• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter CEO announces new rules coming

Kevinroc

https://twitter.com/jack/status/919028949434241024

1/ We see voices being silenced on Twitter every day. We’ve been working to counteract this for the past 2 years.

2/ We prioritized this in 2016. We updated our policies and increased the size of our teams. It wasn’t enough.

3/ In 2017 we made it our top priority and made a lot of progress.

4/ Today we saw voices silencing themselves and voices speaking out because we’re *still* not doing enough.

5/ We’ve been working intensely over the past few months and focused today on making some critical decisions.

6/ We decided to take a more aggressive stance in our rules and how we enforce them.

7/ New rules around: unwanted sexual advances, non-consensual nudity, hate symbols, violent groups, and tweets that glorifies violence.

8/ These changes will start rolling out in the next few weeks. More to share next week.

I'll believe it when I see it.

7/ New rules around: unwanted sexual advances, non-consensual nudity, hate symbols, violent groups, and tweets that glorifies violence.

So Twitter is finally going to ban Trump?

Drifters

So every single one of their changes lines up with what President Trump says or does.... will he still get to tweet?

Velcro Fly

Ban Nazis. Ban serial harassers. Ban people doxxing other people. Ban people threatening people. It is not fucking difficult.

They knew who the Nazis are as it’s already on their system and censored in Germany. Should’ve just banned them on time
Gonna take a wild guess and say they'll ban people for retweeting gifs of Spencer getting punched but leave his account up.
Yeah, partially my take on that.

Ever

Banned
can we just ban twitter analysts, nazis, nu-males, alt-rights, sjws, and anyone who's ever mentioned drumpf in a tweet

thanks

Get rid of the Grand Dragon Trumps account and every bot that retweets along with the scum that idolize him and then I'll beleive it.

Jordan117

I only read a couple of Twitter feeds via RSS so I haven't been keeping up with the controversy there too closely, but I was really surprised to learn today that Twitter has a special flag for Actual Nazis that they use to filter them out in compliance with German and French law. Hopefully enforcing this filter everywhere is one of the changes.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Gonna take a wild guess and say they'll ban people for retweeting gifs of Spencer getting punched but leave his account up.

Yup. Expecting groups like BLM to be lumped into "hate groups" while white supremacists are labeled as "controversial political activists."

banktree

Banned
Too little, too late. Twitter has very little useful function outside of major disasters, and even during the current hurricanes and fires you never hear about its use. The only reason he's making a statement is because he knows most of the new users are bots, and a ton of actual live users have deactivated their accounts.

Twitter is becoming much like Reddit, a great place to spread hate but no real use for most people. Combined with the continuing financial boondoogle, I wouldn't be surprised to see this hasten their demise.

Imagine a world without Facebook and Twitter.

1SvkSTv.jpg

Slayven

Women been told you about this bullshit

Minorities been told you about this bullshit

Scientists been told you about this bullshit

News story after news story been told you about this bullshit

Governments been told you about this bullshit

But today was the last straw?

That is why I don't believe them

To think they have to have a meeting about the obvious. All they have to do is pretend posters are like their employees and follow the rules any employer does, you know like the obvious!

krazen

Ugh, why are tech companies universally bad at PR. Ignoring the fact they’ve been ignored the cesspool until it goes viral with a celeb; when the Rose vs Harvey thing went down and they banned her account all that was needed was an immediate unban, apologies all around, and a statement similar to this within a couple of hours of the ban.

In their case they took forever to unban her and gave a shitty ass legal-ese explanation on the reasons why because they’ve got no real leadership or plan (despite these commandments) and were stuck in a zillion meetings figuring out what to do next while the narrative became they were pro-hollywood rape (which thy aren’t, but considering how shitty they are at making these calls might as well be) and here we are today with a boycott and limp dick corporate response.

With people exposing the abuse they recieved primarily on twitter and instagram this week should have been a win for social media. Instead, silicon valley found a way to fuck it up.

Monocle

So they're going to ban the account of noted racist sexist hatemonger Donald Trump, who is currently making headlines for throwing the support of the most powerful office in the country behind an anti-LGBT hate group?

Then start with Trump if you're serious. Otherwise:

Yep.

Top Bottom