• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Ok, I kind of have a problem with this game already. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can see why someone says it can be hard.

The thing is that enemies have these special attacks that are DAMAGING. Like they can knock 30% of your health sometimes. You see them powering up, and you want to use defend, but it seems impossible. You have MAYBE 2 seconds to cancel your attack, use the dpad to switch over to defend, press defend. It happens in real time, so by the time you can hit defend, you've already been hit with the special attack.

There doesn't seem to be anyway to pause the action when you seem them powering up to choose defend.

That's my problem with the battle system also. This occurs especially when it's 2 vs 1 battle's. I usually try to hit defend but it's usually to late by then. I usually just take the hits and immediately use Oliver and heal up if I'm in critical health. Oliver usually have so much MP that it's not all that bad to use Healing Touch as much as you want.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm excited to buy this on Friday. I'm hoping the EB's around my area have it in stock or else I'll have to purchase it on psn.

TEJ

I'm at the part right after you get
the wand from the cat king, now in the mushroom forest. When exactly do I get to recruit familiars?

That's my problem with the battle system also. This occurs especially when it's 2 vs 1 battle's. I usually try to hit defend but it's usually to late by then. I usually just take the hits and immediately use Oliver and heal up if I'm in critical health. Oliver usually have so much MP that it's not all that bad to use Healing Touch as much as you want.

you can always press L1 to "pause" the gameplay and recollect your thoughts.

Beren

Why are there 2 downloads?

I wanna know too one is 5967MB which started 1st and the other one 16Gb (pending) i am now confused and scared, do i need to download them in a certain order? i don't really want to download that mammoth again D:

Who am I? why am i here? confuluxion !

I don't have the game yet but i believe square is an "all defend" button, maybe it is faster than selecting defend? i might be talking nonsense tho D:

Mikey Jr.

uhhh..you can use L2/R2 to scroll through menus, so you can use the left analog stick to move and L2/R2 to scroll menus.

Ok, thanks. That alleviates a bit of the problem.

Using l2/r2 like the poster said above, keep your finger on the cancel button, and on the L2 button.

If you see someone powering up, press cancel, press l2, then press x. Seems to work a bit better for me.

Aeana said:
I just bought the PSN version even though I have the Wizard's Edition coming.
Possibly sick.

Don't feel bad.. I did the same.. but with a physical copy.. I don't want to wait 7 hours for a slow PSN download..

Spacebar

Holy shit the first boss rocked my world. Looks like I gotta do a little grinding before I take him on again. Thank you Based God for bringing out a good console jrpg this gen!

jwk94

I wanna know too one is 5967MB which started 1st and the other one 16Gb (pending) i am now confused and scared, do i need to download them in a certain order? i don't really want to download that mammoth again D:

Who am I? why am i here? confuluxion !

Special DLC maybe?

Eusis

I still think the download's split into game and DLC/Patches/whatever. Almost certainly not purely arbitrary given stuff like SSF4AE and Infamous 2 are single big files.

chifanpoe

Just played the first hour of the game with my 6 and 2 year old daughters watching, we were all transfixed by this amazing game. So beautiful and the music and voices are great as well. My kids love Drippy!

zeopower6

I still think the download's split into game and DLC/Patches/whatever. Almost certainly not purely arbitrary given stuff like SSF4AE and Infamous 2 are single big files.

Could be since the All in One Edition is the normal game + all free DLC that was released. No idea how large those were though.

Goli

download goes much faster if you don't do Background download fml.

I'm doing background download and it's 43% done. I'm not sure if that's slow, for most people it most likely is but it seems fast enough for me considering it's over wifi and that I'm pretty far from NA.

Beren

I'm doing background download and it's 43% done. I'm not sure if that's slow, for most people it most likely is but it seems fast enough for me considering it's over wifi and that I'm pretty far from NA.
That is crazy fast! i am at 2% from the 1st 5967Mb file aka 180mb lol!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I kinda want my own real-life Mr. Drippy now.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm amazed by how many pages the wizard book has when you first get it. I spent an hour reading the entire thing.

Durante

Don't think so. I downloaded SSF4 recently and that's in one piece (22.8gb?).
Well, so much for that theory. Then I subscribe to the base game + Japanese DLC / localization data school of thought. Though why you wouldn't repack that is a mystery.

you can always press L1 to "pause" the gameplay and recollect your thoughts.

Even though this tip is simple, I wasn't doing this for some reason. I always charged into battle and just let things flow. At least now I'm able to recollect and get my thoughts ready, thanks.

I don't have the game yet but i believe square is an "all defend" button, maybe it is faster than selecting defend? i might be talking nonsense tho D:

I tried to press square during mid-battle but nothing happened. Maybe that's a later ability or something.

Using l2/r2 like the poster said above, keep your finger on the cancel button, and on the L2 button.

If you see someone powering up, press cancel, press l2, then press x. Seems to work a bit better for me.

I didn't know that L2/R2 did that. In the tutorial for the fighting system all they say is press the directional buttons to select and X to confirm, they never mentioned pressing those. Now I'm defending much faster, and selecting faster too.

Thanks people, my battle's are going smoothly now.

you close to your router? my walls are terrible. i remember this affected the wii u and gamepad. ;( and my router is further from me.

Beren

Could the game be 6Gb and 16gb of languaje files (movies etc in different languajes)? or is it too much nonsense? :s

Aeana

I always background download PSN stuff. Right now it seems to be going about 2mb/s for me on average, though obviously that is a very rough estimate just based on how quickly the number is moving. I'm at 44% of the larger file right now after about an hour and a half.

Goli

you close to your router? my walls are terrible. i remember this affected the wii u and gamepad. ;( and my router is further from me.

I'm about 13 feet away from my router and there's a wall with a door (open) in between.
Also when I said 43% I was talking about the 16 GB file. 54% now!

1stStrike

Banned
Hah, I bought it off the PSN just for convenience so I don't have to open my CE when it gets here. Having not used the PS3 in about 6 months I figured the downloads would be quicker by now - nope. At this rate, it'll take me two full days to download the game lol.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm staring at my unopened copy, stressing about wether I should send it back to Amazon or just open it...not because I won't like it, but because I'll have so little time to play it that by the time I actually get around to it, it might be much cheaper :(

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
The spell system could have really benefited if it used the PlayStation Move. I mean, I'm guessing the stylus was used to cast spells in the DS version, why not use the PlayStation Move as a wand as well? At least not mandatory, but for those who wanted more inversion into the game.

I'm loving the game so far, though.

I just realized that the first trophy I got in the game is called "Out of this World". I don't know if that's an intentional reference to the other Another World, but it sure as hell seems like it. Nice little nod, if so.

Aeana

I knew Richard Honeywood worked on this. It just seemed way too much like his style to be a coincidence. I'm pretty pleased about that.

Alucrid

Banned
Oh man, oh man, oh man. This is the jrpg I've been waiting for. I've had a huge smile on my face the entire way through the first hour+ or so. Drippy is great. His VA is great. Everything is great. Even you gaf are great at this moment.

Some spoilers about an hour in...

I named my familiar Don. He looks like a Don.

These fucking monster names. "Teeny Bopper" made me crack up.

Beren

I don't want to use any guide or look at internet stuff, so i have a few questions (if anyone feels like answering) and sorry to bother :3

1.Are there any missables?
besides the zombi zeopower 6 mentioned before? and ty
2.If i evolve/feed a familiar wrong can i fix it? or in the case of Mar Mite can i catch another? i don't wanna mess him up :(
3.Anything else i should know?

Ty in advance and sorry to bother :)

Top Bottom