uk Ubi store. Game still hasn't shipped and still getting put into a queue and no response from the online message service.

Finally got through. They say delivery pending and can't give me an update on when it'll be delivered but it's still in the warehouse. Will update me tomorrow on the status apparently. Bear in mind that pre orders from their store are paid in advance and so I can't cancel, can't get the game and can't get a refund. Absolute joke of a service.

Chumley

Banned
Having a blast playing this as Sicario: The Game with the soundtrack to the film running in the background and dressing my dude up as Alejandro

i48fHyI.jpg

Dervius

Lol, the Scorpio Reflex. "BUT SCORPIO"

His point is that X-Box has very little to do right now in terms of new games / blockbusters so plenty of X-Box players have a chance to pick up Ghost Recon.

Exactly.

At least the non-exclusive third party releases at the minute (RE7, Wildlands, Mass Effect) have also been hella strong.

It's just difficult to see such enormous releases like BotW and Horizon pass by. Genuinely considering buying a PS4, but I hardly have time for my XBone let alone another console as well.

First world problems I guess.

FatalT

Banned
Switch, Zelda, Horizon and Nier say hello.

People don't have big pockets around here, most are selective buyers.

It has come out at a bad time for Gaf to be chatting about as there are so many other games coming out at the moment.

The one thing that has surprised me is how well the game has reviewed both via journalists and gamers! I thought this was going to be very mixed to be honest due to the very repetitive nature of the missions/story even more so than The Division.

I think the scale and variety to the environment is what is enticing people, plus the hilarious co-op moments that are like those badass "world" moments that would happen in Farcry but shared with others.

Hopefully some gaffers are up for some more games later this evening (7pm gmt).

We Xbox One players be like "YEAH WIldlands!".

It's very good, but small consolation...

Exactly.

At least the non-exclusive third party releases at the minute (RE7, Wildlands, Mass Effect) have also been hella strong.

It's just difficult to see such enormous releases like BotW and Horizon pass by. Genuinely considering buying a PS4, but I hardly have time for my XBone let alone another console as well.

First world problems I guess.

Guys/Gals, if it's any consolation I'm having more fun with THIS than I did with Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Sorry for a noob question, I just got a PS4Pro, I have a 1080p tv, do I get any kind of enhancement out of this game at all compared to a regular PS4? I don't seem to in GTA5 either.

Seems weird people with 4k tvs get this at 4k and locked 30 but I can't do 1080p and 60fps, am I crazy?

Drewfonse

Alright, I'm weak. I'll buy it. I probably will solo it and dabble in co op. Is the co op easy to drop in and out of? Just to try a mission or two? Can you specify which mission you want to matchmake for, I assume? Thanks.

Also, when you press the left trigger, your view switches to first person. Is there a way to change that to a zoomed in 3rd person view?

Dervius

A lot of people getting kicked from the Task Force, did something happened or they are ghosts for real now?

The guy who started the TF said there would a be a "cull" today mainly of people who haven't played the game yet. With all the problems it's had I think he's just trying to make sure players can find one another.

Guys/Gals, if it's any consolation I'm having more fun with THIS than I did with Horizon: Zero Dawn.

It is consolation.

Small, but consolation nontheless.

Mantrox

Did a duo with a friend for the first 5 hours yesterday.
My friend convinced me to play, even though the trailers and streams of the game didn't interest me much.
It was great!

We were playing on regular, but you do get a sense of being too powerfull even with just 2 people.

The damage the enemies output though is really serious! No standing in an open field soaking bullets.
We had some laughs when the rebels kept intruding in missions out of the blue and effing it up.

I get the sense that with a 4 or even 3 man/women team the game would get boring and repetitive.
I would rather wait a little more, use some of the distraction gadgets and get a clean sweep than syncshot to victory.

The graphics on this though... My GTX 1070 is getting a workout at 1440p, but it looks amazing.
I spent a good 30 mins in the character creation, just looking at stuff. What an engine...

Hyun Sai

Wow, I'm conflicted. Coop is a blast, but Sync shot with AI squad mates is SOOOO satisfying...

I thought solo would be a bore, but it's the contrary !

Tecnniqe

Banned
Task force invitations and requests seems to work after the purge from the beta of inactive users. Hypu

Got removed by a mistake? PM or post here and I'll get you sorted :)

Drewfonse

Can anyone confirm that you can disable the first person aiming when you press the LT in favor of a zoomed in third person perspective?

Li Kao

Hey guys, I didn't really follow Wildlands development, so what I'm about to ask is a genuine question and not a troll : is Wildlands more or less a re-skinned The Division or is it really something else ?

Peroroncino

I'm having the worst bad luck with this game... not only ghostreconnetwork doesn't work properly for me, I also have to deal with this shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlu9KO4RrIg

But that's not all, suppresors are out of sync when playing in coop [guards can hear loud gunshots, even tho my friends have sups equipped - example] and 1 entire region [san mateo] is glitched for me, there are no missions to pick from and no critical intel to pick up, my friend who started the game yesterday has no problem finding stuff in that area.

SJRB

Gold Member
Don't forget to access the Ubi Club in the game's menu to unlock some camos and the G36 assault rifle.

Dervius

Hey guys, I didn't really follow Wildlands development, so what I'm about to ask is a genuine question and not a troll : is Wildlands more or less a re-skinned The Division or is it really something else ?

Something different altogether.

While it is a 4 player coop tactical shooter, the reality of what it is now is totally different.

It is an enormous open world (vehicles are usable) as opposed to the dense cityscape of New York.

It does NOT follow the RPG-like combat of The Division where enemies were "bullet-sponges" based on theirs and your level. It is a tactical shooter. A headshot is a headshot.

Stealth is / can be a central mechanic.

While there are unlockable weapons and attachments and such, there is not RPG-like gear as in The Division.

There are definite similarities, it has pretty decent character customisation, very customisable weapons, pretty robust drop-in drop-out 4 player coop and definitely has that Ubisoft open-world flavour.

Fury451

Banned
Can anyone confirm that you can disable the first person aiming when you press the LT in favor of a zoomed in third person perspective?

You can alternate between the two, and you can set it so you automatically go third person when aiming, but I don't think you can disable it.

ironcreed

Banned
Wow, I'm conflicted. Coop is a blast, but Sync shot with AI squad mates is SOOOO satisfying...

I thought solo would be a bore, but it's the contrary !

jack.gif

I find it the same as the old Ghost Recon games or Rainbow Six that I loved playing back in the day. Only more streamlined, with more toys, killer customization and a massive open world that offers far more opportunity.

Never played a game like this, but I'm intrigued...

As somebody who loves single player games like GTA V, Watch Dogs 2, Just Cause series, Mafia 3 - do you think this game would appeal to me? Or is emphasis too heavy on multiplayer?

ironcreed

Banned
Never played a game like this, but I'm intrigued...

As somebody who loves single player games like GTA V, Watch Dogs 2, Just Cause series, Mafia 3 - do you think this game would appeal to me? Or is emphasis too heavy on multiplayer?

It is really no different that any squad-based single player game, like the old Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six. If you enjoyed those, plus love massive open worlds with lots of skills, toys and customization then you will be right at home. There is really not many games out like this, especially on on consoles.

Went into some areas I believe I wasn't supposed to be in quite yet just to see some of the different landscapes/environments but the difficulty does ramp up a bit.

I have my Stamina maxed out and I'm just about to max out Bullet Resistance as well.

The Side Missions definitely have a rinse and repeat nature to them in the different regions but even still co-op continues to be a blast.

Li Kao

Something different altogether.

While it is a 4 player coop tactical shooter, the reality of what it is now is totally different.

It is an enormous open world (vehicles are usable) as opposed to the dense cityscape of New York.

It does NOT follow the RPG-like combat of The Division where enemies were "bullet-sponges" based on theirs and your level. It is a tactical shooter. A headshot is a headshot.

Stealth is / can be a central mechanic.

While there are unlockable weapons and attachments and such, there is not RPG-like gear as in The Division.

There are definite similarities, it has pretty decent character customisation, very customisable weapons, pretty robust drop-in drop-out 4 player coop and definitely has that Ubisoft open-world flavour.

It isn't The Divison-- e.g. bad guys (and you on the hardest difficulty) drop with a very small number of bullets.

Thanks to you two, the game picked my interest. Not that I hate The Division, mind you.

Weetrick

Didn't get to play last night since my buddy's copy wasn't delivered (thanks USPS!). Hopefully tonight is different. We had a blast with the beta. I rarely get to play games online with friends so I'm really looking forward to it.

Played a ton of the open and closed beta, but finally having the entire map open, really makes this game impressive. They did a fantastic job at both literally giving us a massive map, but also making the world feel huge through different biomes, city layouts and what feels like thousands of miles of winding roads. Flying north through a valley at night during a lighting storm while trying to stay low from SAM sites was so fucking cool.

In addition, I know the driving physics are meh at best, but the motorcycle driving is definitely serviceable. I highly recommend taking the time to drive to some missions occasionally. It really makes the world feel different, there are lots of fun winding roads, and it gives you a moment to appreciate some of the smaller details of the map that get lost in the air.

All my group did last night was go around and try quick in and out missions to get the white intel markers to unlock the weapon locations and then grab a few bits of kit we want to unlock early. The ATPIAL laser sight is so cool in NVG.

PS- The dual prop airplane you can steal at one of the airports fits 4 players and is what feels like the fastest air vehicle. You can gain altitude super quick and get to destinations fast. Awesome for halo infills.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Put about 6 hours in last night. Playing solo, and I really like the game.

I'm playing no HUD extreme difficulty using the HQ app on my phone as a map.

I'm really enjoying how tactically varied every location is. The whole scout, sneak, snipe then engage if all hell breaks loose cycle is still holding strong with me... and I haven't left the first province. Clearing the whole thing out, and I have about two story missions left.

My main complaint about the game is the radio. The fucking radio. The writing of the "skits" is absolute shit. There are only about 5 of these "skits" that repeat over and over ("Mi madre called me a bossy woman! She was RIGHT!" Auuugghh shut the fuck up!). And the worst thing is, you can't avoid it. Every settlement has like 5 radios blaring this awful ear cancer out at all times.

I'm almost considering quitting the PS4 version and getting the PC one for the inevitable "No Radio" mod. Hopefully Ubi will give us the option to turn all of them off... I mean, I can't imagine anyone enjoying that horrible shit.

void666

Banned
Yeah, the radio is terrible. First thing i do whenever i get in a car is turn off the radio. But there are radios everywhere. You just can't avoid it.

Yeah, the radio is terrible. First thing i do whenever i get in a car is turn off the radio. But there are radios everywhere. You just can't avoid it.

My main objective at all times is not to ghost, kill, find or exfil.

It is to hunt radios. I will not rest until all I hear are the wonderful ambient sounds and the excellent ambient music.

I think the full release added an audio option to adjust dialog volume. That may unfortunately be all dialog volume and not just the god awful squad chatter.

DrBo42

What happens when you clear the map of enemies and still want to play? Create a new character? I would hope they have something in mind to repopulate the map. I haven't even checked, do bases repopulate after you've taken them out? Will they continue to repopulate after the region boss is dead?

Belker

Questions about WildlandsGAF the XBL club.

1. Do we keep it going now the taskforce is up? Might be useful to have multiple ways for people to get in games.

2. Should it be NeoGAF posters only or do you want as many people as possible to join? I've set it so members can invite members, but I can change this.

3. If it's NeoGAF members only, do you want people to prove they can actually post here before being able to join - or take it on their word?

As I'm new here it feels like the board should decide, so let me know what you think.

Brakara

Loving the game so far. One question though: can you play with two different characters (in different sessions, obviously) without mucking the progression of each up ?

Dervius

Questions about WildlandsGAF the XBL club.

1. Do we keep it going now the taskforce is up? Might be useful to have multiple ways for people to get in games.

2. Should it be NeoGAF posters only or do you want as many people as possible to join? I've set it so members can invite members, but I can change this.

3. If it's NeoGAF members only, do you want people to prove they can actually post here before being able to join - or take it on their word?

As I'm new here it feels like the board should decide, so let me know what you think.

I'd vote just keeping it GAF posters / members. I've seen some other clubs just become a shitstorm.

Also, I'm on XB1 and would be keen to join. Look out for my request, GT: Dervius.

So whats the general GAF consensus on this game so far?

Considering picking it up even though I was less than thrilled at the Beta. I would be playing solo or with randoms....how is it with randoms?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I think the full release added an audio option to adjust dialog volume. That may unfortunately be all dialog volume and not just the god awful squad chatter.

I turned the dialog volume all the way down. It only seems to effect cut scene dialog.

The awful radio skits and squad chatter was still audible.

Top Bottom