• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

Draper

Did you read their posts? They're far from standard criticism. The one dude is in here trying to money shame everyone and the other one is acting like this is his anti-Apple livejournal straight making shit up about imaginary videos.

Hm, wasn't aware. Fair enough

ayeorkean

the more I look at pictures of the X the more I like it.

ZQayzOa.gif

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Just wanna say. I can attest to, at least, ronco showing up in multiple (if not all) iPhone threads just to troll. Not saying there aren't legitimate complaints about the X *cough* 1300 CAD *cough* but some people are here just to waste air.

Owari

You're right though, I should chill. There are plenty of reasons to not get an X, but for those of us who are die hard iPhone enthusiasts, this is really the perfect device. I guess I let the trolling get to me, my bad.

Draper

You're right though, I should chill. There are plenty of reasons to not get an X, but for those of us who are die hard iPhone enthusiasts, this is really the perfect device. I guess I let the trolling get to me, my bad.

All good my man.

It would be perfect for me if it was larger and had touch id in the screen, but oh well- I'm still considering getting one. I'd also like to see a more ambitious OS with split screen. This latest firmware has me like, 'huh?'

Wonder if we will ultimately see a larger one

Future

The ad is clearly aiming at a young audience with all the "fun" features. But with the price tag, it is just unrealistic for that demographic.

This is the same marketing strategy for Macbook Pro: a $2000-3000 laptop with a touch bar "for emojis", instead of showing some utilities for the "pro" users.

Yeah not sure I get this either. The edition watches were the most expensive and aimed at the older crowd that could afford expensive watches. Who is supposed to be able to afford the iPhone X?

Hattori

Banned
Yeah not sure I get this either. The edition watches were the most expensive and aimed at the older crowd that could afford expensive watches. Who is supposed to be able to afford the iPhone X?
people with expendable money or good credit that can take advantage of the iPhone Upgrade Program

NCSOFT

In terms of bezel-less screen designs, this conceptually does take it one step further than Android counterparts, because currently there's no other phone on the market with screen reaching to all four borders. Even essential phone and Xiaomi Mix has screen reaching three but not four borders.
However, when it comes to real screen to body ratio, there seems to be at least 5 phones on the market which has better screen to body ratio than Iphone X
Here they are:
Essential ph-One (84.9% screen to body ratio)

Samsung Galaxy S8+ (84% screen to body ratio)

Samsung Galaxy S8 (83.6% screen to body ratio)

Xiaomi Mi Mix (83.6% screen to body ratio)

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (83.2% screen to body ratio)

Iphone X (82.9) screen to body ratio

So the OLED panel is apparently going to be at 625 nits compared to Sammy's 1000 nits max. Brighter than the iPhone 7/+, dimmer than the 6/+.

Thoughts on how this will impact direct sun usage?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As someone who games heavily on his phone, what's killing me is not knowing how game devs will adjust things (or not) to work with the notch in landscape mode. For one of my games, the notch is right in the area where the digital analog stick in used. If Apple won't allow them to make the ears black and shift the game toward the right, the game becomes somewhat unplayable.

I would have thought the rules would be similar to how they were before. You shouldn't hide the status bar (effectively what the notch is) in apps except in certain circumstances - games, full screen video playback etc.

Games will be free to change the background colour and potentially even turn that area off.

Official statement by Apple on what FaceID did on stage:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/13/face-id-demo-fail-details/

Apple explained that the demo iPhone X had been handled by several people before being setup at the demo table for Craig Federighi. Face ID had tried to authenticate the faces of everyone who handled the device, and after failing, the iPhone X moved to require a passcode. Thus, when Federighi went to demo Face ID, the iPhone X was already in passcode mode.

Kyoufu

So the OLED panel is apparently going to be at 625 nits compared to Sammy's 1000 nits max. Brighter than the iPhone 7/+, dimmer than the 6/+.

Thoughts on how this will impact direct sun usage?

Is that correct? Google says the S8 does 610-ish nits on the home screen and up to 1000 when Auto Brightness is enabled on a sunny day.

Samsung provide the panels don't they? No real reason to have a big gap in peak brightness.

Damon

The more I think about it the more I can't justify it.

That money could be spent more efficiently elsewhere.

I mean I like it and want one but I honestly don't believe it's worth that price, especially at omissions of basic accessories such as fast charging bricks and cables or starting at 64GB instead of 128GB.

Apple really needed to do more to help justify the price, especially for their loyal customers who buy into the brand. But I guess their loyal customers will continue to buy into it regardless, which is why they'll probably get away with it.

Guess I'll stick with my 7, unless I seen an insane deal for the iPhone X

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Anyone else infuriated there's seemingly no side by side on iPhone X? I love the hardware, but I want the OS to use this extra screen space we now have :-/

Is that correct? Google says the S8 does 610-ish nits on the home screen and up to 1000 when Auto Brightness is enabled on a sunny day.

Samsung provide the panels don't they? No real reason to have a big gap in peak brightness.

That's what I'm seeing, yes. that max brightness for the Sammy is 1,020 (610 max via manual adjustments), while the max for the iX is apparently 625. But given that Sammy provides a different maximum automatic brightness that far exceeds the manual maximum, maybe the iX does too. Something else we'll have to wait and see on.

As someone who games heavily on his phone, what's killing me is not knowing how game devs will adjust things (or not) to work with the notch in landscape mode. For one of my games, the notch is right in the area where the digital analog stick in used. If Apple won't allow them to make the ears black and shift the game toward the right, the game becomes somewhat unplayable.
Yeah, I'm with you too. Not knowing exactly how different games will handle the notch is worrying. My hope is that they'll just make the "ears" black and just scoot the screen over a bit to have a normal rectangular area for games that aren't built around the notch. Games that use that area as menu buttons or health bars would be nice, but I don't know how many devs would customize something like that for just this one model of phone (when all previous iPhones and the 8 are still normal rectangles).

Not knowing about that, as well as the lack of fingerprint sensor and high price, makes the X seem like a pretty first-generation device (meaning wait-and-see and/or skip altogether).

I personally hope next year if they iron out my worries (finger print reader in screen or on back, minimized or non existent notch, and a lower price) and just make it the only line of iPhones (a smaller one and a larger one).

That's what I'm seeing, yes. that max brightness for the Sammy is 1,020 (610 max via manual adjustments), while the max for the iX is apparently 625. But given that Sammy provides a different maximum automatic brightness that far exceeds the manual maximum, maybe the iX does too. Something else we'll have to wait and see on.
The iPhone 7 also boosts to over 700 with auto brightness, I see no reason why the X won’t boost higher than stated specs.

VoxPop

The more time passes, the more I want this phone. The notch isn't a dealbreaker for me and it's actually growing on me if anything. While I love TouchID, if FaceID does its job properly, I don't mind it at all.

Hopefully it isn't too hard to get come launch day. I've been able to preorder every iPhone so far but the X seems like it will be super limited even moreso than the Jet Black Plus before it. I'm glad it's dropping in November as well so I have time to prepare for it :3

simonski

What happens to the applecare part of the upgrade program? I hand in my phone to pay off the remainder of the current loan, but part of that loan (in the UK at least) is for the applecare+ required for the IUP. Does that get refunded, or moved to the new phone, or lost?

Damon

What happens to the applecare part of the upgrade program? I hand in my phone to pay off the remainder of the current loan, but part of that loan (in the UK at least) is for the applecare+ required for the IUP. Does that get refunded, or moved to the new phone, or lost?
It gets cancelled and you pay to start a new AppleCare+ on the new handset.

Jofamo

It wouldn't get refunded because you haven't paid for the Apple Care part of the loan all in one go. Like the cost of the phone, the cost of Apple Care is spread over the monthly payments. You've only paid for the months you've used, and it'll get cancelled once you upgrade.

Radec

Man, it still baffles me why Apple of all companies decided to use that notch at the top looking like that.

Could have used something like the S8/Note8/V30 did and it wouldn't look annoying on full screen apps/videos.

I would have thought the rules would be similar to how they were before. You shouldn't hide the status bar (effectively what the notch is) in apps except in certain circumstances - games, full screen video playback etc.

Games will be free to change the background colour and potentially even turn that area off.

Didn't know there was an exception for gaming. That's good. Hope the dev solutions to this are good.

Man, it still baffles me why Apple of all companies decided to use that notch at the top looking like that.

Could have used something like the S8/Note8/V30 did and it wouldn't look annoying on full screen apps/videos.

Really feels like they were just trying to be unique.

Sean

Banned
yeah, that makes sense.

But it makes it sound like the phone would, in social situations, detect 'accidental unlock attempts' way more often than with touchID and you'd end up having to enter your passcode more often.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where that'd occur and can't come up with anything? Typically your phone is either in your pocket, or being held and used by you (in which case it'd already be unlocked by your face).

Probably what happened here is they had someone preparing the phone to be demoed by wiping off the fingerprints/cleaning the screen/plugging it into the projector etc and that person accidentally triggered the 5 failed unlocks that require a passcode.

But typically you're the only person handling your phone so I can't see this being an issue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Didn't know there was an exception for gaming. That's good. Hope the dev solutions to this are good.

to be clear, I'm not completely sure on specific rules for the X, but I've been working with iOS apps and we're allowed to hide the system bar for those cases, but they recommend only doing it where necessary, citing video and games as two examples where it might be necessary.

Seems like the guidelines are something like
- if you don't need to hide the system icons, they should not be hidden (eg basic app with text/information etc)
- if you do need to (games, full screen video) you can hide the system icons completely and turn the ears whatever colour you want (eg black so they hide)
- you can change the background of the ears but they'd prefer you not to - should use the apps background colour (this seems aimed at emphasising the top to bottom screen)

to be clear, I'm not completely sure on specific rules for the X, but I've been working with iOS apps and we're allowed to hide the system bar for those cases, but they recommend only doing it where necessary, citing video and games as two examples where it might be necessary.

Seems like the guidelines are something like
- if you don't need to hide the system icons, they should not be hidden (eg basic app with text/information etc)
- if you do need to (games, full screen video) you can hide the system icons completely and turn the ears whatever colour you want (eg black so they hide)
- you can change the background of the ears but they'd prefer you not to - should use the apps background colour (this seems aimed at emphasising the top to bottom screen)

Gotcha. Makes me hopeful at least.

Top Bottom