• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Akira Toriyama Designed Android 21

kunonabi

Earings are for fashion, glasses normally are used to see better.

I know nobody who wears glasses just to look cool, and i'm not talking about sunglasses.

I take it youve never watched an nba press conference. Plenty of people where glasses for fashion and it's possible that she was modeled off someone who wore glasses as part of her backstory anyway.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Dr Gero Jr (or whatever) lacked expertise in android eye development, and therefore had to fit 21 with a state of the art external ocular corrective device (or whatever).

There. Problem solved. Lord knows Dragon Ball can't have any contradictions or inconsistencies.

Trickster

wut.

hqdefault.jpg

Alright i'm sorry. She looks like someone who has never worked out a second of her life only 99% of the time, my bad. Why not give her normal appearance a bit of muscle definition? Makes no sense man

Dude wat, don't insult Hit and Cabba like that :(

Penishead and Stickboy sayian are not really what I'd call pillars of good character design

Neoxon

Alright i'm sorry. She looks like someone who has never worked out a second of her life only 99% of the time, my bad. Why not give her normal appearance a bit of muscle definition? Makes no sense man

Penishead and Stickboy sayian are not really what I'd call pillars of good character design
To be fair, most of the U6 Saiyans are thin.

I like 21.
I like Caulifla.
I like Kale.

I don't mind skinny Caulifla because that's how the Universe 6 Saiyans are designed. I can only imagine how much people would freak out if Super used Toriyama's more recent art style.

I wouldn't mind if she had more muscle but quite frankly I'd say that for a lot of female characters.

Razmos

She's got that modern dragon ball artstyle, which I'm not a fan of at all.

But she's still the only decent design to be introduced to dragon ball since the start of super. The current high bar for Super seems to be goku with pink hair according to a lot of people
Super has lots of great new characters

Nightbird

Its also got a ton of characters that look like they just cut and pasted different body parts together and called it a day.

Sounds like Goku/Vegeta/Gohan to me.

I mean seriously, take away their hair and clothes, and it becomes almost impossible to tell them apart.

Seesaw15

Lol @ people nitpicking an android that needs glasses.

This is the same series were everyone is named after vegetables, musical instruments, underwear and kitchen appliances. Toriyama likes goofy stuff.

Linkark07

Banned
Am I missing something? Why do people dislike Caulifla? I immediately liked her when I first saw her.

EDIT: Oh, but yeah, I'm overall a fan of 21's design. ...Minus the stupid fucking HEELS.

People dislike her because she attained easily SSJ and SSJ2, unlike Goku, Vegeta, Gohan or Future Trunks.

Hmm... if she's popular enough she could make her way into Super?

Bulma and No. 21 potential scientific rivalry? Would make for some fun hijinks between sagas. Honestly, Bulma could use a foil.

Maybe she'll rebuild 16 and that will give him a reason to come back, stronger than ever, plot device etc.

Hyun Sai

Come on people, this guy always put on glasses just for style, fights with them and been doing it for decades... Nobody complained.

She looks great. Glasses and lab coat combo is fine for that scientist look. She wouldn't need a coat, or clothes really, as an android to handle chemicals. I guess there's not enough anime characters with fake glasses to inform some about fashion in the real world.

benbeaux

Banned
People dislike her because she attained easily SSJ and SSJ2, unlike Goku, Vegeta, Gohan or Future Trunks.

In her defense, Super Saiyan already became a joke by the time Buu came around. SSJ2's stretching it a bit tho'. As long as she doesn't hit Blue any time soon, I can deal with it.

I like Caulifla and her design a lot, but I agree with some here that she could have a little more muscle in her physique.

I'm not a fan of the vast majority of Super designs. They clash with most of the old DBZ designs and for some reason Toriyama seems to have forgotten DBZ isn't one of his gag mangas, as the designs are more reminiscent of how those looked. Even characters from Z have weirdly small proportions now

On topic, I like this Android's design though. The other ones looked and dressed like humans (except for 19, sort of) so I don't care if she has a lab coat or glasses.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I like 21 /shrug

I dont like that a original character gets in over a actual character tho, but thats just a pet peeve of mine (the same pet peeve that makes me hate "guest" characters in games)

Assuming shes playable of course, is that confirmed?

Korigama

Come on people, this guy always put on glasses just for style, fights with them and been doing it for decades... Nobody complained.

Actually, he always took them off before fighting in the Alpha series, only started fighting with them on in SFV. Still, it is something that seems silly for people to complain about with 21.

Kneefoil

Not sure why glasses are such a big deal. Gohan was worn glasses for a long time now, and has even fought while wearing them, although I think he does always take them off when he starts taking fights seriously.

Not a fan of the rest of her outfit, though.
It bums the Fuck out that this garbanzo design ends up being the first female to go SSJ
Actually, the first female Super Saiyan would be Pan during the Super Saiyan God ritual, although we don't see her SSJ form directly due to her still being inside Videl.

Can't help but notice you forgot to mention the seven year old who fulfilled an ancient prophecy because his mommy hit him while training.

Or how Future Trunks got it through simple training in the manga version.

Or how Vegeta got god power without a ritual off screen.

Or how Gohan became stronger then SSJ3 by sitting on his butt for a few hours.

Or how Frieza jumped from getting his ass kicked by SSJ Goku to being stronger then Majin Buu by training for a few months.

Point is "they got a power up to easy" has always happened in this show. And yet people seem to complain the most about Caulifla for some reason.

MartyStu

Can't help but notice you forgot to mention the seven year old who fulfilled an ancient prophecy because his mommy hit him while training.

Or how Frieza jumped from getting his ass kicked by SSJ Goku to being stronger then Majin Buu by training for a few months.

Point is "they got a power up to easy" has always happened in this show. And yet people seem to complain the most about Caulifla for some reason.

Most of the complaints people have apply to Cabba first. She is just designed and written in his template. They should blame him.

kewlmyc

What the fuck? She is the Queen of DBS. <3

mfyXDky.jpg
She hasn't really done anything yet other than BS her way to Super Saiyan 2. 18 has done more than her so far in the tournament despite not having nearly as much screen time.

And yeah, A21 is my favorite design from Toriyama since Beerus.

Ferr986

More like stronger than Blue Goku but with stamina issues that paid off. That annoyed me a lot. Motherfucker could be GoD level with just a couple of months more at that rate.

More like stronger than Blue Goku but with stamina issues that paid off. That annoyed me a lot. Motherfucker could be GoD level with just a couple of months more at that rate.

Eh I was trying to show how he power jumped in terms of sagas but yeah he way passed Buu.

Peltz

This game still looks so insanely good every time I see new footage of it. WOW!

I honestly never though video game graphics would ever represent anime this convincingly.

This is now the anime glasses thread.

If they haven't been obliterated by an energy blast already, they'd need to be glued to her face to stay on during the stuff that happens in this universe.

By this logic, everyone's clothes would have disintegrated a long time ago by energy blast. Just a bunch of naked warriors running around.

Fj0823

Oh, I can think of a reason. Several Actually

She's new and new is always bad, also she's a girl. Girls can't be bether than boys in the series were sitting on your ass for a day makes you OP. And something something Super Saiyan genetics and emotional moments while training with mommy and daddy

On Topic, 21 looks great, I could do without the Harley Queen-esque dress though

Top Bottom