• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Guzim

I'll definitely check out Rumble Fish when it comes out. I adore the Outsiders movie, but for the cast. The movie cuts so much from the book.

Ridley327

Oh wow, did I beat berzeli to this month's Arrow announcements?

15390762_1382972231736767_6117081766199878866_n.jpg

So, the House stuff is kinda confusing.

The UK set contains four films. The US set contains two films, which in this case would be the first two films with William Katt. Why that is is simply because of rights issues: Shout Factory has already put out the "third" film (titled The Horror Show), while WB has the rights to the fourth film in the US.

Real excited for the Dead or Alive trilogy, though. I haven't seen the sequels, but the first film is a nutty delight from Miike. I wonder if Arrow will keep trying to rescue more films from the Tartan library, since Kino apparently wants nothing to do with it beyond Oldboy.

berzeli

Banned
Oh wow, did I beat berzeli to this month's Arrow announcements?
Um.
Maybe?
This is a grave personal failing and I sincerely apologise to all those affected.
Real excited for the Dead or Alive trilogy, though. I haven't seen the sequels, but the first film is a nutty delight from Miike. I wonder if Arrow will keep trying to rescue more films from the Tartan library, since Kino apparently wants nothing to do with it beyond Oldboy.
I rather like how much Miike Arrow is releasing. Wasn't much of interest in their releases otherwise, they released the wrong House film.

berzeli

Banned
So what is special about arrow and ect.
Arrow Films is a UK distributor. Mainly does cinematic releases

Arrow Video is sub-label of said distributor focusing on disc media (DVD/blu ray). They mainly release horror and cult films.

Arrow Academy is another sub label focusing on disc media. But they mainly release arthouse films.

The two disc based entities release films in a manner akin to that of Criterion with new artwork, new extras, and booklets. They also do some extraordinarily fancy special editions from time to time. They also do restoration (much like Criterion), and their inhouse restoration is topnotch, like The Time Bandits where Criterion licensed the Arrow restoration, or Academy's work with Walerian Borowczyk where they saved a cinematic treasure trove for generations to come.

tl;dr: they do dope shit.

TheFlow

Banned

Arrow Video is sub-label of said distributor focusing on disc media (DVD/blu ray). They mainly release horror and cult films.

Arrow Academy is another sub label focusing on disc media. But they mainly release arthouse films.

The two disc based entities release films in a manner akin to that of Criterion with new artwork, new extras, and booklets. They also do some extraordinarily fancy special editions from time to time. They also do restoration (much like Criterion), and their inhouse restoration is topnotch, like The Time Bandits where Criterion licensed the Arrow restoration, or Academy's work with Walerian Borowczyk where they saved a cinematic treasure trove for generations to come.

well that is awesome

overcast

They posted the official art for the before trilogy on Criterion. Anyone check it out?

Don't really like the individual covers for each movie but I like the art for the box

omgkitty

It pretty much seems like the artist had a good idea for the cover and then...nothing else. I actually really like the main cover, but these are definitely what held up the cover reveal. Seems like they gave up and just went with some questionable artistic renditions of stock photos. They should have just split up the main cover into three parts to symbolize each of the three films or something. Anything but this. Whatever. I'll buy it and never look at it so it doesn't really matter that much.

Good summary, they are pretty much the main reason I bought a region free player.

Fjordson

As someone who doesn't like horror films a lot of Arrow's stuff doesn't interest me, but when they do have something in my wheelhouse (like all the Japanese crime stuff) their releases are fantastic.

lSPatY3.jpg

If we make enough of a ruckus do you think they'll change the box art? God those covers look like bad motel art. Or Google/AI making art

For anybody that bought Scream Factory's new Black Christmas release, the original 2.0 mono track has some bad semblance issues where there is quite a bit of hiss. People are pissed because the 5.1 mix features revisionist audio with replaced sound effects and music in spots where it doesn't need to be (SF didn't do this btw, this was created years back). Enough people have complained so SF has replied that they are going to make a decision on how to proceed forward on this. Hopefully it's a simple replacement program since I highly prefer the original audio.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Being There is such a good movie, man. Glad it's coming.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I knew Multiple Maniacs was coming after seeing the Janus trailer before a movie over the summer. Nice to have Waters in the collection finally. Now do Serial Mom!

berzeli

Banned
March:

April:

Also releasing in 2017
Fritz Lang's Destiny (Der Müde Tod) | sidenote: the Swedish title for the film, roughly translated as The Undefeated Death, is terrific
Drunken Master
Boxset of Buster Keaton's The General, Steamboat Bill Jr, and Sherlock Jr.

Yay! More Buster Keaton on MoC! Yay! That train derail (well, debridge) might get better gifs!
Seriously though, I'm giddy for that boxset.
Only downside is that there are two competing restorations for whatever reason. No official word on which they're going with yet.

Mumei

March:

April:

Also releasing in 2017
Fritz Lang's Destiny (Der Müde Tod) | sidenote: the Swedish title for the film, roughly translated as The Undefeated Death, is terrific
Drunken Master
Boxset of Buster Keaton's The General, Steamboat Bill Jr, and Sherlock Jr.

Yay! More Buster Keaton on MoC! Yay! That train derail (well, debridge) might get better gifs!
Seriously though, I'm giddy for that boxset.
Only downside is that there are two competing restorations for whatever reason. No official word on which they're going with yet.

oh man

I had a VHS copy of Born Free as a kid that I wore out. I have no idea if it is actually good but I am feeling super nostalgic about it now.

crustikid

I wish Dekalog was on Filmstruck. Really don't wanna throw cash down on the bluray. Really curious how they decide to add films to their streaming site. I'd assume there'd be some lag time between bluray release and when they add the restoration online.

Is 4K criterion going to be a thing? Was walking through the DVD section at bestbuy and saw a giant section of 4K blurays. Seems silly since Criterion has a good selection of Blurays.

Top Bottom