• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Akira Toriyama Designed Android 21

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The fact that this android who can fly and destroy small worlds with her energy blasts has to wear glasses is unrealistic and, frankly, it just ruins immersion for me.

Tsunamo

Please put Arale in this game. She's so fun.
Now that I think about it Arale would be a really good guest character considering her ties and inclusions into/on Dragon Ball. (and heck even its videogames)

Plus her gag manga powers would allow her to have a great joke moveset.

NEO0MJ

I don't mind the glasses (especially since DBZ suffers from major same face syndrome) , but I have to side with the people saying her outfit doesn't look that good.

Better than anything from Super at least.

Yes, I'm talking about this atrocity.

karihurawa.jpg

Agreed. I love Super but Caulifla looks abysmal.

Zomba13

Nah the problem is she is an android so why should she need glasses?

The other androids in the game have earings. They don't need them, why do they have them? Same with 17 and 18's fashion. They don't need to wear those clothes but they do because they can because they like how they look.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The other androids in the game have earings. They don't need them, why do they have them? Same with 17 and 18's fashion. They don't need to wear those clothes but they do because they can because they like how they look.

Earings are for fashion, glasses normally are used to see better.

I know nobody who wears glasses just to look cool, and i'm not talking about sunglasses.

Whales

Banned

I know nobody who wears glasses just to look cool, and i'm not talking about sunglasses.

There's a lot of people who only wear frames or wear glasses that have no effect on their vision because they like how they look with them though

KtSlime

In Japan, glasses are often worn for fashion, as well as improving eyesight, and blocking allergens (such as cedar pollen).

A bit to generic looking but I don’t hate it. One of my favorite Super designs is Universe 2’s GoD, probably my favorite designed female in the series.

Are there still things left that can ruin the "inmersion" in Dragon Ball? After we had entire plots of planets destruction because a god didn't like the food, or Goku protecting Earth because he hit his head when he landed on our planet (Edit: And forgot he had to destroy it)? But now an Android with glasses is weird because is "unrealistic"?

!?!?!?

It makes basically no sense for 21 though, assuming she can fight.

Just always been a pet peeve of mine.

Special glasses that stay put , even when she fights.
No , better .. the glasses are her kriptonite . she can't fight without those . Those whole arc will be to be strong enough to remove/break her glasses

i'm a GENIUS !!!

LotusHD

Banned
Special glasses that stay put , even when she fights.
No , better .. the glasses are her kriptonite . she can't fight without those . Those whole arc will be to be strong enough to remove/break her glasses

i'm a GENIUS !!!

Luffy got it:

giphy.gif

It took forever to destroy Doflamingo's glasses, goddamn...

Spinky

This is now the anime glasses thread.
What is the deal about people not liking her in glasses? Is it some "lol glasses = neeeeeeerd" shit?

If they haven't been obliterated by an energy blast already, they'd need to be glued to her face to stay on during the stuff that happens in this universe.

I-hate-u

Thread #524 derailed by Caulifla. Must be a record on Gaf.

Anyway it's pretty suspect they didn't have Android 21 stats along side Yamucha/Ten in the magazine, so I am losing hope she's playable which would suck.

Subaru

Well, Android #21 could be just a artificial human (jinzou-ningen / 人造人間)like #17 and #18 and have human parts. So, she could have her human eyes =P

Ferr986

Well, Android #21 could be a Cyborg (jinzou-ningen / 人造人間)like #17 and #18 and have human parts. So, she could have her human eyes =P

17 and 18 were basically full humans, other than the bomb they had inside.

Korigama

Her dress reminds me more of Toriyama's work on Dragon Quest than anything else. I generally don't have interest in the meganekko ("glasses girl") look that's often popular in Japanese games and anime, but I'd say the glasses suit her design. Practicality based on what should be her lack of need for them seems irrelevant when they were likely added for aesthetics above all else.

Anyway, she looks interesting enough.

Am I missing something? Why do people dislike Caulifla? I immediately liked her when I first saw her.

EDIT: Oh, but yeah, I'm overall a fan of 21's design. ...Minus the stupid fucking HEELS.

Arkeband

Banned

The other androids have hair on their head, they don't need hair, checkmate!!1

I also think this looks like Toriyama sketched her on a napkin, and she has a bright gaudy color scheme he usually uses with joke characters like Morrie from DQ8.

I'd rather have Dragon Ball characters from the show in Dragon Ball FighterZ but as long as they're only throwing one of these in here I'm not too concerned.

Trickster

Am I missing something? Why do people dislike Caulifla? I immediately liked her when I first saw her.

Annoying character with a bad design that looks like she's never worked out a day in her life, who goes from never having heard of Super Saiyan to reaching Super Sayian 2 in litterally a few minutes.

delta_reg

Annoying character with a bad design that looks like she's never worked out a day in her life, who goes from never having heard of Super Saiyan to reaching Super Sayian 2 in litterally a few minutes.
Bingo!

Anyway, Android 21 looks cool. Maybe she has glasses cause she's a cyborg and still needs them, it's totally possible. Or else it's just for fashion. Really, who cares? She looks cool to me, has kind of sassy controlling look, like she could be a good female villain, something the show has mostly lacked.

This is neat. I really like Android 21's design. I can't really fault any single part of it.

The bigger question for me is if I want her to continue wearing the lab coat during battle or not.

I know the thread is getting derailed by it, but honestly I kinda hate Caulifla's outfit. It just looks bad. Hopefully she gets a new outfit sometime because I definitely think she's an interesting character.

Better than anything from Super at least.

Yes, I'm talking about this atrocity.

karihurawa.jpg

Oh man, why you be saying bad things about best girl.

And as for 21, I'm a fan of the miniskirt+stockings more than the glasses. At least her plot isn't as 'under-exposed' as Towa.

Rmagnus

Banned
LMFAO.... You honestly never seen Korean idols or Japanese idols or pop groups wearing frames without lens for fashion?

Top Bottom