• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thimbleweed Park - a Ron Gilbert game |OT| Thirty-scumm years of adventures

thimbleweed38wzea.png

t0e9skx.png

Welcome to Thimbleweed Park. Population: 80 nutcases.

A haunted hotel, an abandoned circus, a burnt-out pillow factory, a dead body pixelating under the bridge, toilets that run on vacuum tubes... you've never visited a place like this before.

Five people with nothing in common have been drawn to this rundown, forgotten town. They don't know it yet, but they are all deeply connected. And they're being watched.

In a town like Thimbleweed Park, a dead body is the least of your problems.

Ron Gilbert returns thirty years after Maniac Mansion, with his first true point & click game in twenty years. There are also 3 other Lucasfilm alumni in the team - Gary Winnick, who co-created Maniac Mansion with Ron, David Fox, who created Zak Mckracken, and Mark Ferrari, who did the fantastic background art for games like Monkey Island and Loom. This project apparently came about when Ron & Gary were talking about what made the old lucas p&c's so charming. They couldn't come up with a firm reason so decided to make an old style p&c and work it out for themselves (hence pixel art, verb interface, etc).

This was funded via Kickstarter, and you can see how the game evolved from the pitch to the finished product:

twp_changesaaxl.png

I should point out that just because they went with a scumm style interface doesn't mean there's been no evolution since the DOTT UI. As above, you can now see "between" the verbs. Obviously this is still dead-space, but it makes it feel less claustrophobic imo. The verb parser has also been moved from above the verbs to on-mouse, giving even more screen-estate to the actual game (bottom is cut off as I suck at making gifs):

tgifkzxfh.gif

Of course, you can turn this off if you want:

t11xqxyw.png

And I believe you can go total old school and lose the space between verbs as well.

Game trailer (Possibly NSFW, though it's just [lots of] beeped out swearing)

If you're interested in seeing how the game evolved, I would HIGHLY recommend visiting the dev blog, which has a wealth of information about how they got here, including design decisions, coding examples and over sixty podcasts.

t8c8l19.png

- Five playable (and switchable) characters:

thimbleweedpark-charah0lvg.png

From left to right, Ransome, Franklin, Agent Ray, Agent Reyes and Delores.

- Set in 1987 with some playful pokes at things like Twin Peaks, True Detective and The X-Files
- Has "Casual" and "Hard" mode. If you enjoy P&C games choose "hard" as casual is really meant for newcomers to the genre

Works on:
* Windows (7, 8, 10),
* Mac OS X (10.9.0+)
* Linux (Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04)
* Xbox One (Had launch console exclusivity that lasted three months, this is now over)
* PS4
* Switch
* iOS
* Android - in final testing right now (21/9/2017), should be out soon

Languages:
* Audio and text: English
* Text only: Deutsch, Español, Français, Italiano (I believe post-release Ron will have a system for crowd-sourced languages)

t1obsxe.png

t2yxsd3.png

t3h5sgk.png

ti31ysqk.png

t6zab1v.png

tix10xael.png
tix2eepcx.png
ti4btses.png
rQvJmEX.png
KGqZd5m.png

t72lx2j.png

Metro Gamecentral - 8/10
Gamespot - 7/10
Game Informer - 8.5/10
Independent - 5/5
Rock Paper Shotgun - Positive
PC Gamer - 84%
Destructoid - 9/10
USgamer - 4/5
Kotaku - Positive
PC World - 4.5/5
IGN - 8.5/10
IGN Spain - 8.2/10
Zam - Yes
Gamestar - 82%
Gadgets 360 - 8/10
Hu3br - 4.5/5
Polygon - 8/10
Cubed3 - 6/10
Pocket Gamer - 9/10
Touch Arcade - 5/5
Nintendo Life - 8/10

epmode

I'm in. I feel pretty bad about skipping this Kickstarter considering it turned out a lot closer to what I wanted than Broken Age.

Nice thread, BTW.

I actually don't mind too much about having to wait 3 months for the PS4 version too drop. I have way too much stuff to play.

Corpekata

Banned
After some of the middling reception to Rain World and Snake Pass, I held off buying those. Didn't think I'd get this at launch but might now, as long as reviews/ word of mouth aren't absolutely putrid. Figure even if I bounce off the puzzles the Gilbert style and humor ought to be enough to keep my interest.

This and Night In The Woods are both very much on my radar, but with Persona 5 imminent they'll have to wait til a quieter time in 2017... should such a phenomenon occur!

PSFan

This isn't on Steam? Guess I'll go with GOG then, hate the Windows store. I just can't play a Ron Gilbert point and click game on console, lol.

This isn't on Steam? Guess I'll go with GOG then, hate the Windows store. I just can't play a Ron Gilbert point and click game on console, lol.

It's on both lol. There's a big steam logo in the OT and if you click on it it'll take you to the steam page.

Sanjuro

Today is a good day.

Stupid question - I get a Steam key as a backer - will this be playable on Mac as well as Windows?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to as long as Steam hosts both on the day of launch. I can test your Steam key for you if you like? :)

deadfolk

Stupid question - I get a Steam key as a backer - will this be playable on Mac as well as Windows?

Yes, Steam keys are cross-platform when there are multiple platforms supported.

Looks like a great OT, but I'm not gonna read it! Going in as blind as possible. :p

This isn't Xbox/Win 10 Play Anywhere, is it?

If not, I'll buy on Steam as usual.

Q: Will the game be play anywhere on Windows 10 and Xbox?
A: Yes. If you bought the game on Xbox or via the Windows 10 Store. The Windows Store version will release a few weeks after Steam/Xbox.

source : https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/faq2

Although two days ago ron said:

We have to deal with five storefronts on launch: Steam, GOG, Xbox, Win10 store and the Mac App Store. And every store front has different size images they need. Steam has 5 or 6 images size for the main store, then there are all the Steam Achievement images and Steam Trading cards, badges, etc, etc.

source : https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/final_dev_post

So I'm not sure if the 10 store release has been brought forward or not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes, Steam keys are cross-platform when there are multiple platforms supported.

To be clear, SteamPlay is just a recommendation, not a requirement. That being said, the original Black Ops is the only exception to the rule as far as games are concerned (on the software side there's Individual Software's stuff). Amusingly, both versions of Black Ops are included in the Black Ops/CoD bundles, which makes the separation all the more strange.

Lucifon

I did not have any idea this was coming out today on console. So down for this on XB1, cross buy is amazing too. Is it cross saves so I could potentially play on my lunch at work then continue at home on the XB1?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Great Scott, I didn't know it was releasing today. I'm so in.
What a wonderful surprise!

Great OT by the way.

Sloane

Banned
Can't wait!

Saw some people saying a second playthrough (so, knowing the solution) took them 8-10 hours, which sounds pretty good.

Really excited to play this later in the year, let me just say that this year has been sublime when it comes to games as was 2016. Good times.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This looks incredible.

You can play this with a mouse right? You don't need the keyboard? I want to play this on my macbook air.

edit: Yes, my macbook has a keyboard, lol. I just don't like it because I've big hands and it's relaxing to play P&C adventures while lying on the couch

Yeah me too. There is lot of potential but I am not sure I am going to like that interface, nowadays.

Need reviews.

I've still yet to see a better interface for a P&C game imo. I mean I'm sure it's possible, but I've not seen it yet. Verb coins/dials aren't great, a lot of modern P&C games just use left click/right click for use/look, but that takes a lot out of puzzles, as there's a big difference between say, "using" a hammer on someone and "giving" someone a hammer, just like there's a difference between "Opening" a CD player and "Using" a CD player.

You can play this with a mouse right? You don't need the keyboard? I want to play this on my macbook air.

Should be fine, none of Ron's previous games have needed a keyboard, all the keyboard does is make things faster (assuming you can remember the verb shortcut keys :) )

Schaulustiger

Neo Member
I'm probably going to buy this without waiting for reviews. Everything I've seen points to a game that will be far more interesting to me than Broken Age has been.
The setting is great, it has all the great feedback complexity I loved in old LucasArts games (use X with Y, get funny line) and it doesn't take itself too serious.

And it releases in 2 1/2 hours. Man, can't wait to get home.

Glen Tennis

Neo Member
Really looks like an old Lucas Arts adventure game, so they nailed that aspect at least. Recently I've been playing adventure games on my phone, just before sleep. Oxenfree and Walking Dead S01 were experiences doing so. I'm hoping for a switch version but maybe the p&c nature of this fits iOS better.

Dario ff

Banned
I've still yet to see a better interface for a P&C game imo. I mean I'm sure it's possible, but I've not seen it yet. Verb coins/dials aren't great, a lot of modern P&C games just use left click/right click for use/look, but that takes a lot out of puzzles, as there's a big difference between say, "using" a hammer on someone and "giving" someone a hammer, just like there's a difference between "Opening" a CD player and "Using" a CD player.
Don't forget the killer reason as well: all the great dialogue and easter eggs that can result from using verbs in very unfitting situations. :)

Top Bottom