• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

I was thinking about picking up a Famicom Mini now that a Super Famicom Mini is coming out as well. Prices seem way more reasonable than the NES and language (for the games that matter) isn't an issue.

Are there any concerns about the systems for sale on Amazon? (Namely, is there any risk of getting fakes / bootlegs?) Thank you.

I was thinking about picking up a Famicom Mini now that a Super Famicom Mini is coming out as well. Prices seem way more reasonable than the NES and language (for the games that matter) isn't an issue.

Are there any concerns about the systems for sale on Amazon? (Namely, is there any risk of getting fakes / bootlegs?) Thank you.

I'd be scared of getting one of these, lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iydk60Nf1Ig

Timu

Now that I have beaten Ninja Gaiden 3 US, I can now talk about it in full and how it compares to the 1st 2.

I would say this is the worst one due to a lot of changes it had from the Japanese version along with it's other problems like the horrible hit detection. This game has the worst hit detection in the series. There are times when I get hit even when I killed the enemy, there are times where I'm above, behind or below an enemy and still getting hit by them somehow, and my sword would go through an enemy and not hit them so I get a cheap hit in return. Even hitting items can sometimes take 2-4 tries due to how bad the hit detection is. It frustrates me since the game is already hard as it is so that's something that needs work.

Also, the jumping is floaty compared to the 1st 2. You really have to control him more to get where you want to line up your jumps. You will get used to it but it seems to not control as smooth as the 1st 2.

Then we have the level design and enemy placement. It seems like some sections in levels are designed to just frustrate the player more with hazards being in nasty spots than being designed very well. The last level is a perfect example of this as well. Enemy placement is all over the place and for this US version more enemies are added to make things worse. The game clearly wasn't designed around it so that's a change that shouldn't happen.

Worst of all is the fact you pretty much need to die on the last level due to the strict timer it has if you take your time through the level. It's really poor design and the game should had given you more time to get through it normally.

Overall this was a decent game despite it's issues, and the Japanese version sounds better. It has good gameplay, some improvements like no respawning enemies(for the most part)and being able to see items before you hit them, it has the toughest bosses in the series, and the music is good. However the 1st 2 are better obviously. If you are looking for a challenge, play the US version, however, you need to be dedicated to it to beat it because it's easily one of the hardest games I've ever played, and I played Battletoads so yeah!

It took a lot of years, but I'm glad I'm done with that game!

Lothar

Banned
Great analysis. I wonder if I should even bother putting myself through the torture.

Battletoads is way kinder to the player than even the first Ninja Gaiden. You don't have to glitch a enemy to have a chance at a part in Battletoads. You're not totally screwed in Battletoads if you make it to the last boss and you don't have a certain weapon. If you die on the last boss in Battletoads, you just get to continue in the same spot. What happens if you die on the last boss of Ninja Gaiden? You get to be on the receiving end of one of the all time cruelest VG jokes.

Timu

Great analysis. I wonder if I should even bother putting myself through the torture.

Battletoads is way kinder to the player than even the first Ninja Gaiden. You don't have to glitch a enemy to have a chance at a part in Battletoads. You're not totally screwed in Battletoads if you make it to the last boss and you don't have a certain weapon. If you die on the last boss in Battletoads, you just get to continue in the same spot. What happens if you die on the last boss of Ninja Gaiden? You get to be on the receiving end of one of the all time cruelest VG jokes.
This is true, but in all honesty, Ninja Gaiden 1 is easier than Battletoads overall, with the 1st 4 stages not being that tough and half of the bosses are pretty easy. Plus Jump n Slash destroys everything. Not to mention it's easier to beat without dying(like I did) compared to Battletoads(which I would never do).

Also this guy lists all the differences between the US and Japanese versions of Ninja Gaiden 3, and there's a lot! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFlimpG8YPA

OnPoint

While I disagree with your opinion on several accounts in this post as a matter of opinion, Battletoads having finite continues alone makes it more difficult to complete than Ninja Gaiden 1, nor do you need a specific weapon to beat the final boss.

Timu

While I disagree with your opinion on several accounts in this post as a matter of opinion, Battletoads having finite continues alone makes it more difficult to complete than Ninja Gaiden 1, nor do you need a specific weapon to beat the final boss.
Yeah, you can just beat the final boss with just your sword only, and it's not even that hard of a final boss compared to the 2nd final boss(who's the hardest in the whole game). With good reflexes and being able to hit it multiple times before dodging the projectiles you can finish it quickly.

Awesome to see to see everyone playing NG3. I wish I owned a copy only because it's so darn pretty of a game. 2 Will always be my fav NES NG game.

Also..... I still want to try finding that SEGA NG game

cS3mlX1m.jpg

near mint cib super famicom games are still affordable
50 max i guess ?
i got dkc 1 2 3 cib for under 50 in total.
final fantasy 4 5 6 ? loose carts? 15 bucks
breath of fire 1 and 2 ? 12 bucks
super mario rpg ? 8 bucks

Was that DKC trilogy on EBAY..... I think I was eyeing one and never pulled the trigger lol. Ended up getting DKC2 NTSC(which I had long lost due to a horrible neighbour friend who stole it)

Lothar

Banned

While Battletoads is harder because of the length and limited continues, I would still say it's not as frustrating as NG and thus kinder to the player. When I lose all my lives on Battletoads, I think "Heh, they got me." When I die on NG 6-2 with like 10 enemies surrounding me and I feel like there's nothing I could have done or when I die on the last boss, it makes me feel like punching a hole in my TV. What happens when you die on the last boss is just unforgivable, especially considering they only give you one try.

I can't believe it's possible to beat all three final bosses of NG with a sword. If it is, it's well beyond my limits and I can beat Battletoads without any problems. To give you only one try at it before sending you all the way back is so over the top cruel that you just have to laugh at it. I really think they actually had to genuinely hate the people playing the game to put that in there.

Timu

I can't believe it's possible to beat all three final bosses of NG with a sword.
I beat them all with a sword, in fact, it's all you need for the 1st and 3rd final bosses. The 2nd one, however, is the hardest but the wall jump trick is one of the best ways to do it with the sword along with using the 2nd pillar. Like this video shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhrVbdMtD5M

This is the fastest way with the sword, but it's basically a down b tactic while jumping:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r1I87gBBig

OnPoint

While Battletoads is harder because of the length and limited continues, I would still say it's not as frustrating as NG and thus kinder to the player. When I lose all my lives on Battletoads, I think "Heh, they got me." When I die on NG 6-2 with like 10 enemies surrounding me and I feel like there's nothing I could have done or when I die on the last boss, it makes me feel like punching a hole in my TV. What happens when you die on the last boss is just unforgivable, especially considering they only give you one try.

I can't believe it's possible to beat all three final bosses of NG with a sword. If it is, it's well beyond my limits and I can beat Battletoads without any problems. To give you only one try at it before sending you all the way back is so over the top cruel that you just have to laugh at it. I really think they actually had to genuinely hate the people playing the game to put that in there.

As per the bolded: You are wrong. Just factually.

Also, I do not doubt Battletoads is easy for you. But know that you are an absolute outlier and the game is quite difficult for most people. Generally people can't pass the Turbo Tunnel (which honestly is not hard at all).

I could beat NG as a kid. I can beat it now. Yes it's tough, but it's manageable. NG is the quintessential "git gud" game to me. The controls do what I want. If I learn the level and the patterns, I have the tools to execute.

That said: I still can not beat Battletoads. Now of course it's all subjective, but: The controls aren't as crisp as they should be. Nothing is quite as balanced as it needs to be. The constantly shifting focus and changing rules from level to level adds variety, true, but also punishes you for not knowing what the fuck you're doing right away. There are some really poorly designed areas and awful gotcha moments, and there's quite a bit or RNG involved in some of the shitty spots as well (swimming around in Terra Tubes is total horse shit due to the randomness of the enemies). NG doesn't have anything nearly as punishing as Clinger Wingers, and for me, that's including the final stage and having to go back if you die. But even if you do? You can try as many times as you want and you don't have to play all the other hard bullshit before it again unless you reset the game.

TLDR: My opinion is: NG's legendary difficulty is largely because of a glitch and in one unfortunate spot at the end of the game, but at least you have unlimited continues. Battletoads is mostly a repeated kick to the crotch, the only difference from level to level is how hard it's kicking you, and it kicks mercilessly until your dead for good.

Timu

The thing about Battletoads is that it requires you to get gud throughout the game to have any chance of surviving the later stages, tons of memorization and getting as many extra lives as possible due to having only 3 continues. You die in 1-3 hits where as in Ninja Gaiden enemies and bosses normally have to hit you numerous times to bring you down as no enemy and boss can kill you in a single hit.

Ninja Gaiden's difficulty increases gradually while Battletoads says fuck you by the 3rd stage, like a massive difficulty spike out of nowhere. Also Battletoads definitely controls worse than NG1 when it comes to platforming and such, though you will get used to it. And the levels, good lord, Battletoads requires no room for error with many of them like Rat Race. If you mess up at any point against the 3rd rat, you pretty much lost. Also Battletoads requires you to restart the whole level on continues where as Ninja Gaiden lets you continue where you left off, like 6-3 or so.

When it comes to time and length of which games I beaten, it took longer for me to get through Battletoads than Ninja Gaiden, like I played Battletoads years before Ninja Gaiden and was able to still beat Ninja Gaiden before I beat Battletoads which was years later, and I played Battletoads much more as well. So yes, even though Ninja Gaiden has some BS moments, Battletoads is still the harder game for most people.

Ninja Gaiden 3 US is easily on Battletoads level however, maybe more for some people even.

Timu

Is it a glitch that you are sent back?
No, die on any of the 3 final bosses and you are sent back to 6-1.

However, the great news is that if you kill a boss, it stays dead forever. Like kill the 1st boss, die to the 2nd boss, and when you get back at the bosses you don't have to fight the 1st boss again, only the 2nd and 3rd bosses. Kill the 2nd boss, die to the 3rd boss and you'll only have to fight the 3rd boss to finish the game Plus, you can use sub weapons as well on the last 2 bosses, like the jump n slash kills them in a few seconds.

Lothar

Banned
As per the bolded: You are wrong. Just factually.

I'll put it a different way. I don't believe it's possible for many people to do it. More people could probably beat Battletoads than beat the last three bosses of NG with a sword. It's not a fair thing to ask of the player considering the harsh penalty for failure.

Also, I do not doubt Battletoads is easy for you. But know that you are an absolute outlier and the game is quite difficult for most people. Generally people can't pass the Turbo Tunnel (which honestly is not hard at all).

I could beat NG as a kid. I can beat it now. Yes it's tough, but it's manageable. NG is the quintessential "git gud" game to me. The controls do what I want. If I learn the level and the patterns, I have the tools to execute.

That said: I still can not beat Battletoads. Now of course it's all subjective, but: The controls aren't as crisp as they should be. Nothing is quite as balanced as it needs to be. The constantly shifting focus and changing rules from level to level adds variety, true, but also punishes you for not knowing what the fuck you're doing right away. There are some really poorly designed areas and awful gotcha moments, and there's quite a bit or RNG involved in some of the shitty spots as well (swimming around in Terra Tubes is total horse shit due to the randomness of the enemies). NG doesn't have anything nearly as punishing as Clinger Wingers, and for me, that's including the final stage and having to go back if you die. But even if you do? You can try as many times as you want and you don't have to play all the other hard bullshit before it again unless you reset the game.

TLDR: My opinion is: NG's legendary difficulty is largely because of a glitch and in one unfortunate spot at the end of the game, but at least you have unlimited continues. Battletoads is mostly a repeated kick to the crotch, the only difference from level to level is how hard it's kicking you, and it kicks mercilessly until your dead for good.

I admitted that Battletoads is harder. You're replying like I didn't. I'm talking about the unabashed cruelty towards the player. When you die one time at Level 11, Clingerwinger, you're not sent back to Level 7. NG does that. There's no reason to do it unless you want the person playing it to be miserable.

Timu

More people could probably beat Battletoads than beat the last three bosses of NG with a sword.
I honestly don't know about that, many people can't even get past the 3rd stage of Battletoads, so I can't imagine them when they get to the 4th, 6th, 7th, 9th and 11th stages as well, or even 10th if they can't get past the 3rd rat. For NG final bosses the 1st boss is easy as hell, you should never get hit by him, the 2nd boss is all about reflexes but the wall jump trick, 2nd pillar and down b while jumping tactics work on it, and the 3rd boss is once again about dodging projectiles and being able to get many hits on it before it does another round of projectiles, harder than the 1st but easier than the 2nd boss.

OnPoint

I admitted that Battletoads is harder. You're replying like I didn't. I'm talking about the unabashed cruelty towards the player. When you die one time at Level 11, Clingerwinger, you're not sent back to Level 7. NG does that. There's no reason to do it unless you want the person playing it to be miserable.
No one dies just once on Clinger Wingers lol

Again, I'm pretty sure the being sent back in Ninja Gaiden is an unfortunate glitch and not something the devs intended. It's cruel by mistake. Battletoads is needlessly cruel on purpose.

OnPoint

Pretty sure it doesn't do that in the JPN version, though I'd need some confirmation on that. I've seen that said before, but never tested it myself.

Lothar

Banned
No one dies just once on Clinger Wingers lol

Again, I'm pretty sure the being sent back in Ninja Gaiden is an unfortunate glitch and not something the devs intended. It's cruel by mistake. Battletoads is needlessly cruel on purpose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Gaiden_(NES_video_game)
The game contains a feature that was originally a glitch but left in the final game intentionally, according to Masato Kato. When losing to any of the final three bosses in the game, the player is sent back to the beginning of the sixth act.[27]

The bastards left it in intentionally... In the linked interview, he laughs about it. Laughs!

OnPoint

The game contains a feature that was originally a glitch but left in the final game intentionally, according to Masato Kato. When losing to any of the final three bosses in the game, the player is sent back to the beginning of the sixth act.[27]

The bastards left it in intentionally... In the linked interview, he laughs about it. Laughs!

Hah! Good find. That sucks that they left it in intentionally. Still, it was technically by mistake, even if they left it in ;)

I still don't find the game as cruel as you do, and I certainly find Battletoads far crueler and more frequently.

But we obviously differ on this view, so I shall do the agree/disagree thing with you :)

Timu

Hah! Good find. That sucks that they left it in intentionally. Still, it was technically by mistake, even if they left it in ;)

I still don't find the game as cruel as you do, and I certainly find Battletoads far crueler and more frequently.

But we obviously differ on this view, so I shall do the agree/disagree thing with you :)
I'm with you on that OnPoint, Battletoads takes far more skill to beat as well.

BTails

I'd rank both Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads at a pretty similar difficulty, but they both use different tactis. NG is all about skill, learning how to fight different enemies, time jumps, with very little pattern memorization. On the other hand, Toads is all about pattern memorization, but once you have that down, there's very little in the game that can trip you up (Except Rat Race and Clinger Winger, grrrr).

OnPoint

I'm with you on that OnPoint, Battletoads takes far more skill to beat as well.

I respect the FUCK out of anyone who can do it. I know that if I spent more time on it, I could do it, but man, it's just infuriating like no other game when it wants to be.

Timu

I'd rank both Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads at a pretty similar difficulty, but they both use different tactis. NG is all about skill, learning how to fight different enemies, time jumps, with very little pattern memorization. On the other hand, Toads is all about pattern memorization, but once you have that down, there's very little in the game that can trip you up (Except Rat Race and Clinger Winger, grrrr).
You die faster in Battletoads, it still needs skill for a lot of stages and has only 3 continues, so it's harder by default!

Ninja Gaiden 3 US on the other hand...

BTails

To be fair, I haven't beat either NG or Battletoads... However, I've gotten to the final boss on BOTH games! Ninja Gaiden I got to the final boss, died, got sent back, tried again, got to the final boss, died, got sent back, and gave up.

Battletoads I got to the final boss ONCE, on my last life, last continue. She killed me, and that was that. Never gotten around to going back, and that was so many years ago that I'd have to relearn the second half of the game all over again.

I eventually beat Battletoads on the Rare Replay collection using their "Rewind" feature

BTails

*Thinks about how many times I jumped over a cliff only to jump into a bird or bat or wolf running in my direction*

Doo-doo-Dee Doo-Doo Dat-Doo-Dee-Dat Doo-Da-Dat!

Don''t lie: despite my poor attempt at transcribing, you just heard it in your head.

Timu

Lothar, if you can't beat NG1, NG3 will be a nightmare for you then, because it gets worse with the bosses and how many enemies they put on screen(which is more than the 1st 2 games).

Lothar

Banned
Lothar, if you can't beat NG1, NG3 will be a nightmare for you then, because it gets worse with the bosses and how many enemies they put on screen(which is more than the 1st 2 games).

You gave me congrats on the last page for beating NG1. :)

NG3 is a nightmare.

Doo-doo-Dee Doo-Doo Dat-Doo-Dee-Dat Doo-Da-Dat!

Don''t lie: despite my poor attempt at transcribing, you just heard it in your head.

Another place NG3 dropped the ball. Instead of those fun sound effects, NG3 gives you some pathetic muffled sound when you get hit.

Timu

You gave me congrats on the last page for beating NG1. :)

NG3 is a nightmare.

Another place NG3 dropped the ball. Instead of those fun sound effects, NG3 gives you some pathetic muffled sound when you get hit.
Ha, my memory is terrible sometimes, lol.

I almost quit NG3, but after over 50 tries on the last stage I finally had beaten that hellish game.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

While i find this pretty funny, the ending with (laughs) reminded me off the awesomeness of the Iwata Ask-series, sucks he and that series are no more :(

Timu

Second attempt at NG3: Made it to Act 3 again.... Any tips on how to beat the twins?
Only hit the one on the far right(when you start go after the furthest one) and dodge their projectiles by climbing on walls and such. Normally you can tank them if you have a lot of health or full health going into the fight.

OnPoint

All this talk in here got me fired up to go give the ol' girl a run.

I forgot what a bitch of a level 6-X can be. I mean, once you die a few times you start to learn again, but it's been a few years since I've smashed my way through this one, so I had to get the rust off.

One hilarious moment was when I was on the last fight, one hit away from victory, and I was playing stupidly cocky and careless. Died. All the way back to 6-1 we go! IRONY. But I can confirm that the boss does stay where you left off on it once you get there again.

It's every bit as good as I remember, but of the trilogy, I still think NGII is more fun to play.

Timu

I forgot what a bitch of a level 6-X can be. I mean, once you die a few times you start to learn again, but it's been a few years since I've smashed my way through this one, so I had to get the rust off.

One hilarious moment was when I was on the last fight, one hit away from victory, and I was playing stupidly cocky and careless. Died. All the way back to 6-1 we go! IRONY. But I can confirm that the boss does stay where you left off on it once you get there again.

It's every bit as good as I remember, but of the trilogy, I still think NGII is more fun to play.
Major congrats man!

OnPoint

Major congrats man!

Thanks haha Probably the 15th time I've beat it in my life... heh

Don't know if I'm going to take up the mantle and try to go through the US III cart. It's so tempting to just fire up that JPN version. It just plays so much worse

Timu

Thanks haha Probably the 15th time I've beat it in my life... heh

Don't know if I'm going to take up the mantle and try to go through the US III cart. It's so tempting to just fire up that JPN version. It just plays so much worse
From what I went through with the US version, you should go with the Japanese version. I don't think you would like the increased damage output, more enemies on screen, 5 continue limit and having to go back to the beginning of the stage when you continue.

OnPoint

From what I went through with the US version, you should go with the Japanese version. I don't think you would like the increased damage output, more enemies on screen, 5 continue limit and having to go back to the beginning of the stage when you continue.

I already know I don't like it, I owned the US cart first haha

The JPN cart is unquestionably an easier time. So much so, that I think the game is easier than NGII in its vanilla form. They had the right idea to make it more difficult, they just went WAY too far.

Lothar

Banned
well i'm not having so much luck. still on 6-2 dying so i guess i need to learn the strategy for it.

If it's the part of 6-2 that is the toughest part of the game (I'm guessing it is), the third segment, most of us get by it with triggering a glitch on the grim reaper looking dude that's dressed in white throwing crosses at you. If you move the screen so that the right edge of it is on his small platform, when he backs up into the right side of the screen, he's disappear. Aften he's gone, move forward on the platform until you get to the end of it and don't jump off. You'll see a bird coming from the right. Duck down. Every instinct says to run or jump but that seems to mean death. If you duck down, the bird will fly past you.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Congrats!

If it's the part of 6-2 that is the toughest part of the game (I'm guessing it is), the third segment, most of us get by it with triggering a glitch on the grim reaper looking dude that's dressed in white throwing crosses at you. If you move the screen so that the right edge of it is on his small platform, when he backs up into the right side of the screen, he's disappear. Aften he's gone, move forward on the platform until you get to the end of it and don't jump off. You'll see a bird coming from the right. Duck down. Every instinct says to run or jump but that seems to mean death. If you duck down, the bird will fly past you.

that's that helped me out. i passed that part and lost to the 1st boss with only 1 bar remaining on his health. i got there and did worse than the 1st attempt.

Top Bottom