• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six Flags Over Texas takes down their six flags over Texas

Ottaro

As of Friday morning, the five flags other than the United States flag — representing France, Spain, Mexico, the Republic of Texas and the Confederacy — are being left to the history books.

The park received criticism following last weekend’s violence in Charlottesville, Va., from TMZ, Fox News and others for flying the Confederate states flag.

As a result, Six Flags decided to take all but the U.S. flag down as of Friday morning.

Source

(For those outside the US, Six Flags is an amusement park with rollercoasters, that sort of thing)

The name "Six Flags" refers to the flags of the six different nations that have governed Texas: Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the United States, and the Confederate States of America.

Leunam

I just heard one of my coworkers losing his damn mind over this at our office in Houston.

Probably still going to hear it all day. He's not the only conservative in the office, but he's definitely a fanatic.

He's still going.

Now they're making some kind of comparison to Animal Farm. 'Bunch of communists,' or something.

In an attempt to avoid looking bad for flying the Confederate flag, they remove the Spanish flag less than 24 hours after the country suffered a terror attack?
Their PR team are A grade.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I did not know about the loser flag. I always thought it was for the six colorful flags.

Does every Six Flags fly the Confederate flag? I've never been to one but fuck 'em if that's the case, but also good job for doing this now I guess?

I just heard one of my coworkers losing his damn mind over this at our office in Houston.

Probably still going to hear it all day. He's not the only conservative in the office, but he's definitely a fanatic.

He's still going.

Wiw he's crying over amusement park. Literally an adult cry baby.

I wasn't aware of the Confederate flag, but thinking about it makes sense, it's named after the different countries that owned Texas, that'd include them. I wonder if they'll change the name now.

slit

Five Flags over Texas? Why don't they just switch the Confederate flag with a Batman flag or something since Batman is all over the park.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Change the name and improve your parks while you're at it. Six Flags is trash tier here in the Mid Atlantic.

Lkr

I never realized the confederate flag was flying at six flags tbh. Why get rid of those other ones though?

Jeels

He's still going.

Now they're making some kind of comparison to Animal Farm. 'Bunch of communists,' or something.

In Houston myself. What exactly is he mad about? What purpose does a confederate flag serve at a theme park?

I didn't know they literally had actual flags up.

I just assumed they were colored pennants, like in the logo. I went to Six Flags New England once, but that was my only time.

Simmins

Seems silly when they could just take down the Confederate flag and put up the Canadian Flag, or the British Flag or any number of other flags in it's place. Guess they will just need to change the name to Flag Amusement Park

Six flags over georgia does, back in the day six flags over New Orleans did.

It goes back to which countries owned the property where the park lies.

Texas is doing the right thing, Georgia should be next...

Leunam

Wiw he's crying over amusement park. Literally an adult cry baby.

He was at least aware enough to admit they'd never get his business anyway right after saying that the only course of action is to never visit again.

The Six Flags here in Houston has been gone for over ten years now, the closest one is in San Antonio.

In Houston myself. What exactly is he mad about? What purpose does a confederate flag serve at a theme park?

It symbolizes the moral decline of this country or some shit.

I can't wait for all the hot takes about the BLM demonstration after this weekend.

Hazmat

Does every Six Flags fly the Confederate flag? I've never been to one but fuck 'em if that's the case, but also good job for doing this now I guess?

I don't recall ever seeing the Confederate flag at Fiesta Texas in San Antonio or the late Astroworld in Houston, which were all owned by Six Flags. That doesn't mean they weren't there, but I don't think they were (and I was at Fiesta Texas 3 months ago).

MJPIA

They rolled over quickly.
http://amp.tmz.com/2017/08/17/charl...aign=amp&utm_source=www.tmz.com-RelayMediaAMP
Six Flags Over Texas is standing firm on flying the Confederate States of America flag, despite the uproar post-Charlottesville.

Park officials tell TMZ, they see a fundamental distinction between the flag they fly and the Confederate Battle flag. They say the distinction is that white supremacists and neo-Nazis have adopted the Battle flag and not the banner the theme park waves.

True enough, racists generally embrace the Battle flag, but here's the thing ... both represent exactly the same principle. Both flags flew during the Civil War to represent the fight to preserve slavery.

So, is this a distinction without a difference? It seems so. But reps from Six Flags explain it this way ... park patrons "are astute enough to know the difference." Again, what's the difference? Both flags are an homage to slavery.

In any case ... the Six Flags rep says the flag will continue to fly high over the park.

jph139

It's "Six Flags" because those six flags represent the political bodies that Texas has been a part of. As far as I know, only the Texas location still flew them - the others across the country have always known better.

Really the Confederacy should never have been up there since it was an illegal rebellion that was never actually recognized as a country by anyone other than themselves. Probably a bit too late to change the name, though...

Man, of all the places to start dialing down the Confederate Memorabilia, Six Flags was pretty low on the list of places I imagined doing it. I would have expected more of a fight.

edit: Oh, nevermind.

Pastry

Banned
I believe Six Flags was flying the actual flag of the Confederate States and not the battle flag that you normally see. Not that it makes a difference, glad to see them take it down.

Kthulhu

Is there a reason they couldn't just replace it w/ say, Canada?

Texas was never controlled by Canada. Unless I slept through that part of state history.

He's still going.

I'm sure he's been a joy to be around this past week.

NimbusD

The six flags they have represent the six forms of government that governed Texas throughout its history, Confederacy being one of them.
Yeah, within context it makes sense. Except the whole conceit of a theme park being themed after Texas governance is weird in the first place

Also while not conducive to the theme of flags, seems weird to omit native Americans.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Magic Mountain in California certainly does not, unless I somehow always missed it.

Neither does the New Jersey location:

8JgSgvP.jpg

wiFBYJ0.jpg

Edit - Maybe it does? Not the battle one, but the actual one like Pastry pointed out. Anyway, looks like they changed it awhile back to just American flags.

did native american tribes in the area have flags or similar symbols

they could have replaced the confederacy flag with some native american symbol

assuming this wouldn't be seen as a disrespectful move by native americans

or, like, the united nations flag

e_i

Hot shit. I didn't know the Six Flags in Six Flags represents all those (including the Confederacy).

adj_noun

As punishment for flying the Confederate flag I hereby strip you of the DC license, to be awarded to someone who can do something cool with it.

Switch the confederate flag for a rainbow one. Don't have to change the name and watching people lose their minds will be hilarious.

Failing that, swap it for a white one and they can still commemorate their Texan history.

DopeToast

Banned
I didn't realize that's why the name was Six Flags. That's actually kind of cool. They should put the other four back up, and maybe another one to signify something other than the confederacy.

L Thammy

So clearly, the reasonable course of action is to get Texas to hand itself over to Canada so that they can switch the sixth flag with the Canadian flag.

...Seriously, though, why are they removing the Mexican flag and such? I'm guessing it's the only way that they could avoid alienating potential far right customers while taking down the Confederate flag.

Leunam

I'm sure he's been a joy to be around this past week.

He generally is as long as politics doesn't come up. But the slightest thing provokes him. We were talking about Dr. Oz being a bit of a quack and then he just comes out of nowhere and says he doesn't trust him because he's Muslim.

And then they wonder why I wear headphones in my cubicle all the time.

p2535748

I was at Six Flags New England recently, and they had the six New England flags up. Never even considered what the name meant, honestly.

Top Bottom