• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

Mistake

I see nothing about this phone as being that much more special than my 6S. A newer chip and higher camera, that's it. I can't even consider it at that price. It's almost how much I paid for my for quad core lenovo

toohectic

You think they didn't consider this?

As others have mentioned in the past, I think Apple's goal is to show the bar prominently in order to create a unique style that is quickly identifiable as an iPhone. Similar to the unique style that the circular home button provided compared to other manufacturers' phones.

Kyoufu

I see nothing about this phone as being that much more special than my 6S. A newer chip and higher camera, that's it. I can't even consider it at that price. It's almost how much I paid for my for quad core lenovo

OLED is a significant upgrade tbh. I agree the price is high but the phone does look like a big upgrade over previous iPhones.

Strakt

uhh OLED? And yes OLED is that much better

No worries, it looks like developers are already fixing UI issues.

v53wIaA.gif

kind of cute. lol

Mistake

OLED is a significant upgrade tbh. I agree the price is high but the phone does look like a big upgrade over previous iPhones.
To be honest, I didn't get the 6S+ because I'm not watching movies on my phone. So a better screen from what I have now doesn't matter much.

Owari

Do people really care about the idea someone can grab their phone and point it at them to unlock it?

Like this is a real concern?
Not to anyone who ever considered buying a new iPhone. Just the android trolls who's devs failed them with similar 3D facial tech.

I just think buying an X is bad because of the precedent it sets in tech firms really ripping us off. It's like buying a banana for $100. It's not worth it, and its obscene.

You're throwing money away, that could help someone else. In this respect buying an X is helping to further class divides and the suppression of the common man. This is another step in a potential corporate nightmare, where we don't bat an eye when a phone cost over a £1000 while people on the street are starving.

One could argue any entertainment or luxury product falls into being a tool of oppression, but I disagree. But some goods are worth their value, and some are clearly a preposterous ripoff that can potentially eat away at the fabric of our social consciousness.

There's just something wrong with so many of us so enthusiastic to spend such a large sum on a mere phone. So enthusiastic about letting an almost trillion dollar company to rip you off. Its not right. We should pause and accept we are at terrible crossroad.
Hahaha

Wait, are you serious? By this logic, better not buy anything ever.

Much faster chip
Better camera front and back
New features (whether you care or not)
Super sized screen for smaller form factor and weight
Longer battery life

'Sounds pretty much like every other iteration to me, so why did you get your 6S when the 6 was still available for less money?

Owari

Apple is one of the richest countries in the world, hires and can hire the best in the business, yet random people on the internet create better looking designs than them.
And when the phone is rotated, would you want the status bar to remain permanently in portrait mode? Come on.

They do this for every iteration. :rolleyes:
Yeah, a year later when the new shit is about to come out.

Why do they feel the bottom needs to be cut off also? Just cut off the top!

I was thinking of this myself this morning while driving to work and I hoped they cut top and bottom when viewing video. Even when playing games for that matter.

The thought of either having a cutout on one side or flat one side and rounded the other really put me off in regards to the X.

Cut top and bottom and make it match. Kind of defeats the purpose of the display though.

Sean

Banned
Damn they're already anticipating no one wanting the 8. Makes sense. What a weird purchase decision.

Why is it weird?

The base model iPhone 8 is $300 cheaper than the base iPhone X which is a big difference for most people. And you don't have to re-learn an entire operating system / decade of behavior either.

It's most likely going to be the best-selling iPhone SKU this Fall.

Strakt

Why is it weird?

The base model iPhone 8 is $300 cheaper than the base iPhone X which is a big difference for most people. And you don't have to re-learn an entire operating system / decade of behavior either.

If they make enough X's, then 100% X is going to outsell the 8. No doubt about it.

But seeing as there are rumors of delays and they're only making 10k X's a day, the 8 and 8+ will outsell the X due to limited availability.

Mistake

Much faster chip
Better camera front and back
New features (whether you care or not)
Super sized screen for smaller form factor and weight
Longer battery life

'Sounds pretty much like every other iteration to me, so why did you get your 6S when the 6 was still available for less money?
2GB of ram and better board. It was an obvious choice. But I guess what I'm saying is that my 6S still does everything fine. There will always be a faster chip, but right now an upgrade at that price isn't necessary for me at all. And the new features are not necessary either

Owari

Why is it weird?

Lol yeah, cause the good iPhone will be impossible to find w/supply issues. Doesn't mean 8s the more wanted phone. The way cheaper iPhone 7 makes more sense than iPhone 8 unless you for some reason have a boner for wireless charging.

Trade in required

ronco2000

Damn they're already anticipating no one wanting the 8. Makes sense. What a weird purchase decision.

Apple purposely made the iPhone 8 to make everyone buy into their more expensive X. $300 more per unit in their pocket. Because they know their base won't settle for a less desirable 8. Pretty fucked up in Apples part do this to their base, but that's how Apple is. They don't care about their base as long profit is good. I guess their base deserve this evil business practice.

Guess Who

Banned
Apple purposely made the iPhone 8 to make everyone buy into their more expensive X. $300 more per unit in their pocket. Because they know their base won't settle for a less desirable 8. Pretty fucked up in Apples part do this to their base, but that's how Apple is. They don't care about their base as long profit is good. I guess their base deserve this evil business practice.

They made the iPhone 8 because there are not going to be enough iPhone Xes to meet demand, pure and simple. They want to get new phones in people's hands and with the X not launching until late and even then very likely to be in short supply, they need a phone they can easily sell tens of millions of this quarter.

Strakt

Or they wanted to make a model for people who can't afford the X? It was known almost 5-6 months ago apple was going to make a 7s or 8 alongside the anniversary edition (X). Not to mention only 10k X's are being made each day.

Klotera

Why is it weird?

Availability will also be a factor.

This will be an intriguing case. Apple seems to be trying to set up a third tier of phone, as opposed to the traditional budget and premium tiers. I'm not sure how that will play out. We know the X will be limited supply and is expensive. We're already seeing diminishing returns on phones, but Apple has always been able to drive a hunger for the latest and greatest. Now that the 8 isn't the latest and greatest, will the market for that be limited? Will people with 6 and 6Ss be compelled to upgrade if they can't get an X due to supply or cost?

Owari

Read again.
"Trade in iPhone 6 or more required"

Charging more for a phone that has premium parts isn't evil dude, chill out.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

dude I've seen you in like every iPhone thread, but never contribute anything. Like whats the end goal here? everyone says "oh roncotrollthousand thank you for showing us the error of our ways. how could we be so blind"

Strakt

dude I've seen you in like every iPhone thread, but never contribute anything. Like whats the end goal here? everyone says "oh roncotrollthousand thank you for showing us the error of our ways. how could we be so blind"

Don't worry hes just a troll. He's the same guy who was telling me how I should spend my money.

Guess Who

Banned
Availability will also be a factor.

This will be an intriguing case. Apple seems to be trying to set up a third tier of phone, as opposed to the traditional budget and premium tiers. I'm not sure how that will play out. We know the X will be limited supply and is expensive. We're already seeing diminishing returns on phones, but Apple has always been able to drive a hunger for the latest and greatest. Now that the 8 isn't the latest and greatest, will the market for that be limited? Will people with 6 and 6Ss be compelled to upgrade if they can't get an X due to supply or cost?

Apple is actually selling five tiers of iPhone now, and even more if you count the Plus models as separate tiers:

1. SE
2. 6S (Plus)
3. 7 (Plus)
4. 8 (Plus)
5. X

There's basically a different phone available at every $100 price increment from $349 to $1199, which is kind of insane. If you want an iPhone, there's no shortage of options now!

I do wonder if the X is a one-off, though, and that next year (or perhaps the year after) its tech will trickle down in to the mainstream tier. It has to at some point, right? Unless they can come up with something really compelling and different to justify that extra tier each year, it seems almost like a "we added a high-end tier because we just can't get this available in mass market quantities/prices yet" move.

ronco2000

LOL. Keep drinking those apple juice. You know I'm right.

So you're saying you'd settle for 8 instead of paying an extra $12 a month?
I'm sure 10 out of 10 people would gladly pay that $12.

The Llama

Tempting to sell my Galaxy S8 and pick up an X tbh. Figure I can easily get $400 for the S8, making the X "only" $600. Haven't had an iPhone since the 4S (and my god that thing was beautiful) so it's tempting just to have a different OS at this point.

Strakt

Tempting to sell my Galaxy S8 and pick up an X tbh. Figure I can easily get $400 for the S8, making the X "only" $600. Haven't had an iPhone since the 4S (and my god that thing was beautiful) so it's tempting just to have a different OS at this point.

Yea I think i might sell my s8+ for the X. X is def gonna be hard to grab on preorder night though if you don't hit the order button within the first 10 seconds lol

Anyone else think this is how apple should have used the notch?

iphone-8-forbes.jpg

It should look more like a seemless status bar rather than how they're doing it now.

If they did this, the top two corners would be a different shape from the bottom two corners. People would still complain.

Jarmel

Banned
I wish they would let you preorder now so you could see how far back in the queue you'll be. I'm willing to get the X if I can get it in November but I have a feeling shit could easily slip to January even if you're pressing F5 the first minute.

Otherwise might just get the 7 and deal with it for a year.

The Llama

Yea I think i might sell my s8+ for the X. X is def gonna be hard to grab on preorder night though if you don't hit the order button within the first 10 seconds lol

I'm probably just going to have a few beers that night and let my drunken personality decide...

I have FiOS Gigabit internet though so hopefully I'll be ok lol.

I'll probably get one of these in Jan / Feb since I highly doubt I'll be able to secure one this year. Took me a while to get 7+ availability.

Anyone else think this is how apple should have used the notch?

iphone-8-forbes.jpg

It should look more like a seemless status bar rather than how they're doing it now.

Yup. I wouldnt mind sacrificing a little bit of the screen if it meant having an uniform display. That stupid notch is such a mind boggling decision.

Sean

Banned
If they make enough X's, then 100% X is going to outsell the 8. No doubt about it.

But seeing as there are rumors of delays and they're only making 10k X's a day, the 8 and 8+ will outsell the X due to limited availability.

I dunno. The X is obviously highly desirable to us tech enthusiasts and I have no doubt Apple will sell out of every single unit they make, but the "regular folks" I've asked don't seem quite as thrilled.

Like I asked my parents (age 62 and 67) their thoughts as they're both eligible for an upgrade. My mom's reaction was "I don't know if I like that [lack of home button]" and my dad's reaction was "Why'd they get rid of the fingerprint reader, does that mean I can't use my Walgreen's app anymore?"

I can see a lot of people choosing to stick with the cheaper, more familiar option for this year.

Klotera

Apple is actually selling five tiers of iPhone now, and even more if you count the Plus models as separate tiers:

1. SE
2. 6S (Plus)
3. 7 (Plus)
4. 8 (Plus)
5. X

There's basically a different phone available at every $100 price increment from $349 to $1199, which is kind of insane. If you want an iPhone, there's no shortage of options now!

I do wonder if the X is a one-off, though, and that next year (or perhaps the year after) its tech will trickle down in to the mainstream tier. It has to at some point, right? Unless they can come up with something really compelling and different to justify that extra tier each year, it seems almost like a "we added a high-end tier because we just can't get this available in mass market quantities/prices yet" move.

While they sell that many phones, I don't think they're necessarily each a "tier" in and of themselves. SE and the 6 line are budget, 7 is current high end. Presumably, 6 will be phased out and 7/7S will slide into that budget slot, with 8 filling the high end.

Keeping in mind, of course, that Apple's concept of "budget" is different than the non-Apple world. In the non-Apple world the tiers are budget, mid-range, and premium. In the new Apple world, the tiers are budget, premium, and super premium.

(One could argue the Note 8 falls into super premium territory based on price, but from a marketing standpoint, it's more of a enhanced version of their S8 line, rather than a drastically different phone, as the X is to its peers).

Draper

Expanding Brand Awareness- The Apple Strategy

What kind of phone is that? That dumb notch at the top looks fucking stupid.

That, my friend, is the new iPhone X

Oh...okay.

Top Bottom