• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six Flags Over Texas takes down their six flags over Texas

Syriel

Six Flags: Great America in Illinois, to my knowledge, has always just flown six American Flags:

oE8MflL.jpg

Great America was its own park before Six Flags bought one of them.

There is another Great America, with the same layout as the one in IL, in NorCal, but it is not a Six Flags park.

Seriously.

Maybe you should read the OP before kneejerk posting.

Laieon

The Six Flags here in Houston has been gone for over ten years now

RIP Astroworld. Still mad we couldn't somehow keep the Cyclone in the city.

IM not a native Texan but have been here since I was 6. When I tell friends and family from other parts of the country that students in Texas are required to take a semester in junior high of Texas state history they are shocked. Dont know if it is still required now but it was when I went to school

A semester? I graduated HS in '09, we took a year of Texas history in middle school and another year in high school.

Only had a semester of economics and a semester of government though.

they should just replace it with this confederate flag

H7DVCDw.jpg

If that's the case, shouldn't they do the same for Mexico's?

Wolfe

There is another Great America, with the same layout as the one in IL, in NorCal, but it is not a Six Flags park.

Yeah that one is owned by Paramount (unless they sold it?). Growing up I always knew it as "Paramount's Great America", had no idea it wasn't the only one at the time.

Some of the rides are of course movie themed, such as the Top Gun coaster and (dunno if this next one is still there anymore at this point) a Days of Thunder "video" ride. Kinda funny that the only two themed rides I can recall atm are Tom Cruise movies.

But yeah going back to the OP, kinda dumb they ever used the confederacy as a legitimate government in regards to the flags imo.

Dishwalla

Banned
Yeah that one is owned by Paramount (unless they sold it?). Growing up I always knew it as "Paramount's Great America", had no idea it wasn't the only one at the time.

Some of the rides are of course movie themed, such as the Top Gun coaster and (dunno if this next one is still there anymore at this point) a Days of Thunder "video" ride. Kinda funny that the only two themed rides I can recall atm are Tom Cruise movies.

But yeah going back to the OP, kinda dumb they ever used the confederacy as a legitimate government in regards to the flags imo.

It's owned by Cedar Fair(who also owns Cedar Point, King's Island, King's Dominion, Carowinds, Knott's Berry Farm, etc). Used to live in San Jose and I mostly knew it as a Paramount park, but I do remember it as a Marriott park when I was a little kid. Paramount honestly kind of ruined it by removing lots of original rides and filling the park with the various media properties they owned(like Nickelodeon). Haven't been since Cedar Fair took over, but I'd hope they would've worked to make it a better park, their other parks I've been to(Kings Dominion, Carowinds) are great parks.

Timeaisis

Given the historical context, I am ok in this instance of all six flags flying. It's a clearly logical reason for the name of the park and the history of the state. It does make sense.

It is also not the inflammatory battle flag trash. I'd wager that most people who fly the battle flag couldn't identify the actual CSA flag.

I won't cry over the situation of them potentially coming down, but I don't think this particular situation is a good one to point to as glorification of what the CSA stood for. Like many statues built over the years.

Although I guess historical places in Germany do not fly the Nazi flag in any circumstance no matter the context. Which is fair.
Pretty much my thoughts.

Future

Given the historical context, I am ok in this instance of all six flags flying. It's a clearly logical reason for the name of the park and the history of the state. It does make sense.

It is also not the inflammatory battle flag trash. I'd wager that most people who fly the battle flag couldn't identify the actual CSA flag.

I won't cry over the situation of them potentially coming down, but I don't think this particular situation is a good one to point to as glorification of what the CSA stood for. Like many statues built over the years.

Although I guess historical places in Germany do not fly the Nazi flag in any circumstance no matter the context. Which is fair.

Hanging the flag usually implies pride. Having pride for confederate states is a horrible message. The nazi flag analogy is apt.... it's BECAUSE of history that you take it down.

What the fuck?

I understand some mom and pop stores/resturants displaying confederate flags. I had no idea that a major business like Six Flags would even think of doing so.

Lexad

What the fuck?

I understand some mom and pop stores/resturants displaying confederate flags. I had no idea that a major business like Six Flags would even think of doing so.

It wasn't venerating the flag (and it wasn't the battle flag). It was recognizing all 6 forms of govt that led Texas. If it was only the battle flag that is one thing but this was honestly a representation of the history of the state and the park. It wasn't flying it higher than the others.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

I said it every morning as a kid.

That doesn't even make sense.

woodchuck

It wasn't venerating the flag (and it wasn't the battle flag). It was recognizing all 6 forms of govt that led Texas. If it was only the battle flag that is one thing but this was honestly a representation of the history of the state and the park. It wasn't flying it higher than the others.

Yep, exactly. I don't see a problem. Flying the flag like that isn't glorifying the confederacy.

Maybe you should read the OP before kneejerk posting.

whoah mind blown. how do you know so much about theme parks. i must go to this great america in norcal.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Learned something new about "six flags" as many other people did

I get why they did it, probably time to replace it with another relevant flag though.

Xe4

Banned
This is one of those instances where in the long run, Six Flags can probably get away with flying a confederate flag since it's

A) Not using the flag that every racist windbag uses for obvious reasons

and

B) Acknowledges every single other time Texas has changed hands with an official governing body.
Yeah, my thoughts as well. I'm fine with the actual flag being flown for historical purposes, given it's not idolizing the confederacy. I'm not particularly torn about it being taken down, however.

Giga Man

I'm American, and I never knew the origin of the "Six Flags" name. I just thought it was an amusement park featuring Looney Tunes and a goofy dancing old man.

C4Lukins

I never noticed the confederate flag here in Six Flags Dallas. I guess I just never payed attention. Nothing wrong with the other four flags. But I guess as a business it is easier to remove them all then make it a thing by just removing one.

And you could totally make the point that each of those flags and countries were involved with some bad shit in those Wild West days.

At the very least this controversy will teach people a bit about Texas history. Not a lot of people know anything about Texas history outside of Mexico and the Confedercy.

slit

I thought my point was pretty clear. It's not glorifying Confederates to have that flag up with all the other flags.

The stigma your referring to is really related to the Confederate battle flag. As evidence by this very thread multiple people had to look up the flag to even know.

Take em down I don't really care one way of the other. I just don't think acknowledging that Texas has been a part of 6 different countries is all that terrible.

Doesn't seem that way to me. You seemed concerned a theme park is taking down a stupid flag. Some people don't want any version of the flag rubbed in their face when going to take their kids to ride roller coasters knowing what that "country" stood for. Especially now with a bunch of white supremacists running around feeling rejuvenated. They are there to have fun not to take a history class.

DrKelpo

Banned
The name "Six Flags" refers to the flags of the six different nations that have governed Texas: Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the United States, and the Confederate States of America.

Okay, I get the idea, but why do you even name your park like this? The whole concept doesn't make sense to me. Why bring former nations and politics into the process of naming your amusement park?

Slightly off topic: dated a girl in college who had a battle flag in her bedroom. At Wisconsin! When I disapproved she went with "that's not the confederate flag it's the battle flag, and the civil war was not about slavery and you are ignorant." The fact that I didn't know there was another flag besides the battle flag was supposed to be a big argument winner I think.

Didn't see that one coming, holy shit. That was over 20 years ago now but I was gobsmacked. She was "a rebel." Um, ok. It didn't work out.

Okay, I get the idea, but why do you even name your park like this? The whole concept doesn't make sense to me. Why bring former nations and politics into the process of naming your amusement park?

The founder clearly didn't take into account how sensitive to politics and history the nation would become many decades into the future.

Bahorel

I grew up with this original six flags park as my home park. Each part of the park represents the nation of the flag, so yes the park has a designated confederate section called "the old south" with pre civil war themed entertainment. Or well, it did. The last time I went was long ago but it was definitely there in the 90s.

1. Its Texas history which is a huge deal in Texas.

2. It is how Six Flags was originally themed before DC, Looney Tunes, etc came in.
Six Flags Georgia for example literally had themed sections of the park devoted to those. US, Confederate(more like the South of that time and not the actual confederacy), France, Spain, UK, Georgia.
Over the years its basically been made over into
Gotham City
Old timey Southern scattered around the park
1950's Americana
Old West

and most recently the section based on the classic American boardwalk type stuff(which was previously "cotton states" for whatever reason) was completely taken over by Metropolis.
Looking at some old maps apparently the confederate section hasn't been listed for years and I personally don't even recall what it is like in that section now and im there every summer..

NYHorn36

UT definitely had it along with the other 5 flags at the stadium when I was a kid, and when I went there.

Never thought of it as anything other as representing our state's history. No one ever complained about it either. I tend to lean that way with this Six Flags situation too, but times have changed. I can't remember if it was there the last time I went in 2014.

venue-section-14-view.jpg

3rd flag from left, and this pic is most likely from somewhere between '03-'05 since it's pre-Godzillatron, and looks to be after my undergrad there.

Seeing someone post the Texas pledge of allegiance brought back some memories. Although ours was, "Honor thy Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible." Never had the "under God" part. Our Texas History was a full year in 7th grade.

DrKelpo

Banned
1. Its Texas history which is a huge deal in Texas.

2. It is how Six Flags was originally themed before DC, Looney Tunes, etc came in.
Six Flags Georgia for example literally had themed sections of the park devoted to those. US, Confederate(more like the South of that time and not the actual confederacy), France, Spain, UK, Georgia.
Over the years its basically been made over into
Gotham City
Old timey Southern scattered around the park
1950's Americana
Old West

and most recently the section based on the classic American boardwalk type stuff(which was previously "cotton states" for whatever reason) was completely taken over by Metropolis.
Looking at some old maps apparently the confederate section hasn't been listed for years and I personally don't even recall what it is like in that section now and im there every summer..

thanks for the clarification.
still a weird concept to me, but then again I'm not from Texas..

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Probably the least concerning use of the flag, but I'll take it.

thanks for the clarification.
still a weird concept to me, but then again I'm not from Texas..

It kinda make sense if you consider what the competition was at the time, Disneyland was only about 5 years old at the time(Disneyworld still 10 years off.)
They obviously couldn't compete in Fantasy or Future themed so they did relevant historical sections.

Beyond that though I really don't know, at least in Georgia the themes have been slowly on the way out going back to at least the 90's.

Lexad

Because this park was created in the 1960s and was a very different time than now. I don't see how this is so hard to comprehend

Top Bottom