• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends |OT19| Three-Fifths of a Thread

Strimei

So is Liam adding/reading sub notifications? Because I wanted to say I'd been tuning in on his stream occasionally and was liking it quite a bit and then, well, I saw the poll on Twitter and chatter about it on here a little while ago and then, well, fuckin' A.

Seems he's leaning that way, which is a pity.

I fucking hate the constant "hey thanks" stuff. I can kind of stand it with Pat & Paige at least but I really don't get why it has to happen. I mean, its really just a "dance for me monkey, dance!" thing to me.

Edzi

So is Liam adding/reading sub notifications? Because I wanted to say I'd been tuning in on his stream occasionally and was liking it quite a bit and then, well, I saw the poll on Twitter and chatter about it on here a little while ago and then, well, fuckin' A.

Seems he's leaning that way, which is a pity.

I fucking hate the constant "hey thanks" stuff. I can kind of stand it with Pat & Paige at least but I really don't get why it has to happen. I mean, its really just a "dance for me monkey, dance!" thing to me.

Yep, agree with Strimei. It's the absolute worst, and I'm super disappointed that Liam was even considering it tbh.

That's why it happens. People like being acknowledged on stream, especially on popular streams. The more your reach, the more people want to donate so they hear their name or their comment on stream.

I'm fine with dedicating a period at the start or (more preferably) end of a stream to give thanks to people. During it is lame though, unless maybe a streamer is taking a breather from the game.

Fat4all

Banned
I like the way that EZA does it, where if there's nothing important going on they will occasionally acknowledge people (and sometimes sing!), but if they are focused on something, or playing something, or watching something, they usually leave the thanks and stuff until after they are done.

I mean, they kinda paid real money for just a quick shout out. I don't really get the whole "it's the absolute worst" mentality. I will agree that dedicating a specific time to that stuff is best though.

Strimei

Yep, agree with Strimei. It's the absolute worst, and I'm super disappointed that Liam was even considering it tbh.

Admittedly I have only watched a few of his streams so I guess I'm not really his audience at this point, but yeah I hate that he's considering it (and it seems to be winning).

That's why it happens. People like being acknowledged on stream, especially on popular streams. The more your reach, the more people want to donate so they hear their name or their comment on stream.

I suppose so, but its so dumb. I'm here to watch them play, I don't give a rat's ass that someshmuck69 donated $5 and says hi.

I continue to realize that the greater streaming universe is simply not for me. Pat, Paige, and a handful of others (Demolition D, assuming he ever actually streams a game again anyway, chiefly) are all I watch (and I love that Demo at least does none of that annoying streamer shit).

And I agree with Noblesse, if it has to be there, I'd prefer it at the end.

I mean, they kinda paid real money for just a quick shout out. I don't really get the whole "it's the absolute worst" mentality. I will agree that dedicating a specific time to that stuff is best though.

It disrupts the flow of things. Have you watched any of Pat's or Paige's streams? They get donations all the time and while they're good about now interrupting their playthrough, they still stop whatever they're talking about to acknowledge it (at least, Pat does seem to wait for lulls in conversation). Its fucking annoying.

I mean, these people already get a screen notification (and usually a sound too, which is also annoying) for their donations, why do they need to get more acknowledgement?

And then there's that "bit" tip system thing which is another visual acknowledgement along with a ranking thing for the best tip of the week or whatever the hell.

Edzi

You don't seem to get a lot of complaints people have.

It's pretty simple though, paying for attention is kind of pathetic, and so is streamer culture for encouraging and profiting off it. And that's on top of the fact that it disturbs the flow of a stream and is generally annoying for the rest of the audience.

Disgraced

I think the whole concept is a fucking sad way to get your rocks off, but yes, I'm cool with a time for it at the end. But when they're ticking off constantly and the player is acknowledging them then all meaningful commentary is killed and what the fuck is the point of watching if your brain is turned on.

It's that joke you've seen in multiple comedy skits where the interviewer constantly interrupts the interviewee to "thank their sponsors" come to life times ten.

*God damn it Edzi, why'd you have to say basically the same thing while I wrote mine and post it a couple minutes before.
😉

Anung

Un Rama
Guess Liam's stream aren't for me then. I hate that kinda shit. Breaking game flow to name drop sad acts with big wallets. Streams suck compared to LP's.

I'd be fine with an intermission or at the end segment dedicated but why would I watch him play a game to just to hear "thanks NarutoBoi320 so yeah Nier Automata is a thanks AttackOnShitan so yeah Nier is..."

It's easy money for Liam though so I respect the hustle

You don't seem to get a lot of complaints people have.

It's pretty simple though, paying for attention is kind of pathetic, and so is streamer culture for encouraging and profiting off it.

They're presumably paying to support a streamer whose content they like, not explicitly for attention. It'd be kinda super fucking weird to just completely ignore that. Max had some guy donate 10k a couple weeks ago, and has had multiple other large donations before. I'm quite sure the people watching at those times have had zero issue with those people getting a bit of attention.

Also, I wasn't saying I don't get why people don't like it, I just don't get the level of vitriol over it that I tend to see.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
This is a bit of a random thought, but it reminds me of when I worked at Cold Stone Creamery and was told we were used to be required to sing everytime someone tipped us. Fucking ridiculous and not worth it for a minimum wage job. Though there were some people who genuinely enjoyed doing it.

Honestly, I dont think its that bad, but I've never seen the streams where it is that bad, so I don't know. I think it works best for smaller audience tbh and the donations are like once every twenty minutes. The bigger the stream, obviously the more a mess it is, and I imagine Liam's streams are a decent size.

That said, money is money and at the end of the day, the people paying for their shout outs are the ones letting Liam eat, not me. I can morally look down on a place I don't put any money into only so much, ya know?

Edzi

They're presumably paying to support a streamer whose content they like, not explicitly for attention. It'd be kinda super fucking weird to just completely ignore that. Max had some guy donate 10k a couple weeks ago, and has had multiple other large donations before. I'm quite sure the people watching at those times have had zero issue with those people getting a bit of attention.

Also, I wasn't saying I don't get why people don't like it, I just don't get the level of vitriol over it that I tend to see.

If you're really donating to support them, then you shouldn't care about a public shout-out.

I'm fine with dedicating a period at the start or (more preferably) end of a stream to give thanks to people. During it is lame though, unless maybe a streamer is taking a breather from the game.

I watched the youtube of the stream he did the other night and he specified he would only be doing shout outs during breaks(like when he is switching games) and at the end. So as long as that hasn't changed ion the last 24 hours, at least he wont end up like a Pat stream.

If you're really donating to support them, then you shouldn't care about a public shout-out.
I think Liam also mentioned people being worried their donations weren't going through... which would be a fair complaint if I weren't sure there were probably several better and less intrusive ways to find that out.

Strimei

They already get an acknowledgement by way of those visual inserts that damn near every streamer seems to have nowadays. That should be plenty. (Though if someone donates an insane amount, like well over $100+, then I think that is worthy of acknowledgement, but not every Tom, Dick, and Harry who donates 5 bucks should be acknowledged two or three times each time)

Then you get guys who do stuff like "Here's $5, Pat make a really loud honking noise at an inappropriate moment while Paige is playing!" Like, seriously? Again, "Dance monkey! Dance for my amusement!" Its fucking pathetic.

I'm of the impression that shout-outs came after subs and donations started to become a thing. Maybe some people just want attention, maybe some don't. Either way, far be it from me to tell people how to spend their money.

They already get an acknowledgement by way of those visual inserts that damn near every streamer seems to have nowadays. That should be plenty. (Though if someone donates an insane amount, like well over $100+, then I think that is worthy of acknowledgement, but not every Tom, Dick, and Harry who donates 5 bucks should be acknowledged two or three times each time)

Yeah, but how exactly do you decide where that cutoff point is where acknowledgement no longer happens? Besides, some people donate mainly just to make sure the person gets a message that doesn't get lost in the chat.

Then you get guys who do stuff like "Here's $5, Pat make a really loud honking noise at an inappropriate moment while Paige is playing!" Like, seriously? Again, "Dance monkey! Dance for my amusement!" Its fucking pathetic.

I don't really ever watch Pat's streams, so I can't speak on those. I'm just going by the streamers I tend to watch, and I've never seen anything too bad, outside of one particular instance. So, maybe we're mostly just talking about two different things here?

Disgraced

I live a vitriolic, hateful life. Paying real money to be acknowledged by a famous person for 5-30 seconds isn't healthy. Yes, people also donate out of sincere appreciation for the streamer and no, it's probably not a terrible indulgence in moderation. And yet there are streams out there where the volume is so ludicrous it's very easy to assume people on it have problems. That's the fear.

Strimei

Yeah, but how exactly do you decide where that cutoff point is where acknowledgement no longer happens? Besides, some people donate mainly just to make sure the person gets a message that doesn't get lost in the chat.

Maybe its a bit simple, but to me you just choose a place and set a rule. Hell, I think Pat/Paige already have a bit of one that anything under $5 isn't acknowledged, so they already are doing it to some degree. And its fine if there's messages with it, they can even read it, but they don't have to go "So-and-so donated $5 to say xyz and also Pat did you remember to wear underwear today?" (the latter part is something common on his/Paige's streams, for the record)

I don't really ever watch Pat's streams, so I can't speak on those. I'm just going by the streamers I tend to watch, and I've never seen anything too bad, outside of one particular instance. So, maybe we're mostly just talking about two different things here?

I dunno, I think we are talking about the same thing here, really.

Shmuck donates $5, gets a visual acknowledgement that is near ubiquitous, often accompanied by a sound, so that's acknowledgement #1. Then they get a "thank you (name)!" as well as maybe a comment or something, that's acknowledgement #2. Then there's the tip system that is a separate visual acknowledgement as well as, if you're the highest tipper, a slot that puts your name up somewhere on the chat window for all to see, so that is #3 (and maybe #4 if you want to count the name part separate).

Its just so much visual and audio noise and disrupts anything meaningful that the people/persons streaming are talking about, and I think its absolutely idiotic.

Have a period at the end so everyone can get their wank, fine, that way at least I can ignore it. But doing it during stream is so masturbatory.

I dunno, I think we are talking about the same thing here, really.

Shmuck donates $5, gets a visual acknowledgement that is near ubiquitous, often accompanied by a sound, so that's acknowledgement #1. Then they get a "thank you (name)!" as well as maybe a comment or something, that's acknowledgement #2. Then there's the tip system that is a separate visual acknowledgement as well as, if you're the highest tipper, a slot that puts your name up somewhere on the chat window for all to see, so that is #3 (and maybe #4 if you want to count the name part separate).

Its just so much visual and audio noise and disrupts anything meaningful that the people/persons streaming are talking about, and I think its absolutely idiotic.

I think the sound notification in particular is as much for the streamer as it is for the viewers, so they don't have to constantly look at chat to make sure they didn't miss anything.

Also, Max is usually who I watch, and he reads donation messages either during breaks or at the end of the stream. He even turned off the sound effects during RE7 so he wouldn't be distracted or freaked while playing in VR.

So yeah, sounds like Pat is just bad at this, or I'm lucky in terms of who I watch, or both.

Boy oh boy, another episode of Pat Runs Past Every Enemy 7!

Didn't someone even tell him that there was plenty of ammo in this game? I don't get what's making him believe he has to be as careful as he is.

FlowersisBritish

Weird aside, today I checked out some of Liam's archives on youtube and it looks pretty alright. Didn't watch the whole thing, but I can see myself going through some if I want to check out an indie game or something.

So yeah, sounds like Pat is just bad at this, or I'm lucky in terms of who I watch, or both.

Streams have always sounded terrible to me tbh. Atleast video games (there is a whole group of craft streams among other things that are pretty rad) My ex tried to get me to do some streaming of my writing but I never bit. Well its good to know that when the SBFP eventually breaks up in the coming weeks, I can rest easy knowing streams are still going to be shit...

I listen/watch them to hear commentary on games and/or tell personal anecdotes and such. Not to give trite thanks or signs of appreciation to a bunch of handles nobody really cares about. It would just defeat my reason for watching if it's going to be "Hey, thanks a bunch DickButter62" every couple minutes.

I listen/watch them to hear commentary on games and/or tell personal anecdotes and such. Not to give trite thanks or signs of appreciation to a bunch of handles nobody really cares about. It would just defeat my reason for watching if it's going to be "Hey, thanks a bunch DickButter62" every couple minutes.
I disagree. We could all use a little more DickButter in out lives.

Gestahl

Pat "I will horde literally hundreds of bullets that the game is dumping in my lap" Boivin

I'm pretty sure he had like zero healing at the end of that boat section because of his insane compulsiveness. The strategy of dodging enemies would work a lot better if he stopped getting his face chewed off for gawking at random item crates while shit's popping off and just commit to it

Or you know just kill shit with his near limitless reserves of ammunition but beggars can't be choosers

Gestahl

Eh, he does finally start killing stuff in thw latest part. Who knows how long that'll last though.

He practically had to be forced into it though

*jammed into a corner with a fatty*

*still desperately clinging to his rounds while he tries to squeeze past under the torrent of vomit*

Moaradin

I'm fine with donation messages until they go overboard. The worst kind of example is like Maximillian's stream where there's a million different animations and loud sound effects going off every 2 seconds, and half the stream is spent reading messages.

Village

I'm fine with donation messages until they go overboard. The worst kind of example is like Maximillian's stream where there's a million different animations and loud sound effects going off every 2 seconds, and half the stream is spent reading messages.

I watch his streams

This is a vast over exaggeration

Siegcram

I watch his streams

It is not. Max is the first and so far only streamer I have done a complete 180 on and actively avoid because it's completely unwatchable. And I couldn't care less about most stream shenanigans.

I remember when Max's Week Of KI videos were fun to watch, then he started yelling out his donation crap in the middle of the match and you can tell when he got distracted from actually playing the game.

joe2187

Banned
I watch his streams

Nope, shit is super super obnoxious and makes his stream practically unwatchable. The stream Layout in particular is very offensive to the eyes as well.

When you compare it to Liams streams which is his tiny little head in the corner that blends into the background and a small watermarked logo in the other corner. Where he responds to questions naturally.

Nope, shit is super super obnoxious and makes his stream practically unwatchable. The stream Layout in particular is very offensive to the eyes as well.

When you compare it to Liams streams which is his tiny little head in the corner that blends into the background and a small watermarked logo in the other corner. Where he responds to questions naturally.

To be fair, Liam also streams alone, whereas Max frequently has 3 or more people there with him, not to mention all the shit in his room as well, so the green screen method wouldn't really work too well with his whole setup. Most of the time, at least.

Why the fuck didn't woolie just roll off a cliff when he got invaded?

Why did Pat make Woolie go into another zone?

WHY IS HE USING THE TOOTHPICK AGAIN

Woolie: "We can test it out, the Uchi is backup though" WOOLIE IT'S DOING SO MUCH LESS DAMAGE THAN THE UCHI AND DROP YOUR SHIELD

christ this LP is starting to be a problem

FlowersisBritish

Only about two minutes into the DS lp but MOTHERFUCKERS BE SHITTING AND FORGETTING ON THE GOD TEIR GARGOYLE HALBERD! NOW I'M FUCKING MAD! IT'S ONE THING WHEN YOU FUCKS ARE MAD ABOUT SOMETHING DUMB, BUT THEY COME INTO MY GAME, THEN DISS ON MY BUILD! I WISH THEY WERE STILL DOING THE MAILBAG SO I CAN MAIL THEM A BRICK FUCK I'M SO MAD!!!

Edit: in case people are confused. A brick with the message, Please toss through Pat's window you fucks

Woolie needs to always be inflicted by toxic so that he's actually forced to make interesting progress instead of putzing around with his 'funnels'.

Edzi

Why the fuck didn't woolie just roll off a cliff when he got invaded?

Why did Pat make Woolie go into another zone?

WHY IS HE USING THE TOOTHPICK AGAIN

Woolie: "We can test it out, the Uchi is backup though" WOOLIE IT'S DOING SO MUCH LESS DAMAGE THAN THE UCHI AND DROP YOUR SHIELD

christ this LP is starting to be a problem

Only about two minutes into the DS lp but MOTHERFUCKERS BE SHITTING AND FORGETTING ON THE GOD TEIR GARGOYLE HALBERD! NOW I'M FUCKING MAD! IT'S ONE THING WHEN YOU FUCKS ARE MAD ABOUT SOMETHING DUMB, BUT THEY COME INTO MY GAME, THEN DISS ON MY BUILD! I WISH THEY WERE STILL DOING THE MAILBAG SO I CAN MAIL THEM A BRICK FUCK I'M SO MAD!!!

Edit: in case people are confused. A brick with the message, Please toss through Pat's window you fucks

Woolie needs to always be inflicted by toxic so that he's actually forced to make interesting progress instead of putzing around with his 'funnels'.

lol, is it really that bad? Man, I feel bad that Woolie had to experience these games as LPs. Dude deserved to have played them first on his own.

FlowersisBritish

lol, is it really that bad? Man, I feel bad that Woolie had to experience these games as LPs. Dude deserved to have played them first on his own.

Its not bad. Its an alright passthrough as long as your knowledge of the DS isn't too fucking deep and you get legit bothered by people not playing "optimally (ie max damage and stats)." Im jusy salt because they didn't look at my favourite weapon and kinda dismissed it as trash. If ths Gargoyles Halbred was a woman, I'd something something something a lot of sex.

Edit: also keep in mind Im usually easy to please woth play throughs.

Not bad, it could just be better. He makes such slow progress sometimes because every time he reaches a doorway, a staircase etc, he will turn around and backtrack in order to map out his 'funnels'. The thing is at least half the time he's just turning away from a single room or dead-end... so he has to double back to it later, just to wander in and turn around and leave. Meaning by the end of the zone he has walked over the same parts four times.

Edzi

Not bad, it could just be better. He makes such slow progress sometimes because every time he reaches a doorway he will turn around and backtrack because he wants to map out his 'funnels'. The thing is at least half the time he's just turning away from a single room or dead-end... so he has to double back to it later, just to wander in and turn around and leave. Meaning by the end of the zone he has walked over the same parts four times.

Yeah, I can imagine. Souls games don't make for interesting LPs unless you know a lot about the game already, and I have a feeling Pat isn't the best guide.

Matsukaze

Woolie's reaction to the painted world...

raw

FlowersisBritish

Not bad, it could just be better. He makes such slow progress sometimes because every time he reaches a doorway he will turn around and backtrack because he wants to map out his 'funnels'. The thing is at least half the time he's just turning away from a single room or dead-end... so he has to double back to it later, just to wander in and turn around and leave. Meaning by the end of the zone he has walked over the same parts four times.

Yeah, I can imagine. Souls games don't make for interesting LPs unless you know a lot about the game already, and I have a feeling Pat isn't the best guide.

Yeah, that also has started to bug me. Thats why I try not to pay too much attention to the actual footage. I did with Sens and some moments really annoyed me.

God, I've been thinking back on the Slowbourne lp (and as a extension, Paigebourne) and i kinda loathe those playthroughs. Pat being the wingman means he pushes people to the most boring fucking builds and i hate that. If i ever see footage of someone playing BB with an axe now, i jusy exit out, i hate that weapon that fucking much. Thats why i love the toothpick, its different from the countless other footage of DS in atleast that one regard. (also hate Pats need to have max armor and optimal rolling speed. That mans lack of fashion souls fucking disgusts me)

It was fine for a bit, some legit good moments here and there, otherwise unoffensive background noise. Pat's been ok. But today's episode (actually frankly since he got invaded in Anor Londo) has just been the dumbest bullshit Woolie has pulled off. We're almost to Snailsborn level between all the hesitation and backtracking.

God, I've been thinking back on the Slowbourne lp (and as a extension, Paigebourne) and i kinda loathe those playthroughs. Pat being the wingman means he pushes people to the most boring fucking builds and i hate that. If i ever see footage of someone playing BB with an axe now, i jusy exit out, i hate that weapon that fucking much. Thats why i love the toothpick, its different from the countless other footage of DS in atleast that one regard. (also hate Pats need to have max armor and optimal rolling speed. That mans lack of fashion souls fucking disgusts me)

Better Pat guide Woolie's build than have Woolie struggling because he chose to boost Luck or something stupid.

The toothpick is garbage and you should feel bad that Woolie has tried to keep using it.

Pat is hardly guiding him. Like he's allowed Woolie to miss valuable bonfires and waste at least an hour of their own time after several deaths. When they got to Anor Londo Woolie just runs right by the first bonfire and decides to instead engage in combat with more enemies. I was just sitting there like "really Pat, you're going to let him risk being sent back a whole zone?" Technically it's not that far, but it would have been an unnecessary extra loading screen and about 3-5 minutes (since Woolie would have probably fought the guards again).

Really though Woolie just needs to just stop being so stubborn, at least for LPing. He's so adamant about it that he got frustrated and they had to take a break because he prematurely entered a new zone. And I swear he's only using the Partizan now because people tell him to use better weapons. I know you're a contrarian Woolie, but come on, you're wasting your own time!

Top Bottom