• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

As an iPhone 7 owner I'm not really feeling it. I expected more to be honest.

Face recognition, wireless charging, better camera, and processor are cool but still not doing it for me. I'll wait for the next generation to get my money's worth from the upgrade.

Owari

I wonder how much Samsung is paying Ronco2000 and Oxn for their time. Hopefully enough to grab a brand new iPhone X.

Jigolo

As an iPhone 7 owner I'm not really feeling it. I expected more to be honest.

Face recognition, wireless charging, better camera, and processor are cool but still not doing it for me. I'll wait for the next generation to get my money's worth from the upgrade.

Gen 2 might see 120hz variable screen, fingerprint under screen and smaller notch. Some of the things I can see aside from the usual spec bump and camera improvement.

Oof. I really hate the X and its dumb notch. Not the notch itself, mind you. Just the implementation. (The mockup being posted around here is so good...)

I think I'll go for an 8, but I want to see the colors in person before making a choice. I've been wanting Rose Gold on a phone for a while now, but I dunno how it'll look with the glass back instead of the 7's style. :/

Owari

Oof. I really hate the X and its dumb notch. Not the notch itself, mind you. Just the implementation. (The mockup being posted around here is so good...)

I think I'll go for an 8, but I want to see the colors in person before making a choice. I've been wanting Rose Gold on a phone for a while now, but I dunno how it'll look with the glass back instead of the 7's style. :/
8 doesn't come in Rose Gold.

Strakt

So should I get an S8 or wait for this X?

Wait imo. Either wait for reviews to drop on the X or until its in store display so you can try it out yourself. By then s8 will drop in price and you get to see what people think of the X. Although once X preorders start, you most likely won't receive one until 2018 if you order late.

Mailbox

I should like the iPhone X. It does a lot of catching up that iphones have needed for the last few years feature wise. But...

-The top lip is bad design. Its fine in portrait mode, but landscape and apples design notes to devs is attrocious. Really the front should have been basically a reverse Mi Mix.

- many android phones have nailed the glass back look. Why does the X look like its a cheap toy from the 90's. The glass looks like an encasing rather than actually feeling like part of the phone. Of all the glass back designs ive seen this is one of the worst.

- considering what you are getting compared to the competition, $1000+ is insanity.

So should I get an S8 or wait for this X?

I recommend getting an S8. Nothing i've seen justifies the insane price of the X.

Seriously, people complaining about the note 8's price compared to the s8+ and yet somehow some are exusing this? Please...

(As an fyi i was an iphone user until a couple of weeks ago, i dont really have a pony in this race)

X coming from a 5 would be like going from a flip phone to a 5.

I think its time you get your nose out of apples ass, yeah?

Owari

(As an fyi i was an iphone user until a couple of weeks ago, i dont really have a pony in this race)

I think its time you get your nose out of apples ass, yeah?
"I don't have a pony in this race, and I'm not I mean totally not justifying my early switch to android before even seeing the new iPhones"

Also, going from a 5 to an X is absolutely the same jump as a dumbphone to a 5. Have you used a 5 recently? It feels like ancient technology. Even the SE feels ancient purely due to the size.

As someone who games heavily on his phone, what's killing me is not knowing how game devs will adjust things (or not) to work with the notch in landscape mode. For one of my games, the notch is right in the area where the digital analog stick in used. If Apple won't allow them to make the ears black and shift the game toward the right, the game becomes somewhat unplayable.

NYR

Given the insane price, the amount of RAM in these latest Apple phones is pathetic.
Apple has proven, year in and year out, they manage RAM better than any Android phone ever. iPhones need 3 GB to do what Android can do with 4/5. They don't need a lot of RAM.

Given the insane price, the amount of RAM in these latest Apple phones is pathetic.

More ram is always better but I can't think of a time using my 7+ that I felt like I needed more ram. All the issues I had with previous phones that felt like it was caused by a lack of ram weren't there.

Wait for the X.
Uh huh...

I recommend getting an S8. Nothing i've seen justifies the insane price of the X.
Yeah I see that...

Just get both.
Or neither.
#nocompromises
It's the only smart thing to do.
#noragrets

dVJNUJlVS6yeyEYhtJIL_Confused%20Mark%20Wahlberg.gif

Kyoufu

"I don't have a pony in this race, and I'm not I mean totally not justifying my early switch to android before even seeing the new iPhones"

Also, going from a 5 to an X is absolutely the same jump as a dumbphone to a 5. Have you used a 5 recently? It feels like ancient technology. Even the SE feels ancient purely due to the size.

I think you need to go back and use a dumbphone again to see the hyperbole in that statement.

keuja

I thought I would dig the faceID but after seeing some YouTube videos of demos,I'm not really feeling it anymore. The whole process of unlocking the phone, say from your pocket, seems significantly slower and more cluncky than with just touchID :(.

Draper

Not any more loony than the people I mentioned continuously shitting all over the iPhone in the iPhone thread.

Don't meet loony with loony. Maybe just chill a little.

Criticisms are fine- Apple did make some questionable decisions this iteration, after all.

Owari

Don't meet loony with loony. Maybe just chill a little.

Criticisms are fine- Apple did make some questionable decisions this iteration, after all.
Did you read their posts? They're far from standard criticism. The one dude is in here trying to money shame everyone and the other one is acting like this is his anti-Apple livejournal straight making shit up about imaginary videos.

Top Bottom