• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch's design is going to allow for great WoM

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
There’s something ingenious about the Nintendo Switch I haven’t seen discussed much. From first glance, it’s obvious how much better physically designed the Switch is than the Wii U. Consider how elegant and almost monolithic (and kinda like a Jawa Sandcrawler) the original Wii was in its physical design, relatively stylish in the living room of 2006, while the Wii U took several steps back and ultimately suffered from a boring, cheap appearance. The Switch (thankfully) invokes more of the former than the latter, at least in terms of accessibility.

dsc00460-0.jpg

Despite the large bezel, Nintendo’s new hardware looks sleek with or without a joy-con hugging either side. What I’m getting at is that the Switch gives the impression of a gadget comparable to any of the other tablets frequently used in public. There’s going to be an enormous amount of free advertising for Nintendo from people being offered a second controller and a round of something like Mario Kart. Zelda being available day 1 is going to make a huge impact on anyone seeing it played in portable mode. The disparity between the complexity and richness of Zelda’s visuals compared to the vast majority of mobile games is going to be enormous. The possibility of 2-person multi-player at any time makes the Switch word-of-mouth marketing gold.

psyfi

Banned
You might want to use "word of mouth" earlier in your post so people know what you're talking about with "WoM". And yeah, I totally agree. :)

You made a positive Switch thread on GAF?!? Wow you have guts.

I like Switch design, I find it sleek and elegant. The grey one, I mean, not the awful neon one. It doesn't look like a toy indeed.

Zakalwe

Banned

I like Switch design, I find it sleek and elegant. The grey one, I mean, not the awful neon one. It doesn't look like a toy indeed.

The neon Switch is the only way to Nintendo this gen.

You have no soul.

Oregano

I think the design of the system itself is pretty top notch and some of the games will have obvious appeal(SnipperClips) but I think the price will stop people in their tracks.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I actually think dispute my negative position about the console that it has a great design, a good potential And many interesting softwares

Issues are others, well known

"It's like a tablet, but with more expensive games and less functionality. Oh, and you have to pay a monthly fee to play games online."

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Yeah, it really is well-designed. Only thing is I wish the bezel was a little smaller so it would look much nicer with the screen on in handheld mode, but that's just being picky really. Worlds apart between Wii U/3DS and this. You're right that it's much more in line with the Wii.

Gotta agree there, it's a very sleek looking device (yeah, that bezel is quite large but still alright). The peripherals I have seen so far are looking good too.

guek

Banned
"It's like a tablet, but with more expensive games and less functionality. Oh, and you have to pay a monthly fee to play games online."

People don't talk like this. They'll walk away thinking "that was cool," not about every possible negative you can think of.

Kathian

Banned
Well it's the plan clearly. No different from any handheld. The lack of clear local multiplayer (over 2 systems) right now though is not a strong point.

wapplew

It's all down to practicality of Switch.
How easy and simple for it to go from one form to another, how much the system enhance the hybrid aspect, how practical share the joy in real world situation.
If they nail all those, we will have thread about "I think all console need to be hybrid".

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

"Look a Nintendo console to play Mario and Zelda, would you try it out? You can also attach it to your big ass TV 48' screen!

Concept is not Switch issue

People don't talk like this. They'll walk away thinking "that was cool," not about every possible negative you can think of.

If someone asks me about the Switch, they will be getting that reply. They should wait for an inevitable, potentially cheaper iteration if anything.

sure, design wise it looks great, but the ridiculous price of the accessories or absurdly low storage will also provide for good word of mouth.

guek

Banned
And I very much doubt you will ever see that in public outside of the odd child being kept quiet by tired parents.

People play on tablets in public all the friggin time, what are you on about. The point is this is going to be no different based on its appearance and people will be invited to play 2P because it's readily available at all times.

Yeah, it looks really nice. It's also going to be super easy to demo to people and I imagine it'll leave a positive impression once they try it

psyfi

Banned
And I very much doubt you will ever see that in public outside of the odd child being kept quiet by tired parents.
You won't see it in public much, but you'll see it at family gatherings, small friend hang outs, in dorms, etc. Kids will see it at their friends' houses, talk about it at school, etc.

Word of mouth doesn't just happen with random strangers on the street.

guek

Banned
If someone asks me about the Switch, they will be getting that reply. They should wait for an inevitable, potentially cheaper iteration if anything.

The topic isn't about people asking you about the switch though. Especially not you, considering it sounds like you're not buying one.

Harmen

I think it looks good and the concept of the detachable joy cons is attractive.

But really, the middle unit is an unimpressive fat tablet with a large window around it and a low resolution. In terms of looks, I mean. The specs are justified for what the decice is set to do (battery life would be disastrous with a high resolution sceen and the games run 720p anyways).

It looks much better than the WiiU gamepad which looked cheap from the get go, but I don't think the Switch will sell just based on looks to be honest.

Not

Banned
sure, design wise it looks great, but the ridiculous price of the accessories or absurdly low storage will also provide for good word of mouth.

GREAT word of mouth even

Like, I've already got 5 minutes of material ready to workshop at my next show

Rootbeer

Banned
I'll be playing my Switch on the subway/bus a ton, due to my work commute. It's part of the reason I want a launch day Switch: I can get a lot of gaming done this way.

I fully expect to get a lot of looks, questions or comments. Happened a few times with my Vita, but the Switch is even more of an attraction I think.

nubbe

It is a really practical system for common people

Shame there is no game like Wii Sports bundled that lets the general public get into the entertainment offering instantly

Getting the switch so when I play it at work by playing mario kart with the two joycons then someone asks if I could play, then see the looks on their faces when I hand over one of them for a battle race.

Oregano

Getting the switch so when I play it at work by playing mario kart with the two joycons then someone asks if I could play, then see the looks on their faces when I hand over one of them for a battle race.

Yup, I'm tempted to get Bomberman just for that reaction.(lol)

There’s something ingenious about the Nintendo Switch I haven’t seen discussed much. From first glance, it’s obvious how much better physically designed the Switch is than the Wii U. Consider how elegant and almost monolithic (and kinda like a Jawa Sandcrawler) the original Wii was in its physical design, relatively stylish in the living room of 2006, while the Wii U took several steps back and ultimately suffered from a boring, cheap appearance. The Switch (thankfully) invokes more of the former than the latter, at least in terms of accessibility.

Yea, the Switch looks tons better than those drab consoles. \s

ea-exec-confirms-game-for-the-nintendo-switch-but-anxious-about-the-consoles-mass-appeal.jpg

wapplew

Now that I think of it, There's not much room for revision if they want accessory to be compatible.
They can't change the screen size or thickness without making new Joy-con to fit for it.

ksamedi

Made a thread myself but missed this one. I fully agree OP.

Yesterday at work i was hearing some of the reactions of people on the switch reveal. Heard some interesting stuff. One girl was like, "I can play Just Dance in the metro with girlfriends, thats super cool". Heard some other reactions from streetfighter fans like bringing it to the office and having a multiplayer match during breaks.

Imagine seeing all sort of people playing the switch in various ways outdoors. I suspect it will have a huge word of mouth.

People play on tablets in public all the friggin time, what are you on about. The point is this is going to be no different based on its appearance and people will be invited to play 2P because it's readily available at all times.

Apple to oranges, what else does a tablet do? No need to answer.

watershed

Banned
Yes it has a very elegant design. I think it will be impressive for people to get their hands on and play an hd Nintendo game in their hands. Flaws aside, it seems to make a great impression.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Yea, the Switch looks tons better than those drab consoles. \s

ea-exec-confirms-game-for-the-nintendo-switch-but-anxious-about-the-consoles-mass-appeal.jpg
Ah, is that the dock? Hadn't seen that before. Disappointing how it looks as unappealing as the original 3DS dock.

Considering that will be what's on display near your TV I almost feel like taking back my previous praise..

madmackem

The vita is one of the best looking bits of tech still five or so years later, it had a ground breaking oled screen and ozzzoed of tech sexiness, none of that helped it when it didn't have games people wanted on it. It will come down to games again with the switch, if it's only Nintendo games again it won't do much better than wii u.

The Switch itself looks nice.
When the controllers are attached it's a sleek portable. The puppy controller is a bit silly but that's likely not what you show

The OP compared the Switch to the Wii and Wii U in order to make his point. So you should use the Switch in console mode for the comparison. If you are going to compare it in mobile mode then compare it to other handhelds or tablets. Last time I checked people didn't play the Wii U on the bus.

EVIL

you sound like a negative ass who just wants to press your opinion on people, why would anyone want to ask you?

How many tablets exist in the world today? How many Switch's do you think will be sold by this time next year for example? The chance of seeing someone with a Switch in the wild is miniscule compared to seeing someone using a tablet. Now imagine that small chance magnified by the chance that that stranger is going to just start up a conversation and invite you play their game? Are you serious about this?

Not

Banned
you sound like a negative ass who just wants to press your opinion on people, why would anyone want to ask you?

I'll ask him. Hey Jawbreaker, what's your opinion on why would anyone want to ask you about your opinion on the Switch?

The OP compared the Switch to the Wii and Wii U in order to make his point. So you should use the Switch in console mode for the comparison. If you are going to compare in in mobile mode then compare it to other handhelds or tablets. Last time I checked people didn't play the Wii U on the bus.
You compare Wii U and its gimmick+form factor and it's unappealing and not that impressive.
Also the fact that it's portable and has a TV mode is something that would allow for Word of Mouth since that's pretty interesting

Nestunt

Right now, hipster/millenial trendsetting (socialite zeitgeist and feeling-young culture) plus the fact that there are not a lot of alternatives for parents who refuse to buy a mobile/tablet for their little kids, are the only melting pot advantages that I see making the Switch a general consumer success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom