• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake Announced | PS5 & PC

Flabagast

Wait, The Medium was bad? darn, I kept thinking about giving it a try sometime.
Not, it was pretty good I thought. YMVM however, it's very light on gameplay but it is a true visual powerhouse, and I don't speak only about "graphics" in the technical sense (although it is very good). There are some striking visions to be found in this game.

If you're interested into it, I think there is a good chance you'll like it, you should give it a go.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Wait, The Medium was bad? darn, I kept thinking about giving it a try sometime.
It was recently added to one of the top tiers of PS+, go that route if you really want to try it. Don't pay the $30+ asking price.

I personally think it's complete trash and I'm generally pretty patient and forgiving with games.

I haven't played a Bloober game yet, so no sense of their work, but I will say that *to me* the tone seemed significantly off in this, admittedly brief, look.

I'll hope for the best, but if the trailer is indicative of where this will land, I don't have a great feeling about it.

This remake is already a no for me, despite the immense work. SH2 is a game that's extremely hard to remake and i can already tell they just fucked it up with the characters and tone.

I'm not mad about it but it's a shame even people who are probably fans of the original game didn't get the subtelty of the chara-design that is a big part in the themes of the game and the atmosphere. It just shows how western games are lacking in intelligence.
Yes, the nuance is missing for sure imho. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to insult all Western development (plenty of great work there), but it's most definitely missing that undercurrent that defines Silent Hill for me. Although granted, again, this is just a brief snapshot. But if this is what is being shown, I do worry that it will fail to meet what I hope for in a SH title. But, I'll be patient and hope for the best.

Last edited:

op22

I see people keep mentioning that room but I believe that was this scene.
It looks like the prison gallows which it was raining in.
B8Zp46W.jpg

I don't think those nooses are interactable. Maximilliandood ran underneath them in his playthrough.

The animation matches the noose room but it shouldn't be raining in there.

Strange.

Last edited:

ungalo

I haven't played a Bloober game yet, so no sense of their work, but I will say that *to me* the tone seemed significantly off in this, admittedly brief, look.

I'll hope for the best, but if the trailer is indicative of where this will land, I don't have a great feeling about it.

Yes, the nuance is missing for sure imho. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to insult all Western development (plenty of great work there), but it's most definitely missing that undercurrent that defines Silent Hill for me. Although granted, again, this is just a brief snapshot. But if this is what is being shown, I do worry that it will fail to meet what I hope for in a SH title. But, I'll be patient and hope for the best.
I wanted to edit my post and nuance it but ultimately i didn't know how to express it. But yes sometimes (and despite playing a lot of western games, perhaps even more than japanese) i see western development like people wanting to brute-force into everything (and i could extend this criticism into way more things in the artistic field, regarding the US in particular...it's more or less linked even though bloober is polish).

Here in this trailer i see foremost how someone could see Silent Hill 2 in a superficial manner. The atmosphere, the melancoly, the "psychology" of the character...i don't want to be overly pessimistic but i think that they will sacrifice any meaning the original have as long as it adds to the "spectacle" factor.

Not at all, I enjoyed it and it is quite unique, give it a shot by all means

What I was getting at is that Bloober Teams other games are much better imo Blair Witch is pretty good for example but Observer and Layers of Fear are excellent
I couldn't stand Observer ..headache the game ..endlessly long sequences of walking while being bombarded by random bits of story like when you're in that one guy's psyche

I wanted to edit my post and nuance it but ultimately i didn't know how to express it. But yes sometimes (and despite playing a lot of western games, perhaps even more than japanese) i see western development like people wanting to brute-force into everything (and i could extend this criticism into way more things in the artistic field, regarding the US in particular...it's more or less linked even though bloober is polish).

Here in this trailer i see foremost how someone could see Silent Hill 2 in a superficial manner. The atmosphere, the melancoly, the "psychology" of the character...i don't want to be overly pessimistic but i think that they will sacrifice any meaning the original have as long as it adds to the "spectacle" factor.
I'm not in disagreement with you in principle. I just see little benefit in impugning a whole class of developers when there is a wide range of expressions belonging to that group. Yes, I think that Eastern devs generally have a greater appreciation for the subtle, less IN-YOUR-FACE approach, as do I. I think they're tuned into little details oftentimes that may seem superfluous to many developers and don't need to hit you over the head with everything, and I LOVE that. But there are great and poor makers of games from every category.

That issue aside, I'm definitely seeing a "We don't understand what Silent Hill *IS*" vibe coming off that trailer. But I hope to be proven wrong, obviously. I love SH (1-4) so much, and I dream of a proper return to those qualities, be it called Silent Hill or something else.

SCB3

I'm not in disagreement with you in principle. I just see little benefit in impugning a whole class of developers when there is a wide range of expressions belonging to that group. Yes, I think that Eastern devs generally have a greater appreciation for the subtle, less IN-YOUR-FACE approach, as do I. I think they're tuned into little details oftentimes that may seem superfluous to many developers and don't need to hit you over the head with everything, and I LOVE that. But there are great and poor makers of games from every category.

That issue aside, I'm definitely seeing a "We don't understand what Silent Hill *IS*" vibe coming off that trailer. But I hope to be proven wrong, obviously. I love SH (1-4) so much, and I dream of a proper return to those qualities, be it called Silent Hill or something else.
That’s a good point, even Konami didn’t know what SH was after 4, none of the games after did well in reviews aside from the Wii remake thing of 1

Facism

Not enthusiastic. Can't get over the "Press X to cry" face and emoting they're pushing with James compared to the original.

peronmls

Why does anyone have faith? Masahiro Ito is not designing any models, textures or animations. He's just overseeing the project. Akira Yamaoka is NOT doing the sound design like monsters or environmental sounds. Only music. Why is everyone excited again? Oh the name of the title.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t get it. To me it just looks some guy rendered in Unrea
It’s the wrinkles on his face showing the expression of insanity? It’s hard to interpret the meaning of the puzzle without giving away too much of the plot. 😒PS2 couldn’t do that

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Completely off topic but I wish I could remember which Game Informer issue it was, but there was a blurb about an upcoming gritty detective style game with comic book style story delivery. There may have even been a screenshot in the small write up. The game was Max Payne of course. It seemed like 5+ years before the game actually released and when it did I was like, "holy shit, that's the game that I read about in GI all those years ago..."

Top Bottom