• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto teases "new franchise" for 2014

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
at this point, Nintendo shouldn't tease at all, they should just announce stuff for real

He replies to a direct question, ancitipating that they could possibly reveal it next year after the release of their major franchise on the Wii U.
what's wrong with that?
as if Nintendo didn't announce game usually...there are already about 20 Nintendo games announced for the console.

Land
Mario U (+ Luigi)
Sing
Pikmin
W101
Wario
Zelda HD
DKCTF
Party U
Fit U
MarioWorld
Mario Kart
Fire Emblem x SMT
Yoshi
Project X

plus some publishing/developing deal as Bayonetta2 and Lego City Undercover (without counting Zelda U of course that's just a "vague name")

I hope new franchise means new IP and I hope it's something with real substance and depth.

Yeah. I can't help but feel that as good as Nintendo's games are, far too many of them cater only to a casual gamer's habits and are only designed to be played for ten minutes every now and then. It might go against Nintendo's current philosophy, but I would like something from them I can really sink my teeth (and some time) into. Of course, I'm sure people will point to the Zeldas, the Marios, the Pikmins, and while they're the types of games I want from Nintendo, those franchises in particular have become pretty rote and predictable. Even Pikmin 3 looks about as evolutionary as an Assassin's Creed sequel.

Oersted

Yeah. I can't help but feel that as good as Nintendo's games are, far too many of them cater only to a casual gamer's habits and are only designed to be played for ten minutes every now and then. It might go against Nintendo's current philosophy, but I would like something from them I can really sink my teeth (and some time) into..

Get Animal Crossing. It might cost your whole life-time, but hey.

Yeah. I can't help but feel that as good as Nintendo's games are, far too many of them cater only to a casual gamer's habits and are only designed to be played for ten minutes every now and then. It might go against Nintendo's current philosophy, but I would like something from them I can really sink my teeth (and some time) into. Of course, I'm sure people will point to the Zeldas, the Marios, the Pikmins, and while they're the types of games I want from Nintendo, those franchises in particular have become pretty rote and predictable. Even Pikmin 3 looks about as evolutionary as an Assassin's Creed sequel.

May I point you to Xenoblade?

AzaK

That's good news, hopefully not too late in 2014. Also not too casual (animal crossing/ nintendo dogs and cats).

Otherwise why tell us, right? They know the audience that listens to these sorts of announcements surely.

F-Zero meets Starfox.

You really think that Nintendo would do anything these days that isn't casual? It will be a new Franchise but it will squarely be aimed at the widest audience possible.

at this point, Nintendo shouldn't tease at all, they should just announce stuff for real

Yup, but they still think they are in the game and people are loving them and think they can do no wrong.

Nintendo needs to understand that they are in no position to tease.
They should be offering up the goods every chance they get.

Agreed, but they can't even manage to get a good selection of VC games, so the chances of them being able to deliver other stuff regularly is next to impossible. They are a complete mess at the moment and we can only hope that everything settles and they start releasing good games regularly (And by that I mean also third party stuff).

If it's helmed by Miyamoto, that actually makes me a bit worried.

I'm not too confident in his decision making skills right now.

MarkusRJR

After his last few new casual franchises I'm kind of super negative regarding this new one. The first possibility would be something relating to the NFC capabilities (at which point I lose interest completely). So far zero games have used it or even acknowledged it's existence, so there must have been something pretty big being internally developed to change their mind when developing the Game Pad and cause them to toss on another sensor that'd jack up the price further.

Brera

Banned
Probably some bullshit crossing tingle with animal crossing.

Hopefully its new IP with nothing to do with Miyamoto.

Brera

Banned
Exactly.

I'm not expecting much from this bullshit.

I'd rather we have the old Nintendo back, unveil the games and just make us wait 3 years with a drip feed of info.

AniHawk

Really hope this is a genuinely new IP and they push it.

How many years since Nintendo released a new IP?
well wonderful 101 is out soon. i think dillon's rolling western was last year, and pushmo was 2011. of course, xenoblade was a 2010 game. but since those don't count because of reasons, i'll say 17 years.

god damn 17 years without a new ip. the fuck has nintendo been doing.

AzaK

well wonderful 101 is out soon. i think dillon's rolling western was last year, and pushmo was 2011. of course, xenoblade was a 2010 game. but since those don't count because of reasons, i'll say 17 years.

god damn 17 years without a new ip. the fuck has nintendo been doing.

Struggling to get their head out of their own arse. Unfortnately they love it being there so people should not expect much from any teased new franchise from Nintendo. I can't remember the last time they delivered on anything I hoped for. Maybe I'd almost give them Zelda at Wii launch, but even that was a GC port. The rest of the time has been let down after amateurish let down.

In my eyes they have become little more than a joke.

Darryl

Banned
Miyamoto's most recently released title was March's Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon for the 3DS

Miyamoto worked on Dark Moon?

if i remember from the interviews correct he just did a conference call every so often to check in and give pointers. i think they just slapped his name on the game to help it sell.

AniHawk

Struggling to get their head out of their own arse. Unfortnately they love it being there so people should not expect much from any teased new franchise from Nintendo. I can't remember the last time they delivered on anything I hoped for. Maybe I'd almost give them Zelda at Wii launch, but even that was a GC port. The rest of the time has been let down after amateurish let down.

In my eyes they have become little more than a joke.

yeah see i was joking. nintendo's been good on the new ips. they just don't market them, or people tend not to count them whenever they get made.

the wii years were some of their best output as far as i'm concerned. this year they're releasing a ton of software. the only times i felt they were really struggling to do anything interesting was between majora's mask and pikmin 2 on the gamecube, and their handhelds from 2001-2011 (intsys aside).

AzaK

yeah see i was joking. nintendo's been good on the new ips. they just don't market them, or people tend not to count them whenever they get made.

the wii years were some of their best output as far as i'm concerned. this year they're releasing a ton of software. the only times i felt they were really struggling to do anything interesting was between majora's mask and pikmin 2 on the gamecube, and their handhelds from 2001-2011 (intsys aside).
I did wonder if you were for an instant. Thing is I don't see the new IP's. They are of zero interest to me other than Xenonblade. Dillon's rolling western, Pushmo, Wii Music etc are all trash and not what I want to see. I want bigger games with new worlds and characters.

This year the only thing interesting me is Pikmin and I'm still on the fence as to whether boycott it.

XenodudeX

I did wonder if you were for an instant. Thing is I don't see the new IP's. They are of zero interest to me other than Xenonblade. Dillon's rolling western, Pushmo, Wii Music etc are all trash and not what I want to see. I want bigger games with new worlds and characters.

This year the only thing interesting me is Pikmin and I'm still on the fence as to whether boycott it.

Just because you have no interest doesn't mean they don't make new IP's. They make new Ip's all the time. This is a fact.

Just because you have no interest doesn't mean they don't make new IP's. They make new Ip's all the time. This is a fact.
Hell they do it at a time in the generation when other developers are iterating sequels out the ass.

Nintendo has to be the most consistent large publisher at rolling out new IP's. They just never get the marketing or "push" of their proven sellers.

AzaK

Hell they do it at a time in the generation when other developers are iterating sequels out the ass.

Nintendo has to be the most consistent large publisher at rolling out new IP's. They just never get the marketing or "push" of their proven sellers.

Nor do they generally make ones I want to play. They need their next Zelda, or Mario scale franchise.

Ntsouls

Banned
Nintendo should have waited 2 years and launched their machine with a ton of games and a lot more power in their console.

Could have just released a WiiHD (Wii with an HDMI out jack) a year or 2 before it.

Roo

I really hope it is a new IP
I think it's time to add a new mascot to the Nintendo brand in the same vein of Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Metroid, Pikmin etc.

Wasn't Pikmin the last mascot they added? Man, that was long time ago.

I think it's time to add a new mascot to the Nintendo brand in the same vein of Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Metroid, Pikmin etc.

The Miis are always glossed over, but they're a pretty important part of Nintendo's chronology, even if they're user-created and represent a direction that doesn't interest most GAFfers.

Javier

Haven't played Dillon, but Pushmo is not trash by any stretch of the imagination.

Hiltz

Yeah, it does seem like Pikmin was the last big hardcore-based orignial IP Nintendo's in-house Japanese teams have made.

I hope it's something with depth and arcade sensibilities. Like Mario Kart, Smash or even Halo.
Great local multiplayer and online is a must. Make a real system seller instead of a quirky personal project that will some day have a vocal cult following.

I hope it's something with depth and arcade sensibilities. Like Mario Kart, Smash or even Halo.
Great local multiplayer and online is a must. Make a real system seller instead of a quirky personal project that will some day have a vocal cult following.

Not a new IP, but the Donkey Kong game in Nintendoland (I played the tour demo) is masterful and is like TRUE old school arcade fun, could easily be an original IP if they wanted. Game Grumps had a field day with it. lol

I personally hope the new IP is more in line with Pikmin and Animal Crossing and NOT Wii Sports or Wii-whatever. We need a new world created by Miyamoto with REAL characters, doesn't need to be uber in-depth in story (wouldn't call Pikmin or Animal Crossing this), but really fun and has proper characters.

AzaK

Haven't played Dillon, but Pushmo is not trash by any stretch of the imagination.

Horses for courses. I own both Dillon and Pushmo. I played pushmo for about an hour before I felt ripped off. Dillon's lasted a couple.

If Nintendo charged 1/2 the price it might seem like less of a rip off because both of those were pretty average games but I think they tend to overcharge for their digital stuff.

AniHawk

you can't pick and fucking choose what is a new ip and what isn't by what interests you or what doesn't. either it's a new ip or it isn't.

i just bought pushmo the other day after a long time of basically ignoring it, and it reminds me a lot of donkey kong 94 in that it's a simple puzzle platformer with some great level design. it's not a big game, but it gives you a lot to wrestle with, and beating a level is immensely satisfying.

i can't speak to other stuff like harmoknight or dillon's rolling western, but ignoring them makes about as much sense as ignoring echochrome or journey from sony, or discounting stuff like hotline miami, bastion, and braid as video games. there's really no reason for it.

Absinthian

Neo Member
Please be excited. Wii U: The Video Game will feature multiple Wii U game consoles kart racing and platforming to the nearest Game store to be traded in for a PS4.

If i didn't count new ips because i thought they were trash i would think barely any company made new IPs. I want to Nintendo's next Pikmin level franchise. The sad part about Smash Bros is that Nintendo barely has any recognizable characters to add from a new series. And once The Wonderful 101 flops we'll probably never see another game from that IP. Hell Nintendo doesn't even need new ips. They have so many old ones that are wasted that many companies would love a shot at.
Please be excited. Wii U: The Video Game will feature multiple Wii U game consoles kart racing and platforming to the nearest Game store to be traded in for a PS4.

I hope you didn't think this was even remotely clever.

eXistor

As I already said: I'm not getting my hopes up, but if we're daydreaming here, I might as well contribute. The Mother series is done, Itoi said he didn't want to do another one and that's fine; he's the only one that could do it justice anyway, and we've got 2 absolutely amazing games out of the series already (Mother 1 was good, but no classic). So why not make a spiritual kind of successor?

Honestly, what I'm simply talking about is a colorful adventure game in a contemporary setting. Some of my favorite settings for movies or games has been small-town America type places, like Cul-de-sacs, white picket fences and the like. The original Twilight Zone series did this well for so many episodes and it's very rare for games to really do this. I think Nintendo could make this work.

Okay I got my hopes up.

Top Bottom