• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto teases "new franchise" for 2014

So....they were trying to get the Marios out of the gate early, and then focus on other and brand new franchises?
That's not a bad plan. I guess in retrospect it made sense, but they've still got a lot of catching up to do with the Wii U. If the 3DS can turn around, I'm trusting they can turn Wii U around too.

So....they were trying to get the Marios out of the gate early, and then focus on other and brand new franchises?
That's not a bad plan. I guess in retrospect it made sense, but they've still got a lot of catching up to do with the Wii U. If the 3DS can turn around, I'm trusting they can turn Wii U around too.

Honestly, as a loyal Nintendo fan I'm (in a way) glad that they're struggling at the start. It'll help light a fire under their asses, because if they had been a sucess with Wii U as it was they wouldn't have a major reason to compete.

I bought my Wii U at launch, and I'm extremely happy with it.. but MAN it could use a few more exclsuive game annoucements. Hopefully this is just the slap to the face that Nintendo requires.

Change "Good Wii U games" to "Miyamoto's new franchise"

miyamoto.gif

Holy sh** I'm dying !

Shame ain't severe enough yet. If the wiiu has a weak holiday and they get schooled by the other 2 systems, it might be.

I'll believe the shame got to them if we see games that are made with a sales-first mindset instead of a just-messing-around one. Realistic zelda instead of stylized, 2d mario game with original worlds instead of misguided attempt to convince 2d gamers to try out 3d. Metroid that doesn't revolve around plot. Etc.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
"This doesn't count because it won't sell well!" or something. Why do people ignore Wonderful 101? It's nothing like Pikmin too.

There are still people shrugging and saying they'll just play W101 when it's inevitably ported to PS4.

Maybe Nintendo should have included a W101 character in Smash Bros 4 along with a W101 stage and showed this off at E3 just to drive the point home it's a new Nintendo owned IP.

Of course, personally I think there's a good chance W101 will end up getting repped in Smash 4. Its characters are a natural fit and they'd want to promote it.

Whole line up into place Miyamoto??

Where the hell is my Metroid, F-Zero and StarFox?

He was talking about franchises that actually sell.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wii.html

See?
(Games with Wii U sequels bolded)

Wii Sports (81.99)
Mario Kart Wii (34.26)
Wii Sports Resort (31.89)
Wii Play (28.02)
NSMB Wii (27.88)
Wii Fit (22.67)

Wii Fit Plus (20.86)

Super Mario Galaxy (11.72)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (11.49)

Plus:
Donkey Kong Country Returns (~5)
Wii Party (~8)

This line up is not a coincidence.

Gleethor

Shame ain't severe enough yet. If the wiiu has a weak holiday and they get schooled by the other 2 systems, it might be.

I'll believe the shame got to them if we see games that are made with a sales-first mindset instead of a just-messing-around one. Realistic zelda instead of stylized, 2d mario game with original worlds instead of misguided attempt to convince 2d gamers to try out 3d. Metroid that doesn't revolve around plot. Etc.

Making a metroid game period is not being in a sales-first mindset.

royalan

Frankly, I think leading with the brand new franchises would have helped set a much better tone for the Wii U going forward and attracted a potentially bigger audience. Their likely success would have also sent a clear signal to devs that something other than legacy Nintendo franchises could sell on the Wii U. This was their exact strategy with the Wii.

Waiting until after the flurry of Mario games to release actual new experiences for the console might be too late to change the perception that the Wii U is a Mario box.

But we'll see.

Jawmuncher

After the Donkey Kong Freeze fiasco I'm taking this with a MOUNTAIN of salt.
Like some earlier posts I'm already expecting dissapointment.

(I'm talking in terms of Nintendo hype)

Top Bottom