• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Gamescom to be focused on the PS4's lineup

Donos

so what was that thingy about Gamescom being a 'Vita' show

Sorry, who in their mind would focus on the Vita, when you have a main console coming in a couple of month.
It's still possible that the Vita will have a good showing and i bet there will be hundreds of Vita displays for visitors but it would be really a waste to divert many resources to the Vita. It's an awesome handheld which came to late into the indudstry.
PS4 doesn't have to fight smartphones/iPhone/Tablets.

Excellent.
Agreed.

CCF6Xf4.png

yon61

It's not that Sony doesn't care for the Vita, they just know that it's pretty much dead and by desperately trying to salvage it they'll only be hurting themselves financially and jeopardizing the PS4.

Aeana

Jeez, it doesn't mean they won't show any Vita games. Seriously, it's almost embarrassing how some people overreact.

The reaction is because of this quote:

"It's all about momentum. It's about showcasing PS4 in all its glorified beauty and it's not just the console. It's about the titles, it's about the games, it's about the independent titles. It's also about PS3, it's also about PS Vita. We blew it out of the park this E3 with PlayStation 4 but PS Vita has so much more to go, we've got so much more love to show at the showcase and I can safely say Gamescom is definitely going to be a PS Vita show, so you'll see."

Cidd

Lets see, focus on a console your entire company will be riding on with heavy competition launching around the same time or Focus on a handheld with a market moving to smart phones and tablets hmm...

tough choice.

Squire

Banned
So much for "the vita show"

I never understood why people gave that quote any weight.

GC is potentially going to be PS4's biggest event pre-launch. It seems clear SCEE has the lead with the console, which makes sense since House in charge.

I'm expecting 1-2 megatons.

ReaperXL7

If you were expecting the Vita to be more important then the PS4 then im not sure what to tell you. The focus being on on 4 does not automatically mean there wont be any love for the Vita.

I would not get my hope way high or anything, but Sonys consoles will always hold top importance over their handhelds so them saying the "focus" will be on PS4 is not surprising imo.

Metallix87

It's not that Sony doesn't care for the Vita, they just know that it's pretty much dead and by desperately trying to salvage it they'll only be hurting themselves financially and jeopardizing the PS4.

It's dead because they've done nothing for it since launch.

So no Vita once again?.

so what was that thingy about Gamescom being a 'Vita' show

Came to post this. Wtf really.

RIP PS Vita.

Fully Obsoleted.

Really guys? Sony has a new console coming out this year. Why would the main focus be the Vita? The Vita will have games there of course. We already know the big games coming to Vita this year. I don't understand why people think the main focus should be the Vita at GamesCom when the PS4 launch is a few months away.

Spiderduff

I feel bad for Vita owners. Its always "Wait for [insert gaming event]." Then it passes and you guys fall back to " well we got great indie surpport." Hold your head up high guys! You will prevail!

I hate to say it but I think both companies will just show new trailers of previously announced games.I do not see them announcing any new games.I sure do hope I'm wrong.

The reaction is because of this quote:

Code:
"It's all about momentum. It's about showcasing PS4 in all its glorified beauty
and it's not just the console. It's about the titles, it's about the games, it's about
the independent titles. It's also about PS3, it's also about PS Vita. We blew it out
of the park this E3 with PlayStation 4 but PS Vita has so much more to go, we've
got so much more love to show at the showcase and I can safely say Gamescom
is definitely going to be a PS Vita show, so you'll see."

Clearly, Sony has changed their mind from E3 on promoting the PS Vita further.

They really seem hell-bent on transforming it into a niche indie platform + PS4 controller.

People really believed that the vita would be the focus of gamescom? That thing is dead and hasn't been the focus of any sony show since it launched.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You're all going to eat your words when Sony have a pretty decent showing for their best platform. I'm sure both systems will have a decent show.

Squire

Banned
Probably because they actually believed that Sony would talk about games for the Vita at some point.

Well, I think they will at GC. They'll throw some in a montage and do the same with PS3.

I was more specifically referring to the part at the end of the quote about it being "a Vita show" implying there's going to be emphasis on the platform. In the same year they're launching PS4? And Vita is already tanking? Not likely.

Hoo-doo

Banned
People thinking this was going to be a "Vita show" were being pretty delusional from the get-go.

I mean, Sony is launching the 4th iteration of the fucking Playstation at the end of the year. You can bet they are going to maximize it's exposure every chance they get, and they should.

Anyway, this doesn't mean that there won't be new shit for Vita. It's just not the main event.
Imagine if it really was going to be a "Vita only show", this board would go into a complete meltdown of disappointment. The PS4 is hot and Sony knows it.

SmokyDave

Well, at least I can look back on the Vita and feel that it was never given a chance. I suppose that's better than Sony aggressively pushing the device and it still failing. I suppose this way I can ruminate on what might have been.

People thinking this was going to be a "Vita show" were being pretty delusional from the get-go.

I mean, Sony is launching the 4th iteration of the fucking Playstation at the end of the year. You can bet they are going to maximize it's exposure every chance they get, and they should.

Anyway, this doesn't mean that there won't be new shit for Vita. It's just not the main event.
Imagine if it really was going to be a "Vita only show", this board would go into a complete meltdown of disappointment. The PS4 is hot and Sony knows it.
It was Sony that said it was going to be a Vita show. You can't call people 'delusional' for listening to 'em.

Well, you can, because 'delusional' has lost all meaning over the last few months. It's just a buzzword now.

yon61

It's dead because they've done nothing for it since launch.

Sony overestimate their first party selling power massively, they were probably banking on Uncharted:GA and Gravity Rush to give the Vita its first crucial bearings in the market. They just aren't Nintendo

rvy

Banned
I think you guys are setting yourselves up for a huge disappointment if you think you're gonna see some unannounced groundbreaking shit for PS4.

Metallix87

Sony overestimate their first party selling power massively, they were probably banking on Uncharted:GA and Gravity Rush to give the Vita its first crucial bearings in the market. They just aren't Nintendo

That's still irrelevant. They've got big IPs that could appeal to the handheld consumer (Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Legend of Dragoon, Dark Cloud), but they refuse to utilize those IPs properly to help the device that needs support the most.

Top Bottom