• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

bounchfx

fucking hell. spent the last 40 minutes trying to buy this on the online store.

at first I notice I don't have enough space, so I delete everything I could find. Yet I only have 22/55 free. wtf? find some really REALLY old game installs I didn't even know existed, now I have 45/55, great, should be enough.

I go to the store, try to buy, card is outdated. how do I update my card? the fuck? I say I dont want to use that card and it just boots me out. another 5 minutes of looking around every menu I can find. Fix the info. Great. go to buy. Error. Error. Cannot add funds. Error 2. Error.

fuck you sony.

This is all before the painfully slow 2 day download and install, only because my disc drive doesn't even work so I can't buy the game from a store.

rgjlfdjgfdsh

Replicant

Or... you could be happy the game saw a localization at all and stop port begging.

Tell him.

I didn't think so. Sorry if that is how you feel. I just don't like people calling me out for port begging when I am honestly just making conversation. I don't need some ridiculous ban for something I am not even doing. I don't need to comment on it anymore it's all fine as far as I am concerned.

Oh boo fucking hoo. They call you on it because it sounds like it. Plus, it's getting fucking annoying to read you whining on and on about this when I get into the thread hoping to see snippets of other people's experience with the game.

i ran the 6GB file while the 15GB was still downloading. just gave me an error saying the game wasn't installed correctly and told me to restart.

I have a bit of a dilemma....I am about to finish Persona 3 FES (major backlog), and also White Knight Chronicles. I was looking to the start Persona 4 Golden on Vita or WK2, but I was thinking about picking this up instead. What would everyone recommend?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So, yeah, today ended in dismal failure. I went back to the Target after work, and was helped by a different person, who said that they did have Ni No Kuni in stock, but they only had 2 copies, and they sold out. The chick earlier in the day just didn't bother to check the back, where the guy said he saw them earlier.

So, I resolve to go to Gamestop on the way home, but I missed the stop, so I couldn't go there (didn't want to buy from Gamestop anyway, but I would have, just to get this game). Me and my wife walked to the Target near my house, and, yup, they only got two copies of the game, and were sold out.

I ended up placing the order with Amazon just now, and should get the game by Friday. :/

I'm so annoyed right now. Lame, lame way to end my day.

Eyothrie

Strange question here.. Has anyone noticed a hissing sound at the end of battles when the splash screen appears showing exp and gp gain? I'm set up with 5.1 Dolby Digital, and I can especially hear the hissing out of the surround speakers. Once the battle ends and I'm on the overworld map, the hissing goes away. So strange!

So, yeah, today ended in dismal failure. I went back to the Target after work, and was helped by a different person, who said that they did have Ni No Kuni in stock, but they only had 2 copies, and they sold out. The chick earlier in the day just didn't bother to check the back, where the guy said he saw them earlier.

So, I resolve to go to Gamestop on the way home, but I missed the stop, so I couldn't go there (didn't want to buy from Gamestop anyway, but I would have, just to get this game). Me and my wife walked to the Target near my house, and, yup, they only got two copies of the game, and were sold out.

I ended up placing the order with Amazon just now, and should get the game by Friday. :/

I'm so annoyed right now. Lame, lame way to end my day.

i think 2 copies for any target is the number. that's how many i had too. lol.

TriAceJP

Mo' like, Wrath of the White Glitch! I keep getting lock-ups!

Naaaaaamcoooo!!!!!

I need to finish Persona 4 Golden anyway. Even so, the game is beautiful. I was pretty into it :(

IMACOMPUTA

Barely into it because Ive taken so much time being baked and soaking in the world, but jesus christ. If you grew up in the prime Squaresoft era of the 90's, then this is your cup of tea laced with every sprinkle of pure awesome. fuck nostalgia. this is the real deal all over again.

This has me unreasonably hyped to play. I don't think its possible for a game to meet the expectations i've just created for myself by reading this post, but god I hope so.

I have a bit of a dilemma....I am about to finish Persona 3 FES (major backlog), and also White Knight Chronicles. I was looking to the start Persona 4 Golden on Vita or WK2, but I was thinking about picking this up instead. What would everyone recommend?

Maybe finish P3 Fes first before starting up on Ni no Kuni? I don't know about WK2, but P4 Golden is likely as long as P3 so you should probably start that after Ni no Kuni (which I hear will take 40 hours to complete if you don't need to complete sidequests?)

TheExodu5

Banned
And who the hell is port begging? And who the hell would I be begging to in a fucking GAF thread lofl? As if anybody here is going to get this game to Steam. Absolutely obnoxious. I didn't beg one damn time for anything. I said this game deserves to be on other systems and responded to somebody else.

As much as I would like this game to come to PC, this thread doesn't seem like the place to discuss that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I recommend going for Ni no Kuni first then Persona 4 Golden. NNK is shorter (40 hrs for main, 80 hrs for platinum) whereas P4G is incredibly engrossing and can be completed in 70 hours (100 hrs for platinum).

fallingdove

I am loving the game so far. The battle system is very satisfying. I particularly like the cancel mechanic. It makes for some great poke strategy while you wait to defend big attacks.

Localization is pretty great too. I expected the story to be the least interesting aspect of the game given other level 5 games that I have played but this one is pretty good.

I didn't plan on playing as long as I have today but 7 hours in and I am still going strong.

zeopower6

Wow so uh, someone at GameFAQs (D Ray300) dug around their copy of the game's disc and well... found out some interesting tidbits about the in-game Wizard's Companion.

There are 340 pages, plus something called the trick page which is a really interesting two page image with a different art style from almost everything else that looks to have something hidden in it. I'm guessing that it will make more sense with some in game content. Total, the book weighs in at 1.4 GB of pngs about 500 MB of which is actually the index pages, which are bloody huge (9600x5400).

That is one big book. Also the 'trick page' sounds intriguing.

He posted an image of the map (potential spoilers) on the Images tab over at GFAQs.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/images/screen-1

I am loving the game so far. The battle system is very satisfying. I particularly like the cancel mechanic. It makes for some great poke strategy while you wait to defend big attacks.

Localization is pretty great too. I expected the story to be the least interesting aspect of the game given other level 5 games that I have played but this one is pretty good.

I didn't plan on playing as long as I have today but 7 hours in and I am still going strong.

i can just imagine myself doing cancels and switching characters and familiars around. ahhhhh...it's not gonna be played-out combat and more like an srpg with timer. aaaaahhhhhhhhh....

QaaQer

I didn't think so. Sorry if that is how you feel. I just don't like people calling me out for port begging when I am honestly just making conversation. I don't need some ridiculous ban for something I am not even doing. I don't need to comment on it anymore it's all fine as far as I am concerned. When the price drops I might even pick this up as it seems so many seem to enjoy the heck out of it. I didn't hate the demo or anything. It's just after so much time on Steam it gets confusing as to what you are bothered by and what you are okay with. Take Steam out and I still felt the same way 3 years ago about my phat PS3 RIP.

dude, you come into an OT and say shit like "the games visuals make me nauseous, what is this crap" or whatever. And it is almost the exact same wording as you used at B3D 3 weeks ago. Calling you abrasive is being kind.

Picked up Ni No Kuni after class, absolutely can't wait. Didn't bother with trade in promos or anything, just straight cash. JRPG from Level 5 and animation from Studio Ghibli? Sold.

Looking forward to reading and sharing impressions with the lot of you, probably gonna fire it up tomorrow evening.

jwk94

Hey guys, I'm kinda stuck. I just got into the first dungeon
the one where you need to find the King Meowjesty
. So I'm roaming around - side note: screw the spawn system. There's no reason enemies should respawn after you turn a corner. Anyway, I light up the first set of torches, now I'm at the second set and don't know what to do. I light up all three but the door doesn't open? Am I supposed to light them up really quick or something?

Oh God this sounds right up my alley, but no money right now for a new game. Is this going to be like an Atlus limited print deal where you are fucked if you don't buy it first week of release? How does this compare to DQVIII? I loved that game. I shouldn't complain. My backlog is annoyingly huge and it will probably be April before I finish Far Cry 3 because of OCD/no time to play games these days.

. So I'm roaming around - side note: screw the spawn system. There's no reason enemies should respawn after you turn a corner. Anyway, I light up the first set of torches, now I'm at the second set and don't know what to do. I light up all three but the door doesn't open? Am I supposed to light them up really quick or something?

Light up the second one first, then the third, then the first in this order. It kinda sucks that doing this causes lost of MP but it kinda reminds me of old JRPG's that did that, which I like.

EDIT: I'm sorry if I'm screwing up the game by answering this question, but I didn't know how to do spoiler tags. Could someone tell me how to?

jiggle

now I'm at the second set and don't know what to do. I light up all three but the door doesn't open? Am I supposed to light them up really quick or something?

if u're talking about the puzzle i saw in a preview video
you must light the one above a ledge 2nd, then jump off the ledge and light the last one

jwk94

Light up the second one first, then the third, then the first in this order. It kinda sucks that doing this causes lost of MP but it kinda reminds me of old JRPG's that did that, which I like.

if u're talking about the puzzle i saw in a preview video
you must light the one above a ledge 2nd, then jump off the ledge and light the last one

Thanks guys! Wish they had made it more obvious or at least in the book....actually, I still need to read that book.

Cousteau

Walked into a Gamestop today and the guy said he had a bunch of copies and could get me a collectors edition if I wanted.I said I might buy a vita and dude went into overdrive selling that thing .so much so I forgot about Ni no Kuni until I was halfway home.

The Lamp

fucking hell. spent the last 40 minutes trying to buy this on the online store.

at first I notice I don't have enough space, so I delete everything I could find. Yet I only have 22/55 free. wtf? find some really REALLY old game installs I didn't even know existed, now I have 45/55, great, should be enough.

I go to the store, try to buy, card is outdated. how do I update my card? the fuck? I say I dont want to use that card and it just boots me out. another 5 minutes of looking around every menu I can find. Fix the info. Great. go to buy. Error. Error. Cannot add funds. Error 2. Error.

fuck you sony.

This is all before the painfully slow 2 day download and install, only because my disc drive doesn't even work so I can't buy the game from a store.

rgjlfdjgfdsh

Well if you wanna fix your disc drive I recommend Endlesselectronics.org. They're cheaper than Sony for fixing stuff like borked disc drives and will offer lifetime warranties for YLOD plus other services. I really liked using them.

This game will probably be delivered tomorrow while I'm at class >_< gaaaaah

anddo0

My new addiction

20130122_232315_zpsa7dda54e.jpg

Ricker

Same here...this is where I stopped and decided to trek all the way out because there is no saves in there,really quick respawn and puzzles that make you waste the little mana pool you have at that point in the game,trying to figure out the puzzles...still not use to the battle system yet as well so it makes it a little clunky to me..I also hate how half the time you have no time to pick up a green or blue gem on the ground because the victory screen happens really fast...

I was out of mana,no saves and always down to almost half my health after every fight...I sensed a huge fail if I ever reached whatever Boss lies at the end so I ran out hehe...still loving it though but I sense a grinder and the occasional dungeon that never ends with no saves in sight...

Walked into a Gamestop today and the guy said he had a bunch of copies and could get me a collectors edition if I wanted.I said I might buy a vita and dude went into overdrive selling that thing .so much so I forgot about Ni no Kuni until I was halfway home.

I think your one of the first stories of buying this game I heard of getting it easily. Most stories mine included, they barely had copies left. I got the last copy at my GS, and the guy said he had to order more because more people wanted it.

You are one lucky guy.

zeopower6

Did he mean the steelbook edition?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Played about 2 hours and wow what a fantastic game.

Absolutely gorgeous and the anime cutscenes just jump in there seamlessly. Whoever said there were jaggies all over this thing is just cray.

I was hyped from just picking my language with the music blaring. I definitely am going to love this game.

Anyways storywise:

Just beat the guardian of the forest. Wasn't too bad I remember them saying fire works well against plants so I was using Oliver most of the time to finish him off quick. I'm now at Ding Dong Dell and decided to call it a night after giving that guy a heart fragment or whatever it was

I do have a question in regards to forest:

There was one treasure chest I couldn't open because it had some magic on it. Am I able to open it soon or is that something I come back for much later?

This game is what's been missing from my life. Even when removing the beautiful visuals, this has a world map, towns, command-based combat, quests, and all the other things that made this genre great. I really hope the reception this is getting causes Japanese devs to think "is it okay to make JRPGs on consoles again?". I mean I loved FFXIII and liked XIII-2, but this is REAL JRPG goodness, and as far as I'm aware, the only command-based one with a world map on the HD consoles..

Wunder

So I'm roaming around - side note: screw the spawn system. There's no reason enemies should respawn after you turn a corner.

Blargh! Yeah, this is my only gripe about the game so far - there are respawns so often and it makes me feel like not exploring every nook of the dungeon, which you should do because you can find some neat stuff. ;;

There was one treasure chest I couldn't open because it had some magic on it. Am I able to open it soon or is that something I come back for much later?

Yes you get a spell pretty quick and you can go back and collect it. Seems like there are ascending levels of chests and you have to learn new magic or something to get through it. Already found another chest I can't open with the current spell I have.

Leunam

God damn. Really enjoying the hell out of this game and nearly everything it's had to offer so far. I went in having not watched any trailers and seeing maybe four or five screenshots at the most and I'm having a blast. The combat is deeper than I thought it would be and everything looks absolutely stunning.

Stopped after getting my third familiar and the third boss. Almost want to cancel the night out with the guys tomorrow just so I can come straight home to play.

1stStrike

Banned
Same here...this is where I stopped and decided to trek all the way out because there is no saves in there,really quick respawn and puzzles that make you waste the little mana pool you have at that point in the game,trying to figure out the puzzles.

Well, I can see that this game is probably going to piss me off and I'll likely be playing it infrequently while everything that doesn't induce aneurysms with outdated gaming mechanics is being released.

Top Bottom