• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Whoa, just read this on the official forum. If this is true... fucking hell:

Due to marketing agreements Ubi made with these "musicians" (that crap is hardly music to my ears) they have no intentions of giving options for having radios OFF by default. This hurts streamers like me because we get slammed with copyright notices if we so much as record any gameplay at all. However, that is what they count on ... Ubisoft has it arranged so that anyone who streams their game sends money to these "musicians" and also gets the videos blocked in countries they don;t see fit to acknowledge based on their own personal opinion.

As a result, I, as well as at least 4 other streamers I know personally, will not be streaming this game at all.

Ubi will not change this. They have told me so personally and stated their reason why is the agreement they have with the people who wrote the content you hear on those radios.

Ubi is contractually obligated to the musicians to not allow radios to be disabled?

Jharp

You know, the PC version of this game includes a metric fuckton of options, and I really think Ubisoft deserves praise for that. You can really cater alot of elements of this game to exactly how you want it to play.

But even so, I'd love for there to be a FEW more audio options. Most notably, I'd love to be able to disable the thud sound of a bullet hitting a body that plays everytime I hit an enemy. It completely overrides the gunfire sound in a really jarring way, and I'd much rather just hear the fire of my guns than the hit marker noise.

And goddamn include a minimal squad voice option so I can not near all the "and baby makes three," "fuckstick," "I'm gonna make you shit out your guts" complete fucking nonsense, but still retain the enemy callouts and other combat fluff. My guy yelled "shitballs" while being fired at. In a fucking Tom Clancy game. Shitballs.

WHY

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My guy yelled "shitballs" while being fired at. In a fucking Tom Clancy game. Shitballs.

WHY

960.jpg

+

hqdefault.jpg

So - guns you pick up from enemies - can they not be customized or added to your collection?

Pretty sure you need to find a weapons case to unlock them.. you can use them if you pick them up.. but that's it.

Kind of sad, I was hoping to collect them all over dead bodies.

Side note.. what's the GAF task force?

Jebral

I've gone ahead and played past the 2 hour mark on steam. Its an enjoyable game to use as a gap filler. The only thing that is really getting my goat as an offline player is the incredibly not so useful squad commands.

Im not asking for rainbow 6 dreamcast controls

Dapc.png

Just... a touch more than we have now!

Robso

Yup. Most "missions" are just areas you infiltrate and take dudes out. Not a ton of linear stuff so not a lot of room for checkpoints.

Thanks.

Sorry for a noob question, I just got a PS4Pro, I have a 1080p tv, do I get any kind of enhancement out of this game at all compared to a regular PS4? I don't seem to in GTA5 either.

Seems weird people with 4k tvs get this at 4k and locked 30 but I can't do 1080p and 60fps, am I crazy?

The enhancements you'll get are the resolution will be 2560X1440P downsampled to 1080p and smoother framerates.

I don't think GTA 5 has a Pro patch so there won't be any improvements there.

I turned the dialog volume all the way down. It only seems to effect cut scene dialog.

The awful radio skits and squad chatter was still audible.

Noooooooooo! That blows.

Edit: Oh wow that radio contract thing is ridic. What a stupid decision. I have a feeling the squad banter thing is similar. They probably paid a bunch of money for voice acting and think it is crucial to the feel of the game and refuse to give players the option because they know best. The most egregious offense is that shit still plays in co op!!! Don't talk over our own mic dialog fuckwads.

CaptNink

I find it the same as the old Ghost Recon games or Rainbow Six that I loved playing back in the day. Only more streamlined, with more toys, killer customization and a massive open world that offers far more opportunity.

Woah - hold up a second. Like the old Ghost Recon games you say? I might have to try this now.

Belker

But you can turn radios off in cars. And the radio isn't playing when you're walking around in the world.

I think I'd need to see a Ubisoft statement to understand this. Even the phrase 'off by default' could mean you have to adjust it each time you log in.

Ont

I had ton of fun playing with other Neogaf members yesterday. Assaulting those islands with choppers and boats did evoke my childhood memories of Commando film.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
But you can turn radios off in cars. And the radio isn't playing when you're walking around in the world.

I think I'd need to see a Ubisoft statement to understand this. Even the phrase 'off by default' could mean you have to adjust it each time you log in.

The radio is playing outside of cars. Every settlement has a ton of radios blaring that you can hear from like half a mile away.

Belker

The radio is playing outside of cars. Every settlement has a ton of radios blaring that you can hear from like half a mile away.

Oh, yep you're right. I noticed last night that when I turned off my car radio in a town, I could still hear the music. It struck me as odd that Bolivia has only one radio station.
But I still spend a lot of time in the world without radios, so this is all a bit odd.

Yet, I'm trying to imagine any contract where musicians get the upper hand like this. Maybe Ubi paid less for the rights?

Somnia

In comparison, The Division peaked at 113k during the "launch window".

This game had no real hype behind it at all though compared to The Division. I'd say 37k is very impressive for a game so many people seemed to have written off, though that was only on GAF and a few other boards. Most people I know IRL were very excited for this game.

I assume there's no simple radio.mp3 and edgy_squad_banter.mp3 that you can just delete on the PC version?

The 'banter' was extra cringe during the beta when I played it while my wife was in the room. She gave me her best "What are you playing, are you 14?" *rolleyes* look.

Drewfonse

How does matchmaking work, guys? Does it pair you up with people who are specifically looking to play a certain mission?

Someone needs to teach these Bolivians to stop walking around in the middle of the road.

I can't count the number of times I've swerved off the edge of a cliff to avoid hitting a roving pack of civvies.

Gaz_RB

I'm really starting to enjoy the driving now that I've gotten better at it. Drifiting around corners chasing guys down feels really good and things seem to have a nice weight to them. But this is on a controller. M/KB controls are trash.

How does matchmaking work, guys? Does it pair you up with people who are specifically looking to play a certain mission?

Nope, just sort of throws you in there. You might get matched up with someone on the easiest difficulty who can run around like the terminator while you are on expert and get one shot.

I'd highly suggest joining the GAF Task Force and making some friends to play with.

Nope, just sort of throws you in there. You might get matched up with someone on the easiest difficulty who can run around like the terminator while you are on expert and get one shot.

I'd highly suggest joining the GAF Task Force and making some friends to play with.
Difficulty levels are independent per player? I can't decide if that is ridiculous or a great design decision.

Maybe great, could play with your kids. If you're cool with cock holsters, bloody condoms, and chorizo rolled in dog hair dialog I suppose.

calder

This dialogue
"Say goodnight fuckstick"
"Hey fuckstick!"
"3 tangos marked, and that makes a baby"

lol it's "and baby makes three" which is still an odd old expression to use. But it's still infinitely less grating than most of the awful dialogue and chatter. Stunning when something so obviously poor makes it past so many people and no one says "hey this is garbage right?"

Carcetti

I assume there's no simple radio.mp3 and edgy_squad_banter.mp3 that you can just delete on the PC version?

The 'banter' was extra cringe during the beta when I played it while my wife was in the room. She gave me her best "What are you playing, are you 14?" *rolleyes* look.

I wish there was. The squad banter is killing me, the 'tango fucking down' shouts are mega cringe, and I can't watch the cutscenes without hitting ESC like my life depended on it. Worst writing I've seen in a Ubi game so far.

Gaz_RB

Difficulty levels are independent per player? I can't decide if that is ridiculous or a great design decision.

Maybe great, could play with your kids. If you're cool with cock holsters, bloody condoms, and chorizo rolled in dog hair dialog I suppose.

Haha might need to slide that voice audio aaaalll the way down.
I wish there was at least the matchmaking option to only play with others on Expert.

So the more recent batch of reviews hasn't painted a much more negative picture of this game.

If we aggregate the first 8 reviews (day one) the average was 84.

If we aggregate the second wave of reviews that followed, the average has been in the mid-low 70's. User scores have also taken a huge hit.

This is much more compatible with my experience from the beta. Definitely seems like one to hold off on.

I searched on Ghost Recon Network and could not find the GAF Task Force.

Would like to join up if possible for XBONE fun in the Wildlands....

Thanks!

ironcreed

Banned
Woah - hold up a second. Like the old Ghost Recon games you say? I might have to try this now.

In terms of playing single player and having a squad to issue orders to, yeah. That is essentially what this is. Only more streamlined, but in a massive open world and with a lot more options and customization.

I searched on Ghost Recon Network and could not find the GAF Task Force.

Would like to join up if possible for XBONE fun in the Wildlands....

Thanks!

There is a GAF Xbox Club "WildlandsGAF", I'm not sure what the Ghost Recon Task Force is though.. I couldn't find it either.

Thanks.

The enhancements you'll get are the resolution will be 2560X1440P downsampled to 1080p and smoother framerates.

Thanks. Do I need to do anything to enable that?

I know the boost mode update comes out tomorrow for games without native Pro support.

Penox

Known Issues - Updated March 7

Few big ones.
[PC] Autosave low FPS
Some players have been reporting low FPS during autosaving. The team is currently investigating this situation.

[PERFORMANCE] FPS drop in heavily populated areas
When crossing heavily populated areas, such as cities, the game may suffer from a temporary FPS drop. The development team is currently investigating this situation.

[PS4] Performance drop after 100KM
When reaching a total driving distance of 100KM, the associated trophy on PS4 might be triggered in loop, impacting performance of the gameplay. This issue has already been fixed for the next patch.

Fury451

Banned
My guy yelled "shitballs" while being fired at. In a fucking Tom Clancy game. Shitballs.

WHY

Yeah, I heard this in the beta. Made me laugh because I tend to blurt that out when I get startled on a rare occasion and I've never heard anyone else say it.

It sooooo doesn't fit. I think they were going for a "Predator" vibe with the squad banter. It works sometimes, not others. Admirable idea but usually I find the tone to be too tongue in cheek for the subject matter, what with the dismembered corpses and hung bodies and all.

Top Bottom