• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People posting "me too" on social media if they've been sexually harassed/assaulted

15 people I know have posted it and counting.

EDIT: To clarify, men are posting it too.

Fortune said:
A simple, two-word phrase flooded Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram on Sunday night and Monday morning: ”me too."

Women posted the phrase at the urging of actress Alyssa Milano, who on Sunday suggested that women write ”me too" if they'd been the victim of sexual harassment or sexual assault.

”If all the women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted wrote ‘Me too' as a status, we might give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem," she wrote.

The campaign, which Milano credited to a friend, came amid a snowballing scandal related to the alleged sexual misconduct of film producer Harvey Weinstein.

As of Monday morning, more than 6 million Facebook users were ”talking about" me too and the #metoo hashtag was trending on Twitter.

RDreamer

I think the saddest thing is that I'm really not surprised at the amount of these I see on my Facebook timeline. I know there's even more not doing it.

Boke1879

Yup alot of the people I know and follow on twitter and on facebook have posted this. People need to understand this happens far more often than people would like to admit.

hEist

my twitter tl was filled with this. It made me feel ill, sad, disgusted and sorry and made me question our society.

platocplx

Nearly every single woman ive ever dated or known has had some level of sexual assault or Harassment by men. Be it family members, boyfriends or strangers. Its infuriating to me when any men really don't understand why this is such an issue and/or argue about the small minority of women who may lie about this stuff.

Nearly every woman has a story or many and they are strong as hell for having to deal with this shit all the time.

Also this is also for young boys and men it may happen which also is a big issue.

It's been all over my social media. I'm ashamed to admit I didn't think it was as common as it clearly is. The list of my female friends who haven't posted it is much shorter than the list who have.

laoni

Yeah. I don't post much about these sort of things going around, but, this one I did. I was a lucky one, my university listened, and took action, but not everyone gets that

Maybe this attention on sexual assault will help change the mind of the woman who declined to press charges on Nelly because they felt the system would fail them

platocplx

Maybe this attention on sexual assault will help change the mind of the woman who declined to press charges because they felt the system would fail them

It still fails them sadly. But more should still document and come forward especially against powerful men.

It seems incredibly common for a random guy to reply and chime in "but they are just assholes." I am glad some are calling that bullshit out too.

r6eVldrl.png

Sai-kun

Banned
It's been way more than a dozen people I know. Some just leaving it at 'me too' and some describing everything.

It makes me angry as fuck.

Steel

Banned
Yeah... Got felt up on a subway once as a kid by a guy in religious robes with a bunch of people wearing the same thing around. Was terrifying, but compared to others that's pretty tame on the scale of things.

It seems incredibly common for a random guy to reply and chime in "but they are just assholes." I am glad some are calling that bullshit out too.

r6eVldrl.png

The thing about that is that some things do have some crossover, in that some people (men and women) will find a comment or action to be sexual harassment, whereas others (again, men and women) will not find the same comment/action to be harassment at all. In that sense there's almost a degree of subjectivity to it, so it makes sense to see some comments like that.

Just like to add that I'm in no way defending sexual harassers - just giving my two cents as to why you'll see "nah, he's just an asshole" comments.

Pilgrimzero

I see this posted here. Then go to Facebook and the first post on my feed is a girl I’ve played board games with back in the day has “Me too” posted. :(

Kinokou

I don't usually jump into any of these awareness campaigns, but this one has such a low threshold and I don't feel like I'm poking a hornets nest or being a bother to anyone with just posting "Me too", so I think it is a nice campaign.

I'm glad this awareness and openness is finally coming out and not being shunned or ignored but it's disheartening knowing that a man who openly bragged about sexually assaulting a woman was then voted in as president. It makes you realize so many people just don't care. :(

Hyun Sai

I'm glad this awareness and openness is finally coming out and not being shunned or ignored but it's disheartening knowing that a man who openly bragged about sexually assaulting a woman was then voted in as president. It makes you realize so many people just don't care. :(
And think of all the women who voted for / support him.

I've seen half a dozen on Facebook. Not surprised how common it is tbh, but that's a sad fact.

i don't think i know a single woman who hasn't been harassed in one way or another. some with more minor cases but a whole lot had some disgusting stories.

men aren't so eager to share.

Yep. That's the reality. Don't think I know (know well) a single woman who hasn't been sexually harassed or assaulted in some way. I know it's no great surprise to people that this is the case, but maybe getting a scope of it visually will impress upon guys just how bad it actually is.

Viewt

Yeah, I've been seeing lots of people posting about this on Facebook. It's terrible, but what's also terrible is how not-surprising it is.

Sexual harassment and assault isn't exclusive to men, but I think, as men, we should use this as an opportunity for introspection. The vast majority of us are not Harvey Weinstein, but we live in a deeply misogynistic society and culture. Most of us (if not all of us) contribute to it or have contributed to it in some way. Think about times when your behavior or comments might have made women feel uncomfortable, unsafe, or unheard. Think about opportunities you have in the future to create a more lady-friendly environment, whether it's at work, school, or just out and about.

Also, remember, inaction is its own choice, and it has its own repercussions. What you do when you encounter sexism and/or harassment is your own choice, but as men (especially those of us who are straight and white), we're often shielded from the worst of consequences. We can use that privilege in a positive way.

Many of us are good dudes, but we can all do better. Let's do better.

MazeHaze

Banned
Just a couple of days ago my girlfriend went to a concert with her friend. They both had their asses grabbed multiple times, and a dude thought it was ok to just walk up behind my girl and put his hands around her waist.

This shit happens all the time, dudes are fucking gross.

I'm 47 years old and almost every single woman I've dated had told me they have been harassed or forced to have sex at some point in their life, be it physical force or coercion. Think about how many women that is. And I wager that it's even more common in minority communities.

tbm24

My wife has been debating with herself on whether or not to join in. She's spent years working through it all with personal and professional help. She's at the point where she's not letting it own her, then this Me Too thing shows up and it's all over her social media. Kept her up at night trying to figure out if she's an asshole for not wanting to partake. Haven't really had a good response to it if I'm honest. It's definitely made me wonder how many people are in similar shoes as her and hanging back.

RDreamer

I'd be surprised if the number isn't nearly 100% of women. I can't think of a single woman I've ever talked to who hasn't been sexually assaulted or harassed. Most of them can talk about one experience when they were very young, too. When my wife posted hers she said she can vividly remember at least 4 separate instances before she even turned 13.

Meanwhile... As a man, I can't think of any times I've been.

My wife has been debating with herself on whether or not to join in. She's spent years working through it all with personal and professional help. She's at the point where she's not letting it own her, then this Me Too thing shows up and it's all over her social media. Kept her up at night trying to figure out if she's an asshole for not wanting to partake. Haven't really had a good response to it if I'm honest. It's definitely made me wonder how many people are in similar shoes as her and hanging back.

She shouldn't feel obligated to post. It's a very personal thing to share.

shaneo632

Had a bunch of posts. Two guys posted it as well.

One of my female FB friends posted that she hopes it causes guys to look back at their pasts and consider whether they've ever put women in this position. Gave me food for thought. I thought back to when I was a drunk 16 year old and grabbed a female friend's ass and made her cry. I then spent a while in the shower feeling like shit. Self-reflection is a good thing.

platocplx

r6eVldrl.png

Or "he was just a boy not a man" Like we try to minimize this behavior in some way like no. Grown ass men are doing this.

The thing about that is that some things do have some crossover, in that some people (men and women) will find a comment or action to be sexual harassment, whereas others (again, men and women) will not find the same comment/action to be harassment at all. In that sense there's almost a degree of subjectivity to it, so it makes sense to see some comments like that.

Just like to add that I'm in no way defending sexual harassers - just giving my two cents as to why you'll see "nah, he's just an asshole" comments.

It takes an asshole to respond to someone else's experiences of sexual harassment by downplaying it and minimizing it and dismissing it by telling them that they're wrong and it's just someone being an asshole.

Bigfoot

Isn't there a big difference between sexual harassment and sexual assault though? I'm not sure why they are lumped together. I'm sure almost everyone has experienced sexual harassment at some point just like almost everyone has experienced bullying at some point. I know I have had my share of both but I have never been assaulted (in any form).

Edit: Just before any questions it, I'm not saying sexual harassment isn't bad. It is and it sucks when it happens to you. I just think that sexual assault is a lot worse.

Reeks

I hope this doesn't get me banned but it's how I'm feeling atm. I've been sexually harassed and I've been raped. Tbh I feel weird about lumping all sexual misconduct together. But of course now it's time to put shit on the table and I'm so proud of everyone who's had the courage to do so. And I'm proud of the people who are silent as well and getting through it because getting up in the morning can be a challenge post trauma. I support every victim of sexual harassment, assault and rape. So I'm not sure what I'm getting at. Everything is so complex.

Top Bottom