• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MINDHUNTER |OT| Netflix Original Series - Oct 13

lol, just the other week I saw Manhunt appear on Netflix thinking this was the Fincher project I was hearing about. But I wasn't disappointed...that show was good too :)

It seems David Fincher is already pretty heavily involved with Mindhunter Season 2. He did an interview this week in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and said he mapped out a 5 year plan for the series. Fincher also said Mindhunter S2 was supposed to start filming last Spring (before a single episode even aired), but he decided to delay production to 2018 because he wanted more time to work on the scripts.

Music to my ears eyes.

KodaRuss

Yes, but only after we get done worshiping Villeneuve first.

After seeing 2049 I dont think I will ever be done doing that.

Anyway, I was a little confused that this OT was so early but I really cant wait to get started with it. Perfect show for my wife and I to get into.

Fincher being way more involved in this than HoC is amazing news. Still in dire need of Fincher making a horror film after some of the scenes in Zodiac but this will do. Maybe he can model WWZ 2 into a horror movie.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait season 2 is already confirmed? neat.

duckroll

I want to take this moment to remind everyone what a bullet we dodged.

From 2015: http://deadline.com/2015/12/mindhun...d-fincher-charlize-theron-netflix-1201669181/
The Mindhunter TV series project had been in the works for awhile. Six years ago, it was set up at HBO with Fincher and Theron executive producing and Fox 21, which had optioned the book, as the studio. (Fox 21 is no longer involved.) Scott Buck, who served as executive producer/showrunner on the last four seasons of another series killer drama, Showtime's Dexter, was tapped to write the script. He is not expected to be involved in the Netflix incarnation of the project; Buck just landed another high-profile gig at Netflix as the showrunner on its Marvel's Iron Fist series.

Roflmao!

From 2015: http://deadline.com/2015/12/mindhun...d-fincher-charlize-theron-netflix-1201669181/

Roflmao!
That's practically the Pulp Fiction of dodged bullets. We got extremely lucky

A five year plan for a Mindhunter series seems kinda overly ambitious? I wonder what the hook is.
I believe this is set in 1979? Not sure how much of a time period the show covers, but the people that the show is based on were active into the 80s, including cases like Dahmer and the West Memphis Three case. The latter might be interesting if they cover it from a critical perspective, with the confidence in these newly-formed field resulting in bad decisions

awcarew

Here are a few snippets I found from interviews with the cast/crew that offer a bit of insight on David Fincher's longer term plans for the show.

From the Rutten and Ranallo Podcast with Holt McCallany, Jan 9, 2017
"The show will be...  it's a period piece.  We're set in 1978 and it will span 20 years, you know, over the course of several seasons.  And we're going to investigate all of the famous serial killers in the United States including Charles Manson."

From The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Oct 8, 2017
"We outlined five seasons for Netflix", Mr. Fincher said.  "We know the scene it ends on, where the target is."  But he acknowledges making a high quality TV drama is an imperfect science.  Elements producers originally planned for season two were cannibalized by season one.  Production on season two was supposed to begin earlier this year, but Mr. Fincher said a first crack at scripts for a second season did not go as well as planned.  Those scripts were discarded and new ones are being written with a goal of production recommencing in Pittsburgh next spring on a second season that's largely about the 1979-81 Atlanta Child Murders.

duckroll

Here are a few snippets I found from interviews with the cast/crew that offer a bit of insight on David Fincher's longer term plans for the show.

Wow Fincher seems REALLY invested in this one. Hope it pans out!

TheOddOne

- Variety: TV Review: Jonathan Groff in ‘Mindhunter’ on Netflix.
Free of the constraints of exposition, “Mindhunter” is able to enjoy how parodically self-important these FBI agents can be — and how silly their aversion to psychology is. And when these relatively normal humans are put face-to-face with monsters like Kemper, their shock and horror — combined with a genuine desire to understand — stands in for the viewing audience’s long-lived fascination with serial killers. There is a subtle, buried thread of “Mindhunter” that is curious about our collective fascination with these murderers, and when that surfaces, the show approaches brilliance. Even the opening chords of the Talking Heads’ “Psycho Killer” can’t disturb the mood.
- New York Times: Review: Netflix’s ‘Mindhunter’ Is More Chatter Than Splatter.
I say all this with what has become the usual caveat for a Netflix show. Streaming dramas nowadays take so long to establish their premises that I don’t know if the two episodes I’ve seen are representative or just setup. It’s possible “Mindhunter” may settle into a more predictable monster chase. Let’s hope not; the chase after ideas here is more interesting.
- Time: Netflix’s Mindhunter Is the Perfect Crime Drama for Our Times.
This tension, even more so than its subject matter, is what makes Mindhunter feel perfectly timed. Crime drama can, at its worst, revel in the grossest sort of spectatorship. Shows like CBS’s Criminal Minds, or ones that trade on the names of real-life murderers, can all too easily slip into gratuitousness for its own sake. (That program’s star, Mandy Patinkin, quit after two seasons over its content.) But at its best, the genre tries to understand the roots of crime by investigating some of humanity’s most vexing paradoxes. Mindhunter, curious and thoughtful, is an example of the latter.
- Indiewire: ‘Mindhunter’ Review: David Fincher’s Netflix Return Debates the Origins of Evil — And It’s Pretty Funny, Too.
“Mindhunter” wants to eradicate the concept of “other” using a figure everyone instinctually wants to distance themselves from: a murderer. This isn’t your typical good vs. evil, cops vs. robbers procedural. If anything, it’s trying to eliminate those conceptions. Sometimes it’s funny. Often it’s chilling. But however you take it, at least “Mindhunter” is working a fresh angle.
- THR: Review.
The first two episodes of Netflix's FBI profiler drama are a prime showcase for director David Fincher.
- Usa Today: Review: Netflix and David Fincher’s ‘Mindhunter’ is a beautiful but listless crime drama.
But Mindhunter, at least in the first two episodes made available for review, is also meandering. It’s not as tight and gripping as Fincher’s earlier Netflix series, House of Cards (at least in the early episodes that Fincher directed), and feels less like a cohesive TV series and more like an extended film. For some, that may be a bonus, but on Mindhunter the overall effect is a sense of listlessness, which is odd considering the urgency of its subject matter.
- Vice: 'Mindhunter' Is Classic, Serial Killer-Obsessed David Fincher.
My partner told me to turn up the brightness while watching Mindhunter, because Fincher stays true to his nickname: the prince of darkness. As with every Fincher production, the direction is immaculate and precise. The camera moves like it was calculated to land in the exact spot, down to the micro millimetre. The design of the series is minimalist without going over the top to remind you it's set in the 70s and the cinematography, by Erik Messerschmidt and Christopher Probst, evokes the sepia-toned work of Harris Savides in Zodiac. Fincher's trademark shadows stalk every frame.

If you have a Netflix subscription you are being spoiled with Mindhunter. Don't perceive this series as Fincher taking a step back from film to ride the popularity of streaming services. Mindhunter is like a companion to Zodiac, and based on first impressions it's essential viewing for Fincher fans and anyone fascinated by

duckroll

The design of the series is minimalist without going over the top to remind you it's set in the 70s and the cinematography, by Erik Messerschmidt and Christopher Probst, evokes the sepia-toned work of Harris Savides in Zodiac.

Mindhunter is like a companion to Zodiac, and based on first impressions it's essential viewing for Fincher fans

dgplokgpjajgtpoeak toeka [k[ yk[p y[paky [paky4wktp [,dph, [pk[peohaopjhyrpj ypoijw a

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
nice reviews, even if its just for the first 2 eps

Roflmao!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GOD

Wow.

Awesome that they're investing a lot in this. They must really believe in it. I'm always down for a Fincher joint.

ryseing

dgplokgpjajgtpoeak toeka [k[ yk[p y[paky [paky4wktp [,dph, [pk[peohaopjhyrpj ypoijw a

This makes me happy Netflix has been pushing Zodiac so hard on their front page as of late. I watched it for the first time a couple months back and was blown away.

Absolute masterpiece.

Violet_0

Banned

more reviews. MORE
tumblr_inline_owk7c1Cbyo1s0r3xp_540.gif

Qvoth

love zodiac, this should be great
is there an overarching story or this is like anthology of serial killers? never read the book

KonradLaw

It's funny. TV productions about real events, especially from more or less recent past, tended to be the worst trash just couple years ago. Now some of the best shows coming out are from that category.

cyba89

Impressions seem very positive. Can't wait to dive in today.

A while ago I felt a bit down about the quality of Netflix shows but they are on a roll recently with American Vandal and Mindhunter (and Stranger Things 2 coming soon).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Impressions seem very positive. Can't wait to dive in today.

A while ago I felt a bit down about the quality of Netflix shows but they are on a roll recently with American Vandal and Mindhunter (and Stranger Things 2 coming soon).

some hiccups in terms of quality but they've literally been coming out with at least one show i'll binge almost every month this year

shaneo632

If a TV show only has like a 6.8/10 average on Rotten Tomatoes (which is typically very generous for TV series), that probably means it's not all that great.

Gonna try out an episode later on.

If a TV show only has like a 6.8/10 average on Rotten Tomatoes (which is typically very generous for TV series), that probably means it's not all that great.

Gonna try out an episode later on.
It has a 75 on mc and critics only saw the first few episodes. Loads of amazing shows in the 70s.

aravuus

Oh shit, I didn't even realize it was Oct 13 already lol. Definitely checking out the first episode when I get home.

Finished up two episodes before bed and I love it so far. Mostly just set up but really fascinating stuff. Honestly as someone born not that long after this is set its crazy to me that the FBI was still so hell-bent on not changing with the times. I'd always figured they'd been on that serial killer psych band wagon for a while but I guess not

duckroll

My Lord. Thank you Netflix for funding a slow deliberate period series by Fincher about serial killers. Zodiac as fuck. Two episodes in and basically nothing has happened at all but I'm fucking sold.

Sloane

Banned
Two episodes in and basically nothing has happened
So it's a Netflix show. Eh.

Really interested in this because of Zodiac but I have yet to see a Netflix show that doesn't bore me to death -- except for the first season of House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, I guess.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
My Lord. Thank you Netflix for funding a slow deliberate period series by Fincher about serial killers. Zodiac as fuck. Two episodes in and basically nothing has happened at all but I'm fucking sold.

Damn, loved that movie. Will have to check this out now.

Slow doesn't mean it's boring or bad (only if can't watch this kind of stuff).

duckroll

Really interested in this because of Zodiac but I have yet to see a Netflix show that doesn't bore me to death -- except for the first season of House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, I guess.

I mean, it's not boring, it just takes its time.

Top Bottom