• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

TheFlow

Banned
The ones at my store always pull out the "You Criterion people" line every time I go. Honestly, it's kind of annoying.

now that is messed up.

Also guys I am really interested in these movies so give me some thoughts

Dekalog
Woman in the dunes
badlands
blood simple
blowout
Jacques Demy essential collection
Brazil

now that is messed up.

Also guys I am really interested in these movies so give me some thoughts

Dekalog
Woman in the dunes
badlands
blood simple
blowout
Jacques Demy essential collection
Brazil

Dekalog: Great, but I'd starts with the Three Colors Trilogy and The Double Life of Veronique if you don't have those yet.

Woman in the dunes: Amazing Japanese new wave allegorical hotness.

badlands: Good movie. Not as great as Days of Heaven or the incredible Thin Red Line/New World/Tree of Life run, but good.

blood simple: Great crime movie.

blowout: Really great crime movie

Brazil: Insane dystopian satire that feels like nothing else aside from other manic Terry Gilliam movies.

All worth buying. Haven't bought the Demy collection yet, so I can't speak to that.

cj_iwakura

The ones at my store always pull out the "You Criterion people" line every time I go. Honestly, it's kind of annoying.

That's sad, two different ones I've been to both had Criterion enthusiasts running the place. They were ecstatic when I told them about upcoming stuff.

TheFlow

Banned
Ty Net and Put. Put what do you mean by the La la land comment. does his movies inspire that film?

The cashier at B&N would not shutup about Demy and his collection.

I had no idea what Blowout was till she told me about so I am glad to know you like it as well.

So far confirmed buys:

Demy
blowout
blood simple.

It feels like all I ever watch from Criterion is Japanese based movies so I am trying to branch out.

Guzim

I bought Dreams and Punch-Drunk Love today. Has there been any talks of bring Hard Eight to blu-ray? It's the only of PTA's films I don't own or haven't seen.

Credo

I'm in the same boat as TheFlow. I've been working on my collection for a little while, and the majority of it is Japanese. I've gotten all the Kurosawa films except Dodes'ka-den, which I know nothing about, and then I have the Samurai Trilogy. Outside of the Japanese stuff, I have Godzilla, Eraserhead, Videodrome, the Trilogia del Guillermo del Toro, Dr. Strangelove, Solaris, and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

For those of you who have kept up with Criterion over many years now, what are some some of the more widely-acclaimed films that I should look into? I love horror and anything psychological, but I also enjoy sci-fi, action, and comedy too. I'm not averse to any genre really.

I'm in the same boat as TheFlow. I've been working on my collection for a little while, and the majority of it is Japanese. I've gotten all the Kurosawa films except Dodes'ka-den, which I know nothing about, and then I have the Samurai Trilogy. Outside of the Japanese stuff, I have Godzilla, Eraserhead, Videodrome, the Trilogia del Guillermo del Toro, Dr. Strangelove, Solaris, and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

For those of you who have kept up with Criterion over many years now, what are some some of the more widely-acclaimed films that I should look into? I love horror and anything psychological, but I also enjoy sci-fi, action, and comedy too. I'm not averse to any genre really.

Eyes Without a Face?

Fjordson

Peep their French releases. Lots of good stuff.

Breathless, Rififi, Rules of the Game, etc.

Credo

Thanks for the recommendations. I just went through a complete list of releases for the first time, and I'm part excited and part sad because I found something like 35 to 40 that interest me. Of those, the first I'm definitely getting will be 12 Angry Men because that's one of my favorite films. Then there are a few I'm really tempted by like Mulholland Drive, Time Bandits, Brazil, and Watership Down. The ones I'm not quite sure about are films I've heard about but never seen, like Tokyo Story, Le Samourai, Fantastic Planet, City Lights, and Le Cage aux Folles.

Also, it kind of boggled my mind to see Robocop had a Criterion release. Never ever would've guessed that.

TheFlow

Banned
Sorry for the cross post. I posted these in the movie thread of the month, but since we talked about Bergman here might as well share my thoughts. Kept thinking about Persona that I ended up posting on the subreddit about it. Film is making me go cray

Persona

My first Bergman film, and probably one of the most hard to understand films I have ever watched. Gave me more of a challenge than La Dolce Vita. Visually stunning for a film of its time. The long pauses on a character faces stays in your head. Honestly if I didn't look up a lot of reviews and explanations I would have no idea what this film was about. Once I figured it out I felt dumb. Elisabeth is basically the real character and Alma is her subconscious at work. Elisabeth has shutdown due to all the terrible events in the world, the lack of love in her marriage, and an unwanted child. Elisabeth is the person the world wants her to be and Alma is who she really is and wanted to be. The movie is a tug of war between the two. Alma eventually wins and the end is as if Elisabeth doesn't exist.

At least I think that is what happens. Either way this was solid artistic film that is worth a watch. Still kinda confused and might give it a second watch. The first 5 minutes of the film is also jarring but as the film progresses it makes some sense.

4/5

In the mood for love

A beautiful movie that is a modern classic. Visually stunning with a great theme song that sticks in your head. Great shots all around that truly capture that loneliness feel. This is a an unusual romance movie because of how subtle and held back it is. The use of restraint in each scene while still being stylish is a feat. The two characters are bound together by a heartbreak that latter transpires into a silent love. I always wondered why this movie was considered one of the best movies of the 21st century and now I know why. I think this is must watch because it captures something that you won't see in a regular romance film. Best film I would compare this to is Yi Yi.

4/5

So far I would put Yi Yi above this. in the mood for love was excellent but didn't hit me as hard as some other dramas I have seen.

berzeli

Banned
Should be coming within like the next 5 years or something. Wasn't there a clue recently?
It's on Filmstruck. It will come eventually. Just gotta be patient.
Isn't Le Samouraï with Studiocanal (and by extension Lionsgate)? On Filmstruck is there any company info, and/or which companies have production logos on that version?

Would love to see a non fucked up version of that film on blu. Actually I'd happily take any Melville they're willing to release.

cj_iwakura

Isn't Le Samouraï with Studiocanal (and by extension Lionsgate)? On Filmstruck is there any company info, and/or which companies have production logos on that version?

Would love to see a non fucked up version of that film on blu. Actually I'd happily take any Melville they're willing to release.

Is there an existing bad version or something?

berzeli

Banned
Huh, you're right. I thought it was a Léon Morin, Priest situation.
Is there an existing bad version or something?
Feast your eyes and despair (make sure you click it for fullsize):
uYW4jjW.jpg

note: they did release a "fixed" version as well, but it is not very good either

The Jon Brion interview on the PDL disc is astonishing.

Between this and that Blood Simple telestrator commentary, Criterion is doing the best work they've ever done.

TheFlow

Banned
yea the lady snowblood transfer is wayy to bright for some reason. like I would of noticed it without even reading this thread. like some scenes I appreciate the added brightness but other scenes I can't even read the damn text.

solid movie though. not sure why every samurai movie has to have blood flowing like a raging waterfall.

berzeli

Banned
It's really not. As the article states "Criterion ... turned this cult foreign hit into a massively popular Criterion fright fest".
Hausu is very popular amongst the criterionistas, I'm actually more surprised that Do the Right Thing is on that list than Hausu. Nothing on that list is even remotely surprising, it essentially is "baby's first arthouse - the list" (note: I do not say that to diminish the quality of those films but rather illustrate that they are fairly mainstream/accessible choices)

If anything, Pan's Labyrinth and Do The Right Thing are the odd picks. I don't associate either of them with Criterion's branding.

EDIT: Strangelove either.

Steamlord

Well both of those were already popular movies before they even became criterion.

I think that's the point. Criterion brought House into the light in the West, so we kind of associate it with Criterion.

And I mean, House is the only film that has an official Criterion T-shirt.

TheFlow

Banned
I think that's the point. Criterion brought House into the light in the West, so we kind of associate it with Criterion.

And I mean, House is the only film that has an official Criterion T-shirt.

well damn. I knew it was popular, but didn't know it was popular due to Criterion. The cover is very iconic.

edit: just bought a 3ds. so my criterion spurge is over.

berzeli

Banned
The Eureka/MoC Black Friday sale is live (and awesome)!
Unfortunately there isn't a list of everything on sale yet, this is a possibly incomplete list I stole (and corrected) from blu-ray.com:
The official list is below. Can't overstate how good these deals are
£5.00

The Adventures of Mark Twain (DVD)
The Adventures of Mark Twain (Blu-ray)
Boomerang Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition
City Of Women (Masters of Cinema) (DVD)
Computer Chess (Masters Of Cinema) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition
Der Golem (DVD)
Dr Mabuse Der Spieler (Masters Of Cinema) (Blu-ray) SteelBook edition
Faccia A Faccia (Face To Face) (DVD)
Giorgio Moroder's Metropolis (DVD) SteelBook
Forty Guns (Masters Of Cinema) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition
The Gospel According To Matthew (Masters Of Cinema) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition
Guilty of Romance (Masters of Cinema) (Blu-ray)
I Clowns (Masters Of Cinema) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition
If... (Masters Of Cinema) (Blu-ray)
John Dies At The End (DVD)
Munchhausen (DVD)
The Naked Island (Masters of Cinema) (DVD)
The Other Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD)
The Rocket (Blu-ray)
Rogopag (Masters Of Cinema) (DVD)
Serpico (Masters Of Cinema) (Blu-ray)
Simon Killer (Masters Of Cinema) (DVD)
Simon Killer (Masters Of Cinema) (Blu-ray)
Too Late Blues (Masters Of Cinema) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition
Van Gogh (Masters Of Cinema) (Blu-ray)
White Dog (Masters of Cinema) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD)

£6.99:

The Birth of a Nation (Masters of Cinema) (DVD)
Pick Up on South Street (Masters of Cinema) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD)
Silence (Masters of Cinema) (DVD)
Tabu (Masters of Cinema) (DVD)

£7.99:

Day of The Outlaw (Masters of Cinema) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition
Dragon Inn (Masters of Cinema) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition
Harold & Maude (Masters of Cinema) (Blu-ray)
Kiss Of The Damned (Blu-ray)
Les Miserables (Masters of Cinema) (Blu-ray)
A New Leaf (Masters of Cinema) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition
The Offence (Masters Of Cinema) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition
Rocco & His Brothers (Masters of Cinema) (DVD)
Satyricon (Masters Of Cinema) (Blu-ray)
Stalag 17 (Masters of Cinema) (Blu-ray)
Some amazing deals in there (and free worldwide shipping!), so if you live in region B land or have a region B/free player you should take a look.

Top Bottom