• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

I don't know if he was responsible for the actual label art, but the cinema layouts and character designs for the NES Ninja Gaiden games were originally drawn by Masato Kato, who went on to be the scenario writer for Chrono Trigger/Cross/Xenogears/etc. I'm always fascinated by ascended illustrators (see also: Keiji Inafune, Tetsuya Nomura).

Ok, so that was him then. I saw the name and didn't realize it was the very same Masato Kato. Fascinating!

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Ok, so that was him then. I saw the name and didn't realize it was the very same Masato Kato. Fascinating!

Yep, that's him. Look up his preliminary designs for Chrono Trigger sometime. They're like a midway point between Ninja Gaiden's cinemas and the character art Akira Toriyama eventually produced for CT.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Actually played a few hours of Ninja Ryukenden III today, and got to level 7-2A which i assume is pretty late in the game. Been pretty easy so far, but the difficulty definitely ramps up here. Cool game for sure, but very derivative of the earlier games.

Morfeo

So I was able to do this:

l63FIZP.jpg

A great ending to an awesome series. I think the third game, at least in its Famicom-version that i played, is probably the easiest in the series with the passwords and everything, and I was for instance able to beat the last boss on only the second try which is a bit fast imo. The music and level design is less memorable all around in this game compared to the first two games, but some things have improves too, as the sub-weapons and wall climbing. Anyways, highly recommended for a quick playthrough!

A great ending to an awesome series. I think the third game, at least in its Famicom-version that i played, is probably the easiest in the series with the passwords and everything, and I was for instance able to beat the last boss on only the second try which is a bit fast imo. The music and level design is less memorable all around in this game compared to the first two games, but some things have improves too, as the sub-weapons and wall climbing. Anyways, highly recommended for a quick playthrough!

Congrats!

Mr. Virus

Yo thread!

Picked up an AV Famicom on the cheap(ish) as I couldn't find the bottle to mod my original one, so wondering what recommendations people have for it. Generally looking for stuff that never made it outside of Japan, or did but has little to no language barrier anyway (because it'll be a fraction of the price compared to UK NES prices).

-KRS-

Yo thread!

Picked up an AV Famicom on the cheap(ish) as I couldn't find the bottle to mod my original one, so wondering what recommendations people have for it. Generally looking for stuff that never made it outside of Japan, or did but has little to no language barrier anyway (because it'll be a fraction of the price compared to UK NES prices).

I always mention these since I think they're must haves:

Kid Dracula
The Goonies 1
Yume Penguin Monogatari
Gradius II
Samurai Pizza Cats/Kyatto Ninden Teyandee
Tetris 2 + Bombliss
Hebereke (Came out in Europe though)

The FC release of Contra has better animations in the level backgrounds, and obviously Castlevania 3/Akumajou Densetsu has the VRC6 enhanced sound. And as has been mentioned in the thread recently, the FC release of Ninja Gaiden III is actually playable. :p

Mr. Virus

I always mention these since I think they're must haves:

Kid Dracula
The Goonies 1
Yume Penguin Monogatari
Gradius II
Samurai Pizza Cats/Kyatto Ninden Teyandee
Tetris 2 + Bombliss
Hebereke (Came out in Europe though)

The FC release of Contra has better animations in the level backgrounds, and obviously Castlevania 3/Akumajou Densetsu has the VRC6 enhanced sound. And as has been mentioned in the thread recently, the FC release of Ninja Gaiden III is actually playable. :p

Cheers :). Was looking at Hebereke but yikes, few places I checked were pricey! How is Kid Dracula? Only really seen the GB game mentioned.

-KRS-

It's a fun, cute platformer from Konami, with everything that entails. :D Good level design, bright and colorful graphic, great music, and tight controls.

The GB game is based on it, so they're a bit similar in the beginning from what I remember (haven't really played the GB game much).

In general if it's a Konami game for Famicom/NES you can't go wrong.

Mr. Virus

It's a fun, cute platformer from Konami, with everything that entails. :D Good level design, bright and colorful graphic, great music, and tight controls.

The GB game is based on it, so they're a bit similar in the beginning from what I remember (haven't really played the GB game much).

In general if it's a Konami game for Famicom/NES you can't go wrong.

Awesome, thanks! Got Akumajou Densetsu the way now, so will look into that one soon :).

OnPoint

Cheers :). Was looking at Hebereke but yikes, few places I checked were pricey! How is Kid Dracula? Only really seen the GB game mentioned.

Hebereke is also available on the Wii Virtual Console as Ufouria if you still have one of those, but be warned that it's the PAL version, so the music is all distorted if you buy it on an NTSC system. Not sure if you can get it on the Wii U.

Kid Dracula is a lot of fun.

Mr. Virus

Hebereke is also available on the Wii Virtual Console as Ufouria if you still have one of those, but be warned that it's the PAL version, so the music is all distorted if you buy it on an NTSC system. Not sure if you can get it on the Wii U.

Kid Dracula is a lot of fun.

Live in PAL land, so will check it out soon :). Keep forgetting about the Wii's VC!

OK, disk system fans, what's the best place to purchase an FDS Stick? I figure there's no reason not to own one and pump some cool Famicom sound through my nice 2.1 setup.

Pinky

Banned

Congratulations! All 3 games were my jam back in the day. Beat all 3 numerous times, but I seriously doubt I could do it today. I have fond memories of these games. Loved the characters, cinematic cut scenes, wicked difficulty, tight controls, etc... Good times!

Lothar

Banned
i played it in 1986-7 so my memory is foggy. i dont remember any of the cut scenes. so i'll be surprised again.

It's not a cutscene surprise. It's something else. In Act 6.

I beat NG last night. I was surprised at how ingrained in my memory everything was. Yet.. still it was brutal and took me hours. And I don't think Act 6 is good fun difficulty like NG2 is and I would say Battletoads is, it was more torture difficulty. This is even coming from someone who's beaten the game many times before and knew what to expect. Those of you who don't know what to expect are really in for an experience. Enjoy!

Then there's the NG I've never been able to beat, NG3. I remember that being the hardest of the three.

Timu

It's not a cutscene surprise. It's something else. In Act 6.

I beat NG last night. I was surprised at how ingrained in my memory everything was. Yet.. still it was brutal and took me hours. And I don't think Act 6 is good fun difficulty like NG2 is and I would say Battletoads is, it was more torture difficulty. This is even coming from someone who's beaten the game many times before and knew what to expect. Those of you who don't know what to expect are really in for an experience. Enjoy!

Then there's the NG I've never been able to beat, NG3. I remember that being the hardest of the three.
Congrats on beating NG1 dude!

I can vouch for this. Ordered two and they work perfect. I also was the reason for the latest firmware update, my ram adapter was an older version that was incompatible with the stick, so I sent it to him and he used it for research and cranked out the firmware update. :)

That's great to hear. I want to support that kind of work!

Lothar

Banned
What was your introduction to Ninja Gaiden? What made you first want to play it?

Mine was this VHS video I rented at the age of 7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnswSQJvNDA Everything about it looked and sounded so badass. I begged my parents to get the game after watching this video over and over. It's a lousy tips video as he doesn't even mention the toughest parts.

Still it did teach me the strategy of using the "Fire wheel" on the bosses. As long as you had enough spiritual energy, you had a good chance to win. That's how I was able to beat the game at 7. (I think. I'm pretty sure I was finished it by the time NG 2 came out.)

This made me realize I was watching Let's Plays in 1989.

Morfeo

My friend owned it and i used to play it at his place. Got to the final boss, but was never able to beat it before i bought it myself in the early 2000s though.

Lothar

Banned
First attempt at NG3: Made it to Act 3 and went through all 5 continues.

Something is very off with these controls. Playing it after NG1, you can really feel the difference. When Ryu jumps now, he floats or it's too slow or something. It's also harder to turn in the air.

Ryu no longer bounces when he's hit by a enemy. You might think that's a good thing since he might no longer fly away to his death, but no that still happens. The little push they gave you is enough to make you fall. The only difference is now you don't get bounced out of harms way when there's a group of enemies surrounding you. They just hit you over and over.

There's no Ninja Clones (most fun weapon in NG2) or Jump Slash (most fun weapon in NG1)

The music is not as good as the others.

Of course there's limited continues now and that sucks.

I remember it being disappointing as a kid but I didn't remember why. Oh yeah, this is why.

Timu

First attempt at NG3: Made it to Act 3 and went through all 5 continues.

Something is very off with these controls. Playing it after NG1, you can really feel the difference. When Ryu jumps now, he floats or it's too slow or something. It's also harder to turn in the air.

Ryu no longer bounces when he's hit by a enemy. You might think that's a good thing since he might no longer flies away to his death, but no that still happens. The little push they gave you is enough to make you fall. The only difference is now you don't get bounced out of harms way when there's a group of enemies surrounding you. They just hit you over and over.

There's no Ninja Clones (most fun weapon in NG2) or Jump Slash (most fun weapon in NG1)

The music is not as good as the others.

Of course there's limited continues now and that sucks.

I remember it being disappointing as a kid but I didn't remember why. Oh yeah, this is why.
The game definitely controls worse than the 1st 2 and has the worst hit detection in the entire series. It's by far my least fave of the 3.

Morfeo

And I loved it when i played the Famicom-version.

Anyways, played two other Nes-games today, first Battle of Olympus which is a decent Zelda 2-clone that i beat about ten years ago. Gave up today when i had to grind for olives to buy some stuff.

Also played a bit of the original TMNT-game for the Nes, and i know this game get a lot of shit, but i really enjoyed my time with it today and learnt some new stuff about it, like the fact that you can save dead/captured turtles, and the way the pizza respawns when reentering a building. This knowledge made the game much more manageable, and while i wasnt able to completely explore the whole Area 3, it was really fun to wander around it, and im pretty sure i can advance to Area 4 next time.

Timu

Ok, after Stage 5, I need to get really good at the last 2 stages in NG3, because I know those stages are going to be insane!

Timu

Yep, I finally beat it Ninja Gaiden 3.

This game is insane, like, WTF is this game and why is it so fucking hard??? Glad that's over with.

Top Bottom