• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLayStation VR listed on three swiss site for price between 450€-500€

yyr

I have bought a PS4 next besides my PC. After finishing Bloodborne It's been put in the closet until Uncharted 4 releases. After i finish that game the PS4 will go in the closet again or serve as a phone charger.

Then you are not the target market.

WadeitOut

People keep using this "target market" argument. But if the target market isn't the mainstream, a new technology like this isn't going to take off. And if it doesn't take off that sunk R & D isn't going to help Sony.

I get the whole "foot in the door" thing but I really don't get why any current console manufacturer would bother. Let the PC market do the heavy lifting until you get a product with the hardware to properly do it.

vpance

It's extremely hard to market VR. The marketing relies significantly on word-of-mouth experiences. And even at $300, that's a pretty big ask for something most people have no experience with.

I think people will be surprised (in a good way) by the price the same way they were with the Vita and PS4.

I think you're forgetting to factor in the core PS users, the ones that rebuy systems and slims and who were in at launch. They alone will make up at least 2-3M sold IMO.

klaushm

People keep using this "target market" argument. But if the target market isn't the mainstream, a new technology like this isn't going to take off. And if it doesn't take off that sunk R & D isn't going to help Sony.

They keep using because of adoption curve:
DiffusionOfInnovation.png

And the smartphones adoption curve for comparison:

New tech needs time.

Then you are not the target market.
Fuck off lol. You said a lot of PC gamers switched to PS4. That's false. Many PC gamers bought a PS4 while PC remains their main platform. Seems like you are not the target market because you keep begging for cheap products for 'the mass' not knowing anything about enthousiast products and early adoption.

Breakbeat

Banned
I really don't see it going any higher than $400... pricing it above the current cost of a PS4 is already going to make it a bold proposition, but retailing above the PS4's launch MSRP is gonna be suicide.

Mindlog

I get the whole "foot in the door" thing but I really don't get why any current console manufacturer would bother. Let the PC market do the heavy lifting until you get a product with the hardware to properly do it.
What is the mainstream? Give me a rough estimate.
The mainstream bought roughly 48 million iPhones last quarter. How on earth would Sony reach those numbers?

They keep using because of adoption curve:

And the smartphones adoption curve for comparison:

New tech needs time.

While I agree with this, Sony's not in a position to cater to an "enthusiast market". They're going to push the product as cheaply as they can, and then pursue cost reduction from there. Because the hardware is fixed places them in a different metric.

The PS5 and whatever it's capabilities are will be the next step in that curve obviously.

Edit: Upon rereading my post, I don't think it makes any damn sense lol.

Rainer70

I really don't see it going any higher than $400... pricing it above the current cost of a PS4 is already going to make it a bold proposition, but retailing above the PS4's launch MSRP is gonna be suicide.

I'm gonna have to agree with this. Andrew House said that PSVR will be priced as a new gaming platform. The Vita is a gaming platform, and I remember when that was known as NGP people were expecting it to be a lot more than $250.

I think we're gonna see a similar situation here in that it won't be more than $400 (or $349 since that's the current MSRP) because although it is a "new gaming platform", it is still a peripheral for the PS4, and it wouldn't make much sense for it to cost more than the device needed to use it.

Symbiotx

I suspect around $400, and I don't think that's asking too much. I'm really excited to see VR launch and what everyone thinks about it.

klaushm

While I agree with this, Sony's not in a position to cater to an "enthusiast market". They're going to push the product as cheaply as they can, and then pursue cost reduction from there. Because the hardware is fixed places them in a different metric.

The PS5 and whatever it's capabilities are will be the next step in that curve obviously.

Edit: Upon rereading my post, I don't think it makes any damn sense lol.

Hahaha. Yup. I think it was fine till PS5 :p
Hopes for them to sell at loss.

I'm gonna have to agree with this. Andrew House said that PSVR will be priced as a new gaming platform. The Vita is a gaming platform, and I remember when that was known as NGP people were expecting it to be a lot more than $250.

IIRC, he meant that they wouldn't have any profit from the hardware, not about an specific price or price range.

Rainer70

Hahaha. Yup. I think it was fine till PS5 :p
Hopes for them to sell at loss.

IIRC, he meant that they wouldn't have any profit from the hardware, not about an specific price or price range.

Has that been specified? This is all I can find on it:

The PlayStation VR headset is on track for introduction in the first half of next year, Sony Computer Entertainment Chief Executive Officer Andrew House said in an interview at the Tokyo Game Show on Thursday. The unit will be priced as a new gaming platform he said, without giving numbers.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-17/sony-to-offer-more-than-10-titles-with-first-virtual-reality-set

klaushm

At his quote was not specified. The only thing we could take from there is that they will price it as they price a new gaming platform. How have they done for PS4? Also, they never specified any price, yet, which is pure speculation from us.

Also, not too long from that, Yoshida said that they don't sell hardware to make profit, but to get an install base.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1135778
(Sorry. I'm on phone. Can't quote right now)

I think both quotes complete and confirm each other.

Rainer70

At his quote was not specified. The only thing we could take from there is that they will price it as they price a new gaming platform. How have they done for PS4? Also, they never specified any price, yet, which is pure speculation from us.

Also, not too long from that, Yoshida said that they don't sell hardware to make profit, but to get an install base.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1135778
(Sorry. I'm on phone. Can't quote right now)

I think both quotes complete and confirm each other.

Right so one could assume that their pricing strategy for PSVR will be similar to that of the Vita and PS4 (on the lower end of the spectrum of price range).

KingV

Not necessarily if manufacturers are subsiding, supporting and/or publishing content themselves.

Seems to me it would make more sense to subsidize the hardware and create a bigger market rather than subsidize all of the games and software...

skelekey

This!!!

32Gb Note 5 is around $700 and the latest iPhone is $650. Lol what are you guys arguing right now.

1) Last I checked, you don't need anything else to use your phone.

2) People are not looking to finance a vr headset.

3) Phones have become an essential staple of many people's lives. No matter how much people tout vr as game changing, a peripheral to a hobby will never seem all that important.

KHarvey16

Seems to me it would make more sense to subsidize the hardware and create a bigger market rather than subsidize all of the games and software...

They aren't subsidizing all of the software. Also, subsidizing hardware means losing money on each sale. Funding or contributing to the development of games is an expense.

KingV

This!!!

32Gb Note 5 is around $700 and the latest iPhone is $650. Lol what are you guys arguing right now.

If you're creating essentially an accessory for your mass market console, it basically has to be mass market to have any chance of success. I think that's the point.

What's the point of PSVR if like 1% of PS4 owners buy it? People that want to just play with the tech would be better off with a Vive or Oculus.

If they don't want some large portion of the PS4 owning population to own this thing, why sell it at all? At $450-500 this thing will sell fractions of the number that Kinect or Move did, and we all know what kind of support those got.

I think the last game for move was Johann Sebastian joust like a bit over a year ago?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The fact that the prices are different from each other is quite telling.

KHarvey16

If you're creating essentially an accessory for your mass market console, it basically has to be mass market to have any chance of success. I think that's the point.

What's the point of PSVR if like 1% of PS4 owners buy it? People that want to just play with the tech would be better off with a Vive or Oculus.

If they don't want some large portion of the PS4 owning population to own this thing, why sell it at all? At $450-500 this thing will sell fractions of the number that Kinect or Move did, and we all know what kind of support those got.

I think the last game for move was Johann Sebastian joust like a bit over a year ago?

It's silly to look only at price. What if people didn't adopt Move and Kinect because people think they suck?

brawly

I think the PS4 was like 489 chf while $399. Make what you will from that.

None of those shops know shit though.

KingV

It's silly to look only at price. What if people didn't adopt Move and Kinect because people think they suck?

If you're telling me there's an untapped market for a better move and Kinect that is significantly more expensive, I would ask to see your market research.

Sony and Microsoft didn't arrive at those pricepoints out of thin air. They did research and said 'Hey, consumers hate the idea for more than $150'.

Now, you can argue that they can't deliver on the core promise of Move and Kinect at that price point and that's why it was only semi-successful, but I have a hard time buying that there is a sustainably large untapped market that is just dying to buy $500 VR for their consoles.

I would absolutely buy Vive or Oculus first, because at least it's an open platform and there is likely to be software available on it for quite a few years.

If you're telling me there's an untapped market for a better move and Kinect that is significantly more expensive, I would ask to see your market research.

Sony and Microsoft didn't arrive at those pricepoints out of thin air. They did research and said 'Hey, consumers hate the idea for more than $150'.

Now, you can argue that they can't deliver on the core promise of Move and Kinect at that price point and that's why it was only semi-successful, but I have a hard time buying that there is a sustainably large untapped market that is just dying to buy $500 VR for their consoles.

I would absolutely buy Vive or Oculus first, because at least it's an open platform and there is likely to be software available on it for quite a few years.
Honestly it boggles the mind how pc vs consoles kind of found its way into vr. I feel like thats one thing if you are into it should be open to root for all competitors. You have np knowledge on what can happen with the bolded, those two can flop next year(plz god i hope not) and psvr could keep chugging along with plenty of content, we just don't know.

GT Sport, Robinson, SFV, DOAX3, RIGS?
Possibly No Man's Sky?
Ace combat 7,tekken 7,eve,driveclub,rez, the list goes on people jusy choose not to seek them out.

KHarvey16

I didn't say any of that. Personally I think good VR is way more compelling than good...whatever it is Kinect and Move do. I can easily imagine a world where a good VR experience on a $400 PSVR headset sells just fine. Not millions upon millions, as that isn't a realistic expectation, but hundreds of thousands or a million seems pretty great. I really like the "VR needs to be something everyone wants before it's something everyone can afford" way of looking at it.

KingV

Honestly it boggles the mind how pc vs consoles kind of found its way into vr. I feel like thats one thing if you are into it should be open to root for all competitors. You have np knowledge on what can happen with the bolded, those two can flop next year(plz god i hope not) and psvr could keep chugging along with plenty of content, we just don't know.

Well, its not really a roxx/suxxorz thing so much as Oculus and Vive have some different strengths (and possibly weaknesses) that allow them to make a case for their higher price that PSVR simply doesn't have. (Better/Best hardware, open platform, potentially longer lifetime)

SnakeEyes

Banned
I would expect proper pricing to be somewhere in the vicinity of US$399-$449. That would entice me to pick one up at launch. Any higher than that, when converted to NZ$, would force me to wait 6+ months until there was a good selection of titles to go with it.

Also, if CyberConnect2 aren't working on a VR MMO-esque game like .Hack// or Sword Art Online, there's going to be riots.

Well, its not really a roxx/suxxorz thing so much as Oculus and Vive have some different strengths (and possibly weaknesses) that allow them to make a case for their higher price that PSVR simply doesn't have. (Better/Best hardware, open platform, potentially longer lifetime)
And PlayStation has a dedicated fanbase(like vive), big name games they can attach to the platform,spec wise thy lose no questions sure. If thy can hit $400(lower is good too) they will be fine not Doa like alot seem to assume. Just like in the occulus thread the same thing happened and now look they sold out

KingV

I didn't say any of that. Personally I think good VR is way more compelling than good...whatever it is Kinect and Move do. I can easily imagine a world where a good VR experience on a $400 PSVR headset sells just fine. Not millions upon millions, as that isn't a realistic expectation, but hundreds of thousands or a million seems pretty great. I really like the "VR needs to be something everyone wants before it's something everyone can afford" way of looking at it.

I agree that it needs to be something everyone wants first, but I also think PSVR is particularly poorly positioned to prove that out.

Weird tech demos that aren't ready for mass consumer adoption don't really belong on consoles, IMO. It needs to sell millions to be a success, because that's what it needs to be big enough where it makes financial sense for developers to make games for it.

Kinect on 360 sold like 24 million and still only had a few decent games that actually required it, 3 of them were called Dance Central. If it only has a few million sales, no developer is going to look at PSVR as super attractive from a financial standpoint.

KHarvey16

I agree that it needs to be something everyone wants first, but I also think PSVR is particularly poorly positioned to prove that out.

Weird tech demos that aren't ready for mass consumer adoption don't really belong on consoles, IMO. It needs to sell millions to be a success, because that's what it needs to be big enough where it makes financial sense for developers to make games for it.

Kinect on 360 sold like 24 million and still only had a few decent games that actually required it, 3 of them were called Dance Central. If it only has a few million sales, no developer is going to look at PSVR as super attractive from a financial standpoint.

I think first party support for AA/AAA titles with VR and smaller games available on PSN would be just fine for this point in the VR lifecycle. This will be a longer process than some are expecting.

Mindlog

1) Last I checked, you don't need anything else to use your phone.

2) People are not looking to finance a vr headset.

3) Phones have become an essential staple of many people's lives. No matter how much people tout vr as game changing, a peripheral to a hobby will never seem all that important.
Most people don't need premium Smartphones.

Looking at a much smaller less mass-market target I don't see PS Vita sales as being the measuring stick either and many were amazed at the price they hit with that. VR is going to take time.
Well I don't believe it will be a short term success by that measure.

I think Sony's going for $399, come Hell or high water, but they'll be slapping a big warning on that version's box, "REQUIRES PLAYSTATION 4 CAMERA, SOME EXPERIENCES BETTER WITH MOVE CONTROLLER, SOLD SEPARATELY."

They may put out a "VR Starter Kit" that bundles the camera and spare Move controllers, sold separately, and maybe a Deluxe bundle with everything in it, but I think they're really going to reach for a $399 barebones kit. If they don't make it, it's going to be as close as they can work it, $429 or $449.

klaushm

Ace combat 7,tekken 7,eve,driveclub,rez, the list goes on people jusy choose not to seek them out.

I made a recent thread with almost 400 VR games listed, which 77 are coming to PSVR. People don't even try to bother searching for VR games at neogaf threads.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think Sony's going for $399, come Hell or high water, but they'll be slapping a big warning on that version's box, "REQUIRES PLAYSTATION 4 CAMERA, SOME EXPERIENCES BETTER WITH MOVE CONTROLLER, SOLD SEPARATELY."

They may put out a "VR Starter Kit" that bundles the camera and spare Move controllers, sold separately, and maybe a Deluxe bundle with everything in it, but I think they're really going to reach for a $399 barebones kit. If they don't make it, it's going to be as close as they can work it, $429 or $449.

This will not come without the camera packaged in it.

That would be hell when there are places that do not carry many, and it is a low volume item as is. Making it sometimes a pain to find in a typical "run out to a store a buy" scenario.

I agree about $399 max, and the included camera is the lowest cost item in the box for Sony. Remember, we sometimes see sales to score one for $20-30 from time to time.

It came into play because a closed system is inherently bad for viability of a product like this that relies on quick adoption. There's no guarantee Sony won't just discontinue support of this product should it not do well. Or provided it does well, discontinue support when the PS5 comes out trying to enforce a new headset with more proprietary hardware. It's not likely as it would cut into Sony's software sales which is their business model. But provided its very successful I have no doubt they just might pull something that's frankly anti consumer. I mean making it proprietary to the PS4 is in my opinion a mistake. Raising the price slightly and allowing it to work on PC and PS4 would likely result in wider adoption rates, pushing VR as a whole and giving Sony a foot in the door to potentially establish a platform on PC. Why couldn't Sony have its own store on PC?

A VR that worked on both PC and Sony consoles would be VERY appealing to consumers.

Top Bottom