• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN PUBG Early Access review-in-progress PC = 9.0, Xbox = 5.0

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I have a feeling this honestly could stay exclusive until next Christmas season, kinda like Rise of Tomb Raider.

Considering how big this is for them though, I’m hoping it stays full exclusive or at least a until 2019.

neurophd

I have a feeling this honestly could stay exclusive until next Christmas season, kinda like Rise of Tomb Raider.

Considering how big this is for them though, I’m hoping it stays full exclusive or at least a until 2019.
I would imagine it would stay exclusive for some time after the completed retail release, v 1.0 per se. At this rate your timeline seems reasonable.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Honestly, if nobody had complained about this game I'd have assumed that with 100 people on the map, it's possible that some of them might have garbage broadband which might make it hard to hit them sometimes. I'd assume those 100 people on the plane might influence performance but honestly wouldn't even have thought about it.

I'd also say that it feels like a game being put together by a small team and that framerate isn't great right now (I have played worse completely finished products though).

Glad that it's in beta and will be getting improvements but right now all these claims of "unplayable" don't ring true.

I imagine that if a game with this level of Jank came out on a Nintendo system people would look for the positives and try and enjoy it. Here, the game I've enjoyed this weekend is unplayable according to other posters.

Calibos

5.0 is generous

Agreed

It’s broken on console currently

Yup...completely unplayable...can't move, aim or get kills...no one is winning games, it doesn't seem like fun at all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky0N13BuoC0&t=918s

These guys aren't having any fun...they aren't killing anyone...they can't move...the game just isn't working at all...

I just think people are focusing on the wrong things...The game is an absolute great time to play with friends. I also think that IGN giving it a 5 is really pretentious and out of touch with the larger gaming community...

It's still in beta. Too early to discuss performance.
Wow.

Yup...completely unplayable...can't move, aim or get kills...no one is winning games, it doesn't seem like fun at all...

These guys aren't having any fun...they aren't killing anyone...they can't move...the game just isn't working at all...
I only watched a minute of that video from the timestamp you provided and it only serves to support the complaints. The guy even says "I cannot believe how chunky it is" lol

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

I just think people are focusing on the wrong things...The game is an absolute great time to play with friends. I also think that IGN giving it a 5 is really pretentious and out of touch with the larger gaming community...

The same thing happened with the last gardian on base PS4, where fans would argue at what framerate a game becomes unplayable.

MarcelDG88

Neo Member
Its not a spin,

Game betas dont include the full game in its final incarnation.

My point is IGN are reviewing a preview version, I think it would be better doing an "impressions from game preview" and not a full review yet.

A "beta" you are paying 30 dollars for, if it was a free beta like MHworld then i would totally agree with you. But reviews are here to warn people from trash games or games that need lots of work. And this game falls under that category bc is cost money to participate ,

Acerac

Banned
PUBG fans seem really REALLY sensitive to any criticism. To the point where it almost feels like they are parodies of themselves, in fact.

Any time I’ve seen pubg it looks so rough like an adult version of that online block game. Assets all look like they were made by people that never met.

hiphopcr

PUBG fans seem really REALLY sensitive to any criticism. To the point where it almost feels like they are parodies of themselves, in fact.
It also seems like a lot of people who aren't playing this game are making it appear to be unplayable when in reality, there are many of us playing and enjoying it.

Calibos

Wow.

I only watched a minute of that video from the timestamp you provided and it only serves to support the complaints. The guy even says "I cannot believe how chunky it is" lol

These guys are all PC players with massive Rigs too...But maybe you missed the point. Watch the whole video and tell me that they aren't able to play the game...tell me they aren't able to kill and win...tell me they aren't having fun....

It is easy for me to not play the game and get hung up on it's issues. I can play the game and point out framerate issues and texture popping and glitches too. To what end though? I have played 40+ matches now across all modes.

Its the most fun, tense, exciting gametime I have had in years.

It's the narrative that the game is unplayable that is bothersome to me...I am not trying to convince anyone to play the game...the sales say that it isn't necessary...but there are a whole bunch of people that are trying to convince me that I shouldn't be playing it and if I am, I shouldn't be having fun...

I am warrior-ing way to hard for this game and that is annoying too...people should get some perspective on the game's development on PC and the roadmap of development on Xbox though.

Calibos

Calibos leave it some people are just miserable. People are enjoying the game that's all that matters

I suppose...feeling way to passionate to even have an objective opinion anymore. Friends and I are enjoying and looking forward to the inevitable improvements. I will be curious to see if we get a patch this week...but it's also the holidays so I guess I am not holding my breath.

Good luck and enjoy your dinners...

Belker

In regard to frate, rubber banding and interface, the game is terrible on Xbox. The gameplay is great and it's fun with other people, but players are having fun in spite of the problems. They've managed to make a game that people will play even though they hate the process of playing it.

It's buggered. Awful. I enjoy it and I still don't think it should have been released in this state. A five is entirely appropriate.

Xiaoki

Really hate this bullshit "its in Early Access/beta" excuse. People use it as a blanket hand-wave dismissal of any and all complaints.

And the developers know what they are doing.

Ark was in "Early Access/beta" for 2 years and had a paid expansion.

Early Access just means "the game needs another couple years to fix bugs and performance but the developers want your money now".

These guys are all PC players with massive Rigs too...But maybe you missed the point. Watch the whole video and tell me that they aren't able to play the game...tell me they aren't able to kill and win...tell me they aren't having fun....

It is easy for me to not play the game and get hung up on it's issues. I can play the game and point out framerate issues and texture popping and glitches too. To what end though? I have played 40+ matches now across all modes.

Its the most fun, tense, exciting gametime I have had in years.

It's the narrative that the game is unplayable that is bothersome to me...I am not trying to convince anyone to play the game...the sales say that it isn't necessary...but there are a whole bunch of people that are trying to convince me that I shouldn't be playing it and if I am, I shouldn't be having fun...

I am warrior-ing way to hard for this game and that is annoying too...people should get some perspective on the game's development on PC and the roadmap of development on Xbox though.
You're taking this far too personally. No one is disparaging you for enjoying the game, but rather disparaging the developer for making a piss poor effort. The fact that people enjoy the game despite the issues is a testament to the gameplay, not the programming. You don't need to "warrior" for this game, you owe these developers nothing. The onus is now on them to deliver a polished product.

I suppose...feeling way to passionate to even have an objective opinion anymore. Friends and I are enjoying and looking forward to the inevitable improvements. I will be curious to see if we get a patch this week...but it's also the holidays so I guess I am not holding my breath.

Good luck and enjoy your dinners...

The console version is objectively flawed currently. No debate. Hundreds of thousands of gamers have expressed displeasure with the broken state of game on console.

Please don’t be a fanboy

Slash76

It's funny to check that since it was released most of people in my friends list is playing PUBG, everyone having fun and sharing their best kills and making comments about it. You can feel that the game is being really succesful on Xbox community.

I'm playing it on Xbox One X and having a blast whith this GAME PREVIEW ( 0.5.24 version, I think that many don't understand it ) and other friends that play on One S or One Fat, they are also having a lot of fun. It works better on X, but it doesn't make it unplayable or less fun.

The game will improve for sure, its only an early version of a game preview, but many videogames sites and people at forums are not fair whith it. I understand this when it happens with fanboys that can't enjoy this game on his favourite system, but I don't understand it with sites like IGN.

In this gen there has been a lot of 60€$ games ( not GAME PREVIEW like PUBG ) that has been released with a lot of bugs and very bad performance, and they have been well scored in many cases. If there has been an 'unplayable' game this gen to me, it is Just Cause 3, with a framerate even worst than a Game Preview like PUBG. I see the scores and don't understand it. People are forgetting that fun and entertainment should be more important that framerates, resolution and all that tech things.

Just Cause 3 (Xbox) IGN........ 5.9
PUBG game preview (Xbox) IGN... 5.0

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
A "beta" you are paying 30 dollars for, if it was a free beta like MHworld then i would totally agree with you. But reviews are here to warn people from trash games or games that need lots of work. And this game falls under that category bc is cost money to participate ,

Yeah I know, try reading my other posts in the thread, thank you.

lol just imagine the meltdown once Star Citizen gets a "beta/early access" release.......cant imagine what a massive mess of a game it will be and the absolute backlash from those who spent $3k buying imaginary spaceships in a game still in beta phase

"The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it"
- Morpheus (The Matrix, 1999)

The "it's a beta game though" is pretty much this.

Fact is, this game is broken as shit, and it still costs a good slice of money. This is unacceptable. What's next, geoing back to cross burning again?

They're asking for your money. No it isn't.

If you cared about performance, you’d wait till the full release. No one is twisting your arm to pay money for a beta.

This is the equivalent of pre-ordering a game so you’re can get a key to the multiplayer beta. If you just can’t wait for the real release, of course they will take your money.

You haven’t paid for a finished game. You paid for a beta. They met their obligation.

P.S. seems to run ok to me. Could be better, but still loads of fun.

Alx

This is the equivalent of pre-ordering a game so you're can get a key to the multiplayer beta. If you just can't wait for the real release, of course they will take your money.

I'd say it's more similar to a kickstarter. When you pre-order, you should be able to cancel that order and get your money back. Paying for an early access is more contributing financially to the project to help its development, and getting "insider" access to the work in progress as a reward.
The model is fine in that regard, although personally I'm not too fond of the kickstarting model (or early access), as I'd rather be a pure consumer than a minor investor without ROI. But people who pay for it are supposed to know what they're getting into indeed.

Shifty

If you cared about performance, you’d wait till the full release. No one is twisting your arm to pay money for a beta.

You're not wrong- I wouldn't pay for the game in this state, and nobody's pushing me to.

However, that doesn't render the game exempt from criticism. They are selling a product for money, ergo value judgements will be passed.

So much hate over this game being exclusive to xbox.

Sheesh.

You could make it in the movie theater industry with projection skills like that.

Top Bottom