• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto teases "new franchise" for 2014

The man also made Pikmin. Best RTS ever made.

26439__mega-man-star-force-dragon-libra-scales.jpg
Hmm...

Hmm.....

It'd be cool to see Miyamoto and some of the other creative minds at Nintendo all create their own little eShop games just to give them a short break after their mainline games come out. It'd be cool to see what they could do when given creative freedom to make any game they want (but smaller in scale for an eShop release). Maybe I'm just crazy though..

I dont see why people attribute any of these games to him. He was not the director or did any development work on wii music or steel diver. Miyamoto hasn't directed for a long time

Even if developers get promoted to a managing or producer role, they can still create games in the sense that they tell the development team what to do exactly.

I love Miyamato, but at age 61, it begs the question if the man is capable of creating or co-signing a new IP that is a radical departure from Nintendo's existing ones, both in terms of gameplay and presentation.

balohna

Remember when they talked about Miyamoto enjoying gardening?

That's where Pikmin came from.

I expect something somewhat casual-focused. Hopefully it'll be good, at least.

I love Miyamato, but at age 61, it begs the question if the man is capable of creating or co-signing a new IP that is a radical departure from Nintendo's existing ones, both in terms of gameplay and presentation.

That "Nintendo" feel is basically Miyamoto's doing, to this day. He'll jump in on projects he's not even really that involved with and tell them to change things.

I feel as though there's more reason than there was with 3DS in the more or less equivalent time frame.

3DS June 2011 - March 2012
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (June)
Star Fox 64 3D (September)
Pokemon Rumble Blast (October)
Super Mario 3D Land (November)
Mario Kart 7 (December)
Kid Icarus Uprising (March)

Wii U June 2013 - March 2014
Game & Wario (June)
Pikmin 3 (August)
NSLU Limited Edition (August)
The Wonderful 101 (September)
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (October)
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (November)
Super Mario 3D World (December)
Wii Party U (2013)
Wii Fit U (2013)
Mario Kart 8 (Spring 2014, so ???)

.....well shit.

I really can't afford a Wii U this year dammit.

I am selfishly glad they didn't drop the price...because yo damn that's a lot of games I'd buy.

thefro

That's basically like complaining that Mozart didn't write hip-hop music and Hitchcock didn't direct a movie like Bayformers

MisterHero

I for one cannot wait for Employee Kidnapper 3000 starring breakout character Mr. Morimoto.

The final boss is Mr. Yamaguchi.

It got to the point where they announced MK 8 for god sake. Of course they needed a new IP. They needed one long time ago back in Gamecube days.

Certain series almost got to that number of entries within this single generation, so that's not too bad. They also got plenty of new IPs ever since the GCN days, but clearly you can't reproduce the significance of a Super Mario just because you wish to.

Enkidu

It got to the point where they announced MK 8 for god sake. Of course they needed a new IP. They needed one long time ago back in Gamecube days.
Are you suggesting there's something inherently wrong with them announcing an eight Mario Kart game? It's not like they've milked the series dry exactly, since 1992 they've released 7 Mario Kart racing games. Comparatively Microsoft have released 6 Halo shooters since 2001 and Sony have released 6 God of War brawlers since 2005.

Jacobi

Banned
Wii U Gardening

Plan your garden on the gamepads touchscreens. Let your Miis dance in your garden.
Play minigames to shoo away insects.

That's basically like complaining that Mozart didn't write hip-hop music and Hitchcock didn't direct a movie like Bayformers

It'd be nice to showcase some range. I mean, in terms of acting Robert De Niro has done it all, but Shiggy is more like ole John Wayne...great actor, but limited range.

but clearly you can't reproduce the significance of a Super Mario just because you wish to.
The problem is that they aren't even close to trying. The last time they did was pikmin or arguably luigis mansion, that was two
generations ago. However both turned out to be reasonably successful, so I can't understand why they don't try this more often.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'm sorry as much as I love Nintendo I just can't get excited for this new franchise. I'm afraid it'll be some casual Wii music/wii mini game type affair. Welp, consider me already whelmed by the reveal.

The problem is that they aren't even close to trying. The last time they did was pikmin or arguably luigis mansion, that was two
generations ago. However both turned out to be reasonably successful, so I can't understand why they don't try this more often.

Yeah, can't deny that their marketing has become shit. That whole misery of getting Xenoblade localized and now for some reason trying to ignore Wonderful 101...

Considering Miyamoto might be heavily involved in this, it will probably get the attention it needs, but that also means it's probably a game GAFers won't care for.

Brofield

Well, if this new IP is a Halo killer, wouldn't be that hard to do, seeing where that franchise currently sits.

If he followed up on his promise inbetween Halo 2 and 3, THAT would have been an accomplishment.

Oersted

It'd be cool to see Miyamoto and some of the other creative minds at Nintendo all create their own little eShop games just to give them a short break after their mainline games come out. It'd be cool to see what they could do when given creative freedom to make any game they want (but smaller in scale for an eShop release). Maybe I'm just crazy though..
Like the Guild Series? Yeah, why not.

ASIS

This is Miyamoto we are talking about. His definition of IPs are very different from ours. Expect something on the same level as wuhu island or whatever it's called.

This will either be

A) another variation of a Mario game, like Mario Ice-Rink Skating or perhaps Super Mario Supermarket Sweep

B) Something 90% of the people who posted in this thread won't want to play. Wii Sports equivalent for the Gamepad or WuHu-Wii U Island HD Edition

Please (don't)be excited

Bombadil

Banned
Let's assume it's not going to be a violent game.

Let's assume it's not going to be a platformer.

If it's a new IP, then it will probably have an nature theme, such as the forest or jungle or ocean.

It might be a ocean exploration game.

That would be nice.

Let's assume it's not going to be a violent game.

Let's assume it's not going to be a platformer.

If it's a new IP, then it will probably have an nature theme, such as the forest or jungle or ocean.

It might be a ocean exploration game.

That would be nice.

Nintendo already has that though. (Endless Ocean)

I'm hopeful for a strange interpretation of an existing genre, like pikmin was.

Hell, even if it's another strange interpretation of strategy games I'm ok with it.

So, something totally inventive and crazy like Pikmin, or what Miyamoto has said before he is capable of making but has so far chosen not to?

a first-party FPS developed by EAD?

daakusedo

I feel excited yet skeptical about Miyamoto's definition of new IP. Miyamoto, don't disappoint us.

Isn't it the same as everyone else?
Last thing I read from him was you could get new gameplay ideas in existing series, choosing the right characters etc...but that's not related to the definition of it.
Or is he including spinoffs in it?

Top Bottom