• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch's design is going to allow for great WoM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedark

"It's like a tablet, but with more expensive games and less functionality. Oh, and you have to pay a monthly fee to play games online."

Man, this must be a joke. The games we have seen look way better than the tablet games you refer to. If this is a reasonable argument, then we can pack up the whole non-mobile gaming industry: "It's a stationary box with expensive games and an online fee."

ksamedi

How many tablets exist in the world today? How many Switch's do you think will be sold by this time next year for example? The chance of seeing someone with a Switch in the wild is miniscule compared to seeing someone using a tablet. Now imagine that small chance magnified by the chance that that stranger is going to just start up a conversation and invite you play their game? Are you serious about this?

The chances are not small at all. I suspect plenty of friends playing outside in cafes, beaches, planes, busses where there are a lot of people around. They dont have to invite anyone but just by playing multiplayer they will draw attention.

The chances are not small at all. I suspect plenty of friends playing outside in cafes, beaches, planes, busses where there are a lot of people around. They dont have to invite anyone but just by playing multiplayer they will draw attention.

and the most often thing you hear them say is "does anyone have a powerbank I can burrow?"

Man, this must be a joke. The games we have seen look way better than the tablet games you refer to. If this is a reasonable argument, then we can pack up the whole non-mobile gaming industry: "It's a stationary box with expensive games and an online fee."

It's not about games looking better. If it was about better looking games the Wii would have sold about 30 units. It's about the perception of value. The games may look "better" (completely objective) but in what way does it appeal to:

a. People who already have a current gen console or are considering buying one
b. People who play a few games on their phone on the way to work or school

Leave the "Nintendo fans" out of it, because that's a very small portion of the potential user base. Does the Switch have mass appeal? Nintendo are asking people to buy in to a device that costs more than the competition with the main selling point it's a powerful handheld (or a really weak home console). So was the Vita, so what?

I'll ask you the same question. Are you serious about this? You're not right?

Real life isn't October's Switch presentation. Real life is people shuffling in crowded public transport to their places of works, huddling over their smart devices in their own worlds shutting everyone else out. It's people concerned that the stranger next them might be thinking of robbing them, and last thing they are going to want to do is offer their console to them. It's a world where Nintendo is going to sell a miniscule amount of hardware compared to all the other smart devices out there. How many multiplayer games on DS or 3DS did you start with strangers randomly in public?

ksamedi

and the most often thing you hear them say is "does anyone have a powerbank I can burrow?"

It has 3 to 6 hours of battery life. I suspect that the difference comes from lower clockspeed and higher clockspeed setting. Do you really think games designed with multiplayer in mind will use full power when portable? These games will run 6 hours. Thats more then enough.

You compare Wii U and its gimmick+form factor and it's unappealing and not that impressive.
Also the fact that it's portable and has a TV mode is something that would allow for Word of Mouth since that's pretty interesting

Once again, if you are going to compare the design of the Switch in mobile form, compare it to other mobile devices people would see away from home. Nobody is going to see a Switch at a lunch and compare it with a Wii U. They are going to compare the design to things like an iPad or Vita.

ultrathin-magnetic-clip-on-keyboard-cover-for-ipad.png
ps-vita-wifi-system-large.png

It's not about games looking better. If it was about better looking games the Wii would have sold about 30 units. It's about the perception of value. The games may look "better" (completely objective) but in what way does it appeal to:

a. People who already have a current gen console or are considering buying one
b. People who play a few games on their phone on the way to work or school

Leave the "Nintendo fans" out of it, because that's a very small portion of the potential user base. Does the Switch have mass appeal? Nintendo are asking people to buy in to a device that costs more than the competition with the main selling point it's a powerful handheld (or a really weak home console). So was the Vita, so what?

Yep, said what I would have typed up otherwise.

Sanctuary

I just noticed the location of the audio jack. Why is it set at the top instead of the bottom? Just for when using the stand?

ksamedi

I'll ask you the same question. Are you serious about this? You're not right?

Real life isn't October's Switch presentation. Real life is people shuffling in crowded public transport to their places of works, huddling over their smart devices in their own worlds shutting everyone else out. It's people concerned that the stranger next them might be thinking of robbing them, and last thing they are going to want to do is offer their console to them. It's a world where Nintendo is going to sell a miniscule amount of hardware compared to all the other smart devices out there. How many multiplayer games on DS or 3DS did you start with strangers randomly in public?

Im not talking about strangers. Im talking about having a go at streetfighter 2 with a colleage during lunch break,in a crowded company cafetaria or popping in mario kart and playing with a friend at the beach. These are real life scenarios that will happen.

Once again, if you are going to compare the design of the Switch in mobile form, compare it to other mobile devices people would see away from home. Nobody is going to see a Switch at a lunch and compare it with a Wii U. They are going to compare the design to things like an iPad or Vita.

ultrathin-magnetic-clip-on-keyboard-cover-for-ipad.png
ps-vita-wifi-system-large.png
I don't think attaching a keyboard to a tablet is very interesting? I get you're posting those picture thinking that they're more interesting than Switch but I'm not sure they are
Vita, while nice tech for its time, never really got a killer app or something interesting to show off like local multiplayer on a portable or an open world Zelda on the go.

I honestly don't expect to see this in many public places, or providing enough of a talking point should it be noted laying around at someone's house. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think I've seen more than one or two people ever even playing on tablets outside.

Im not talking about strangers. Im talking about having a go at streetfighter 2 with a colleage during lunch break,in a crowded company cafetaria or popping in mario kart and playing with a friend at the beach. These are real life scenarios that will happen.

No, it won't. People are not going to bring their expensive new toy to work with the sole purpose of wasting their lunch break playing Street Fighter. You know what people do on their lunch break? They have lunch, not play video games. At best you'll play something that only requires one hand, like most phone games.

No one is going to bring their expensive new toy to a place where water, sand and potentially high heat are main features. People go to beaches to relax or to run about, not play video games.

ksamedi

I honestly don't expect to see this in many public places, or providing enough of a talking point should it be noted laying around at someone's house. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think I've seen more than one or two people ever even playing on tablets outside.
Probably because it doesnt come with 2 controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom