• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN PUBG Early Access review-in-progress PC = 9.0, Xbox = 5.0

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
I think people need to remember that acceptable performance is not an objective measurement, and is in fact highly varied among gamers and platforms. It is entirely reasonable to question a games performance regardless of how much fun it is to play. I have had huge amounts of fun with games that perform poorly or are actually broken but that doesn't invalidate those complaints.

There are those who will consider any level of performance acceptable if they can play a game and enjoy themselves, just like there are those who will not play a game at all unless it meets certain levels of quality. Being early access does allow more leeway for these things on the basis that they are unfinished and will be corrected, but again, this doesn't invalidate complaints regarding its current performance, nor does it suggest it should not be commented on because it is incomplete. Even if a game is free it is reasonable to comment on how it performs. Any game - full release or otherwise - has the potential to be altered and fixed where problems lay, but we do not hold off reviews on the basis they may be fixed in the future. We comment on its current quality, and we hope for improvements where that is lacking.

Calibos

The console version is objectively flawed currently. No debate. Hundreds of thousands of gamers have expressed displeasure with the broken state of game on console.

Please don’t be a fanboy

Sure. Objectively flawed is a good way to put it because it's in game preview...so objectively, it isn't a final product.

Broken is very subjective however. That comes down to more of what is an acceptable level of performance for me, you or whoever to play and enjoy the game.

Hundreds of thousands of people have expressed there displeasure...this is very true. I am one of them. I am not happy with where the game is at and want them to update and optimize regularly.

The game is performing way better on the X too, which is a shame since the install base is larger for the OG and S. Hopefully they can get the older systems to an acceptable framerate and eliminate the popping and loading issues and cut the input lag down over the next few weeks.

We went from 0.5.24 to 0.5.29 after a week...So I understand that it's going to be a while before we get the final product, but instead of trashing the game constantly as broken I am just choosing to play whats there and enjoy it. Don't think I am a fanboy for any of the above...just a less jaded more optimistic gamer.

For as much as the game is fun (on PC), this is still far from a finished product, and should not get anywhere near a 9. Performance is still terrible, and theres still a ton of bugs and issues.

I think people need to remember that acceptable performance is not an objective measurement, and is in fact highly varied among gamers and platforms. It is entirely reasonable to question a games performance regardless of how much fun it is to play. I have had huge amounts of fun with games that perform poorly or are actually broken but that doesn't invalidate those complaints.

There are those who will consider any level of performance acceptable if they can play a game and enjoy themselves, just like there are those who will not play a game at all unless it meets certain levels of quality. Being early access does allow more leeway for these things on the basis that they are unfinished and will be corrected, but again, this doesn't invalidate complaints regarding its current performance, nor does it suggest it should not be commented on because it is incomplete. Even if a game is free it is reasonable to comment on how it performs. Any game - full release or otherwise - has the potential to be altered and fixed where problems lay, but we do not hold off reviews on the basis they may be fixed in the future. We comment on its current quality, and we hope for improvements where that is lacking.

It is ABSOLUTELY an objective measurement

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
It is ABSOLUTELY an objective measurement

We all have a different version of what acceptable is. There are many people who find 30fps games unacceptable as there are those who play games in the 20's without complaint. No individual is the arbiter of another persons tolerance to poor performance.

Is there poor performance here by normal standards? I would say that is certainly so. Is that acceptable to a player? That is for them to decide, not you or I. I would think this distinction is clear.

mad597

Banned
For as much as the game is fun (on PC), this is still far from a finished product, and should not get anywhere near a 9. Performance is still terrible, and theres still a ton of bugs and issues.

It shouldn't be reviewed at all, clickbait BS to review a game still in preview and early access.

Such a sham to pick this one game out of the preview program to review.

mad597

Banned
Are they selling a beta for money?

Dozens of games on the xbox are in the preivew program along with hundreds of games in early access on pc and they charge money and many are in worse shape and more incomplete than PUBG. Why did IGN choose this one game to review?

Do they not understand the concept of early access and game preview? Its been around for years.

mad597

Banned
Sorry but that's just spin. This is literally the very definition of what a beta is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_testing

You get every update and the complete version at a reduced price compared to the final release.

Come on people early access and game preview are not a new thing do we really have to pretend you people dont know what this is?

Why do people always act so stupid when it comes to Xbox related stuff.

Gee whats this game preview program thats been around for years, better bash it cause Xbox got the most popular game of the year on it.

mad597

Banned
This game should be a free Beta if you want to use the excuse it's a Beta.

FREE betas dont include the final version of the game like this will.

You are getting a discount on the final game when it comes out and in the meantime you can play the game as it is developed.

Its a discounted pre order with the option to play the current build now.

Reviewing this is pretty stupid and simple click bait.

We all have a different version of what acceptable is. There are many people who find 30fps games unacceptable as there are those who play games in the 20's without complaint. No individual is the arbiter of another persons tolerance to poor performance.

Is there poor performance here by normal standards? I would say that is certainly so. Is that acceptable to a player? That is for them to decide, not you or I. I would think this distinction is clear.

You are wrong. Plain and simple.

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
You are wrong. Plain and simple.

Do you have a counter argument to my point? By all means tell me I am wrong, but without why you think this your post is vapid at best. The point I made is, for most, common sense. If you believe you can determine and set a standard of acceptable performance for other people, then it requires an explanation on your part. Tell me why JareBear gets to decide what is acceptable performance for everyone else.

JaxBriggs

You get every update and the complete version at a reduced price compared to the final release.

Hey that's awesome. Doesn't change the fact though that this is a beta (Game Preview, Early Access, whatever you want to call it) being sold for money, which was the point of discussion between myself and that other poster.

Grinchy

Banned
I tried it again and it is even worse after the patch. It was already unplayable but now they’ve added rubberbanding lag to make it an even more horrible experience.

I honestly do not understand how people are having fun with this. These aren’t flaws I can personally overlook. Hopefully they iron this shit out soon.

IISANDERII

I tried it again and it is even worse after the patch. It was already unplayable but now they’ve added rubberbanding lag to make it an even more horrible experience.

I honestly do not understand how people are having fun with this. These aren’t flaws I can personally overlook. Hopefully they iron this shit out soon.
Iron out? Sounds more like they need a group of steamrollers 😼

Night.Ninja

Banned

I'm only getting rubber banding at the start after the drop for around 30 seconds then it evens it self out, same on the pc version 🤷

Top Bottom