• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto teases "new franchise" for 2014

WillyFive

I like how it's huge news that he and Nintendo are making one new IP. Hey guys, you need about 5-10 of those and they need to be significant. Especially since your third party support is dwindling.

The news is that it's a new IP from Miyamoto, not one from Nintendo (of which we get various each year).

8bits

Banned
I'm not going to get too excited by this news. I think his new IP will definitely be innovative, fun and creative but I doubt it will be epic, grand or exciting. I wouldn't be surprised if he is working on that "hook" to draw in the casual crowd that the Wii had.

every time I read about Mario Strikers, I remember how much Nintendo for the Wii U should really push on their b-teams (second party or similar) for more b-games released on the platform

Mario Strikers/Punch out from NLG - Just finished Luigi, seemingly hiring for a big new project, not necessarily for Nintendo, though
Battalion Wars from Headstrong - working on Art Academy for Wii U
Chibi robo from Skip - Seemingly just finished the 3DS eshop game
Excite Something from Monster Games - Seems to have had their whole staff on the DKCR port
Sin & Punishment from Treasure -Working on something for 3DS, not necessarily for Nintendo, though

similar projects would really help the satisfaction level of Wii U owners, imho.

Some notes. Platinum, Good Fool, Atlus,& Namco are all working on 1st party projects though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Holy crap, new franchise!

Hope it does well, if it doesn't then we're back to Mario and Zelda forever.

In a sense, this is almost the joke with Pikmin. It's a fan favorite and beloved, and Nintendo put a lot of work into crafting an original universe built around original gameplay (for consoles). And it didn't sell all that well.

Result? It took years to get a Pikmin 3 and in the meantime Nintendo fell back on reliable franchises for their core games.

I fear the problem may be that when people say they want "new IP" most of them really mean they just don't want to see Mario's face, but basically want a game that's just like some other popular game. But want it with this mystical idea of "Nintendo magic" so it'll be awesome or something.

And Nintendo will turn up with a new IP that does have a fresh face and wholly original game world... and also be built around an original genre and play mechanic and people will say "WTF this is a gimmick where's the Halo killer and the GTA killer."

I wouldn't mind a Luigi's Mansion-style new franchise, as much as I'd prefer a new character to headline.
I don't understand how this suddenly makes everything okay for some people. One new franchise isn't going to save the whole future of the Wii-U.
Please point to me where people are saying this will save the Wii U.

People are looking forward to it because it's a new Miyamoto IP. We don't get them too often.

Sendou

I don't understand how this suddenly makes everything okay for some people. One new franchise isn't going to save the whole future of the Wii-U.

This whole thread is consists of "lol mario cooking u" and "wii music sux". Wherever those "some people" are they're not here.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I fear the problem may be that when people say they want "new IP" most of them really mean they just don't want to see Mario's face, but basically want a game that's just like some other popular game. But want it with this mystical idea of "Nintendo magic" so it'll be awesome or something.

And Nintendo will turn up with a new IP that does have a fresh face and wholly original game world... and also be built around an original genre and play mechanic and people will say "WTF this is a gimmick where's the Halo killer and the GTA killer."

Yeah, the complete irony is there. At the very least, better to make a masterpiece from a current IP than a mediocre new IP (with new IP itself being questionable).

Oh well. People will be like that. It's getting tiring to argue that it's better to pass through the posts.

I want a game with new ideas that work well and result in a fun experience different to anything else around. If its on the level of Wii Sports, this is fine, because it did achieve all these things. And if it happens to be Mario character focused, as long as it achieves all the above criteria, then I'm fine with that too.... who really cares if it does or doesn't use new characters? What is the difference?
Story...

I like a good story to go along with the gameplay. It's hard to create a good original story in an IP that has been beaten to death. Even good stories will seem lacking simply because there won't be that sense of discovery as the world has already been so fully developed in previous titles even if those may not have even been in the same genre... I'm not saying new games set in old worlds can't be good, but it's much harder to make them stand out.

Is it going to be an actual new franchise though, or is it just going to be another game of Mario discovering a new sport or something? Mario Darts. Mario Polo. Mario Bowls.

8bits

Banned

I don't think it "suddenly makes everything okay" for anyone. The thread has tons of snarky replies so I don't see where you are getting conclusions from. Plus, when one of the greatest figures in the gaming industry announces he is working on a new IP it's obvious people are going to be excited...

DSix

Banned
To me this is the last chance for current old-Miyamoto, if it's another wii music bullcrap I'm done and done.

WillyFive

Is it going to be an actual new franchise though, or is it just going to be another game of Mario discovering a new sport or something? Mario Darts. Mario Polo. Mario Bowls.

Miyamoto isn't the one who does the Mario sports games though. You're confusing him with developers like Hudson and Camelot.

Oersted

Story...

I like a good story to go along with the gameplay. It's hard to create a good original story in an IP that has been beaten to death. Even good stories will seem lacking simply because there won't be that sense of discovery as the world has already been so fully developed in previous titles even if those may not have even been in the same genre... I'm not saying new games set in old worlds can't be good, but it's much harder to make them stand out.

Try Mario & Luigi. Best thing which happened to the Mario IP since Strikers.

No they will give us the likes of wii-music or wii-fit and the Nintendo defence-force will insist that they are new IPs too. Maybe so, but in the mean time Sony gives us something like the last of us, uncharted or knack and whatever else they have (I don't really follow Sony/Microsoft-news).

There is new ip and then there is new IP and there is a big bloody difference.

I am pessimistic until proven otherwise :p

nintendofail.gif

Darryl

Banned

the future of the wii u isn't really that grim unless you cared about playing third-party games on the console. miyamoto is a legend, when he says he's back to making something new people pay attention.

No they will give us the likes of wii-music or wii-fit and the Nintendo defence-force will insist that they are new IPs too.

Or they could give us something like Fossil Hunters, Xenoblade, The Wonderful 101, Soma Bringer, A.S.H., Pandora's Tower, or Tomodachi Collection.

I'm sure some "Nintendo hating force" will insist that they don't count as new IPs too.

Story...

If you crave a great story, you're probably best avoiding hyping up Miyamoto's new IP. Whatever else you say about him, he's never shown any interest in complicated plots in his games.

synce

Kind of exciting, but his last new game was Pikmin and I never even got around to trying it. Hopefully the new one has cooler characters

I feel like it's going to be a title aimed for casual gamers like Wii Sports or Wii Fit. I'm sure Miyamoto considers Pikmin 3 a more hardcore game, so now he'll want to work on something for casual players. This is not necessarily a bad thing as they need to win back some of that casual market that the original Wii had.

Chao

Probably we will see "project hammer" again on wii u. I don't think they scrapped that project, just saved it for later.

Or they could give us something like Fossil Hunters, Xenoblade, The Wonderful 101, Soma Bringer, A.S.H., Pandora's Tower, or Tomodachi Collection.

I'm sure some "Nintendo hating force" will insist that they don't count as new IPs too.
I would agree that at least Xenoblade and W101 have/had the potential to be big hitters, but they surely aren't treated as such. Which is the other side of the problem.

Try Mario & Luigi. Best thing which happened to the Mario IP since Strikers.

I must admit, I've played the Paper Mario RPGs but not those. They never seemed interesting to be. From what I've read they're full of cringe worthy one-liners and in-jokes.

If you crave a great story, you're probably best avoiding hyping up Miyamoto's new IP. Whatever else you say about him, he's never shown any interest in complicated plots in his games.
I never said they have to be complicated. In fact, his uncomplicated style of storytelling is why I'd rather he use a new IP. Pikmin was great because it was about a stranded astronaught discovering a new world... I doubt it would've been as good if you were Mario herding Yoshis...

No they will give us the likes of wii-music or wii-fit and the Nintendo defence-force will insist that they are new IPs too. Maybe so, but in the mean time Sony gives us something like the last of us, uncharted or knack and whatever else they have (I don't really follow Sony/Microsoft-news).

There is new ip and then there is new IP and there is a big bloody difference.

This post embodies everything I don't like about modern gaming (though you are certainly entitled to your opinion).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I would agree that at least Xenoblade and W101 at least have/had the potential to be big hitters, but they surely aren't treated as such. Which is the other side of the problem.

I think W101 is like every platinum project in that it is inherently doomed to be niche.

With Xenoblade I get the feeling Nintendo didn't know what they had until the game released and received all of the accolades.

Notice how X is already being prominently featured for every market- I suspect they are going to push it hard.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Looking at the list of games designed by Miyamoto (not just produced), besides Zelda and Mario there are things la Excitebike, Pilotwings 64 and Steel Diver and then you have games like Pac-Man Vs.(GBA Link), Wii Fit (Wiimote), Wii Music (Wiimote) and even Steel Diver (touch screen) who emphasize the "Nintendo difference" on the respective system. Based also on the quotes StreetsAhead mentioned I would say the new IP will be in the second category. So I expect a new IP that fully exploits the gamepad and that appeals to casuals too.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Awesome to hear of a new franchise, but I hope it's a new character driven one, and not something like Wii Music.

And by saying Mariokart U will be ready by spring I assume he's going by the Nintendo calendar which would be late summer?

wrowa

I would agree that at least Xenoblade and W101 have/had the potential to be big hitters, but they surely aren't treated as such. Which is the other side of the problem.

You have to decide if you want to look at it from a gamer or sales perspective. In your first post you discredit some of Nintendo's best-selling games of recent years because they don't appeal to your tastes, and now you discredit other games because they are more hardcore but don't sell as well. You have to decide for one side.

This post embodies everything I don't like about modern gaming (though you are certainly entitled to your opinion).
I'm not saying that every game needs to be uncharted or halo. I'm perfectly fine with games being Mario, Zelda or Pikmin. The problem is, Nintendo hasn't created something like that since the launch of the Gamecube. I'm not saying niche-titles or wii-fit are wrong, but they are not everything that's needed either.

I'd like something more casual and family fun like Wii U Photography or something. Personally, I'd really dig a painter game, like a Mario Paint reboot with all of the bells and whistles of modern tech and the gamepad :)

Top Bottom