• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill 2, 3 & 4 PC thread - A guide to a better HD Collection

KTallguy

Banned
I wonder if PS2 emulation on a powerful PC would be a better experience than the actual PC ports of the games? I have all of the games on PS2 anyway...

JRW

I tried that but whenever I load SH2 the controller is completely unresponsive, I know its configured in xpadder because I can open Notepad and the controller emulates the keyboard presses Ive configured, do I need to somehow disable the controller in SH2 for xpadder to work properly? (I don't see any options to do so).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I tried that but whenever I load SH2 the controller is completely unresponsive, I know its configured in xpadder because I can open Notepad and the controller emulates the keyboard presses Ive configured, do I need to somehow disable the controller in SH2 for xpadder to work properly? (I don't see any options to do so).

Go int the keybinds in SH2 and delete all the controller bins in the second column so they are blank.

JRW

Go int the keybinds in SH2 and delete all the controller bins in the second column so they are blank.

Thanks I had tried that before but turns out I had to change the SH2 shortcut back to default settings, I had the compatibility mode set to WinXP SP2 and Run as administrator checked (based on recommendations from another forum, running Win7 64), not sure which of those xpadder didn't like but it's working now.

I printed out the controls page from the SH2 PS2 manual and configured xpadder as close as possible to that, the only thing I couldn't setup was the right analog stick for Search View, but I can hold Left trigger + Left analog to look around (PS2 used L2 + Right analog for looking around according to manual).

So now it's running @ 1080p w/ 360 controller (yay), I finished SH1 on PSX years ago but i've never played SH2 - 4.

EDIT: I had to re-check Run as administrator in the SH2 shortcut otherwise I couldn't save my game (It would just say "Unable to save"), You just have to also run Xpadder as admin then everything is fine (so far).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
KTallguy said:
I wonder if PS2 emulation on a powerful PC would be a better experience than the actual PC ports of the games?
Only if you enjoy Silent hill without any shadows.

Lime

Anyone have a nice Xpadder profile to use for this?

Stallion Free is supposedly working on it for SH2.

In the meantime, I should say that I was entirely able to use my 360 controller by setting it up in the Options menu. It's pretty easy and I just delegated the 360 buttons to the actions, although without the use of the Left and Right Triggers. Instead I just used R3 and L3 as replacement mappings.

SH2 was working and today if i go to the options it crashes to desktop all the time. any help?

I haven't experienced like that. You could try reinstalling it (if your CD's aren't scratched or anything) or see if your Nvidia/AMD settings are set to override anything that might cause the crash.

I tried the PC version of SH2 a while back, and the only issue I was having was a 5-10 second transition whenever I opened up the map screen. I was told this was due to the game having to change resolutions every time.

Has this been addressed by now?

Unless your computer is very low-spec, the issue you are referring to has never occured for me. Transition between in-game and inventory is pretty normal in my experience.

Ein Bear

Great thread, thanks a lot. Have never played through this series, so I've just picked up 2, 3 & 4 PC. What's the best way to play the first game, should I just be playing the PS1 version? I can't work out if Shattered Memories on the Wii is a remake or not?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
On another note I'm testing this out for a later streaming of my first run through the game and transitions to areas or menus seem to have a bit more loading than when I tried emulating the PS2 versions. Is this normal for the PC version or did I screw up a setting?

Stallion Free is supposedly working on it for SH2.

In the meantime, I should say that I was entirely able to use my 360 controller by setting it up in the Options menu. It's pretty easy and I just delegated the 360 buttons to the actions, although without the use of the Left and Right Triggers. Instead I just used R3 and L3 as replacement mappings.

Actually made one myself using the PS2 manual as a basis to set everything. I can't use B for canceling but other than that it seems to work okay.

The emulation isn't perfect, so shadows don't render.

Yeah I noticed that when comparing to other screens in 1.0 which is unfortunate since the games otherwise run fine now.

Lime

Great thread, thanks a lot. Have never played through this series, so I've just picked up 2, 3 & 4 PC. What's the best way to play the first game, should I just be playing the PS1 version? I can't work out if Shattered Memories on the Wii is a remake or not?

Shattered Memories isn't comparable to SH1. It's an incredibly different game and narrative, so I would recommend playing SH1 instead (as it ties into SH3) through either an emulator or a PSX/PS2/PS3. That is, if you don't mind the technically primitive graphics and tank controls.

On another note I'm testing this out for a later streaming of my first run through the game and transitions to areas or menus seem to have a bit more loading than when I tried emulating the PS2 versions. Is this normal for the PC version or did I screw up a setting?

Loading between areas and menus on the PC versions has been pretty normal for me, if not quicker than the PS2 versions (which is why I kind of miss the nice loading screens, because the PC versions are too quick). I am unfamiliar with any setting that would interfere with the loading time. It might be a memory issue for you, but that's just a guess.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Loading between areas and menus on the PC versions has been pretty normal for me, if not quicker than the PS2 versions (which is why I kind of miss the nice loading screens, because the PC versions are too quick). I am unfamiliar with any setting that would interfere with the loading time. It might be a memory issue for you, but that's just a guess.

Hrmm, I'll try messing around with it some and see if I can fix it.

Also, I got the controls to almost mirror the PS2's by setting using B to emulate a right mouse click instead of ESC.

Silent Hill 2 Xpadder profile for those who want to try it and tell if anything is off since I've never played the game before: http://www.mediafire.com/?ygookhqqnmm5daf

Hrmm, I'll try messing around with it some and see if I can fix it.

Also, I got the controls to almost mirror the PS2's by setting using B to emulate a right mouse click instead of ESC.

Xpadder profile for those who want to try it and tell if anything is off since I've never played the game before: http://www.mediafire.com/?ygookhqqnmm5daf

Thank you, I will try it out later and let you know. My profile doesn't feel quite right.
These games on PC just look so amazing.

Ein Bear

Shattered Memories isn't comparable to SH1. It's an incredibly different game and narrative, so I would recommend playing SH1 instead (as it ties into SH3) through either an emulator or a PSX/PS2/PS3. That is, if you don't mind the technically primitive graphics and tank controls.

Cheers, wasn't sure if it was a Resident Evil REmake situation. I got SH1 free through PS+ anyway, so I'll go with that, thanks!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
New version of my profile that fixed an error I made for X/A and for those that used the analog press + the right stick for the camera: http://www.mediafire.com/?ij268ji69vtmqoy

Also, I found out other people had my loading problem, and there is pretty much no solution sadly besides setting the resolution to 800x600. I tried with the resolution patching res unpatched and it's the same slowdown when it's not on 800x600 so I'm not sure what is going on there.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmmm... so it sounds like the PC version of Silent Hill 3 really is the best version of that game. Maybe I need to pick it up again, since I've been wanting to actually play through it.

Though I guess I'm curious if the PS2 versions on an emulator would look better if the shadows worked properly... augh, I'm so confused.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hmmm... so it sounds like the PC version of Silent Hill 3 really is the best version of that game. Maybe I need to pick it up again, since I've been wanting to actually play through it.

Though I guess I'm curious if the PS2 versions on an emulator would look better if the shadows worked properly... augh, I'm so confused.

SH3 PC has feature parity with the PS2.

Grief.exe

Good thread.

SH is on my radar now after I watched the twin perfect videos yesterday.

Really interesting how horrible that HD collection is...

Just a tip if people are having trouble playing scary games. Take off your headphones.

Seriously, with the audio positioning on headphones a game like silent hill can be too real. Playing on speakers, or with your headphones just laying on your desk, is a much better option.

XOMTOR

I know. I'm just pondering whether the PS2 version, if run in an emulator with the rendering resolution cranked up, would equal or better the PC version.

I dunno, but I'm running the PC version of SH2 with 3x3 supersampling and can't imagine the emulated version looking better. Does the emulated version get widescreen support? And can you disable the film grain effect?

As far as I can tell, the only issue with the PC version is that you lose advanced shaders/filters or somesuch and lens flares when enabling AA. I can't for the life of me figure out what the former even does after taking multiple screenshots to compare on vs off. The lens flares look kinda goofy when enabled so I'd rather have the AA.

Lime

I dunno, but I'm running the PC version of SH2 with 3x3 supersampling and can't imagine the emulated version looking better. Does the emulated version get widescreen support? And can you disable the film grain effect?

As far as I can tell, the only issue with the PC version is that you lose advanced shaders/filters or somesuch and lens flares when enabling AA. I can't for the life of me figure out what the former even does after taking multiple screenshots to compare on vs off. The lens flares look kinda goofy when enabled so I'd rather have the AA.

It is possible to use AA and Lens Flare + Advanced Post-Processing simultaneously. As I already explained in the guide, do not have AA enabled when starting up SH2, go into the options and make sure that Lens Flare + APP are set on. Exit the options, start the game, alt+tab and set AA to override. Thus you get the Lens flare + APP effects along with the sweet, sweet SSAA.

Example of lens flare on/off. Both screens have 8xSSAA and are downsized from 1080 to 720 to accommodate the thread:

On:
sh2pc2011-04-2318-58-ixscz.png

sh2pc2011-04-2319-15-xmsha.png

Off:

JRW

New version of my profile that fixed an error I made for X/A and for those that used the analog press + the right stick for the camera: http://www.mediafire.com/?ij268ji69vtmqoy

Also, I found out other people had my loading problem, and there is pretty much no solution sadly besides setting the resolution to 800x600. I tried with the resolution patching res unpatched and it's the same slowdown when it's not on 800x600 so I'm not sure what is going on there.

I have the same problem with the lag between actions, for example if I press the Map button it takes about 4 seconds to actually show the map, then another 4 seconds when I close the map.

Or another example in the beginning when you walk out of the bathroom and find the map in the car it took 4-5 seconds to show the inside of the car when pressing action.

I checked youtube videos and PS2 version is much quicker with these transitions / opening map etc. so not sure whats wrong with PC version here.

I'm running SH2 off the hard rive (full install) and have 12GB ram / i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / Win 7 64.

I also change CPU affinity to a single core as instructed, other than the transition lag the actual game play is fine and looks nice @ 1080p , Played it for a few hours last night.

EDIT: Just realized I still have WinXP installed on another partition, Ill install SH2 later and see if the lag is still there and report back.

Lime

In regards to how the PS2 versions of SH2+3 are emulated through hardware emulation I just did some tests with the latest PCSX2 revision. The below issues are avoidable if you do software emulation, but then you play it in 480p:

Silent Hill 2:

Silent Hill 3:

It's pretty clear to me that unless you are fine with playing in 480p in software emulation, that the PC versions of SH2 & 3 are superior in the sense that they allow for custom resolution, proper widescreen, different modes of AA, screenshot functionality, etc.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I have the same problem with the lag between actions, for example if I press the Map button it takes about 4 seconds to actually show the map, then another 4 seconds when I close the map.

Or another example in the beginning when you walk out of the bathroom and find the map in the car it took 4-5 seconds to show the inside of the car when pressing action.

I checked youtube videos and PS2 version is much quicker with these transitions / opening map etc. so not sure whats wrong with PC version here.

I'm running SH2 off the hard rive (full install) and have 12GB ram / i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / Win 7 64.

I also change CPU affinity to a single core as instructed, other than the transition lag the actual game play is fine and looks nice @ 1080p , Played it for a few hours last night.

EDIT: Just realized I still have WinXP installed on another partition, Ill install SH2 later and see if the lag is still there and report back.
Yeah, I tried again with a clean install and the patch seems to be causing the lag somehow. I'm trying to find a way around it since I plan on going through the Silent Hill series soon. x:

I have a full install/ 8GB of ram/ i3-2100 @ 3.10 GHz/ Win 7 64 bit for reference.

Lime

@ JRW and InfiniteNine

I apparently misunderstood you two. In Silent Hill 2, the loading screen between areas is faster than the PS2 versions (what I thought you meant), but you are correct that there is a slower transition by about 2-3 seconds between opening the map or inventory after having applied Squizzy's respatch.

A couple shots from Silent Hill 2 - Born from a Wish

http://i.minus.com/ibgZY5DJNeTHMy.png[img]

[img]http://i.minus.com/ibpkBiHSuBlOfH.png[img][/QUOTE]

Nice shots. Haven't played through Born From a Wish in a long time, but this might be a proper kick in the ass.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well if that is normal I suppose there is no fix. It's annoying but I can deal with with the 4-6 second wait, but that happening in what appears to be an already slow paced game is kinda got on my nerves after emulating the PS2 disks and going to this.

MNC

Gonna try and play Silent Hill 3 soon; I think I've finally settled my mind for Silent Hill 2. It is SUCH a masterpiece.

Didn't Silent Hill 3 have some missing fog effects?

I tried the PC version of SH2 a while back, and the only issue I was having was a 5-10 second transition whenever I opened up the map screen. I was told this was due to the game having to change resolutions every time.

Has this been addressed by now?

Loading between menu screens and between in-game and map/inventory on this game has always been obnoxiously slow for me, usually taking about 4-6 seconds to switch. (Loading between in-game areas is usually instant though.) This has been the case across 3 computers, a Pentium 4 running Win XP, a Core 2 Duo running XP and then Win7, and now an Ivy Bridge running 7. I don't know how that compares to the PS2 version but 5 seconds to bring up the inventory is rather tedious and I've never known anything else.

For some reason I had SH3 on PC I forgot why, but it looks really good.

Also (random) but for anyone near Hollywood or visiting in the next month and are big Silent Hill fans. At Universal Studios they are doing a Silent Hill maze and replicating a lot of the stuff from the games (lots of subtle nods ect) it's goin to be sweet.

JRW

Well running SH2 in WinXP is a little quicker with opening the map in 1080p but we're talking maybe 1 second faster, If I change the resolution to 800x600 the transitions are still much faster (takes about 1 - 1.5 seconds to open map) but I don't think its worth the reduction in resolution.

Also noticed in XP the audio settings in SH2 shows "3d Hardware acceleration enabled" but in Win 7 it just has a "Software 3d Sound" option. (Creative X-Fi soundcard).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hell no it isn't. Having just rolled through the entire game and the bonus episode, dropping resolution for a faster map opening is a terrible trade off.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Going to go ahead and use my PS2 copy of Silent Hill 2 for this since that map, inventory, and area loading in the PC version got on my nerves way too quickly.

NinjaBoiX

I just saw that you tube video of what went wrong with the HD collection, it's laughable. I never realised how bad they fucked it up.

No source code is a BS excuse, Bluepoint just rip the ISO from the retail disc and reverse engineer it.

I think I'll just get rid of my PS3 copy, I don't want my first playthrough of these classic games to be a hack job. I'll wait till I get a decent PC.

alf717

I am having a little issue with Silent Hill 4 and the FOV settings. I right click the value and set it to the numbers here in the thread. Then I click the "F" to freeze the value but I get no FOV change when I return to the game. 1080P resolution works fine.

Lime

I am having a little issue with Silent Hill 4 and the FOV settings. I right click the value and set it to the numbers here in the thread. Then I click the "F" to freeze the value but I get no FOV change when I return to the game. 1080P resolution works fine.

I just tried it again and it worked fine for me. Try this Art Money table to see if it changes anything, but it shouldn't be different.

I don't know if there are differences in the memory addresses between regional PC copies. I'm using the US version of SH4. What about you?

alf717

I just tried it again and it worked fine for me. Try this Art Money table to see if it changes anything, but it shouldn't be different.

I don't know if there are differences in the memory addresses between regional PC copies. I'm using the US version of SH4. What about you?

I use the US copy and the EXE file in the links. Let me try these new settings and see what happens.

Edit:

No I get the same results. 1080P but Henry is still stretched. The type is set to "Float 4 bytes" while everything else is "Integer 4 bytes" should I change this?

I use an AMD card but it is all set to default settings.

Lime

I use the US copy and the EXE file in the links. Let me try these new settings and see what happens.

Edit:

No I get the same results. 1080P but Henry is still stretched. The type is set to "Float 4 bytes" while everything else is "Integer 4 bytes" should I change this?

I use an AMD card but it is all set to default settings.

This is how Art Money looks after loading the uploaded table:

Before:
beforea9b05.png

After
afterfvx5l.png

You have tried this once you're in the 3D-rendered game, right? And not in the main menu of the game?

Made a 360 controller profile for SH3 in Xpadder: http://www.mediafire.com/?e9jzwhruyj2f121

Let me know how it works! I pretty much just set it to what it'd be like with SH2's for the most part.

Thanks, InfiniteNine, I'll probably put them in the posts above.

Top Bottom