• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thimbleweed Park - a Ron Gilbert game |OT| Thirty-scumm years of adventures

Don't forget the killer reason as well: all the great dialogue and easter eggs that can result from using verbs in very unfitting situations. :)

Yes, there's some fun stuff when the dev thinks through what the player may try. "Pick up Kate" in Monkey Island 2 to hear Guybrush's lame lines and Kate's cutting rejections springs instantly to mind.

Justinh

I feel like I've been waiting for this for like... forever. Wish I contributed to the kickstarter.
source : https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/final_dev_post

So I'm not sure if the 10 store release has been brought forward or not.

Under the "Review Copies" section said:
The first bug we got from a reviewer completely stumped me. It made no sense. I poured over the code for a few hours and couldn't see how it would happen. Friends arrived for board game night and I took a break. About an hour into board games, it hit me and I knew what the issue was. Bug solved.

This might be a little weird, but I love that he said this. It reminds me of when I'd get stuck in a Monkey Island game to where I'd have to take a break. Eventually, I'd get a >ding!< while doing something else and that'd be the solution.

38 minutes to go!

I'm just hoping Pledgemanager updates with the key quite literally at 5pm.

Shit, how did I miss that David Fox also worked on this?!

tenor.gif

eXistor

Holding out for a physical copy, but the game looks damn good.

I'm in. I feel pretty bad about skipping this Kickstarter considering it turned out a lot closer to what I wanted than Broken Age.
Exactly, it's what I imagined Broken Age would be.

-GOG version is up
-Pledgemanager has steam keys for KS backers now
-If you backed on KS and chose a GOG key (and remembered to tell them when they asked), it should have been emailed to you now (mine just was).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Toilet paper over? Check.

Bought it on steam, i rarely buy any game at msrp but I gotta give it up for Ron Gilbert, his amazing games and Ultima were the two things that really got me into gaming as a kid.

No problems buying and playing on PC, it was a 841 meg download.

"full screen" mode runs actually borderless windowed (which I prefer) but seems to be vsync locked or something, running at 60 fps but g-sync is on (running on a 1080)

Granjinha

It's one of the best adventure games in recent time. The puzzles are great, the cast is really really good and the game's plot makes the player curious.

I didn't like the ending tho. At all. Still, an easy recommendation.

Zemm

It's one of the best adventure games in recent time. The puzzles are great, the cast is really really good and the game's plot makes the player curious.

I didn't like the ending tho. At all. Still, an easy recommendation.

Agree with this but not on the ending. I thought the ending was brilliant, genuinely one of the better ones I've seen in a long time.

Wiseblood

Hope this is good. I love the Monkey Island games but have been severely disappointed in Gilbert's post MI output so far.

Granjinha

Agree with this but not on the ending. I thought the ending was brilliant, genuinely one of the better ones I've seen in a long time.

eh, i thought it was quite boring :p

I did enjoy the ~individual closures, but ending itself didn't really gel with me

Zweisy1

Just installing the game on Steam. Can't wait to play. All these positive reviews are making me feel even more giddy..

Been loving Zelda and really looking forward to Persona 5 BUT this just might be the game I've most looked forward to this year.. Monkey Island 2 is possibly my favourite game of all time so it's great to see Ron return to the p&c adventure genre.

Gadgets 360: 8/10

Overall though, the ex-LucasArts game veterans have created an appealing, and effective love letter to the movement they started back in the day. If you loved growing up with those titles, your decision has most likely already been made. For everyone else, Thimbleweed Park’s darkly humorous and self-referential approach, in combination with its oddball bunch of characters – everyone will have a different favourite – makes it an adventure well-worth pointing your cursor at.

Schaulustiger

Neo Member
Polygon: 8/10

While Thimbleweed Park might be alienating to a newcomer to adventure games, that's by design. It's a game that exists somewhere between 1987 and 2017, and for someone with a love of the genre, it feels like coming home.

Reviews look good, installing right now. RPS seemed to be the most negative of the bunch, but I think I can stomach most of what they didn't like.

Ogni-XR21

Killing some time until my download is done. Backed this the minute I read about it. Looking forward to the uncensored version which should have been included from the getgo imo.

duder92

Neo Member
Not sure how this fell off my radar. Sucks that it is 3 months until PS4 release. Almost tempted to attempt to grab it on my work laptop, but not sure how well it would run.

Somnia

Out on Xbox I assume already, seen a lot of xbox tweets about it (though Phil also tweeted about it being on steam fyi).

Zemm

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356586.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Thimbleweed Park -- MB-A85641B9E66E4155 - Taken by Zeeman. 25 entrants total.

t1490905293z1.png

^^

Sloane

Banned
About two hours in, very good so far. Not quite a fan of the huge amount of references and the relatively constant fourth wall breaking but other than that everything clicks so far. Feels classic in the way it wants to, yet modern in the way it has to. Need to take a break, wish I could keep playing!

Flintty

This looks right up my street, gonna have to pick it up for Xbox, maybe in a week (going away on business next week so no point getting it yet, where's ma Seitch version dammit!)

Palehorse

I'm all over this for sure. Monkey Island games were my favourites.

I also just got to play Day of the Tentacle for the first time ever after the Remaster and it was as great as I'd been lead to believe.

Top Bottom