• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

Mael

AHAH people still believe that VsXIII will be released?
At the rate this is going we'll be seing Too Human 2 before VsXIII.
I can put up with SE's output as long as I get my handheld games, heck I was more than happy with Tactic Ogre, KHs and TheatrRythm but this is getting ridiculous.
To think that I played to completion most of SE games and even bought all remakes and now we're having to deal with shitty Lightning games and vaporware.
It wouldn't hurt so much if Kawazu was actually delivering Saga games like before...
This new trailer already look more promising than anything not Type 0 (thanks again SE for never releasing that here btw) with the name Final Fantasy since that SGI FFVI demo.
Heck even the OST of Xb shit on FFXIII.

I'm more than willing to give people the benefit of the doubt but this is getting ridiculous, why not wait for Last Guardian while you're at it!

Oh and Chrono will never have a new game to it considering all no key members are interested in doing more anyway (by that I mean Sakaguchi, Horii and co)

Jac_Solar

I mean it's impossible looking like this that the game is close to the end of its development cycle. So there will be years to wait before the game – hopefully – shapes up better. For now it really looks terrible from every possible point of view. I can't get excited at all, nor I see in this a replacement for S-E promising titles (ARR, Versus, LR).

I guess it's quite easy to release a game in a short amount of time when the Versus' main character model already looks more impressing than the whole world shown in this video. If you want the attention to details S-E delivers, you have to be patient. Or else you'll just take this over that. Less polished, less stylish, more ugly... but developed in 2-3 years instead of 4-5. Everyone has different priorieties. Now, I realize with Versus they're taking a bit too much time, but the differences will be there. The same reason why XIII looks so better than XIII-2 and LR. Time helps.

I haven't seen any engaging gameplay there, just an empty mmorpg-ish world with some slashing, ugly hud, some numbers and walk. Ew.

The team of the Xenoblade Chronicles, as you seem to already know, are making this game. They appear to be quite competent, and, unless it's a deceptive trailer that actually shows the entire world, it appears to be one massive game in the semi-early stages, since they didn't reveal anything but a possible hint at the name, and some of the developers names. How can you get behind stuff like Lightning Returns (I assume the LR is short for that?), but not this?

zoukka

The team of the Xenoblade Chronicles, as you seem to already now, is making this game. They appear to be quite competent, and, unless it's a deceptive trailer that actually shows the entire world, it appears to be one massive game in the semi-early stages, since they didn't reveal anything but a possible hint at the name, and some of the developers names. How can you get behind stuff like Lightning Returns (I assume the LR is short for that?), but not this?

People just love Lightning she so cool and collected. Now with sunglasses.

Shirokun

I've just seen the trailer now that I had the chance. I don't understand all the fuss. It's uninspired, ugly looking, visually boring, MMORPG-ish, lacks identity and the trailer is amateurish. Doesn't help also that the develoment must really be behind. Not interested at all, almost offended by it. Xenoblade in its first trailers left a more positive impression on me, while I never took the chance to play it I still look at it with interest and sort of respect. This one is... an abomination.

I don't need an open world if that world looks so boring to explore.

You didn't play the game that it's clearly built upon because you thought it looked boring, and then try to wonder why people might possibly be excited by this?

The graphics weren't the sole reason Xenoblade was so well acclaimed, friend.

wsippel

Banned
I mean, duckroll... for real?

(two images probably taken both from pre-rendered cutscenes)

The differences are already pretty clear here. But I haven't started the comparisons, it's the topic itself going random. Monolith didn't run on anything at all.
The difference is that SQEX pumps way too much into small details, so there's no performance left to do scale. What SQEX does is a huge waste of time and money in my opinion. Extremely detailed character models add nothing to the game, unlike a huge world to explore.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
The difference is that SQEX pumps way too much into small details, so there's no performance left to do scale. What SQEX does is a huge waste of time and money in my opinion. Extremely detailed character models add nothing to the game, unlike a huge world to explore.

Please, how could I worship Light-chan's majestic left ear if SE don't put all their resources into it?

nikatapi

Damn, i don't even play JRPGs but both the trailer and you guys have hyped me a lot. This game could be a reason for me to buy a WiiU, along with the other titles unveiled during e3.

What do you think the gamepad features will be?The gamepad seems quite tailored for these types of games, i think that a lot of the hud elements could be displayed on the gamepad screen leaving the tv clear to enjoy all the beautiful scenery.

Also, on an unrelated note, wasn't there a rumor about a Monolith 3DS game?Is this still happening?

maverick40

MEANWHILE AT SQUARE JAPAN

LtiPZEl.gif

Damn perfect. Fucking square enix, what a joke.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Your imagination has the best Lightning model. You could even self-insert if you want.

But then all my friends and co-workers couldn't see her elegance and splendour. How could they compare her to wonderful, breezy day at the beach crab fishing if they can't visualise her sheer beauty?

gogogow

I mean, duckroll... for real?

(two images probably taken both from pre-rendered cutscenes)

The differences are already pretty clear here. But I haven't started the comparisons, it's the topic itself going random. Monolith didn't run on anything at all.

Erm....that vsXIII shot is 100% CG. Look at the damn fence. Look at......everything. "X" model is realtime.

In 2009 S-E was doing the same thing with XIII:
That was years ago and the visual style of XIII didn't aim at photorealism. Versus does.

That is a pre-recorded cutscene, similar to what ND does with UC. Using more detailed in-game assets in S-E case.

This is a realtime in-game model from vsXIII:

OM0aeQ0.jpg

Paracelsus

Versus doesn't look more impressive, the animation does though, Xenogattai probably is below Last Remnant on that regard.

Exentryk

Why are you comparing Versus and Xeno in graphics? Versus will most likely have better graphics, while Xeno will have more soul!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

I used one keyword in my previous replies. I talked about "priorieties". Mine are a better looking game, smaller in scale, but appealing to my taste. Thus I don't play TES, but I love XIII. Get it? Same reason as why for now I'm turned away from what Monolith as shown so far in regards to "X". I don't find it appealing to my eyes and that's why I'm not interested in finding more about its world, characters and mithology. The first barrier it's set, I can't pass through for now. If behind this barrier there's more stuff, I can't get to reach it because they left me outside already. I enter buildings that look nice and promising, not decaying and old.

Shinta

Banned
Versus doesn't look more impressive, the animation does though, Xenogattai probably is below Last Remnant on that regard.

Yeah, I watched both trailers yesterday and the difference in animation quality is huge. Noctis flows through combat while everything in X looks pretty stiff and awkward. Look at this part, huge difference. It's not just animation quality either, the character models, the spell effects, it's all much, much better in Versus.

Monlith makes great outdoor areas, but the last we saw of Versus was 2 years ago, without the Luminous engine upgrade. That's a long ass time. X has probably not even been in development for 2 years.

Fisico

Why are you comparing Versus and Xeno in graphics? Versus will most likely have better graphics, while Xeno will have more soul!

Most animations form X were taken directly from Xenoblade, and some new animations were really "rough"
At this point it's obvious it's still an early trailer, don't expect to see a release before the second half of 2014.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Yeah there's only 2-3 games I want from them and that's it.

2-3 games from S-E and just probably one from Monolith and one from Namco. I would not call that "bad", I mean a SH that can give you 3 interesting products in the next 12 months. Other publishers will pay to have that rate :p

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
2-3 games from S-E and just probably one from Monolith and one from Namco. I would not call that "bad", I mean a SH that can give you 3 interesting products in the next 12 months. Other publishers will pay to have that rate :p

Except unlike Square Monolith despite it's lesser library of products, all of them have been localized.

With Square you hope things get localized.

It is unknown if DQ7, BDFF will even come over here due to SE's questionable decisions. Type 0 I deem a lost cause.

And according to Square a world on the scale of what seems to be Monolith's project was deemed too heavy of a development cost to create yet here we are.

And to be honest it really is early to judge this new title but at least a trailer was shown. That's more then most can say about Versus which has been stagnant for over 2 years.

duckroll

Let's be completely honest here. Monolithsoft didn't run over Square Enix with anything. Instead, Square Enix ran over their fans years ago, and continue to run over them every other month with another awful announcement.

Except unlike Square Monolith despite it's lesser library of products, all of them have been localized.

With Square you hope things get localized.

It is unknown if DQ7, BDFF will even come over here due to SE's questionable decisions. Type 0 I deem a lost cause.

Really? Where's Soma Bringer? Xenosaga Freaks? Xenosaga I+II? Namco x Capcom? SRW OG Saga Exceed? All of them my ass. :p

wsippel

Banned
Most animations form X were taken directly from Xenoblade, and some new animations were really "rough"
At this point it's obvious it's still an early trailer, don't expect to see a release before the second half of 2014.
X is already in development for roughly two and a half years. Pretty sure it'll ship later this year, maybe early 2014 - and it'll still be rough around the edges. All Monolith games are.

I wish. Soma Bringer, one of the most fun DS games (and the only competent loot game on the platform), was never localized.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Let's be completely honest here. Monolithsoft didn't run over Square Enix with anything. Instead, Square Enix ran over their fans years ago, and continue to run over them every other month with another awful announcement.

Really? Where's Soma Bringer? Xenosaga Freaks? Xenosaga I+II? Namco x Capcom? SRW OG Saga Exceed? All of them my ass. :p

Oh those. My mistake. But you must understand, NxC and SRW:OG Exceed were handled by Namco.

But indeed, Square does not need help making their own coffin, they do just fine on their own.

Persona86

Banned
Versus is basically going to be the Final Fantasy fans have been waiting for, everything I've read and seen suggests that, it's going to be great simply because it's not the same team as the ones making FF13 haha.

There's no point comparing it to this game, they are two different worlds. (I wouldn't even compare versus to FF13) Also to the guy who said this Monolith game will have more soul....how do you know that? lol

Versus will not be cancelled, they have no reason to cancel it at all, yet they have many reasons to release it. It's common sense guys, Square Enix is just being a bitch and putting all it's attention on the Lightning saga before they "move one" After Lightning returns comes out, then Versus will be back to take the crown.

He's been waiting long enough.
PV1.jpg

Shinta

Banned
Let's be completely honest here. Does that qualify as Monolith "running over their fans" too?

Are you guys really satisfied with one game from them for all of last gen? Pretty forgiving if you're going to be that harsh on SQEX.

duckroll

Let's be completely honest here. Does that qualify as Monolith "running over their fans" too?

Are you guys really satisfied with one game from them for all of last gen? Pretty forgiving if you're going to be that harsh on SQEX.

I dunno about other people, but I've had no problems playing Monolithsoft games in Japanese. :p

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I dunno about other people, but I've had no problems playing Monolithsoft games in Japanese. :p

Me neither. The games are relatively simple to understand.

That's fine, but then we're counting Type-0 and Bravely Default also. Suddenly SQEX isn't so bad.

In Japan. And you may as well call the handheld division a different company altogether.

For one, it's an action-RPG in the KH vein, so all the FF fans who prefer RPGs to twitch action will be disappointed. That alones already makes your proposition dubious.

People will need to drop their old ways as Square has said they are leaning more on ARPG's for the future of the FF franchise. Bitch, whine, moan, complain, whatever. Square Enix is a train and it doesn't make stops nor will it until it reaches the end of the tracks it creates for itself.

Chev

Versus is basically going to be the Final Fantasy fans have been waiting for
For one, it's an action-RPG in the KH vein, so all the FF fans who prefer RPGs to twitch action will be disappointed. That alones already makes your proposition dubious.

Persona86

Banned

I'm talking about overall world, story, characters, the fresh experience, awesome atmosphere (that alone beats everything about ff13) exploration, airships etc

And as a Final Fantasy fan I'm excited to see what they do with the RPG combat.

I've enjoyed almost every FF RPG except FF13, the odds are against me not liking Versus. I actually trust Nomura and the other people working on Versus enough to not be worried one single bit, the same way I trust that Monolith will make X a great game.

duckroll

That's fine, but then we're counting Type-0 and Bravely Default also. Suddenly SQEX isn't so bad.

They're pretty bad when it comes to disappointing the fanbase in the last 6 years or so. I don't think most people will dispute that claim. They've made promises and announcements which have repeatedly failed to either materialize or did not meet expectations. Some good titles doesn't really change that. I don't think Monolithsoft is a "better" company than Square Enix because it's pretty silly to even compare a medium sized developer with a huge international publishing giant. But I think Square Enix running over their own fans is something which appears to be quite a reality, especially going by how said fans react these days.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm talking about overall world, story, characters, fresh experience, exploration, airhips etc

And as a Final Fantasy fan I'm excited to see what they do with the rpg combat.

Considering the scenario writer for Versus wrote the original mythos, the story should be good and there is the fact it is inspired on Hamlet.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I really can't tell if Versus fans are serious or not anymore. The game is basically MIA even after all these years with nothing indicating what the quality of it will be.

Persona86

Banned
Considering the scenario writer for Versus wrote the original mythos, the story should be good and there is the fact it is inspired on Hamlet.

Yep I've been reading up on all the people making the FF games, and Versus looks like they have all the right people.

With FF13 thou, I wouldn't say Toriyama is untalented, but I definitely don't think he suits the role as director, it just doesn't work right, it's not a recipe a master chef would recommend. Versus is a recipe worth serving at a high class restaurant.

Ok now I'm hungry.

duckroll

Yep I've been reading up on all the people making the FF games, and Versus looks like they have all the right people.

With FF13 thou, I wouldn't say Toriyama is untalented, but I definitely don't think he suits the role as director, it just doesn't work right, it's not a recipe a master chef would recommend. Versus is a recipe worth serving at a high class restaurant.

Ok now I'm hungry.

Yeah, it definitely has the right people. I'm sure everyone holds the director of Dirge of Cerberus in high esteem. Especially since he's the map director for FFX and FFXIII as well. Gotta love those long corridors. Totally awesome. I'm sure he'll do an amazing job.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Ok now I'm hungry.

Toriyama isn't suited for game direction, the loss of focus on the original XIII is proof of that. The guy probably has great concepts but is terrible at executing them, along with terrible writing supplemented with even MORE terrible writing by his lapdog Daisuke Watanabe.

Shinta

Banned
They're pretty bad when it comes to disappointing the fanbase in the last 6 years or so. I don't think most people will dispute that claim. They've made promises and announcements which have repeatedly failed to either materialize or did not meet expectations. Some good titles doesn't really change that. I don't think Monolithsoft is a "better" company than Square Enix because it's pretty silly to even compare a medium sized developer with a huge international publishing giant. But I think Square Enix running over their own fans is something which appears to be quite a reality, especially going by how said fans react these days.

XIV was a pretty huge mistake. I'm glad it's nearly finished, finally. Looks really promising now.

They've had a few bad PR gaffs for sure, like announcing Versus too early, announcing FFX HD too early, or not commenting on The Last Remnant PS3. I think they're holding off on showing Versus for too long. I'm not a fan of their PR strategies, but in the grand scheme of things, it's just PR strategies and it's the games that will ultimately matter to me.

I also don't get their localization decisions. Hopefully they change their mind at some point. But I went ahead and ordered Type-0 greatest hits anyway, so I'm over it. As you pointed out with Monolith, lots of games don't make it over.

I too think it's silly to directly compare them when you consider how many titles SQEX has released this gen, but that's what this whole thread was about. I'm glad you are more rational about it than most.

Persona86

Banned
Yeah, it definitely has the right people. I'm sure everyone holds the director of Dirge of Cerberus in high esteem. Especially since he's the map director for FFX and FFXIII as well. Gotta love those long corridors. Totally awesome. I'm sure he'll do an amazing job.

I loved FFX and Hated FFXIII, hmm I wonder why.

BadWolf

Yeah, I watched both trailers yesterday and the difference in animation quality is huge. Noctis flows through combat while everything in X looks pretty stiff and awkward. Look at this part, huge difference. It's not just animation quality either, the character models, the spell effects, it's all much, much better in Versus.

Monlith makes great outdoor areas, but the last we saw of Versus was 2 years ago, without the Luminous engine upgrade. That's a long ass time. X has probably not even been in development for 2 years.

Versus looks so damn good.

Yeah, Versus is the game FF fans are waiting for...

...and waiting for.

...and waiting for.

[Gets dementia]

Hang on, what was I waiting for again? The milkman to deliver my eggs?

Persona86

Banned
FFXIII didn't have a good laughing scene. That's what it needed.

OK all I'm saying is I trust the people making the game more than Square Enix as a whole, so I'm sure it will come out and it will turn out fine, the negativity you have seen in the last few years is not due to the Versus team but due to Square Enix making strange decisions.

I'm also saying that's it's silly to assume that Versus won't come out just because Square Enix has been putting most of the resources and focus into the Lightning saga instead.
Versus only went into full production in the last couple of years because of this. Once Lightning is out, Noctis can enter the stage, we just have to be patient.

But my main point was that's it's silly to compare this game to the Monolith game, they are going to be totally different.

I'm excited for both.

Eidan

I honestly feel bad for some people here. They're just so confident that Versus is coming. And despite Square's abysmal track record this generation on home consoles, they're even convinced that it will be some remarkable return to form. It's almost tragic.

Mael

Lol, Nintendo not localising Soma Bringer is the same as Square Enix not bringing over Saga 2, Saga 3, Bravely Default, Final FREAKING Fantasy Type 0 and countless other?
Are people really serious about that? Is this really the argument?

Once Lightning is out, Noctis can enter the stage,

At this point we've got a better chance of them focusing on Snow than Noctis...

Top Bottom