• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto teases "new franchise" for 2014

It got to the point where they announced MK 8 for god sake. Of course they needed a new IP. They needed one long time ago back in Gamecube days.
It'll have taken them twenty two years to get to Mario Kart 8 by the time it comes out. In a world where it only takes six years to make 7 Assassins Creed games and eleven years to make 10 Call of Duty games lets not sit around and pretend that Mario Kart is an example of over using a brand.

Thorakai

I'll be more excited the day Nintendo puts their younger devs in the spotlight and give them the reigns to deliver at least one IP of their choosing.

Isn't it the same as everyone else?
Last thing I read from him was you could get new gameplay ideas in existing series, choosing the right characters etc...but that's not related to the definition of it.
Or is he including spinoffs in it?

No, Miyamoto was saying that when many people think of "new IP" they're merely talking about a new set of characters in a new setting. But in many of those "new" IPs, the gameplay is identical to previous series or franchises.

Miyamoto is saying, if you're going to make a brand new IP, it needs to not just be a new character and new world, it needs to have gameplay that offers something new and unprecendented, otherwise it's just an old IP with new characters and a different setting thrown in.

daakusedo

No, Miyamoto was saying that when many people think of "new IP" they're merely talking about a new set of characters in a new setting. But in many of those "new" IPs, the gameplay is identical to previous series or franchises.

Miyamoto is saying, if you're going to make a brand new IP, it needs to not just be a new character and new world, it needs to have gameplay that offers something new and unprecendented, otherwise it's just an old IP with new characters and a different setting thrown in.

Ok that was the other part of his speech that is dropped in my etc... don't give me a no like that, I'm sad now :(

tolkir

Change "Good Wii U games" to "Miyamoto's new franchise"

miyamoto.gif

Hex

Banned
Is this the one about the hero who goes on a quest to save a princess and fulfill the destinies given by a tribe of ancient shamans that he meets, but the princess is really an allegory for the company's ass and the shamans are really shareholders?

hatchx

Banned
I'm starting to worry about Q1 2014 for wii u. They are goin to lose all the momentum they gain over the holidays without a significant February or march release.

Is this the one about the hero who goes on a quest to save a princess and fulfill the destinies given by a tribe of ancient shamans that he meets, but the princess is really an allegory for the company's ass and the shamans are really shareholders?

Shamans aren't shareholders, they're forum goers on the internet

I'm starting to worry about Q1 2014 for wii u. They are goin to lose all the momentum they gain over the holidays without a significant February or march release.

That's what Bayonetta 2 is for, so you all better go out and buy it

(oh and I guess uh, Yarn Yoshi if that's your thing)

That's a really good point but the company seems to underestimate the need for fresh worlds and settings in existing franchises as well.

Finally, the "teach kids to respect their elders" game he wanted to do. Or maybe the "teach people that paying taxes is important" one.

Can't wait.

PhantomR

Banned

Neogaf.gif

Chronos24

Honestly I'm done with the teases and little hints and secrecy. Seriously Nintendo I love ya but stop spoonfeeding us and just announce some stuff and give us things to actually look forward to other than the usual first party stuff (which is fine I do love that). All I hear is we have unannounced titles blah blah blah. Just tell us already!

hatchx

Banned
Gameplay wise, every year there is a new franchise by Nintendo.

This is true, but not with new IP. I think people are excited for a brand new Nintendo IP. The last few being Pikmin and simplified wii ______ games, I think it's safe to say those both turned out pretty cool.

I want that bird demo from 2011 to be a game. Open world exploration as a bird awe yea

mdtauk

That excuse doesn't count on WiiU anymore, aka the rehash machine without any kind of vision or overall concept.

What one person sees as rehashing old concepts, you could also see as showing how tried and tested concepts can be made fresh by implementing the new controls, and second screen functionality.

Nintendo have always had the gameplay concept in mind first, and then typically will pick an existing franchise, world or character set which will "benefit" or work with that gameplay.

It is either good to refresh existing franchises with new ideas, or a shame that so few of these new gameplay ideas have been given their own worlds and characters.

Mass character control became Pikmin, and was given characters and worlds.
Voice and touch character interaction became Nintendogs.
Motion and physical contol became the Wii ________ series of games, and have the Mii's and WuHu Island.
Steel Diver is a new series (not one I am familiar with).
Flying and Shooting was used to bring back the Kid Icarus franchise.

Not a MOBA fan, but that makes too much sense and it is picking up on popularity. So go ahead and scratch that.

It will be a casual thing, but I am still curious, might just appeal to everyone.

Top Bottom