• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

I felt like

543fed52268ede434320709d0755ed0f.gif

TheFlow

Banned
Persona was such a risky buy for me. First Bergman film. Lady Snow Blood was a must buy after the rave reviews. Plus I a love a good revenge film(s)

Persona was such a risky buy for me. First Bergman film. Lady Snow Blood was a must buy after the rave reviews. Plus I a love a good revenge film(s)

I think Persona is a great first choice. It changed cinema in many ways and it's very accessible in comparison to say, Wild Strawberries. If you like it make sure to watch the supplementals. There's a great video essay in there.

TheFlow

Banned
hugocésar;224842098 said:
I think Persona is a great first choice. It changed cinema in many ways and it's very accessible in comparison to say, Wild Strawberries. If you like it make sure to watch the supplementals. There's a great video essay in there.

will do. I am going to have to post impressions when I finish my pile.

I saw Wild Strawberries after Persona and I disagree that Persona is more accessible or a better place to start. Persona is experimental and a sort of climax of Bergman's technique and monologues to that point. I can absolutely see it putting people off if they don't know what they're getting into.

It's amazing though, I just always feel that it can be appreciated more with some build up, rather than popping your Bergman cherry with it.

I saw Wild Strawberries after Persona and I disagree that Persona is more accessible or a better place to start. Persona is experimental and a sort of climax of Bergman's technique and monologues to that point. I can absolutely see it putting people off if they don't know what they're getting into.

It's amazing though, I just always feel that it can be appreciated more with some build up, rather than popping your Bergman cherry with it.

You might be right. Seventh Seal was my first, but I just remember being about seventeen when I first watched it and being very confused. Summer with Monika is also one of my favorites. I think Autumn Sonata is tremendous, and Cries and Whispers is very impressive. If there's one Bergman film that just didn't do it for me, it would be Smiles of a Summer Night (The Magician is a close second).

Also, forgot to mention that I just watched my blu ray copy of Woman in the Dunes (the picture quality is one of the best in recent years). I started reading Kōbō Abe's books in the past two years, and he's quickly become one of my favorites. This is the first of his adaptions that I've watched and man, what a remarkable fucking film it is. I was worried that it wouldn't translate very well, because he writes in a very internal and essay-like manner, but the film is just as claustrophobic and strange and unpredictable as the book. Can't wait to watch The Face of Another next.

Steamlord

Persona is my favorite movie period.

The Seventh Seal isn't perfect, but the ending is beautiful.

hugocésar;224865048 said:
Also, forgot to mention that I just watched my blu ray copy of Woman in the Dunes (the picture quality is one of the best in recent years). I started reading Kōbō Abe's books in the past two years, and he's quickly become one of my favorites. This is the first of his adaptions that I've watched and man, what a remarkable fucking film it is. I was worried that it wouldn't translate very well, because he writes in a very internal and essay-like manner, but the film is just as claustrophobic and strange and unpredictable as the book. Can't wait to watch The Face of Another next.

Such a brilliant movie.

hugocésar;224865048 said:

I saw Woman In The Dunes last year and was blown away. Such a sensual, tactile experience.

TheFlow

Banned
Baffled my B&N has everything I want including the box sets, but doesn't have a blu-ray copy of Dr.Strange Love. might order it from the website.

omgkitty

Baffled my B&N has everything I want including the box sets, but doesn't have a blu-ray copy of Dr.Strange Love. might order it from the website.

Well it's a popular title, so it makes sense non-Criterion fans would pick it up especially at half off.

TheFlow

Banned
Went to my Barnes and noble and managed to snag the last Dr.strangelove. The lady is a huge film buff so we ended up spending 15 mins talking about a lot of criterion films and ect. Went in to pick up 2 and walked out with 4

Will Post haul later

Great gets. Can't wait for the Filmstruck Apple TV app already. I watched The Executioner off my phone using airplay to my tv and had a lot of issues getting it to play right. Great film. A ton of fun in the dark humorist ways hispanic comedy can be.

cj_iwakura

Killer's Kiss(included with The Killing) was by no means bad... just kind of bland.

Some beautiful scenes in it, though. Very maverick.

I know it's kind of a divisive movie on here, but does anyone have Criterion's release of Boyhood? Worth it?

The movie was extremely nostalgic for me since I grew up in the same era as Mason.

cj_iwakura

Went to my Barnes and noble and managed to snag the last Dr.strangelove. The lady is a huge film buff so we ended up spending 15 mins talking about a lot of criterion films and ect. Went in to pick up 2 and walked out with 4

Will Post haul later
In my experience, B&N staff in that area always know their films.

Had to buy like 500$ worth of tires and an extra 200$ in rotors and brake pads so I went and bought Dr Strangelove, inside llewyn Davis and easy rider. Yolo

Top Bottom